Cat clawing baby- Help!

Draco

NOT Malfoy!
Veteran
Purraise
Not my cat or baby, I am writing on behalf of a friend- I'm trying to help her.

They have a great cat, who is about 5 years old.
They now have a beautiful baby boy who is 10 months old.

Two or three times the cat has clawed the baby, scratched his face. From my understanding, completely unprovoked by the baby. Latest the cat jumped on the couch where the baby was being held by dad and scratched the baby's face close to the eye. Unprovoked. It is uncertain if the baby was being loud or unintentionally scared the cat (and she's sure the cat would've run instead).

In the past the cat has scratched when the baby provoked him (they're working on teaching the baby to respect animals, but again, he's 10 months old too).

She's thinking its jealousy because the cat isn't getting as much attention as he used to.

I am sure you all are understanding of the predicament- the cat is family and they love him. But there's also a baby that needs to be protected. Cat claw caps will not help. She's been trimming claws keeping them short. Separating is tough because they're in a small home and its unfair to the cat to be locked away.

They are considering declawing or rehoming and they don't want to do that, so she's at wits' end. What else can she try to keep the cat from clawing the baby?

Edit: they're calling around to see if any local groomers would put claw caps on, but still looking for other options.

Last edited:

ArtNJ

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If one can trim their cats nails they can put claw caps on. The first thing is much harder than the second. If a cat allows its nails to be trimmed, than the PITA of claw caps is that they tend to come off. And sometimes they stay on too long, so one needs to watch and deal with that as well. But mostly, its not such a big deal, IF one has a cat whose nails they are already trimming.

As far as the bigger picture issue, I've definitely seen other posts on here about this issue, including posts with an unprovoked aspect to it, or provoked only by noise. I dont know that any great solutions were proposed, but you could try some searches.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Draco

NOT Malfoy!
Veteran
Purraise
Thanks! She's looking into trying the nail caps. Looking for plan B options still

Some reason I tried searching using the search function and it's showing me everything not related to my issue, I don't know what I am doing wrong.

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
the vet will arrange for someone there to be the nail caps on. This works better than when you do it because there are people at the vet who are trained in how to hold annoyed cats without damaging the cat.

ArtNJ

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Some reason I tried searching using the search function and it's showing me everything not related to my issue, I don't know what I am doing wrong.
Too many posts using the word "baby" to refer to cat babies most likely. Its definitely come up before, but I dont know that any great solutions were offered so its not necessarily worth a ton of time scrolling through tons of old posts.

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

Draco

NOT Malfoy!
Veteran
Purraise
thank you for the links! Probably why I had a hard time finding the posts lol

danteshuman

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I recommend soft claws and tons of shelves that csn hold 50 pounds…., up high where baby can never reach. If they can, a cat super highway would be great. A baby free catio or room would probably be greatly appreciated by the cat.

A baby or small child should not be left alone with the cat! The baby/toddler can easily injure the cat by yanking on their tail!

Lieutenant2

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Cutting cat's nails would be a think, but sometimes cats when they see their nails cut, they may bite. Rehoming the cat would be irresponsible unless they are completely honest with the person who is interested in the cat. On the other hand, rehoming a cat with behavioral problems is an unethical thing to do. Is the cat aggressive to them too? Or only with the kid? Was the cat was bad with them before the kid was born ? I thing looking for a vet to prescribe some pills for the cat or putting the cat to sleep would be a solution. The cat attacked the kid unprovoked so I would put the child in the first place. But I guess they put the cat in a shelter and someone unlucky maybe will take the cat.

heatherwillard0614

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't recommend declawing the cat. It isn't just cutting the nail in a manner where it won't grow back.. it is literally amputating each of their little toes to the joint behind the nail.. it is the equivalent of amputating humans fingers to the first nuckle right behind out nails. Please please please have them do research on this first.
It completely changes the way a cat walks because cats naturally walk on their nails without them they become more flat footed in a sense it causes a lot of pain down the line
Also most cats start biting to compensate not being able to scratch..
All I'm asking is that you ask them to do research first
I recommend kitty caps.
More play time with kitty to wear him out
Separate kitty whenever he tries to scratch this has to happen every single time as soon as it happens put in a room for 1 to 2 minutes as a time out..

ArtNJ

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Declawing is not the solution, cutting the nails would be a thing.
Well, I'm pretty sure debating the issue 3 months after the OP had this problem isn't the solution either. In this particular case, the OP is a long time member, so lets continue the necromantic ritual and see if we can summon him for an update ... Draco Draco how did it go?

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Draco Draco Please send this resource to your friend and let them know that declawing will NOT solve the problem..the cat could (very likely)
just resort to biting, which is worse and greater risk for infection. New VCA Policy on Elective Declaw Procedures in Cats | VCA Animal Hospitals.

Babies should not be left alone with pets ever.
When teaching a baby or young child to pet an animal, they should be shown to pet with the BACK of the hand, not the front, to avoid the grasping reflex.

When they leave the room, the baby should be put in a playpen and not left on the floor with the cat. If it's not actively learning how to be around a pet time, baby and cat should just be away from one another (Adult arms length).

I'd recommend your friend take kitty to a vet visit. There's a lot of stress that comes with a new baby.... distressing sounds, routine changes, environment changes, extra visitors, etc. Introducing new baby to cat

Its certainly difficult to be a new parent! If they can, scheduling the cat's routine back in to baby's routine can really help to resettle the cat.

You've had a lot of advice on alternative claw solutions so that's excellent! If available to the couple, they might also try a behavioralist.

BigCoffinHunter

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I think I will have my older cat get nail caps. She has always been a moody cat, but after my dog died, she became moodier. She’s never liked my husband and claws him quite viciously sometimes. I wonder if it’s better to do it at a groomer or at the vet’s office.

heatherwillard0614

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think I will have my older cat get nail caps. She has always been a moody cat, but after my dog died, she became moodier. She’s never liked my husband and claws him quite viciously sometimes. I wonder if it’s better to do it at a groomer or at the vet’s office.
That is a good question for sure. Maybe you can call your vet and the groomer that you would use and see how often each place applies kitty caps? This might give you an idea of which place has more experience.
I wish I had a better response for you.

heatherwillard0614

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That’s a great response really! I’ll do that.
Awesome.
Another thought is if they are about the same in experience than you could try one place then when it is time to remove them and put new ones on try the next place and see if there is any noticeable difference. If there is a difference in how well it is done and if they like fall off or whatever go to the one that is better. Then if no difference is noticed go with the cheaper one.

Kwik

Animals are Blessings
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi Draco Draco
Just wondering whatever happened with your friends ,3months later that baby is probably crawling around and maybe even walking by now-so he/she will pose even more of a threat and unwanted guest in kitty's territory so I'm very curious about tye outcome so far

Kitty is not" jealous".... suddenly there's a strange alien in kitty's territory,it makes strange sounds,it's always on top of ",kitties" property( pet parents) and it's " mine,mine,mine"---- that's kitty's instinct-to protect its territory and get rid of any competition.....

We slowly introduce new pets to residents pets ,first familiarizing them with "scent " and not sight- that's a common mistake made by new parents bringing home baby to a resident feline... cats do not "see" and say" oh,hey- how ya doing"..... and of course tye scent of a baby is distinctly different from kids & adults- as even we humans can smell

The introductions are important and they can certainly " start over" but as A Alldara mentioned " pets & children " should always be at least at arms length and closely supervised-animals " react" instinctively and do not reason and although their body language clearly gives off signals of what they are likely going to do it often missed by an untrained eye- cats are extremely fast and agile,even a trained eye is often too slow to prevent injuries

I do hope all is well and your friends new family dynamic is working out for GOOD.....

Lieutenant2

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise

It is good to cut the nails but the cat may use the fangs to scratch. The cat may also start biting or squeeze legs and so on. But if the cat is not aggressive too you that could be still a good thing because at least you can control the cat.
Many people did not have an aggressive cat because most cats are not aggressive. The worst thing you can do is to rehome such a cat without telling the future owner everything about the cats moods and aggressiveness. A full x rey of the cat's body would be a good think just too see if there are any medical issues with the cat. Then again, I think that only few people had aggressive cats and they cant give you a real good advice just because cats are rarely aggressive. To me your cat wants to dominate your boyfriend, or maybe you and your boyfriend are involved in arguments. Some cats are sensitive when they see their favourite human arguing with other human. So, just in case, a calm and quiet house could help. If your house is quiet and calm then the cat just hates your boyfriend or wants to dominate him - law of the jungle.

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
It is good to cut the nails but the cat may use the fangs to scratch. The cat may also start biting or squeeze legs and so on. But if the cat is not aggressive too you that could be still a good thing because at least you can control the cat.
Many people did not have an aggressive cat because most cats are not aggressive. The worst thing you can do is to rehome such a cat without telling the future owner everything about the cats moods and aggressiveness. A full x rey of the cat's body would be a good think just too see if there are any medical issues with the cat. Then again, I think that only few people had aggressive cats and they cant give you a real good advice just because cats are rarely aggressive. To me your cat wants to dominate your boyfriend, or maybe you and your boyfriend are involved in arguments. Some cats are sensitive when they see their favourite human arguing with other human. So, just in case, a calm and quiet house could help. If your house is quiet and calm then the cat just hates your boyfriend or wants to dominate him - law of the jungle.
Usually a cat doesn't start to bite if you trim his nails. That phenomenon is usually what happens when you declaw cats.