Cat Behaviors That Surprise a Newbie!

lisalu

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I never had a housecat until about six months ago when I adopted a stray that had wandered into my backyard. Until then I had always assumed cats were aloof and solitary and maybe tolerated a little human interaction now and then. I had no idea how wrong that was! I now have a furry friend up in my face (or under my feet) most of the day, and meowing at my bedroom door at daybreak. Honestly, I've had dogs less affectionate than this kitty.

But a few things she does are still puzzling. I wonder why she does the following:
  • When we're watching TV, she jumps up and sits right in front of it even though it's not a comfortable place to sit. (Then the remote doesn't work because she's blocking it.)

• When she sees me going downstairs, she likes to run ahead of me then lay on one of the steps and make me step OVER her.

• When she sees me going upstairs, she runs ahead and hides in a doorway and leaps out at me.

• She likes to "steal" little objects near me when I'm doing something - like pencils, or sewing items, for example - and I'm always scolding her to leave my things alone. But the funny thing is she NEVER bothers the same items if I'm not around to stop her. Why is that?

• And although she is by my side most of the day - or right on top of what I'm doing - occasionally she "disappears." And I mean I can't find her ANYWHERE, even when I turn the house upside down. Then an hour later she just appears out of nowhere. Where does she go??
To me these are all strange cat behaviors that I don't understand. She is sweet (a cuddle-bug who can't be petted enough) but also playful, mischievous and sassy! I honestly had no idea that cats were this tuned-in to humans, I thought they sat on windowsills all day, scratched at a post now and then, and occasionally let a human pet them. :lol:

ArtNJ

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Added my comments in bold.

But a few things she does are still puzzling. I wonder why she does the following:
  • When we're watching TV, she jumps up and sits right in front of it even though it's not a comfortable place to sit. (Then the remote doesn't work because she's blocking it.) She wants to be near you, and a cat's idea of comfortable can be weird at times! Give her something she will like to sit on, like a blanket near you on the couch, a basket on the nearby table or a scratching post with a cup top.
  • When she sees me going downstairs, she likes to run ahead of me then lay on one of the steps and make me step OVER her. Super annoying! I find its mostly young cats that do this, and they grow out of it. That said, you should actively discourage it. With a super bonded cat, they wont hold the occassional stomp or loud "no!" against you, and you don't want to trip over her. While that may not be terribly likely, you *will* step on her tail if she doesn't respect your space when you walk.
  • When she sees me going upstairs, she runs ahead and hides in a doorway and leaps out at me. Some cats play stalk/pounce their humans. If she isn't using claws, its not such a big deal, but there are issues to consider because claws could become involved later. Accidental stepping on is also an issue. I prefer to discourage this, but some allow this type of game without problems.
  • She likes to "steal" little objects near me when I'm doing something - like pencils, or sewing items, for example - and I'm always scolding her to leave my things alone. But the funny thing is she NEVER bothers the same items if I'm not around to stop her. Why is that? Your part of the game. Its a way to get attention.
  • And although she is by my side most of the day - or right on top of what I'm doing - occasionally she "disappears." And I mean I can't find her ANYWHERE, even when I turn the house upside down. Then an hour later she just appears out of nowhere. Where does she go?? You should continue your sleuthing on this. Some cats get inside box springs by scratching a hole. Some cats find their way into the walls. Do as thorough of a check as you can, since cats *do* hide dangerous places like inside the washing machine or under your car. You can try shaking a treat bag around the house and calling the cat, to get a sense of where she might come out of.

Last edited:

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
A ArtNJ gave you some great suggestions. Having had dogs and cats they are definitely two unique species. I thoroughly enjoy living with both of them but as you're finding out there is a big difference so don't necessarily expect what works for a dog to work for a cat.
I thought these two Articles would have some helpful information and advice for you:
First-time Cat Owner’s Guide – TheCatSite Articles
Bringing Home A New Cat – The Complete Guide – TheCatSite Articles

In addition, since it sounds like she is playful you might be interested in these two Articles. Playing with your cat is a good way to not only tire her out but bond and interact with her as well.
How To Choose The Best Toy For Your Cat – TheCatSite Articles
8 Superb Automated Cat Toys That You’re Going To Love! – TheCatSite Articles

Danneq

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Just adding on: Almost all of these behaviors are because she wants attention. She sits in front of the tv/your computer because she wants your attention, she takes your stuff because she wants to play with you, she chases your ankles because she wants to play with you. She sounds very young (and cute, we'd love to see pics!), she should settle as she gets older.

If you carry a toy in your pocket, you can throw it for her so she doesn't jump out at you. If you redirect her often enough it could break the habit. When she takes your things, don't scold her or touch her, just take the item back and ignore her. Then maybe give her some attention if she settles down somewhere or plays with something that is not your stuff. You want to make her toys more appealing to her than your "toys."

catsknowme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
L lisalu Thank you for taking a chance with a homeless kitty! Is she spayed yet? If not, as the Sun moves into the House of Capricorn, many cats are beginning their mating season and those rising hormones make them extra clingy, extra demanding and other behaviors. If she IS spayed, then she is likely in perpetual kitten mode, which I find delightful.
She definitely has a high stalk & play drive - likely, her ancestors were superior mousers as well as clever survivalists. ArtNJ gave some excellent explanations for the behaviors. Your kitty does an excellent job of getting your attention - she obviously has carefully observed the household and accurately assessed your behaviors. If YOUR play drive isn't as high as hers, I highly recommend getting a long fishing pole (a discarded flyfishing rod works great) or a lunge whip for horses and attach a teaser toy, such as Da Bird, on the end (economically minded people can use a simple rope with crumpled paper on the end,or a fake mouse or something similar). The purpose of the pole toy is to extend the diameter of the toy's flight path to be at least 10+ feet long, which allows for across-the-room dashes, full-gallop pursuits and high, aerial leaps; the goal is to mimic real hunting that uses exhausting sprints while conserving your own time and efforts. Commercial breaks are a great time to do the vigorous play. Afterwards, the routine often includes adding a meal or snack, then some cuddles followed by a cat nap. The long pole toy allows the human to remain seated if they prefer, and if the human is recovering from shoulder surgery, they can use their good forearm without sacrificing the distance needed for invigorating sprints.

vince

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
All these behaviors are perfectly normal. Most of them are ways she can get your attention.

One thing to watch about her hiding inside furniture after making a hole in the dust scrim: Some furniture has mechanisms inside like recliner chairs and sofas, and mattresses that can be configured to raise the head or feet. Those can really injure a cat, so if yours have them, make sure kitty can't get inside.

Caspers Human

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
When we're watching TV, she jumps up and sits right in front of it even though it's not a comfortable place to sit. (Then the remote doesn't work because she's blocking it.)
Why do my humans just sit there and stare at that glowing box? What is it? What does it do? Why don't they pay attention to me, instead?

I think I'll go over and see it... Hmm... There's nothing behind it? Maybe, if I go in front of it...

That's odd. It's just a window but there's nothing on the other side. How does this thing work? I need to investigate.

What? Why do my humans yell at me? I'm not doing anything. I'm just sitting here. Why can't I look out the window, too?

Well... At least they are paying attention to me, now!

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I second A ArtNJ suggestion to learn your cat's hiding places. It's okay if she has them. But you want to know that they are safe. And in a pinch, like a fire (or other disaster), or even a vet appointment, you want to know where to look for your frightened feline who may not come when you call her.

You also want to make certain that your cat isn't hiding because she's got some pain or discomfort. It doesn't sound like that's the case with yours. But something to watch for as she gets older.

In my Krista's final years, she had a lot of gut and butt issues (IBD, pancreatitis, and eventually lymphoma.) She spent a lot of time after meals under the bookcase or in a ground-level cat condo.
IMG_3243.JPG
I set up a couple of cameras so I could check in on her without disturbing her. Sometimes she was having a rough go of it.
IMG_3328.JPG
Most times, she simply enjoyed having a cozy, private place to sleep off a meal.
IMG_3201.JPG

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
She sounds like a wonderful fun cat who is enjoying herself thoroughly in her new home. I have lived with cats all my life and there are still plenty of times when I go “why?”. I do think in your cats case some of it is the pure joy of being lost and scared and now finding herself in this loving home

Tik cat's mum

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Congratulations you are officially a cat parent. :lol: A ArtNJ covered the behaviour and daftcat75 daftcat75 is right they do have a tendency to hide were you least expected them to. I have a lovely hole underneath my sofa that one of my boy's disappears inside, he also likes to open drawers and sleeps in them. He even got into the base of my bed through the drawers underneath it. I had to tempt him out with treats.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

lisalu

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Just adding on: Almost all of these behaviors are because she wants attention. She sits in front of the tv/your computer because she wants your attention, she takes your stuff because she wants to play with you, she chases your ankles because she wants to play with you. She sounds very young (and cute, we'd love to see pics!), she should settle as she gets older.

If you carry a toy in your pocket, you can throw it for her so she doesn't jump out at you. If you redirect her often enough it could break the habit. When she takes your things, don't scold her or touch her, just take the item back and ignore her. Then maybe give her some attention if she settles down somewhere or plays with something that is not your stuff. You want to make her toys more appealing to her than your "toys."
Here is Stella the day we first trapped her, and she was scared to death and hungry. Now she's a fat and sassy princess who is spoiled and pampered.

Attachments

lisalu

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I second A ArtNJ suggestion to learn your cat's hiding places. It's okay if she has them. But you want to know that they are safe. And in a pinch, like a fire (or other disaster), or even a vet appointment, you want to know where to look for your frightened feline who may not come when you call her.

You also want to make certain that your cat isn't hiding because she's got some pain or discomfort. It doesn't sound like that's the case with yours. But something to watch for as she gets older.

In my Krista's final years, she had a lot of gut and butt issues (IBD, pancreatitis, and eventually lymphoma.) She spent a lot of time after meals under the bookcase or in a ground-level cat condo.
View attachment 406921
I set up a couple of cameras so I could check in on her without disturbing her. Sometimes she was having a rough go of it.
View attachment 406923
Most times, she simply enjoyed having a cozy, private place to sleep off a meal.
View attachment 406922
Funny, today after I posted this I actually found a hiding place. I went in my closet and she was behind the door - a black cat lying on a black bag so I almost didn't see her. One time I did see her jump behind some books on a bookshelf, although I can't imagine that is a place she'd like to hide for any length of time. Don't even know WHY she'd do it. (And no, she's not sick at all, she's still young and healthy. She just pulls the disappearing act now and then for reasons known only to her.)

lisalu

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
L lisalu Thank you for taking a chance with a homeless kitty! Is she spayed yet? If not, as the Sun moves into the House of Capricorn, many cats are beginning their mating season and those rising hormones make them extra clingy, extra demanding and other behaviors. If she IS spayed, then she is likely in perpetual kitten mode, which I find delightful.
She definitely has a high stalk & play drive - likely, her ancestors were superior mousers as well as clever survivalists. ArtNJ gave some excellent explanations for the behaviors. Your kitty does an excellent job of getting your attention - she obviously has carefully observed the household and accurately assessed your behaviors. If YOUR play drive isn't as high as hers, I highly recommend getting a long fishing pole (a discarded flyfishing rod works great) or a lunge whip for horses and attach a teaser toy, such as Da Bird, on the end (economically minded people can use a simple rope with crumpled paper on the end,or a fake mouse or something similar). The purpose of the pole toy is to extend the diameter of the toy's flight path to be at least 10+ feet long, which allows for across-the-room dashes, full-gallop pursuits and high, aerial leaps; the goal is to mimic real hunting that uses exhausting sprints while conserving your own time and efforts. Commercial breaks are a great time to do the vigorous play. Afterwards, the routine often includes adding a meal or snack, then some cuddles followed by a cat nap. The long pole toy allows the human to remain seated if they prefer, and if the human is recovering from shoulder surgery, they can use their good forearm without sacrificing the distance needed for invigorating sprints.
Yes, Stella is spayed, we did that right away. In spite of being very young and very scrawny when we found her, the vet said she'd already had a litter - since we never saw or heard any kittens, I assume she was unable to feed them and they died (or coyotes got them.)

lisalu

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise

No, she doesn't "attack" with claws, she just kind of leaps out with her paws outstretched and tags me, like "Gotcha!" I just never knew that cats would initiate games with humans, I think it's funny.

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
No, she doesn't "attack" with claws, she just kind of leaps out with her paws outstretched and tags me, like "Gotcha!" I just never knew that cats would initiate games with humans, I think it's funny.
Cats can be taught to fetch and once they learn the game will bring their toy to you when they want to play.

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
Black cats are hard to find so I've clicker trained Maggie to come when called. Since she's so young start brushing her, brushing her teeth,trimming her claws

dustydiamond1

Minion to Gypsy since October 2016
Top Cat
Purraise
Funny, today after I posted this I actually found a hiding place. I went in my closet and she was behind the door - a black cat lying on a black bag so I almost didn't see her. One time I did see her jump behind some books on a bookshelf, although I can't imagine that is a place she'd like to hide for any length of time. Don't even know WHY she'd do it. (And no, she's not sick at all, she's still young and healthy. She just pulls the disappearing act now and then for reasons known only to her.)
Our girl Gypsy was the neighborhood stray 5 yrs ago when she decided to allow us to become her beloved minions. The vets guess was that she was 1 or 2yo, she had been TNR'd. We had no idea what to do so I searched the internet and found great information and a home here on TCS. She didn't know how to play. The 1st thing she interacted with was a shoelace tied to a window blind wand, she still loves wand toys although ignores most 'regular' cat toys. She behaves a lot like your girl. In spite of numerous times of her tail being stepped on she still insists on dashing in front of us to stop, flop and tummy up to be rubbed. I think it's very important to know where their hiding places are but also to act like we don't and unless its an emergency leave them alone when they are there. How old is your Stella? Gypsy was content to stay indoors that first winter but come Spring wanted to go outside so I researched and got her a good cat walking jacket and, until it gets cold, still enjoys our 'walkies' although its more like 'meandering and sniffing':wavey:

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Great comments so far! Yes, she is definitely wanting attention from her loved one -- you!
And I always cat-proof any environment the same way I would child-proof -- hide anything potentially dangerous, keep things picked up in the house and if there are any things she could access that may be dangerous or forbidden, make sure you have cupboards, cabinets, drawers secure boxes, or closets that close securely and if they don't, visit the hardware store for child-proof locks. Our beloved angel Tarifa used to hide in back of my dad's lounge chair and once I saw that that was a favorite place, I always looked there first when I couldn't find her.