Cat Behaviors That Surprise a Newbie!

Caspers Human

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I like to tease my dad that my cat knows more tricks than his dog.
Absolutely! :D

I have had cats that were better "fetch" players than any dog!

It's because the motivation is different. Cats and dogs like to chase the ball or the toy for similar reasons. (Predator instinct.)
But, once your pet catches it, the motivation is different. The dog wants to keep the toy...to possess it. The cat wants to "kill" the toy as if it was a mouse or some other critter.

Once the dog is done catching and, presumably, "killing" the toy, he wants to play "keep away." That might be fun for the dog but it's not the way the human wants to play the game.

When the cat is done "killing" the toy, he wants to do it some more. He knows that, in order to play the game again, he needs to give it back to the human so that the toy can be thrown again.

The point is that cats and dogs are both trainable. You just need to understand what a cat's motivations are so that you can think like a cat. ;)

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes, I was the same, I thought cats just kind of did their own thing and maybe let a human pet them once in a while. I thought they were aloof, and apt to hiss and spit now and then. (Stella has NEVER hissed, snarled or lashed out, not even once. Don't know if that is exceptional, I'm still learning about cats!) I never imagined that cats were so affectionate, playful and even communicative. Honestly, I've had dogs that were less glad to see me when I get up in the morning than this cat! She's been a lot of fun, I'm really glad she's part of the family now.
I have mentioned this episode many times but not everyone has heard it:

At 3 months old, Maggie would start from the kitchen, run to the porch window,splat her paws against it,shake her head back and forth,chase her tail,run up 72inch tower and back down,go room to room and give a loud meow ,then do it all over again. Just for a year+l till she was adult every night. My cat Peaches found her very annoying trying to play with her and running around splatting her paws. My fav pic: she would startle peaches so bad her tail would poof out
2015-07-24 001 001.JPG

Neko-chan's mama

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Dogs, cats, horses, goats, birds... I like all animals.

I find it odd that people think there should be "dog people" or "cat people."

When I was a kid, my father wouldn't let us have a cat because he claimed that the dogs would "eat" the cat.
I always thought that idea was BS. Later on, after he died, I proved it. If dogs and cats are brought up together or, if not, they are properly introduced, there won't be a problem. I, personally, have had cats and dogs that got along famously with each other.

In fact, my first cat, "K.C." was buddies with my neighbor's German Shepherd, named "Koenig." (Pronnounced: "Kay-nig") They got along well. Whenever the neighbor took Koenig out for a walk, KC would greet him at the apartment door. It was almost a daily routine. In fact, Koenig and KC would look out for each other.

If another dog came around, Koenig would physically stand between KC and the other dog. If there was another cat, KC would do the same. It seemed like KC was saying, "Hey! This is MY dog! You can't come near!"

As far as I am concerned, the idea of "Cat vs. Dog" doesn't hold water.
I grew up with both and love both for different reasons. The pair I remember best was the cocker spaniel and 4 week old kitten that I raised the summer I was 13. They were the best of friends, so much so that the cat was depressed when the dog passed away. I don't call myself a dog person or a cat person, I call myself a pet person because I love all animals except for spiders and guinea pigs.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

lisalu

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Dogs, cats, horses, goats, birds... I like all animals.

I find it odd that people think there should be "dog people" or "cat people."

When I was a kid, my father wouldn't let us have a cat because he claimed that the dogs would "eat" the cat.
I always thought that idea was BS. Later on, after he died, I proved it. If dogs and cats are brought up together or, if not, they are properly introduced, there won't be a problem. I, personally, have had cats and dogs that got along famously with each other.

In fact, my first cat, "K.C." was buddies with my neighbor's German Shepherd, named "Koenig." (Pronnounced: "Kay-nig") They got along well. Whenever the neighbor took Koenig out for a walk, KC would greet him at the apartment door. It was almost a daily routine. In fact, Koenig and KC would look out for each other.

If another dog came around, Koenig would physically stand between KC and the other dog. If there was another cat, KC would do the same. It seemed like KC was saying, "Hey! This is MY dog! You can't come near!"

As far as I am concerned, the idea of "Cat vs. Dog" doesn't hold water.
I think it's a matter of which animal best suits your lifestyle. Dogs, of course, need to be taken out for bathroom purposes, so if you aren't able to do that regularly a cat who uses a litter box might better suit your lifestyle. Or if you want a companion animal that will alert you to strangers or help to warn them away, you might prefer a dog because a cat won't do that. If you don't mind a pet that jumps up on you, but don't like a pet that can jump up on your kitchen counter, you might prefer a dog - or vice versa! If you live in a small home or apartment, you can better accommodate a cat (by adding vertical spaces) than most dogs. If you have a fenced in yard it will keep a dog contained but not a cat. So I can see why people would have a preference for one animal over another.

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think it's a matter of which animal best suits your lifestyle. Dogs, of course, need to be taken out for bathroom purposes, so if you aren't able to do that regularly a cat who uses a litter box might better suit your lifestyle. Or if you want a companion animal that will alert you to strangers or help to warn them away, you might prefer a dog because a cat won't do that. If you don't mind a pet that jumps up on you, but don't like a pet that can jump up on your kitchen counter, you might prefer a dog - or vice versa! If you live in a small home or apartment, you can better accommodate a cat (by adding vertical spaces) than most dogs. If you have a fenced in yard it will keep a dog contained but not a cat. So I can see why people would have a preference for one animal over another.
Just begging to differ on the security -- many cats will growl when they hear something unusual, in my experience. And their hearing is far more acute than ours.

Cat McCannon

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
The behavior you’re describing is normal for a healthy, intelligent cat that’s becoming comfortable in her home. There are things you can do to make the home more comfortable for you and your cat.

First, close of the UNDERS & BEHINDS. These are areas a cat can get into that pose a danger to them and/or not easy for you to dig them out. “Not Easy” is just that. If you can’t reach in and pick up your cat in an emergency, it’s an UNDER or BEHIND.

Next, Catify your home. Provide cat condos, scratching posts, vertical spaces & pathways and snug cocoons for your cats. The snug cocoons are safe replacements for the unders & behinds.

I find that providing a cat with something more interesting or fun works better that scolding. (Ok, sometimes I scold Belle, but it’s in a lighthearted way while scratching her cheek.) If Belle were to lie in my way on the stairs, I’d gently shoo her aside with a foot. (I’m still nimble enough to do so without risking a fall.)

The toys cats enjoy the most are human activated toys. The best human activated toy I’ve found is the wand. You can get wand toys that have the feathers, mouse, crinkle ball or what ever, connected directly to the end of the wand. Or, to a string at the end of the wand. Once you have a wand toy, the three best things you can do are-
1) Play with your cat
2) Play with your cat
3) Play with your cat

Last edited:

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Couldn't agree more with your suggestions and observations, Cat McCannon Cat McCannon ! Cat-proof your environment the way you would child-proof it, bearing in mind that a cat is much smaller than a kid and can climb under and jump over and onto places a kid can't.
And PLAY with your CAT!!! We love Cat Dancer and da Bird, both interactive wand-and-lure "fishing pole" type toys.

lisalu

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
The behavior you’re describing is normal for a healthy, intelligent cat that’s becoming comfortable in her home. There are things you can do to make the home more comfortable for you and your cat.

First, close of the UNDERS & BEHINDS. These are areas a cat can get into that pose a danger to them and/or not easy for you to dig them out. “Not Easy” is just that. If you can’t reach in and pick up your cat in an emergency, it’s an UNDER or BEHIND.

Next, Catify your home. Provide cat condos, scratching posts, vertical spaces & pathways and snug cocoons for your cats. The snug cocoons are safe replacements for the unders & behinds.

I find that providing a cat with something more interesting or fun works better that scolding. (Ok, sometimes I scold Belle, but it’s in a lighthearted way while scratching her cheek.) If Belle were to lie in my way on the stairs, I’d gently shoo her aside with a foot. (I’m still nimble enough to do so without risking a fall.)

The toys cats enjoy the most are human activated toys. The best human activated toy I’ve found is the wand. You can get wand toys that have the feathers, mouse, crinkle ball or what ever, connected directly to the end of the wand. Or, to a string at the end of the wand. Once you have a wand toy, the three best things you can do are-
1) Play with your cat
2) Play with your cat
3) Play with your cat
Don't worry, my "scolding" such as it is, is very indulgent. Stella is a pampered princess and my half-hearted attempts to discourage her from doing something are usually ignored. (I only get insistent when she does something potentially dangerous, like trying to leap onto the stove.) We have built her a large catio including her own private "bathroom" (a little shed with a litter box connected to the catio) and she has every toy, cat tree, and scratching post a kitty could want as well as three adults in our home who can't give her enough attention. She is petted, pampered and spoiled and loves every minute of it.

lisalu

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Just begging to differ on the security -- many cats will growl when they hear something unusual, in my experience. And their hearing is far more acute than ours.
My cat definitely perks up when she hears an unusual sound, so if I'm near her I'd notice that. But she isn't going to wake me up in the middle of the night like a dog barking when they hear an intruder and she sure won't scare any intruder away! When strange people come into the house, her reaction is to hide until she figures out who they are.

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Don't worry, my "scolding" such as it is, is very indulgent. Stella is a pampered princess and my half-hearted attempts to discourage her from doing something are usually ignored. (I only get insistent when she does something potentially dangerous, like trying to leap onto the stove.) We have built her a large catio including her own private "bathroom" (a little shed with a litter box connected to the catio) and she has every toy, cat tree, and scratching post a kitty could want as well as three adults in our home who can't give her enough attention. She is petted, pampered and spoiled and loves every minute of it.
You are obviously an acceptable family for Stella. Carry on. ;)

lisalu

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
You are obviously an acceptable family for Stella. Carry on. ;)
When that starving, lost kitty wandered into our backyard seven months ago, she really hit the jackpot. We are empty nesters who lost our last dog a couple of years ago and we weren't really up for the demands of getting another dog but we missed having pets. Stella turned out to be perfect for us, and even my husband who thought he "hated" cats, is crazy about her. I think we were meant for each other. :)

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
When that starving, lost kitty wandered into our backyard seven months ago, she really hit the jackpot. We are empty nesters who lost our last dog a couple of years ago and we weren't really up for the demands of getting another dog but we missed having pets. Stella turned out to be perfect for us, and even my husband who thought he "hated" cats, is crazy about her. I think we were meant for each other. :)
A dear friend of mine used to say that "A cat is love made visible." She was right, of course. Cat give unconditional loyalty and love to those who have earned it. Those of us who truly love cats know that WE are the ones who "hit the jackpot." ;)

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My cat definitely perks up when she hears an unusual sound, so if I'm near her I'd notice that. But she isn't going to wake me up in the middle of the night like a dog barking when they hear an intruder and she sure won't scare any intruder away! When strange people come into the house, her reaction is to hide until she figures out who they are.
Growling definitely wakes me up.

Cat McCannon

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
You say “pampered”. Your cat thinks “hard earned and well deserved”.:redcat: