Cat loose

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Bubblesmom2014

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
She’s sitting on a dirt mound as I type this. She’s staying just inside a wooded area behind my house. I have called her and called her with treats and everything I can think of. She won’t come to me. This is the latest trap we built to catch her with.

Attachments

StanAndAlf

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
A flea wash is a good idea, though if it stresses her put too much a lot of topical treatments will help kill the fleas as well. A rescue cat of mine refused to let me bathe him so I watered down some gentle flea wash and light sprayed him with it for a couple of days. Did the job, but can cause skin irritation and be careful what you use as some should not be ingested by the cat.

Worming is a good idea too as she likely picked up some parasites from the little critters she ate.

In fact, a general health check from a vet wouldn't go astray.

Other than that, lots of cuddles and yummy food!

Bubblesmom2014

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
She’s going to the vet ASAP once I get her back in the house! I’m worried about infestation of the house. I have a topical treatment for her from the vet already. I figure that’s probably going to be my best bet. She’s been outside now for 36 days

Mr. White Wisker

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I would skip the bath if possible and do the treatment. Sounds like your kitty has already been through a lot.

Bubblesmom2014

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
We all have been. I just don’t know how to catch her now. I have tried everything imaginable and have more ideas. I’m really getting frustrated.

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If you know she's there, like when she was sitting on the dirt hill, perhaps, you could lie on the ground where she can see you and wait for her to come to you. Don't reach for her let her come and sniff you offer a pet, This would take a lot of patience. Lie in the shade and use your sun screen.

I have no idea if it would work, but it's what you do when you bring a new on in the house, to let them get used to you. I would think this would let her remember you. Since she's stayed in the yard, she clearly remembers some.

Bubblesmom2014

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
She remembers m, but for some reason she’s still in the fight or flight mode. Whenever I call her she’s still staying quiet. She doesn’t want to give away her hiding place for fear of becoming prey to another animal. You would think being out of her normal comfort zone for 36 days she would give up and come to me

Bubblesmom2014

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
We have found a place she likes to lay and hunt for food. This afternoon we went and bought a camera and set it up along with a live trap. Hopefully we can catch her soon.

sarah430

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Good luck! Sending continued positive kitty catching vibes. I understand 100% the inexplicable change in personality. She is working on pure instinct now. Someone here explained that for these type of cats (yours and mine) they don't recognize you in the outside environment. It's hard but you can't take it personally. Hang in there - I think you will eventually catch her or she may just give in a little.

Bubblesmom2014

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
@ sarah430 I sure hope she eventually just gives in a little bit. This is very painful and tiring for me and my poor husband. We have spent every waking moment trying to catch her. Last night I was up until 4:30 am watching her on a dirty mound behind our barn. I swear if I knew where she was hiding I’d go after her.

Bubblesmom2014

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Does anyone have advice about how to reaclimate my two cats when I get my cat bubbles back in the house? What should I avoid? What can I do to make the transition easier for both of the cats?

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
My ferals do not recognize me "out of context" sometimes. They know it is me in the back yard area with the food but will run and hide if I pass them on the street a few doors down. Good point to remember in all of this.

Can you do a reintroduction or treat this as if you have brought a new cat into the house? Start from the beginning in case her scent is too different or her behavior has changed indoors?

How To Successfully Introduce Cats: The Ultimate Guide – TheCatSite Articles

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Cats are fairly near sighted, they don't see clearly at much beyond 20 feet, they see motion for hunting, they do not see faces the way people and dogs do. That means they have to get within sniffing distance to recognize their people.

Bubblesmom2014

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
It’s been 39 days since she got out. What I would like to know is if anyone has some advice for me to help catch her. I have 7 game cameras and 11 security cameras set up and 10 live traps. But my biggest problem is that it doesn’t matter what I use for bait she won’t go into the traps. I have even covered them with branches of trees we have cut down. I’m at my wits end right now

Last edited by a moderator:

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
The wonderful thing is that you are seeing her regularly. Have you by any chance tried Kentucky Fried Chicken? I've known cats who would do anything short of walking through fire for that stuff! Does she have a favorite human? A worn tee shirt from that person may make her feel more secure about going into the trap.

Bubblesmom2014

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
The wonderful thing is that you are seeing her regularly. Have you by any chance tried Kentucky Fried Chicken? I've known cats who would do anything short of walking through fire for that stuff! Does she have a favorite human? A worn tee shirt from that person may make her feel more secure about going into the trap.
I have tried everything! I am her human and have put shirts blankets and what ever I can think of in the traps. I have tried Kentucky fried chicken. She just passes the traps up! But that was when I had a lot more wildlife running around on the property.

It seems like she is moving farther away from the house instead of closer to me. :bawling::( It’s like she notices the littlest thing out of place and moves
My only problem is that she’s not coming out until late at night. Usually well after dark or in the middle of the night. This is why I need to try and trap her in a live trap.

Last edited by a moderator:

mani

Moderator and fervent feline fan
Staff Member
Purraise
I've moved this thread from SOS to here as the people in Strays and Ferals know the most about trapping cats.

She’s sitting on a dirt mound as I type this. She’s staying just inside a wooded area behind my house. I have called her and called her with treats and everything I can think of. She won’t come to me. This is the latest trap we built to catch her with.
I'm not sure this is the most efficient trap. Hopefully others will be able to help.

Bubblesmom2014

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I've moved this thread from SOS to here as the people in Strays and Ferals know the most about trapping cats.

I'm not sure this is the most efficient trap. Hopefully others will be able to help.
Thank you so much! Anything that helps is appreciated! I am running out of ideas.

Joelle and the kittens

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Are there things she'd investigate that aren't food/smells? Like a kitten mewling or cat crying or other sounds? What about a remote-control mouse or something that you could operate from a distance to lure her under the drop trap? Or maybe like a literal bale of catnip... And I don't know how well cat repellant works but maybe you could mark the boundaries of where you want her to travel (when she's within them of course) so she doesn't stray farther?

Bubblesmom2014

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I’m going to place some catnip around the areas I have seen her at. At the moment we are just monitoring her movements on our cameras. Hopefully we will catch her very soon. Since this is her very first venture outside it could possibly take a little longer than normal to actually catch her.
Im willing to spray my entire yard to keep her within the boundaries of my property! I was hoping it wouldn’t take this long to catch her. Some one on another site suggested that she has gone through a sensory overload? I suppose that’s possible. How would I help her get her sense of direction back if that’s what happened to her.?