cat delivered 2 kittens so far but not sure if there is more

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
It's great they are all together! My four nursed for 6 months on their mama. I even caught a couple of them long after that. Mom will let them know when she's had enough! :)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

desert82

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Awe I think it's just so cute. Oh she Lets them know most the time lol. They will sneak up on her and she will be on her side and as soon as she realizes what they are trying she gets on her stomach real fast so they can't get none or she takes her back feet and pushes them off. When they were losing a bit of weight she let them eat daily and I'm.glad she did because they wouldn't eat anything else. They are just so smart and I have learned so much. The funniest thing Milo does is he think he needs to flush every little smell lol. When he uses the box he covers it if another cat throws up a hair ball or something he will go.sniff it then start to paw around it on the hard wood floor. I just love having them and being able to keep them. Thank you for all your help and advice it's been a life saver.

desert82

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I'm back lol. Ok so I have a question. Not sure if I should have started a new thread or not but I will go ahead and ask here. So the kittens, well BIG cats now and mama have tapeworm. I have been reading about fish tapes being basically the exact same thing as the Bayer brand except 1/6 the price. I can get 12 capsule for about 23 dollars compared to 15 for 3 tabs of the Bayer. Is it an exact science? I mean will a couple extra mg hurt them? Has anyone ever used fish tapes on cats and.dogs? I read that a lot of breeders and rescues use it as it's more cost effective. If I took out about 1/3 the powder from the capsule that would equil about 23mg. Any thoughts on this would.be very helpful.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
It's very mild and will do no harm. Are you planning to mix it into their wet food? They do make tablets also that come in smaller amounts of mg's, but you'd have to pill them.

And they need a follow-up dose 10-14 days later, so getting more for your money is good.

You do know you need to treat for fleas too, right, since tapeworms come from ingesting fleas?

desert82

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Ok great. The fish tape I found only comes in the 34mg capsule that I have seen. I did find the 22mg made for cats in.pill form but it's a lot more expensive so I just assume get the one that's labeled for fish since it is way cheaper and.I will have extra left for 5 cats and .dog a couple weeks down the road. We have tried liquid and things other than pill and they just won't have it. Even mixing it in with tuna or any other food they catch on the first time and then end up not getting all the meds. I bought a pill gun and empty capsules months back when I had to give them liquid and just made my own pills and popped it down their throats and that worked like a charm. Its weird they make virtuality the same medicine for fish that is a sixth the price and actually I think the 34 mg is the same as ones for dogs. But since we have so many cats saving some.money would.be great where I can. Have you heard of anyone on here using ones that are labeled for a different animal? I'm assuming the only difference is maybe the inactive ingredients and the fact that it comes in capsule so it can be added to.the fish bowl. Yes we are treating for fleas as well. They all had tape about 5 months ago and we treated then re treated 2 weeks later and all was good until the last week I noticed them itching then found "rice" on the couch lol. Now it's All over again. We did everything except give them a preventive but I didn't think I needed to since they are all indoor but the dog probably bought them in I'm.assuming. I have just always been scared to give the frontline or any of them kinds of meds because of the side effects I have read about. It has made.me a little uneasy giving them any. I got the natural flea shampoo that seems to work really well at getting rid if them. sorry for such a long post.

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
How are they doing otherwise? We'd love photos!
Are the babies spayed and neutered now?

desert82

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
20171113_171353.jpg
20171104_181349.jpg
20171109_115145.jpg
IMG_20171113_171756.jpg
20171022_195140.jpg
20171018_193501.jpg
20171018_193401.jpg
They are all doing great. Mama has had a hard tummy for a couple month or so. I took her to the vet back when I first noticed it and they dis blood work and said everything looked good and to change her.diet so we did that and it's still that way but now that I am putting all the pieces together I'm betting it's the worms since she has them too. So we are going to de worm them and all should be good. No they aren't neutered yet. Soon they will be. Mama is spayed though and the other adult male and female cats are fixed. When we had bubba neutered he wasn't spunky and hyper and didn't really want to play much anymore and hasn't since. They are so active and are being their hyper selves and I just don't want to do it yet. I know some people have accidents with a cat getting out but that would never happen here. For one they have absolutely no interest in outside at all and are scared of it and for two We have no kids that would accidentally let them out. Probably around a year or so we will maybe get them fixed. Yes here are some pictures. They are huge for their age and whoever daddy is he must be a big Tom cat. They weigh almost 8 lbs now. 2 lbs less than mom.

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ah. I would still recommend neutering before a year, because they will begin to be territorial with one another. In addition, behaviors like spraying may not go away after they are neutered if they develop.

They do have truly magnificent tails!

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
The fish tapes are exactly the same as what Bayer makes, and you can give the entire 34 mgs. They need that amount. If a cat is over 10 pounds they need 2 capsules.

Advantage II works great without side effects for flea prevention. I buy the Extra Large Dog size of 4 packs, then use a 1 or 2 mL syringe to draw out .8 mL for each cat's neck. That way one tube treats 5 adult cats.

Get the Advantage II on eBay. It's the exact same stuff as for cats, and much cheaper to use this way.

I also use Enforcer house flea spray, which kills eggs and larvae, as well as live fleas. Just spray it on carpets and bedding and you'll see a big difference when used in conjunction with Advantage II. Also wash bedding in hot water on a regular basis.

desert82

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
They haven't shown any signs of spraying is that something that comes later? Or possibly not at all? Yea it will get done I just hate to do that to them because I seen what it did to our other cat. He got fat and doesn't want to play much anymore and it's been that way for almost 8 years since he was neutered :( lol yes I have to keep them looking pretty by brushing them and their huge tails daily. The other cats look like that have no tail compared to them lol. They literally drag on the floor when they walk.

Sarthur2, Thank you very much. I will buy that enforcer and advantage and give that a try. That's awesome on the fish tapes. So much cheaper. Hopefully they will be flea/worm free very soon

kashmir64

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
They haven't shown any signs of spraying is that something that comes later? Or possibly not at all? Yea it will get done I just hate to do that to them because I seen what it did to our other cat. He got fat and doesn't want to play much anymore and it's been that way for almost 8 years since he was neutered :( lol yes I have to keep them looking pretty by brushing them and their huge tails daily. The other cats look like that have no tail compared to them lol. They literally drag on the floor when they walk.

Sarthur2, Thank you very much. I will buy that enforcer and advantage and give that a try. That's awesome on the fish tapes. So much cheaper. Hopefully they will be flea/worm free very soon
I wish it would have calmed down Samai. Maybe I would get some sleep.

Honestly though, it could have just been the temperament of your cat and he would've been quiet regardless.

desert82

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
That's true. I hear you. They are so hyper and they always sleep during the day and about 11 pm is when they want.to start playing. They chase each other down the hall and I can't even count haw many times I've had a cat pounce on me in the middle of sleep lol. Not a very pleasant thing to.be woken up by. Not so bad when you are awake but just falling asleep it may as well be a horse landing on you haha. Oh well kittens will be kittens
I wish it would have calmed down Samai. Maybe I would get some sleep.

Honestly though, it could have just been the temperament of your cat and he would've been quiet regardless.