cat delivered 2 kittens so far but not sure if there is more

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

desert82

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Also other than what I described he is playing and seems to be acting normal except sleeping a good bit today but so was his brother.

kashmir64

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If it was either Coccidia (Albon) or Giardia (Panacur) that he had, he can easily reinfect. Did you follow the sterilization you needed for these? Did mom get the meds also?

My head is killing me and I don't want to go back 9 pages. Was he the only one with diarrhea?

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
desert82 desert82

Let me know how they are doing tomorow, and we will re-assess.

It could be a food allergy, or he could need another round of meds. Or he could just have had a hairball. Let's wait and see.

desert82

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
If it was either Coccidia (Albon) or Giardia (Panacur) that he had, he can easily reinfect. Did you follow the sterilization you needed for these? Did mom get the meds also?

My head is killing me and I don't want to go back 9 pages. Was he the only one with diarrhea?
No I never sterilized anything just kept the liter box cleaned out immediately and did keep them separate bowls while they were sick.They both had worms that they had gotten from.Momma. and Both had the diarrhea and vomiting. Onyx just had it a lot worse that Milo. Milo never lost but 30 grams and onyx lost over 400 grams in 5 days. He has now gained it all back and then some. We have 3 other cats, mom and 2 older cats that never got sick. Just the babies. The panacur didn't do much and when we started the albon it was 2 days and they both were feeling themselves again. Even now none of the others are sick and they all share the same litter box ( we tried to have one for the babies but they always would go in the big box starting at about 7 weeks) and food and water bowls. Again it's hard to separate the stuff because they want to eat out of the same bowl. They even like the adult cat food way better than there's.

desert82

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
desert82 desert82

Let me know how they are doing tomorow, and we will re-assess.

It could be a food allergy, or he could need another round of meds. Or he could just have had a hairball. Let's wait and see.
Ok will do. He's playing and spazing out with Milo right now and seems to be full of piss and vinegar (right before bed) lol I will update tomorrow

desert82

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Well he seems to be doing ok. His poop kinda goes back and.fourth. it was solid yesterday afternoon then kinda runny in evening. No more throwing up seems to be eating pretty good however last night he weighed 1530 grams and today he weighs 1470 so not much but lost a little.he has been kinda going back and fourth on the weight a little. Is that normal? I mean should it fluctuate a little day to day? Like maybe I weighed him after he pooped or something? I know 50 grams isn't much at all. He's been.playing and running around like crazy too. Milo is over 1700 grams now. His fluctuate a little but not much.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
He should not be losing, especially not 60 grams. Can you get him back to the vet?

desert82

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I won't be able to get him down there for a few days at least. Til payday. I mean since I weighed him around midnight last night and then tonight at like 7 after he poops he would weigh less wouldn't he? It's gross but when he was losing all that weight before I scooped up the small amount of poo and weighed it and it was like 40 grams if not more. So say when I weighed him last night he hadn't gone yet then tonight he had just gone. That couldn't fluctuate the 50 or so grams? I still do have more of the meds the vet gave me as well. The panacur and albon. I also just hate to take him there for them to just give me more of the same meds I already have and spend another 100 bucks on an vet visit.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Let's see if he starts to gain the weight back, and how his poops are in the next day or so. Hopefully, he'll start gaining again and the poops will be normal. If not, he may need more meds.

desert82

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Ok sounds good. He's been acting normal and has been so playful. One thing I just thought about was could the baby food maybe give diarrhea? Or possibly adult cat food? He just loves the Rachel Ray food we feed all the other cats. It's so odd but Momma loves the nutro kitten food we get them and they like the adult food. How long do I need to feed kitten specific food? Can they eat just the regular cat food everyone eats?

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
They can. Doesn't Rachel Ray make kitten dry food?

Kittens are fed kitten food because it contains more nutrients that kittens need than adult food does.

desert82

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I wish. I've looked and couldn't find any of her actual kitten food. I guess I could try online but I've been to 5 or more stores that carry all her products and have never seen kitten food. Oh ok so it would probably be best to keep them away from the adult cat food and keep feeding them the kitten food.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
It's up to you. You can also feed another brand of kitten chow.

desert82

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Ok thank you I may need to look for some other kind. I will only feed grain free and by product free so it's kinda limited on.what foods are.available unfortunately unless I got unto the raw diet but I don't want to do.that either so I guess it's just trial and error finding a food They like

desert82

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Ok so another question lol sorry. Probably getting tired of me by now 9 pages later lol. Anyway I keep seeing that leaving dry food available all the time and 2 to 3 cans of wet per day per kitty. Well I leave dry down all the time. Momma eats there's and it makes me so mad because then they don't have any but I keep it down as much as possible. Also they DO NOT like wet food. Won't touch the stuff and that's ok with me I've tried about 6 different ones and Its just a waste of money. Only one that will eat it is Momma and that's it. So I see them nurse from time to time but I can tell Momma is about sick of it and pushes them away A LOT. I don't blame her they are almost 12 weeks lol. So I have been kinda mixing some of that baby food for them with some dry food 3 times a day. Not a lot either just 1 bottle a day between the both of them. They are gaining about 30 to 40 grams a day well that's at least what they gained from yesterday to.today. is it bad that I give them that baby food? I.mean it's only turkey. And also that they won't touch wet food? I guess as long as they are gaining then it should be fine? Again thank you and sorry for all the stupid questions :)

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
There is no such thing as a stupid question!

It's fine that they eat turkey baby food. It gives them moisture and tons of protein. I'll bet they love it. They get their taurine from the dry food.

My mama kitty would not eat wet food either, but loved the kitten chow and baby food. I fed everybody the same food that first year to make it easier.

Things sound okay! :)

desert82

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thank you so much! They do love it so much. When I go to the kitchen and they hear the top pop open on that stuff they come running and sliding across the hardwood floor and if I'm not careful I'll have 2 kittens climbing half way up me. That makes me feel better. It gets really hard feeding different foods all the time. Again thank you very much.

desert82

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
That's so cute. I'm glad you mention the baby food when they were sick because that's literally all they would touch. You have been such a huge help. Another thing, is there usually an age that you stop weighing them or don't have to anymore?

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Yes, once they are eating on their own you can stop weighing. It's usually easy to see that they are growing and thriving at this point.