Cat loose

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
When sensory overload in regards to cats has been brought up to me, it was in the context of overstimulation. The cat is done being petted and turns around and swats you. I suppose in a whole different context it could mean that there is too much to distract her outdoors? I have had neighbors who did not like animals and used the repellent spray but it always seemed ineffective. Maybe it is better now though. If you use it, make sure that you are not excluding her, so to speak, from the area you want her to be in.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Bubblesmom2014

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I’m going to place some catnip around the areas I have seen her at. At the moment we are just monitoring her movements on our cameras. Hopefully we will catch her very soon. Since this is her very first venture outside it could possibly take a little longer than normal to actually catch her.
Im willing to spray my entire yard to keep her within the boundaries of my property! I was hoping it wouldn’t take this long to catch her. But it seems like she is still disoriented and can’t figure out how to get back to me?

Bubblesmom2014

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Are there things she'd investigate that aren't food/smells? Like a kitten mewling or cat crying or other sounds? What about a remote-control mouse or something that you could operate from a distance to lure her under the drop trap? Or maybe like a literal bale of catnip... And I don't know how well cat repellant works but maybe you could mark the boundaries of where you want her to travel (when she's within them of course) so she doesn't stray farther?
I’m just monitoring her movements for a few days and see what I can learn from what she’s doing at night and where she’s moving to and from. This has been very emotional for me. I seen her on one of my cameras last night and she headed towards my patio and I found evidence that she had gotten into the trash from the cookout on the 4th of July. Maybe she’s starting to get hungry enough to find her way into a trap? The next few nights will tell me a lot

Bubblesmom2014

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Okay cat friends! I need lots of energetic vibes and good vibes for today. I found my cat is HUNGRY! She was eating out of the garbage last night so we set a Have a heart trap where the garbage was laying and used the same bags and put chicken in it! This is what I found this morning! Lots of good vibes and prayers please!

Attachments

Bubblesmom2014

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Well it’s sad to say, but no bubbles sightings last night because she had gotten something to eat. So I’m going to leave the trap with chicken out and see what happens. Hubby wants to put food stations out for her with no traps. I don’t think it’s a good idea. We will never catch her like that.

sarah430

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Well it’s sad to say, but no bubbles sightings last night because she had gotten something to eat. So I’m going to leave the trap with chicken out and see what happens. Hubby wants to put food stations out for her with no traps. I don’t think it’s a good idea. We will never catch her like that.
That might not be a bad idea. My strategy was to set up a feeding routine to get her to come around regularly. I wouldn't leave food out all the time, but put some out in the same spot twice a day, early morning and late evening when she was more active. Something to consider to establish a routine to her coming out.

Hang in there! I know it's hard to be patient.

Bubblesmom2014

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Today now 42 days since she got let out! I’m so frustrated that she not showing herself . Only time we see her is in the middle of the night when not another sole is around and I’m scared to go outside when she’s there for fear of chasing her off. But at this point I’m really considering going outside when I do see her and see what she does.

Bubblesmom2014

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
That might not be a bad idea. My strategy was to set up a feeding routine to get her to come around regularly. I wouldn't leave food out all the time, but put some out in the same spot twice a day, early morning and late evening when she was more active. Something to consider to establish a routine to her coming out.

Hang in there! I know it's hard to be patient.
I will do this for a few days and see how she acts.
I just read an article about hard to trap cats. There are a few ideas about how to get her used to the trap that may help get her back home

Talien

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Do you have an entryway or mud room or something that opens to the outside and can be closed from the rest of the house? If so, put her litterbox and other familiar things in there and leave the outside door open, with the inner door closed so raccoons and such can't wander into your house. If the inner door is solid wood, replace it with a storm door or screen door with a glass pane in it so you can see into the room to watch for her.

If that's not an option, does she normally sleep near you? If so, try camping out in the yard in a small tent and see if that lures her in.

Sean35

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I'm just now seeing this thread so excuse me if I missed something, but have you tried placing food outside the trap (live or drop), then gradually moving it closer until it is placed inside?

In trying to think of some unorthodox strategies here as well. Maybe placing a large cat tent or something similar outside. Something that is open enough that the cat will consider entering, but that can also be used for confinement.

Bubblesmom2014

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Do you have an entryway or mud room or something that opens to the outside and can be closed from the rest of the house? If so, put her litterbox and other familiar things in there and leave the outside door open, with the inner door closed so raccoons and such can't wander into your house. If the inner door is solid wood, replace it with a storm door or screen door with a glass pane in it so you can see into the room to watch for her.

If that's not an option, does she normally sleep near you? If so, try camping out in the yard in a small tent and see if that lures her in.
I wish I had a mud room or garage she could find her way back to.
she does like to sleep with me normally but being a displaced cat she isn’t going to come to me outside in a tent either. Believe me I’d love nothing more than to have her just walk back into either the house or my arms

Remi&RiRi

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I just got done reading through this thread. As you may remember my cat got out recently too. It was for a short time but I just wanted to chime in and say that I am aware of how emotional this must be. You have outdone yourself with the lengths you are going to for your fur baby. I can agree that when a cat who only knows the indoors gets out its scary. I have 2 cats, Remi who I bonded with early on as a kitten and RiRi who I adopted with little knowledge or information about her background. Long story short I have taken my cat Remi out a few times on my patio to brush him. He is the type of cat that is so connected to people, he is always where I am and never leaves my side so bringing him out for a few minutes has never been a problem. Well the one time I did this recently with RiRi, you know how it ended up. Like your cat, she went into survival mode and ran off. I think it's just in some cats DNA that being in an unfamiliar outdoor environment triggers something in them. We spent several hours trying to get her back. I myself got too impatient and was not thinking enough about making sure not to startle her. I finally spotted her after looking through our big hedge that lines our yard. I walked around to the other side to pick her up and instead of immediately bringing her inside, while holding her I tried to walk back to the opposite side of the hedge to pick up my phone. Once I bent down to get my phone, she started squirming. I tried to keep my grip on her and she lashed out at me, hissing, scratching and laying a pretty deep bite on me. I have been trying to heal my wounds (figuratively and literally) for the past couple of days. It took me awhile after getting her back safe and sound to realize that she wasn't trying to 'hurt me hurt me' out of disliking me but that in that moment she saw me as a threat. Her surroundings where unfamiliar to her so I as well became unfamiliar to her. I did take it personally for awhile because it was hard not to think how could she do that to me?! Because while I was getting emotional and thinking about all of the love we shared, she could not because cats don't have that ability. They survive first and love us second but I can't hold that against her. It seems like you've done a really good job of remembering that. Day by day we are getting back to our normal and I hope you get that chance too :heartshape:

Bubblesmom2014

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I just got done reading through this thread. As you may remember my cat got out recently too. It was for a short time but I just wanted to chime in and say that I am aware of how emotional this must be. You have outdone yourself with the lengths you are going to for your fur baby. I can agree that when a cat who only knows the indoors gets out its scary. I have 2 cats, Remi who I bonded with early on as a kitten and RiRi who I adopted with little knowledge or information about her background. Long story short I have taken my cat Remi out a few times on my patio to brush him. He is the type of cat that is so connected to people, he is always where I am and never leaves my side so bringing him out for a few minutes has never been a problem. Well the one time I did this recently with RiRi, you know how it ended up. Like your cat, she went into survival mode and ran off. I think it's just in some cats DNA that being in an unfamiliar outdoor environment triggers something in them. We spent several hours trying to get her back. I myself got too impatient and was not thinking enough about making sure not to startle her. I finally spotted her after looking through our big hedge that lines our yard. I walked around to the other side to pick her up and instead of immediately bringing her inside, while holding her I tried to walk back to the opposite side of the hedge to pick up my phone. Once I bent down to get my phone, she started squirming. I tried to keep my grip on her and she lashed out at me, hissing, scratching and laying a pretty deep bite on me. I have been trying to heal my wounds (figuratively and literally) for the past couple of days. It took me awhile after getting her back safe and sound to realize that she wasn't trying to 'hurt me hurt me' out of disliking me but that in that moment she saw me as a threat. Her surroundings where unfamiliar to her so I as well became unfamiliar to her. I did take it personally for awhile because it was hard not to think how could she do that to me?! Because while I was getting emotional and thinking about all of the love we shared, she could not because cats don't have that ability. They survive first and love us second but I can't hold that against her. It seems like you've done a really good job of remembering that. Day by day we are getting back to our normal and I hope you get that chance too :heartshape:
Thank you for that! I get so upset because I literally have no clue where she is. She hasn’t shown herself to me except at night when I have no help getting her! I’m scared to death that if I try to go after her on my own she will run into the bushes again and not stay on the property. That’s why I’m trying so hard to catch her in some sort of trap. I just read an article about hard to trap cats and from what I have read, I’m doing everything right to catch her. Eventually her hunger will over take her instincts and she will go into a trap. (I hope) what’s getting to me the hardest is the length of time she’s been outside! She has gotten out once before but she didn’t have to go into survival mode .

Remi&RiRi

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thank you for that! I get so upset because I literally have no clue where she is. She hasn’t shown herself to me except at night when I have no help getting her! I’m scared to death that if I try to go after her on my own she will run into the bushes again and not stay on the property. That’s why I’m trying so hard to catch her in some sort of trap. I just read an article about hard to trap cats and from what I have read, I’m doing everything right to catch her. Eventually her hunger will over take her instincts and she will go into a trap. (I hope) what’s getting to me the hardest is the length of time she’s been outside! She has gotten out once before but she didn’t have to go into survival mode .
I agree! My experience showed that what I did scared her off. If you could get close enough to her you would have to move super slowly to try to get her but thats probably not going to work or else you would likely have her back by now. Once she does get hungry enough I think your right in that she will go for any food she can get. Its just a waiting game in regards to when that will happen. You just want her back but at least you can hold onto the fact that she has been out there this long and she obviously knows how to keep herself safe and is staying in the area, at least for the most part. It seems like the kind of situation that you may trap her when you least expect it but who knows! I'm sure its hard not to not always worry about her but try not to let it overtake your thoughts too much. I believe that you will get her! I will be checking to see any updates. Sending more positive vibes your way 🥰

Bubblesmom2014

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
@ rylee1494 thank you so much! I try not to let it consume me, I’m just freaking out that with the heat and storms she’s going to get sick or something. I know she’s using her natural instincts to stay alive but I just can’t help but worry because of how tiny she was when my husband found her, and she was chasing my meanest chicken.😅 luckily my husband found her. She was covered in fleas, had a nasty cut on her lower lip and it was infected. I cleaned her up , took her to the vet and she has been by my side ever since even though I gave her 5 baths in an hour trying to kill her fleas. So now that my kids are grown and on their own, the dog and cats are my babies now.

Last edited:

Bubblesmom2014

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Still no luck catching my bubbles kitty. This is so heartbreaking for me. It’s going on 7 weeks now. I’m at my wits end here! We are doing everything we can think of. The only thing we haven’t done yet is just sit outside near wherever she has been. But even that is hard to do because we don’t know from night to night where she will go. If anyone has a new idea please share it with me!