Cat loose

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Bubblesmom2014

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I know how it feels. It took me two months to get my girl. She was happy to come back in so follow your instincts. You know her better than anyone else. They may have a few adventures but they still know what the comforts of home offer. No matter what, don’t give up. You’ll get her just when you least expect it. I did! Somewhere around 2 in the morning after talking to her from about 11 that previous morning. I spent time, off and on, all that day and night keeping her company and she finally just came and looked cautiously in the door ( did that twice) ventured in and stayed the second time. Time and patience. Everything will go at her pace with your encouragement and persistence.
Oh Lordy! Two months? 😫💔I’m going out of my mind now , it’s been 19 days! I walk around my yard and the neighbors property calling out for her. She doesn’t make a sound!
I have caught three stray cats 7 raccoons and an opossum! No wonder she won’t come out except when she knows I’m about to loose my mind completely! Then she will show up on camera somewhere. Hopefully she won’t be outside that long!

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I know that I had to wait but that doesn’t mean you will. You are having sightings and I only spotted my girl twice until that last day. We border a swamp and there are a great many things to explore. I set up some temporary shelters using tarps to provide a line of feeding stations that would give her cover closer to the house. She did follow the line to get closer. I had walked the outer perimeter of where I thought she would be and cross crossed to be sure she saw and could follow me back while I was out. I did that regularly. I did a lot of things. Lol Have you tried using catnip close to home or inside a trap? I also had neighbor cats visit and caught other creatures. Mr. Possum still wants to move in with us. I used dried catnip and fresh. I also put out her favorite foods and kept an item of clothing that carried my scent out for her. I don’t know if one specific thing brought her back or just a combination and time. Just be creative and try everything. Kentucky Fried Chicken isn’t something you would want as a regular good for her but many people use that as a lure. I used Gerber 2nd foods all meat baby food that was warmed slightly. I also sat outside where she could see and hear me. Shaking a cat food bag or treat container, popping the lid of canned food where she can hear it are all tricks that are often successful. Calling to her very late at night when all the world is quiet may bring her out too. When the other creatures have left. That’s when Thrasher finally got brave enough to cross open territory. Hang in there. :alright:

Bubblesmom2014

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I know that I had to wait but that doesn’t mean you will. You are having sightings and I only spotted my girl twice until that last day. We border a swamp and there are a great many things to explore. I set up some temporary shelters using tarps to provide a line of feeding stations that would give her cover closer to the house. She did follow the line to get closer. I had walked the outer perimeter of where I thought she would be and cross crossed to be sure she saw and could follow me back while I was out. I did that regularly. I did a lot of things. Lol Have you tried using catnip close to home or inside a trap? I also had neighbor cats visit and caught other creatures. Mr. Possum still wants to move in with us. I used dried catnip and fresh. I also put out her favorite foods and kept an item of clothing that carried my scent out for her. I don’t know if one specific thing brought her back or just a combination and time. Just be creative and try everything. Kentucky Fried Chicken isn’t something you would want as a regular good for her but many people use that as a lure. I used Gerber 2nd foods all meat baby food that was warmed slightly. I also sat outside where she could see and hear me. Shaking a cat food bag or treat container, popping the lid of canned food where she can hear it are all tricks that are often successful. Calling to her very late at night when all the world is quiet may bring her out too. When the other creatures have left. That’s when Thrasher finally got brave enough to cross open territory. Hang in there. :alright:
We have caught other animals and started eliminating her competition for her food. I believe that with all the other animals around here is keeping her in hiding. Now she might start to feel safe enough to come out a little more and we will be able to finally catch her in one of the traps.

Bubblesmom2014

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
That sounds good! It takes a process. You are getting things done though! Come on kitty!!!!
Thanks I feel better today than I have in weeks. Just have one raccoon left to catch and it’s a BIG one! Hopefully tonight we will catch it. And with in a few days she will be home again

Bubblesmom2014

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Jcatbird Jcatbird Do you think the tuna and cat food mix is a good idea ? Would that possibly be strong enough to lure her into a trap?

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Definitely try it! The raccoon may like it too so feed the cat early or give the raccoon a separate feeding spot. The tuna may be the ticket! I also used canned chicken on water. No spices or added things like onions or garlic. Dollar stores carry it. Plain white breast meat. My cats like lapping the water from tuna and chicken almost more than the meat! Lol I put out a variety of dishes to try and tempt. That may have been one of the foods that worked with Thrasher. Be creative and try everything you think of that kitties like.

Bubblesmom2014

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Definitely try it! The raccoon may like it too so feed the cat early or give the raccoon a separate feeding spot. The tuna may be the ticket! I also used canned chicken on water. No spices or added things like onions or garlic. Dollar stores carry it. Plain white breast meat. My cats like lapping the water from tuna and chicken almost more than the meat! Lol I put out a variety of dishes to try and tempt. That may have been one of the foods that worked with Thrasher. Be creative and try everything you think of that kitties like.
This is the first time I have tried the cat food/ tuna mix. I have a separate trap baited for the raccoon with chicken, corn on the cob and tuna and it's close to the woods, and as far as I can tell Bubbles hasn't gone near the woodline.... I will laugh if we catch her in that one. I was on the verge of loosing my mind Saturday night when she finally showed herself coming towards my house. I rushed outside and scared her off. :( Now I'm just waiting to see if she shows up again and will have to be patient and see what she does.

Bubblesmom2014

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Jcatbird Jcatbird :The raccoon may like it too
You were right the raccoon went for the cat food and tuna in the bigger trap my husband made. It's the big coon we have been trying to catch. Now hopefully we can catch Bubbles in one of the traps now. We have reduced the competition for her food drastically.

Bubblesmom2014

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Hey everyone I just seen my cat in my backyard! She’s still outside but at least she’s okay. I just wish I could go out there and get her! I’m really hoping she will go into one of my traps for some food!

Bubblesmom2014

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I have always found that baiting a trap with something very appealing like Kentucky Fried Chicken is a huge incentive. Don't worry about the fact that the bait is not good for the cat but do whatever it takes. You aren't going to feed this food all the time once you recapture your baby.
How often do you have to use the kfc as bait for them? My cat has walked past every single one of the traps we set up for her. We have used tuna, sardines, kfc, and cat food. We have caught 11 raccoons, an opossum, three stray cats, one stray cat 3 separate times, but NOT bubbles! I have even put up 7 security cameras and 7 game cameras to see where she’s going. No luck yet!

Bubblesmom2014

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Update on my kitty bubbles ! It’s been 28 days now! I have called her by name, shook her treat box, put out clothes with my scent, put out her favorite food. So far nothing in the trap. How ever, yesterday evening between 9 and 9:30 I seen her along the edge of the wood line! I took her treats out, shook them and called her name. She seen me coming and moved further away from me and my husband. So we moved a trap down to the wood line where we seen her. She’s pretty hungry and I’m hoping she went into the trap!

sarah430

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Don't give up hope! My Navi (highly sensitive, strong fear instinct) was outside for 26 days until we got her back in. I saw her on the camera a few times but never saw her directly until a day or two before we got her back. She wouldn't go into the trap, so I just started putting out food for her in the way back of our yard in the early AM and the late evening. I figured if I couldn't get her back, at least I'd feed her and she'd be an outside cat. She started to regularly go for the meals and then one evening when I went to get the empty bowl I could hear her yowling in the bushes. I went and got some treats and got real low to the ground and spoke to her softly. She eventually came for the treats (inside I hand feed her treats) and on the third pass I was able to grab her.

I think she just eventually recognized me. I think the key is to not give up hope, and when you do call for her, do it in a normal voice like you'd be talking with her inside and stay low to the ground. Good luck! I will try to remember my own advice as we are dealing with this again ourselves (my husband accidentally left the door ajar...grrr...) and are on day 4.

Bubblesmom2014

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Don't give up hope! My Navi (highly sensitive, strong fear instinct) was outside for 26 days until we got her back in. I saw her on the camera a few times but never saw her directly until a day or two before we got her back. She wouldn't go into the trap, so I just started putting out food for her in the way back of our yard in the early AM and the late evening. I figured if I couldn't get her back, at least I'd feed her and she'd be an outside cat. She started to regularly go for the meals and then one evening when I went to get the empty bowl I could hear her yowling in the bushes. I went and got some treats and got real low to the ground and spoke to her softly. She eventually came for the treats (inside I hand feed her treats) and on the third pass I was able to grab her.

I think she just eventually recognized me. I think the key is to not give up hope, and when you do call for her, do it in a normal voice like you'd be talking with her inside and stay low to the ground. Good luck! I will try to remember my own advice as we are dealing with this again ourselves (my husband accidentally left the door ajar...grrr...) and are on day 4.
I’m so sorry you are having to deal with this again! My grandson left my door open and I didn’t know he did. Today makes day 28 since she got out. I seen her along the wood line last night and watched her on our security cameras for four hours! Eventually I had to get some sleep. It was about two am before I went to sleep. Was it daylight or evening when you were able to get your cat? Mine is staying pretty much nocturnal. It was right at dusk when I seen her last night. And she stayed just out of range of the cameras

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
I am sorry that this is still going on and it has to be so hard for you. At least you know that she is okay....which is some consolation. Do you think that she is getting food someplace else? Hungry cats will go into a trap for almost anything and you have been trying some very good bait.

sarah430

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I’m so sorry you are having to deal with this again! My grandson left my door open and I didn’t know he did. Today makes day 28 since she got out. I seen her along the wood line last night and watched her on our security cameras for four hours! Eventually I had to get some sleep. It was about two am before I went to sleep. Was it daylight or evening when you were able to get your cat? Mine is staying pretty much nocturnal. It was right at dusk when I seen her last night. And she stayed just out of range of the cameras
She finally came to me right around dusk. I never saw her out and about in the daylight. Just early morning around sun-up and at dusk.

Bubblesmom2014

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
We haven't seen bubbles in the day time/ day light, but we do see her around dusk. If we dont catch her tonight, we have another plan for tomorrow night.

Bubblesmom2014

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I am sorry that this is still going on and it has to be so hard for you. At least you know that she is okay....which is some consolation. Do you think that she is getting food someplace else? Hungry cats will go into a trap for almost anything and you have been trying some very good bait.
I have used Cat food, salmon, tuna, catnip, sardines and anything else I can think of that she might like. Yes it is a little consolidation that I have seen her around. Bubbles is a VERY good mouser and we found a mole we believe she was trying to eat last night but was scared away from it. Hopefully she is hungry enough to go after the food in a trap tonight. As for someone else feeding her, we only have one neighbor close enough to feed her but he doesn't feed his own cat he claims to have. So I dont think it's that. I believe shes hunting her food.

Bubblesmom2014

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
No luck last night getting bubbles in a trap. Looks like we are going to have to catch her our selves with a drop trap. I just hope and pray our timing is spot on to get her back in the house tomorrow night

Bubblesmom2014

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
1AD6CB45-4C16-4EA2-A471-E7E3D3F0B1CB.jpeg
1AD6CB45-4C16-4EA2-A471-E7E3D3F0B1CB.jpeg We are out of options so we have resorted to a-drop trap. It’s bigger than needed but just incase lol