Cat meowing and yowling all night- it’s driving us insane!

cmshap

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think it’s been longer than that. He was neutered mid-April. I think he’s forever a bed humper 😩
I know we all have different opinions/outlooks, so I'm not trying to tell anyone what to think. But I really don't understand why this is bothering you.

If he was humping many things and/or humans' legs I would understand wanting to at least try discouraging it. But since it is just his bed, and while just getting comfortable, I don't see what is wrong.

It's likely it has nothing to do with sexual urges any more, and maybe became a fixed behavior from back when it actually was about sexual urges, but now is just associated with comfort/relaxation.

My cat still humps at age 10, but quite rarely (at least I see him do it only rarely). It's also right between kneading and getting settled in for a nap.

My cat does have a behavior I think is gross, which is scooting on the living room carpet after pooping. I started a thread on it, but haven't resolved it yet. I'd take humping over carpet-scootong any day.

Is there ANY way to stop carpet scooting?

labstuff444

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Getting neutered will help big time!!
But I understand needing sleep NOW. Ask your vet about meds? Short term ones. Benadryl is (typically) safe and a sedative in right doses.
Might not hurt to ask 😅

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

lallorona

Cat Munster
Super Cat
Purraise
I know we all have different opinions/outlooks, so I'm not trying to tell anyone what to think. But I really don't understand why this is bothering you.

If he was humping many things and/or humans' legs I would understand wanting to at least try discouraging it. But since it is just his bed, and while just getting comfortable, I don't see what is wrong.

It's likely it has nothing to do with sexual urges any more, and maybe became a fixed behavior from back when it actually was about sexual urges, but now is just associated with comfort/relaxation.

My cat still humps at age 10, but quite rarely (at least I see him do it only rarely). It's also right between kneading and getting settled in for a nap.

My cat does have a behavior I think is gross, which is scooting on the living room carpet after pooping. I started a thread on it, but haven't resolved it yet. I'd take humping over carpet-scootong any day.

Is there ANY way to stop carpet scooting?
It bothers me enough to be concerned that he may still have lingering hormones. He escaped twice already. Last Thursday being the most recent. I had to make a u-turn when I was already on my way to work because he ran out when my husband opened the door and couldn’t get him to come back. Luckily I was able to catch him and barely made it to work on time. I’d like to think he’s adjusted (or still adjusting) to the indoor life. I’ve never had a cat who’s humped. My other cat never did it, so with Aslan it’s sort of new to me. And because this behavior started before getting neutered, I associate it with hormones. Now there has been some improvement. Like you said, it may be a comfort thing. But what if the hormones are still there?
One thing I forgot to mention, there has been cat fights go on outside lately. And that triggers him to run to the door and try to get out. I’m not sure if that’s a natural reaction for neutered cats? Shouldn’t he not want to start fights anymore?
I’ve been a cat owner for almost 12 years now and I’m still learning. Lol

edited for bad grammar lol

Last edited:

lallorona

Cat Munster
Super Cat
Purraise
Getting neutered will help big time!!
But I understand needing sleep NOW. Ask your vet about meds? Short term ones. Benadryl is (typically) safe and a sedative in right doses.
Might not hurt to ask 😅
Oh, he’s neutered now haha the screaming has stopped but once in a while he’ll meow by the door and attract other cats. But it’s not like before.

cmshap

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It bothers me enough to be concerned that he may still have lingering hormones. He escaped twice already.
I’d like to think he’s adjusted (or still adjusting) to the indoor life.
I am inclined to agree with your latter statement, that he's probably still adjusting to indoor life.

He may still have lingering hormones, as some cats can take a long time post-castration to fully adjust. But I'm not sure that wanting to escape is necessarily indicative of a hormonal thing.

Fully adjusted, neutered, indoor cats can get aggressive when other cats show up outside. Some of it is just instinctual cat behavior that may or may not have anything to do with hormones.

I've only ever had my one cat, but I've noticed that you just never can anticipate how cats will react to one another. Willy is the friendliest guy in the world, and he usually automatically assumes that every other cat he encounters will be receptive to rubbing/socializing. I live in an apartment building with other cat owners, and we sometimes let our cats out in the hallway for supervised socialization. He is friendly with every other cat, except for one. A new neighbor moved in down the hall a few years ago, and we tried introduced our cats in the hallway... but Willy hissed and swatted at the other cat. It was shocking to me because I've never, ever seen him do that before.

No idea why he loves all other cats except that one. This was years after he was neutered, BTW. You just never know. It's not always because of hormones... sometimes it's just cats being cats.

lallorona

Cat Munster
Super Cat
Purraise
I am inclined to agree with your latter statement, that he's probably still adjusting to indoor life.

He may still have lingering hormones, as some cats can take a long time post-castration to fully adjust. But I'm not sure that wanting to escape is necessarily indicative of a hormonal thing.

Fully adjusted, neutered, indoor cats can get aggressive when other cats show up outside. Some of it is just instinctual cat behavior that may or may not have anything to do with hormones.

I've only ever had my one cat, but I've noticed that you just never can anticipate how cats will react to one another. Willy is the friendliest guy in the world, and he usually automatically assumes that every other cat he encounters will be receptive to rubbing/socializing. I live in an apartment building with other cat owners, and we sometimes let our cats out in the hallway for supervised socialization. He is friendly with every other cat, except for one. A new neighbor moved in down the hall a few years ago, and we tried introduced our cats in the hallway... but Willy hissed and swatted at the other cat. It was shocking to me because I've never, ever seen him do that before.

No idea why he loves all other cats except that one. This was years after he was neutered, BTW. You just never know. It's not always because of hormones... sometimes it's just cats being cats.
I was worried that I wouldn’t be able to get him back. He doesn’t go to my husband. For some reason he always runs from him except when he has food haha but other than that he won’t go near him (then again if I was his size I’d also be scared of that big buff bald man too 😂🤭) so when he opened the door and he ran out he just knew he wasn’t going to be able to get him back, that’s why he called me. And even with me there with his favorite cat yogurt (churu treats) he would hide deeper and wouldn’t let me touch him. It took a while to lure him out completely where I was able to grab him without him running off. I was mad at both him and my husband😒 his collar tag reads “I’m an a**hole and ran away”. Now THAT was an a-hole thing to do 😂 (imagine if someone had found him and seen the tag). He’s always been affectionate but now he’s a lot more. He plays more too, and his zoomies are even zoomier than before. The humping is A LOT less. Only when trying to get comfy. I assumed it would stop after getting neutered. I figured it was all hormonal so since he’s still doing it I am wondering if there might still be some lingering in his body, especially with how he escaped.
Oh! The neighbors cat comes over to visit him sometimes and I always let them socialize (leashed). He bit her on the scruff and mounted her but I pulled him back. So that’s another thing that kind of makes me suspect that he might still have lingering hormones… unless it’s a dominant thing?

hahaha aw maybe it’s the same like with us? Like we can be social people but then there is always that one person that we just don’t like for no reason at all? 😆 cats are strange. But so are we. Cats really do pick and choose who to “like” and who not to. I guess your neighbors cat got the unlucky card. My other male cat, Anubis, became less affectionate after neutering, but Aslan became a lot more. I always knew neutering changes certain behaviors, makes them less aggressive, etc. but I still don’t understand how after getting Anubis neutered, he is not that affectionate cat he once was. He only wants love on his terms.

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Some cats are just fighting fools. Neutered or not, they love to fight. Best guess is it's about territory. Even a neutered male will want his hunting space un-infested with strange cats.

cmshap

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My other male cat, Anubis, became less affectionate after neutering, but Aslan became a lot more. I always knew neutering changes certain behaviors, makes them less aggressive, etc. but I still don’t understand how after getting Anubis neutered, he is not that affectionate cat he once was. He only wants love on his terms.
Remember that neutering happens relatively early in a cat's life (assuming this applies to Anubis). The cat still has more emotional growth and environmental adaptation to go through, regardless.

You could be correct, that being neutered produced this change... or, it could have been a natural evolution of his behavior as he got a little bit older.

One thing I had to learn about cats, and how they display affection, is that it's not like humans (or dogs; I personally was a dog owner most of my life and had to learn there are stark differences). Only wanting love on their terms IS affection with cats.

With many cats, just being in the same room or area as you is often one way they display affection for you. Even in some cases when they are hiding or invisible, but around.

Willy was physically affectionate from early on, but it had its limits in those initial months after his rescue. He'd knead/purr/settle on my lap for a while, but then go behind/under the couch where I was sitting for a while, and just chill near me. When he would hide like that, it was never in another room or away from me.

I just had to learn to give him space in those moments... of course my initial reaction, having never had a cat before, was "something is wrong," but I learned it was perfectly normal, and just a phase he was going through.