Cat is not nice around my 11 month old son

wacckky

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hello CatSite,

I am at my wits end and don't know what to do. we have a male snowshoe siamese cat that is 4 years old. hes not so nice with my 11 month old son. he's attacked him quite a few times and i fear he will really hurt my son one day. so far just minor scratches on his arm or hands

at this point, im almost ready to rehome him but i really dont want to do that.

its nearly impossible to keep them separated unless i lock the cat up in the room for the entire day, but thats not a life for a cat.

what can i do? if anything? i need advice asap.

ArtNJ

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well, I suppose with an 11 month old its probably not play aggression. Whether its fear-related and he is afraid of the toddler or something else, I can't say, you haven't told us enough. Did it just start happening when the baby started crawling? Does it seem related to the baby crying?

I don't want to sound judgmental, but isn't the baby is in a playpen (or strapped in a bouncy chair, etc, etc) when an adult isn't supervising and not left to play with toys while an adult isn't in the room? Just trying to understand how its happening.

All of the above said, you said this has been going for a while. Which, respectfully, is nuts because yes, he could seriously hurt the baby. We arren't going to be able to help you in the kind of time frame that changes what you should do -- which is rehome the cat. I'm sorry, but thats the reality of it. Cat training is not instantaneous, and often takes several weeks or longer, in which time the baby could lose an eye.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

wacckky

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Well, I suppose with an 11 month old its probably not play aggression. Whether its fear-related and he is afraid of the toddler or something else, I can't say, you haven't told us enough. Did it just start happening when the baby started crawling? Does it seem related to the baby crying?

I don't want to sound judgmental, but isn't the baby is in a playpen (or strapped in a bouncy chair, etc, etc) when an adult isn't supervising and not left to play with toys while an adult isn't in the room? Just trying to understand how its happening.

All of the above said, you said this has been going for a while. Which, respectfully, is nuts because yes, he could seriously hurt the baby. We arren't going to be able to help you in the kind of time frame that changes what you should do -- which is rehome the cat. I'm sorry, but thats the reality of it. Cat training is not instantaneous, and often takes several weeks or longer, in which time the baby could lose an eye.
i believe it may be fear related, as my bf had a previous roommate with tiny kids who were not nice to him. the cat has been fine with my son up until recent months because hes more mobile. he began to walk around 9.5 months and i think thats when it first happened. its maybe happend 3 times now.

at this point my son is too big for a swing, bouncy chair etc. he has a playpen but its only used for naps, since hes walking he wants to explore and so he doesnt like being in there for playtime. i let him roam around my livingroom. each time that this has happened, we were in the room with them both but it just happens so fast. tonight i was just on my couch doing my college homework, and my son was beside me playing with his book and he got up but the cat was around the corner and gave him a lil scratch on his arm and face.

but yeah just trying to see what my options were :( my boyfriend loves this cat (his cat) but he'd choose his son over the cat. id hate for this to happen and i would try to make it work but i dont want to risk my son being injured at all here

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
Hello CatSite,

I am at my wits end and don't know what to do. we have a male snowshoe siamese cat that is 4 years old. hes not so nice with my 11 month old son. he's attacked him quite a few times and i fear he will really hurt my son one day. so far just minor scratches on his arm or hands

at this point, im almost ready to rehome him but i really dont want to do that.

its nearly impossible to keep them separated unless i lock the cat up in the room for the entire day, but thats not a life for a cat.

what can i do? if anything? i need advice asap.
Your cat might like a trixie puzzle to keep the cat distracted. I use pill cutter and cut up treats and hide them. Or a DVD with animals. If you have a cat tower put it by the window and open the blinds so she can look outside. I also have chew toys scattered all over my apt. My adult cats still like chew toys. The cat might be disturbed by the blocks so the cat will need to be in another room. Good luck!

ArtNJ

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ah so you have a very athletic baby. Probably fearless, and probably has pulled on a tail, grabbed fur hard or at least toddled after the cat while squealing. That does make it tough. I mean, most cats will just avoid such a (in their minds) little terror, being so much faster and more agile. Even if your baby is a little ahead of schedule, millions have cats with similarly mobile babies after all. But some cats respond to stress with aggression -- its not an abnormal thing per se, just a huge problem.

Rereading my post, I appologize that it seemed judgmental. That was my bad. Its just that I don't know we are going to be able to fix this for you, and I'm not sure you have a choice. The only thing that might be strong enough and fast enough would be if your vet is willing to prescribe something for the cat. Which is no kind of permanent solution, but maybe it would buy you time to work on this. If you are looking for a Hail Mary to try and avoid rehoming the cat, I reckon that has to be it.

Good luck and best wishes. I know you are trying hard to do the right thing and appologize if I made you uncomfortable. But you do need to make a decision quickly.

Last edited:

Tik cat's mum

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It sounds like your bf roommates little one's are the cause of his fear. If you don't want to rehome the cat and try to fix you may have to change things a little bit. I would separate them for now put the cat in a room the toddler can't get into. Then I would introduce them very slowly by carrying the toddler when you take his food to the cat or give treats. The cat could come out when the child is in bed at night for now. That way kitty will start to see your toddler as a good thing. That way the cat should learn he won't be hurt by your child. I would also have cat trees and shelving so the cat can get out of the way of the little one when they are back together again. It can be scary for a cat when the little ones get mobile I know I've had kids and cat's together. Hope it works out for you. Jackson galaxy has some good tips on my cat from hell. When you do bring them together again stay close and try and I do say try to keep the toddler calm no noisy toys or running around at first. Keep them for when the cat is away. Good luck. It will take time and patience.

wacckky

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Ah so you have a very athletic baby. Probably fearless, and probably has pulled on a tail, grabbed fur hard or at least toddled after the cat while squealing. That does make it tough. I mean, most cats will just avoid such a (in their minds) little terror, being so much faster and more agile. Even if your baby is a little ahead of schedule, millions have cats with similarly mobile babies after all. But some cats respond to stress with aggression -- its not an abnormal thing per se, just a huge problem.

Rereading my post, I appologize that it seemed judgmental. That was my bad. Its just that I don't know we are going to be able to fix this for you, and I'm not sure you have a choice. The only thing that might be strong enough and fast enough would be if your vet is willing to prescribe something for the cat. Which is no kind of permanent solution, but maybe it would buy you time to work on this. If you are looking for a Hail Mary to try and avoid rehoming the cat, I reckon that has to be it.

Good luck and best wishes. I know you are trying hard to do the right thing and appologize if I made you uncomfortable. But you do need to make a decision quickly.
yeah im thinking once i get my pay cheque ill make a vet appointment to ask for advice/discuss my options. a friennd suggested nail caps which i love but it wouldnt stop a bite if he ever tried. hes set up in the spare room atm with everything he needs and a nice view of our busy street he doesnt seem to mind being alone in there rn. but i just hate the thought of him being locked up all the time

wacckky

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
It sounds like your bf roommates little one's are the cause of his fear. If you don't want to rehome the cat and try to fix you may have to change things a little bit. I would separate them for now put the cat in a room the toddler can't get into. Then I would introduce them very slowly by carrying the toddler when you take his food to the cat or give treats. The cat could come out when the child is in bed at night for now. That way kitty will start to see your toddler as a good thing. That way the cat should learn he won't be hurt by your child. I would also have cat trees and shelving so the cat can get out of the way of the little one when they are back together again. It can be scary for a cat when the little ones get mobile I know I've had kids and cat's together. Hope it works out for you. Jackson galaxy has some good tips on my cat from hell. When you do bring them together again stay close and try and I do say try to keep the toddler calm no noisy toys or running around at first. Keep them for when the cat is away. Good luck. It will take time and patience.
okay great! ill check out jackson galaxys tips i loved his show. i really dont and i made the post right after the situation so i was kinda mad and not thinking straight. id love to try and make it work, i know how much he means to my bf. the other 2 cats we have dont mind him, one doesnt care for him but the other absolutely loves him. after the situation we set him up in the spare room and he seems to he ok in there no scratching at the door to get out or anything but we did open the door for him when we went to bed

ArtNJ

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well, keep in mind that isolation in that room wouldn't necessarily need to be forever if you can use the time you gain for training. I don't know that scent swapping will do anything since the cat has been smelling the baby for 11 months, but you could try desensitization and reward training. In other words, the cat is in the room, you shake the treats outside the room, and open the door while holding the baby, you give a treat in the room, and your out of there. If the cat wont take the treat if the baby is too close, thats ok, you can toss the treats at first, and over a few days get closer. Let the cat link the baby with good things again. Maybe you can plot out a gradual progression, like after a day or two of that, you put the baby down at the very edge of the room, give the cat treats, and pick the baby up before he gets too close. You could try holding the baby while he gets his food as well. Stuff like that.

Talking to the vet about meds is still a good idea, but if you are willing to isolate for a bit, it gives you options to try and work on this.

ladytimedramon

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
One thing Jackson Galaxy promotes is high places for the cat away from the toddler, like shelves. I would be a little worried about a toddler trying to climb a cat tree.

It might work also if the cat is in its room when the toddler is at large, and when the toddler goes for nap or bedtime then the cat has free roam, at least until the toddler is older.

gilmargl

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Maybe this is a silly question - but have you watched exactly what happens before your son gets scratched? If your cat is a playful cat and your son waves his arms about he is bound to get scratched. I had cats when my children were small and never had problems except when the cat would "attack" their bare feet - particularly when they were lying in bed with their toes poking out of the blankets! But, my cats were indoor/outdoor cats which meant they could get away from noisy baby girls. Today cats have to share your rooms and have no escape. A cat tree is a good idea but won't solve the problem - or attraction - of a young boy waving his arms about just waiting for a cat to "attack" his prey.

Obviously, at this stage, your main objective is to protect your son, but I do feel that given time, patience and following some of the advice given here, you will sort this problem out and either cat and baby will be friends or they will simply ignore each other until they are older and have learnt to accept each other.

Neko-chan's mama

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I would advocate for a cat tree and shelves in the main living spaces. Look at it from your cat's point of view. This unstable giant lurches around his territory, making strange noises and seems threatening. Once kitty gets to be up high, out of baby's reach and can observe on his terms, he feels safer. Also look at your cat through baby's eyes. He looks like a mobile stuffed animal. He toddles to him, wanting to pick him up and play and hug. He's too little yet to understand when to let the cat be. If shelves and other places up high don't solve the problem in a few weeks, rehoming might be the only answer, but I would try to fix this problem before upsetting your cat's life. Baby's safety does have to come first though.