cat delivered 2 kittens so far but not sure if there is more

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I'm not knowledgeable about natural stuff. See if it works. Certain natural oils are not safe for cats, so she needs to look it up before using.

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

desert82

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I found a Bayer broad spectrum dewormer for dogs but I'm having a hard time finding any for cats. Do they not make a quad dewormer for cats? I'm starting to get so frustrated with these stupid worms and all the different kinds of worms and different meds. I don't know 100% it's a tape worm so I want to just use a broad range one. Does that exist? Sorry for all the questions

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
You would need Drontal Plus for broad spectrum. This is a tablet you buy from the vet.

desert82

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Screenshot_2017-07-06-17-53-43.png
Screenshot_2017-07-06-17-53-50.png
Screenshot_2017-07-06-17-54-10.png
I was about to order these. Is this what you are talking about?

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Yes, I believe you need a prescription for those. It should indicate with an RX or specify that a prescription is needed when you try to check out. If your vet gives you a prescription you can buy them online.

desert82

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Ok awesome. I guess you use to have to get an rx but now they are just over the counter. My vet wanted t see every one of my cats and dog before he would do anything and that's ridiculous since I know what they all have already so this will save some money. I think it's tape but want to cover all my basis

desert82

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Does anyone know how long albon lasts and is good for? I took onyx to the vet 5/19 and they gave me albon and panacur for both the kittens. Well diarrhea is back the last few days so I took him in again Friday, they gave him a drontal there and sent me home with one for Milo. Also sent me home enough amoxicillin +flagyl to treat both the next 10 days. Well that's not going good. I've only been able to get half a dose in each one of them once and I think it's stressing them out more than its worth. They both start to foam at the mouth and slit it out and it is so bad that yesterday I went to give some baby food to Milo and he gagged just smelling it because of the forcing the medicine in him. Anyway this stuff they gave me isn't doing anything anyway but I do have some albon left over from 2 months ago. I really think this is Coccidia only because the albon worked in like 2 days last time but this time this stuff they gave me isn't doing anything at all. They want to see him again today but they just saw him and I don't have the 130 bucks today. Sorry for such a long post.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Does the Albon still look and smell fresh?

$130 seems like a lot for an office visit.

You should be able to call your vet, explain that the new meds are not going well, and pick up a fresh prescription of Albon. After all, you are an established client.

desert82

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I mean it does look and smell like it did when I got it. I thought it was a bit much but it was 55 for the visit, 36 for the cerenia injection, 16.50 for the drontal tab. Plus they gave me another free of charge for Milo, then 25 for the amoxicillin. So I guess it isn't too bad. I just got off the phone with her and she said she doesn't think they need albon I guess. (Even though that's what cleared this up last time in days) and told me to keep giving the amoxicillin and to bring them both in and she will at least give them 1 of the 2 doses they need every day. The date on the albon says it expires 2 weeks after I got it so idk. I would just hate to give them something that could be toxic after it expires

desert82

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I just know Coccidia is contagious and will come back and I figured she would know that too.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Now that you detail the charges it does not seem too bad.

You could probably go ahead and use the albon. The amoxicillin will not kill parasites, but the metronidazole will. And that is what tastes bitter too!

desert82

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Oh ok so I guess it would be beneficial to give that med. Omg they hate it so much, I've never had such a hard time giving medicine to.any animal, it's crazy how much they fight it. Like as soon as I get it ready and put the syringe in my mouth they both take off running then when I get them and wrap them in a towel (I'm already bitten and scratched up) I can't keep there head still and can't keep o them from biting down. Like as soon.as I out it to there mouth before I even.push the med thru they just start to freak out and drool all over and foam at the mouth and scream so loud. Its absolutely terrifying for me and them too lol. 10 days of this. At least they said they will do one dose a day for.me. hopefully free of charge but who knows.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Metronidazole is nasty. It's very strong. Ask for more panacur and albon instead. I don't recommend metronidazole for kittens. It's easier to give in pill form to adult cats.

There's no need to go through all that suffering. :(

desert82

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Because of how hard it is to give to them or Its not as effective for kittens? and she told me "oh this will.be easy to give them, it's bubblegum flavored " ha yea right

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
It's very effective. Let the vet office show you how to give it.

kashmir64

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ask your vet (and let me know the answer) if you could maybe add a little tuna water to the syringe to soften the bitterness/flavor.

I don't know if this is acceptable, but it would be good information to have for future.

desert82

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Sorry it's taken.so long. I did ask and she told me that it wouldn't hurt but it's so foul that it wouldn't really do anything except make them not want anything else because they would associate it with that medicine. I actually went down and bought the empty gel pills and put the meds in them. I got the small ones. I think they are size 1 or 2. I know that .5 ml fits in each one so I had to give them both 2 pills but with the pill gun it was a lot easier than the liquid

desert82

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I'm just posting an update, both Onyx and Milo are gaining like crazy (I hate it) and growing like weeds they just turned 4 months old yesterday. I want them to stay babies forever lol. Here's a few pictures of them now and one from when they were born. Thanks everyone that's helped me.since.they were born.

P.s. yes mama still feeds them once in a great while (probably shouldn't) and it's the funniest thing because they are about as big as her. I'm glad they get to stay together and not have to leave mama.

Attachments

Kayla70711

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I have one more question. I have been noticing that she has been getting out of the box with the kittens. Like she will get out and go lay on the floor in the living room. Her litter box is next to her as well as her food and water but she seems to be out of the box a lot. They are asleep at the moment and not crying so I'm guessing maybe she needs a break away? When should I start to worry? They weigh 127 grams today (4.46 oz) yesterday I measure them in oz before I knew that grams was easier to see the progress and they weighed 4.1 oz yesterday. So I'm assuming they are both gaining like they should. It just worries me that she's been getting out of there with them. She seems like she's pretty protective of them because when I weighed them she almost immediately picked them up and took them back to the box.
That's normal. My cat will leave me with her babies, and go eat, or sleep elsewhere in the house. It gets over 100 degrees everyday here so she will go find a cool place to sleep, and will go feed them if they cry, or when she wakes up. She had her kittens in a different bedroom at first, but she kept moving them to my bed so they sleep on my bed with me in a box, and Mama comes, and goes.