Cat meowing and yowling all night- it’s driving us insane!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

lallorona

Cat Munster
Super Cat
Purraise
Oh goodness.
How many more days until his neuter?

Are there many strays in your area?
8 more days. He has his neutered date scheduled for next Sunday 4/16. We have to drop him off between 6:30- 7 am that day.

cmshap

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
8 more days. He has his neutered date scheduled for next Sunday 4/16. We have to drop him off between 6:30- 7 am that day.
I keep saying "I hate to say it" in this thread 😅 but I would expect AT LEAST a few more weeks of this behavior, since the neuter appointment is still one week away, and then you have the recovery plus hormonal rebalancing time to factor in.

lallorona

Cat Munster
Super Cat
Purraise
I've never lived anywhere with strays. Except for my cat Willy who was the only stray in my area who randomly showed up outside my door.

In a stray-heavy area, why would they sit outside meowing?

I'm just curious about this.
There are a few strays around my area, but a lot of them I know who the owner is. They have cats that free roam. Aslan is from another litter though. I believe his mom is I guess you can say , a “descendant” from a litter that once belonged to the person living next to us before he died. He too had a few cats. There’s always been cats since I’ve moved here.

lallorona

Cat Munster
Super Cat
Purraise
I keep saying "I hate to say it" in this thread 😅 but I would expect AT LEAST a few more weeks of this behavior, since the neuter appointment is still one week away, and then you have the recovery plus hormonal rebalancing time to factor in.
I have another cat who stayed with my parents when I moved out. He is also neutered but never has this issue. I think it might be because he wasn’t sexually mature yet though. Aslan is already a year old, so I’m a little late in the game 😅

cmshap

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have another cat who stayed with my parents when I moved out. He is also neutered but never has this issue. I think it might be because he wasn’t sexually mature yet though. Aslan is already a year old, so I’m a little late in the game 😅
I took my cat in from outside around a year old. And didn't get him neutered for about 6 more months, but that was because he was sick, and had significant health problems in the beginning that made it riskier for him to have surgery with general anesthesia.

He humped my leg A LOT in the beginning 😅 but never yowled. Except until later due to separation anxiety.

He still humps my leg actually. Even 8-9 years after being neutered. I've looked this up and found out it's actually masturbation.

Does Your Cat Like to, Umm, Pleasure Himself? - Catster

Just another interestingly weird thing about owning a cat 😅

I've talked about this in a few other threads, but one thing I've learned about cats, after having my first one ever for 8 years, is their memories last forever.

Some males learn how to pleasure themselves at an early age and never forget (just like us humans). Even after they get neutered, they don't forget.

Last edited:

lallorona

Cat Munster
Super Cat
Purraise
I took my cat in from outside around a year old. And didn't get him neutered for about 6 more months, but that was because he was sick, and had significant health problems in the beginning that made it riskier for him to have surgery with general anesthesia.

He humped my leg A LOT in the beginning 😅 but never yowled. Except until later due to separation anxiety.

He still humps my leg actually. Even 8-9 years after being neutered. I've looked this up and found out it's actually masturbation.

Does Your Cat Like to, Umm, Pleasure Himself? - Catster

Just another interestingly weird thing about owning a cat 😅

I've talked about this in a few other threads, but one thing I've learned about cats, after having my first one ever for 8 years, is their memories last forever.

Some males learn how to pleasure themselves at an early age and never forget (just like us humans). Even after they get neutered, they don't forget.
This is kind of embarrassing but he once got a little too affectionate with me that he bit my neck 😂😂😂 whole time I was thinking “aw, he really loves me.” He had a very high pitched meow before he got a grip of my neck. He didn’t bite me hard or anything. My sister came over once to babysit my daughter while my husband and I went out & she told me she saw another cat trying to hump Aslan but he kept running away 😂

lallorona

Cat Munster
Super Cat
Purraise
I read through the article and seen the “red rocket” comment. My husband said it looks like overused “lipstick”. 😂

cmshap

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
This is kind of embarrassing but he once got a little too affectionate with me that he bit my neck 😂😂😂 whole time I was thinking “aw, he really loves me.” He had a very high pitched meow before he got a grip of my neck. He didn’t bite me hard or anything. My sister came over once to babysit my daughter while my husband and I went out & she told me she saw another cat trying to hump Aslan but he kept running away 😂
Don't be embarrassed, it's just conflation of sexual urges with affection.

An interesting aspect of it with most males who hump/masturbate is that it almost always starts with kneading, and then turns into humping. Before being neutered (castrated) he would leave some fluid wherever he was humping. After, he now occasionally leaves just a few drops. From what I've gleaned from research, the fluid he leaves now is coming from the prostate gland.

I like to joke that because it starts with kneading, which is a kitten/nursing behavior, my cat has mommy issues.

My cat has never bit during "mating."

iPappy

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
lallorona lallorona would a catio be an option for him to spend time in (after he's neutered) during the day and hopefully keep him appeased at night?

lallorona

Cat Munster
Super Cat
Purraise
lallorona lallorona would a catio be an option for him to spend time in (after he's neutered) during the day and hopefully keep him appeased at night?
No unfortunately my apartment has no room for a catio, and say for instance we did have room I don’t think the landlord would be ok with us building one. Only option is having him on a leash, which we have been doing.

lallorona

Cat Munster
Super Cat
Purraise
Don't be embarrassed, it's just conflation of sexual urges with affection.

An interesting aspect of it with most males who hump/masturbate is that it almost always starts with kneading, and then turns into humping. Before being neutered (castrated) he would leave some fluid wherever he was humping. After, he now occasionally leaves just a few drops. From what I've gleaned from research, the fluid he leaves now is coming from the prostate gland.

I like to joke that because it starts with kneading, which is a kitten/nursing behavior, my cat has mommy issues.

My cat has never bit during "mating."
I already know when he’s TOO affectionate followed by a high pitched meow is when he’s ready to launch at me.

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
There are a few strays around my area, but a lot of them I know who the owner is. They have cats that free roam. Aslan is from another litter though. I believe his mom is I guess you can say , a “descendant” from a litter that once belonged to the person living next to us before he died. He too had a few cats. There’s always been cats since I’ve moved here.
Hopefully after his neuter, the cats outside won't continue to bug him. You can try dusting some used coffee grounds outside your home to keep the strays from spraying or marking territory to prevent that.

lallorona

Cat Munster
Super Cat
Purraise
I recorded Aslan when he was doing his nightly meowing and yowling and when I played the video he started going crazy looking… for himself. Does he not know those meows are his?

cmshap

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I recorded Aslan when he was doing his nightly meowing and yowling and when I played the video he started going crazy looking… for himself. Does he not know those meows are his?
No, they don't. I've already laughed at Willy's reactions to videos I've taken of him.

From what I understand, self-awareness is a higher-level cognitive function only in animals with a larger neocortex-to-brain-volume ratio, which cats simply don't have.

Which is why this forum exists. We wouldn't be trying to solve cat behavioral issues if they were "simply" smart enough to act smarter.

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
have you told your vet what he's doing? Maybe play a recording of his night yowling? There is a female in heat near you. She may well be inside a house and never leaving it. The toms are collecting to call to her. (We owned the female. I think we had 10 or more toms in the yard every day for a week...two weeks.)

Once you tell you vet what's going on that you aren't sleeping and are becoming afraid to drive, least you get in an accident on the way to work or coming home, maybe he will give you some cat tranquilizers. Be sure you ask for some that work every time, not the one that sometimes works and sometimes doesn't. (I can't remember the name of that stupid shit since it would sometimes work and sometimes not work for the same dog and you never knew if it would or not. I nearly broke one of my legs because of that.)

lallorona

Cat Munster
Super Cat
Purraise
have you told your vet what he's doing? Maybe play a recording of his night yowling? There is a female in heat near you. She may well be inside a house and never leaving it. The toms are collecting to call to her. (We owned the female. I think we had 10 or more toms in the yard every day for a week...two weeks.)

Once you tell you vet what's going on that you aren't sleeping and are becoming afraid to drive, least you get in an accident on the way to work or coming home, maybe he will give you some cat tranquilizers. Be sure you ask for some that work every time, not the one that sometimes works and sometimes doesn't. (I can't remember the name of that stupid shit since it would sometimes work and sometimes not work for the same dog and you never knew if it would or not. I nearly broke one of my legs because of that.)
I havent. When I took him to his pre-op appt he wasn’t behaving this way. It wasn’t until I kept him indoors for good when he started throwing tantrums LOL it’s been this way for 3 weeks now. His neuter appt is next Sunday.

lallorona

Cat Munster
Super Cat
Purraise
Hopefully after his neuter, the cats outside won't continue to bug him. You can try dusting some used coffee grounds outside your home to keep the strays from spraying or marking territory to prevent that.
I think I’m going to need that coffee to stay awake during the day after Aslan kept me up all night LOL never heard of that though. Does coffee really repel cats?

lallorona

Cat Munster
Super Cat
Purraise
No, they don't. I've already laughed at Willy's reactions to videos I've taken of him.

From what I understand, self-awareness is a higher-level cognitive function only in animals with a larger neocortex-to-brain-volume ratio, which cats simply don't have.

Which is why this forum exists. We wouldn't be trying to solve cat behavioral issues if they were "simply" smart enough to act smarter.
I recorded his reaction too. Another thing I’ve seen him do is stare at himself in the mirror. And he’ll stay like that for a while.

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I think I’m going to need that coffee to stay awake during the day after Aslan kept me up all night LOL never heard of that though. Does coffee really repel cats?
It reduces them coming over. Most don't like the smell. And since coffee is a good odor neutralizer, it can soak up scents of them to some extent.

It helped when Nobel had some deffered agression from my neighbour's indoor/outdoor cat.