Cat Keeps Attacking 5 Year Old When She Gets Hurt and Cries

Tester

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello all..
So my cat has recently (6 months) started attacking my 5 year old whenever she gets hurt and starts crying/sobbing, not just a bite, full on latching on/batting with claws out/ bitting her on the back. The 5 year old had a history of not being nice to the cat, teasing, hitting, and pretend hitting and stuff but as far as I know that has completely stopped but my cat will still attack. This only happens when she is crying AND hurt. If she is crying over not getting her way or something, the cat is fine, the attack only happens once the 5 year old hurts herself and starts sobbing/crying.

Any ideas?

suzeanna

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Does the crying sound different to you? Is the hurt crying more higher-pitched or screechy than the whining crying?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Tester

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I wouldn't say it's more high pitched, if anything its lower pitched. The last time it happened she was just sobbing pretty quietly after we were trying to calm her down.

suzeanna

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hmmm... Do you always attend to her immediately when she cries after getting hurt? Maybe it could be an attention thing?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Tester

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
This has only happened two times, and yeah my wife happened to be there to attend to her immediately both times. The second time, my cat attacked my wife in the back because she was between my cat and my 5 year old. The first time our 5 year old got attacked directly after she fell down some stairs. It's not a very often occurrence so I don't think its an attention thing. But when it happened the fur was raised on her back, ears back, pupils dilated, my cat looked completely feral I don't get it. We have been keeping them separate as best we can, and there has been no new incidents, but I am still worried incase our 5 year old hurts herself and my cat decides to attack and nobody is around this time, I don't know what to do. Our cat isn't spayed so, I set an appointment to spay in hopes that might work, but if there is anything else I can do or should know about that would help me out a lot.

suzeanna

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Spaying is a positive for sure in pretty much every behavioral situation -- I'm glad you're already going to do that. :2cents: These events can also just be startling and a bit overwhelming to the cat (lots of sudden activity and noise). It's not uncommon for cats to react with the fight-or-flight response to things like someone accidentally dropping and breaking a plate, as far as I have read and experienced.

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
The 5 year old had a history of not being nice to the cat, teasing, hitting, and pretend hitting and stuff but as far as I know that has completely stopped but my cat will still attack.
Please don't take this as a criticism but in order for us to help understand your situation better - just out of curiosity, why was your five year old daughter allowed to tease, hit or mistreat the cat? The reason I'm asking is because this may have had a negative effect and stressed your cat out, hence attacking her. Cats are extremely smart, i.e. they can sense who is calm, affectionate and gentle versus who is not. Your daughter's actions may have established a pattern. I thought this Article that discusses stress in cats, particularly Changes in Behavior, People Issues That Cause Stress and How to Deal With Stress in Cats might have some very helpful information for you: Stress in Cats – The Ultimate Guide – TheCatSite Articles

Best of luck, please keep us updated on your cat's progress. Fingers crossed everything will work out for your family. :crossfingers:

ArtNJ

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've seen a post on toddler/child crying triggering attacks at least once before here. I don't know how to search for it, since crying would generate too many hits. Probably you could find it with various combinations of cry/crying and toddler, child or baby.

Being honest, most or at least many sub 5 yo's are a PITA in general, and not great with cats. My son was certainly that way. As long as you weren't unusually tolerant of truly beastly behavior, I'd say that this is still a really rare thing and not fully explained by your child's behavior. Still, that doesn't mean that it didn't play a bit role, or that fixing the relationship wouldn't help. Having your child do positive stuff like feeding, giving treats and playig with toys should help.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
My two cents - the cries are different between hurt and the typical temper tantrum. Your cat knows the difference. The temper tantrums by your 5 yo are to get attention and the cat knows it is not truly stress related. The cries of hurt are for that reason and that reason only. Your cat can tell the difference, and is distressed by the cries of hurt. Some cats respond in an aggressive mode to cries of distress, as it distresses them too. I think that was more or less alluded to in the above posts.

Hopefully, the spaying will help. In the meantime, you have no choice but to watch over your 5 yo like a hawk and intervene if she gets hurt and cries. Tbh, a child of that age, given your current circumstances should never be left alone with a cat that is easily stressed by the child being hurt. It is just an instinctive reaction that will surely pass as both of them get older - any may more quickly dissipate once your cat is spayed. And, you should also make sure your child is no longer unintentionally badgering the cat - the impacts of that will also decrease over time as they age.

jefferd18

Ms. Jeff's Legacy
Top Cat
Purraise
Some, (not all) of my cats will lash out at one another if one is letting out a distress cry. Cats can be a nervous animal, with some more than others, and they don't always handle stressful situations well. He is in a situation that he can't control and it makes him very anxious.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Spaying definitely decreases stress and makes them more mellow. Your cat is anxious when in the presence of the 5-year-old because of past interactions with her, and the crying puts her over the edge. Any loud, stressed crying or noises upsets a cat, but instead of hiding, which is a normal reaction of a cat, your cat is displaying redirected aggression because of overstimulation. I would get her spayed asap and this WILL lessen as your daughter gets older and learns self-control. A 5-year-old cannot be left alone, so hopefully, an adult is nearby to intervene if needed. The cat could be scruffed, taking it by the loose skin on the back of the neck and pulled away, saying NO so she knows this is not acceptable behavior. Never pick them up by the skin, that can cause injury, but a cat will instinctively quiet when handled this way. it should be used as a last resort. If a child has a history of hitting/pretending to hit an animal, that is not acceptable behavior either and should be strongly discouraged. It only escalates over time. She may be still doing it when not observed. You cannot stop an injured child from crying, or a cat from attacking that has been overstimulated and remembers being hurt or scared.
Thank you for giving the whole story and reaching out for help. There are medications such as prescription Prozac, etc,. that can be given to calm an overanxious cat, even calming aides on Amazon or Walmart online. They may help. I pray your child does not get hurt, and that both will learn control. Bless you, for understanding and trying to get help......

Xena44

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I would also consider a feliway diffuser and feliway collar if the cat will wear one.