Cat Behaviors That Surprise a Newbie!

vince

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Cats definitely do initiate games. One of mine plays peek-a-boo from behind the TV. She disappears behind it, I express dismay about having lost her, and she pops her head out from behind, usually with a big trill. At times, the others have initiated a game of fetch or "chase me," (which they usually win).

Mine also sit in front of the TV when I'm trying to watch a program. I think every cat I've ever had has done that. They don't often watch what's on, but sit and look at me for attention.

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
Great comments so far! Yes, she is definitely wanting attention from her loved one -- you!
And I always cat-proof any environment the same way I would child-proof -- hide anything potentially dangerous, keep things picked up in the house and if there are any things she could access that may be dangerous or forbidden, make sure you have cupboards, cabinets, drawers secure boxes, or closets that close securely and if they don't, visit the hardware store for child-proof locks. Our beloved angel Tarifa used to hide in back of my dad's lounge chair and once I saw that that was a favorite place, I always looked there first when I couldn't find her.
Also those tiny door stoppers they can chew in pieces and swallow and dental floss. My trash cans are step on. I had to child proof my stove knobs. She would bend all the way to almost touching the floor and turn a knob. Just like having a toddler. When my cat peaches was 5 weeks old,very tiny,she got in my fridge and I shut the door. Luckily I noticed immediately. Now 8 7pds hard to believe she's a young senior.

Attachments

Last edited:

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
I never had a housecat until about six months ago when I adopted a stray that had wandered into my backyard. Until then I had always assumed cats were aloof and solitary and maybe tolerated a little human interaction now and then. I had no idea how wrong that was! I now have a furry friend up in my face (or under my feet) most of the day, and meowing at my bedroom door at daybreak. Honestly, I've had dogs less affectionate than this kitty.

But a few things she does are still puzzling. I wonder why she does the following:
  • When we're watching TV, she jumps up and sits right in front of it even though it's not a comfortable place to sit. (Then the remote doesn't work because she's blocking it.)

• When she sees me going downstairs, she likes to run ahead of me then lay on one of the steps and make me step OVER her.

• When she sees me going upstairs, she runs ahead and hides in a doorway and leaps out at me.

• She likes to "steal" little objects near me when I'm doing something - like pencils, or sewing items, for example - and I'm always scolding her to leave my things alone. But the funny thing is she NEVER bothers the same items if I'm not around to stop her. Why is that?

• And although she is by my side most of the day - or right on top of what I'm doing - occasionally she "disappears." And I mean I can't find her ANYWHERE, even when I turn the house upside down. Then an hour later she just appears out of nowhere. Where does she go??
To me these are all strange cat behaviors that I don't understand. She is sweet (a cuddle-bug who can't be petted enough) but also playful, mischievous and sassy! I honestly had no idea that cats were this tuned-in to humans, I thought they sat on windowsills all day, scratched at a post now and then, and occasionally let a human pet them. :lol:

What is unique about cats is their personalities are very different. She is a teenager now so she will probably but not always change. I love watching them grow up. Have fun!

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Also those tiny door stoppers they can chew in pieces and swallow and dental floss. My trash cans are step on. I had to child proof my stove knobs. She would bend all the way to almost touching the floor and turn a knob. Just like having a toddler. When my cat peaches was 5 weeks old,very tiny,she got in my fridge and I shut the door. Luckily I noticed immediately. Now 8 7pds hard to believe she's a young senior.
Jackson Galaxy says cats are like toddlers that can reach the ceiling. It can be quite the task to cat-proof a home. The biggest difference I can say about cats vs dogs is that cats are much more stubborn and will continually test their training whereas dogs can be taught boundaries a lot easier. Often times I find it’s just easier to let the cat train me than the other way around. “Oh you like to drink from the toilet and shred toilet paper? I will leave the lid down and the roll covered.” And counters? Twelve years I argued with Krista about counters. When she got sick in her senior years, I relented. I found it so much easier to medicate her at my height than at hers. It was easier to do my dishes and wipe down my counters than to teach her not to be a cat. We had so many great moments together on the counters those last few years. And the cat before her, Cabbie, we had our own arguments and lessons. It’s different with every cat. Pay attention to her individuality and enjoy.😹😻

Purr-fect

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I never had a housecat until about six months ago when I adopted a stray that had wandered into my backyard. Until then I had always assumed cats were aloof and solitary and maybe tolerated a little human interaction now and then. I had no idea how wrong that was! I now have a furry friend up in my face (or under my feet) most of the day, and meowing at my bedroom door at daybreak. Honestly, I've had dogs less affectionate than this kitty.

But a few things she does are still puzzling. I wonder why she does the following:
  • When we're watching TV, she jumps up and sits right in front of it even though it's not a comfortable place to sit. (Then the remote doesn't work because she's blocking it.)

• When she sees me going downstairs, she likes to run ahead of me then lay on one of the steps and make me step OVER her.

• When she sees me going upstairs, she runs ahead and hides in a doorway and leaps out at me.

• She likes to "steal" little objects near me when I'm doing something - like pencils, or sewing items, for example - and I'm always scolding her to leave my things alone. But the funny thing is she NEVER bothers the same items if I'm not around to stop her. Why is that?

• And although she is by my side most of the day - or right on top of what I'm doing - occasionally she "disappears." And I mean I can't find her ANYWHERE, even when I turn the house upside down. Then an hour later she just appears out of nowhere. Where does she go??
To me these are all strange cat behaviors that I don't understand. She is sweet (a cuddle-bug who can't be petted enough) but also playful, mischievous and sassy! I honestly had no idea that cats were this tuned-in to humans, I thought they sat on windowsills all day, scratched at a post now and then, and occasionally let a human pet them. :lol:
I wont answer you questions as you already have lots of great responses from knowledgeable experienced loving pet owners.

You have been adopted by your kitty. She trusts you, wants to be near you and over time the bond will likely become even stronger. She has selected you as her own.... the greatest compliment a cat can give.

Welcome to a special world that
many people, (such as even yourself) did not know existed.

Last edited:

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Daftcat is right, of course! So much easier to let the superior species train the inferior one :insertevillaugh::yess:
And vince is right, too, on the TV watching. Our beloved angel Samuda LOVED car chase scenes. He'd sit on the bottom edge of the bed and look engrossed when one of those was on. *Unfortunately, there weren't many because I'm not into those kinds of programs/films. But he took full advantage when one was on.* We have a DVD called "CAT DREAMS" which is basically well-produced footage of cats' favorite prey animals and other small creatures in beautiful settings, with natural sounds. All of us love it. And we love nature programs. My cats often come to attention when there are birds, insects, or small rodents on the screen.

Danneq

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
No, she doesn't "attack" with claws, she just kind of leaps out with her paws outstretched and tags me, like "Gotcha!" I just never knew that cats would initiate games with humans, I think it's funny.
Oh, yes, of course! I never meant to imply otherwise. My cat Lexi does this same thing, she "attacks" my ankles but with her claws in. Like you say, it's just a game. :kneading:

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
And speaking of cat TV, there are many YouTube channels of cat relaxation music. But there’s only one Music For Cats.
Home | Music for Cats | David Teie

It’s scientifically researched and cat tested. It is composed of sounds cats enjoy like heartbeats, ticking, and purring. It is available on all the major streaming services. I programmed it as an alarm on my Sonos soundbar to play during the days for Krista. I called it her “cat rock.” 🤘😸🤘 She would spend hours laying or sleeping against the soundbar. I also put it on an iPod for her to take it with us on vet trips (or overnight stays.) I joked with the hospital staff that she was probably their only patient who came with a soundtrack. 😻 To this day, I still have that alarm come on every morning. It shuffles me out of the bedroom/living room into the office. And it’s pleasing daytime music for that half of the home.
8351FA3B-7C5E-4473-99F4-77C35AC2150E.jpeg

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
And speaking of cat TV, there are many YouTube channels of cat relaxation music. But there’s only one Music For Cats.
Home | Music for Cats | David Teie

It’s scientifically researched and cat tested. It is composed of sounds cats enjoy like heartbeats, ticking, and purring. It is available on all the major streaming services. I programmed it as an alarm on my Sonos soundbar to play during the days for Krista. I called it her “cat rock.” 🤘😸🤘 She would spend hours laying or sleeping against the soundbar. I also put it on an iPod for her to take it with us on vet trips (or overnight stays.) I joked with the hospital staff that she was probably their only patient who came with a soundtrack. 😻 To this day, I still have that alarm come on every morning. It shuffles me out of the bedroom/living room into the office. And it’s pleasing daytime music for that half of the home.
View attachment 407002
*Cat tested. CAT APURRoved.* :hearthrob: :kneading::hearthrob:

Caspers Human

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
And I always cat-proof any environment the same way I would child-proof -- hide anything potentially dangerous...
Yes! Furthermore, if your cat is climbing on your TV stand, you need to get a safety strap so that he won't knock your TV over.

It only costs about $20.00 and takes, maybe twenty minutes to install. It's a cheap insurance policy to help prevent your TV from getting broken or your cat from getting hurt.

I would never think of having a cat if I didn't have my TV strapped down!

minish

minish first..
Alpha Cat
Purraise
L lisalu exactly my experience with minish after I brought her home as a first cat. I used to think of cats as house decorations and food thieves . Now I understand why humans serve cats and let them train them because they are lovely loving companions.
And be sure that just as you try to figure your cat out, she tries to figure you out and in time, she will sync with your schedule and moods. Kitten phase is a bit crazy, demanding all your atttiention and lots of mischief potential but it will pass. Best to set some rules that you absolutely need (Iike not to be woken up at 4 am) and have fun with the rest. If minish watched TV, I'd give her her own TV stool, encouraging with treats.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

lisalu

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
L lisalu exactly my experience with minish after I brought her home as a first cat. I used to think of cats as house decorations and food thieves . Now I understand why humans serve cats and let them train them because they are lovely loving companions.
And be sure that just as you try to figure your cat out, she tries to figure you out and in time, she will sync with your schedule and moods. Kitten phase is a bit crazy, demanding all your atttiention and lots of mischief potential but it will pass. Best to set some rules that you absolutely need (Iike not to be woken up at 4 am) and have fun with the rest. If minish watched TV, I'd give her her own TV stool, encouraging with treats.
Yes, I was the same, I thought cats just kind of did their own thing and maybe let a human pet them once in a while. I thought they were aloof, and apt to hiss and spit now and then. (Stella has NEVER hissed, snarled or lashed out, not even once. Don't know if that is exceptional, I'm still learning about cats!) I never imagined that cats were so affectionate, playful and even communicative. Honestly, I've had dogs that were less glad to see me when I get up in the morning than this cat! She's been a lot of fun, I'm really glad she's part of the family now.

ClumsyBear

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Yes, I was the same, I thought cats just kind of did their own thing and maybe let a human pet them once in a while. I thought they were aloof, and apt to hiss and spit now and then. (Stella has NEVER hissed, snarled or lashed out, not even once. Don't know if that is exceptional, I'm still learning about cats!) I never imagined that cats were so affectionate, playful and even communicative. Honestly, I've had dogs that were less glad to see me when I get up in the morning than this cat! She's been a lot of fun, I'm really glad she's part of the family now.
My boyfriend and I got a cat in November, and while I grew up with cats, he had never been around them, so he also thought they just ignored you and slept all day. He's been surprised by how much our cat likes attention and likes to play. He always greets us with a meow when we get back home, or when we wake up. I think cats are often misunderstood, so it's a lot of fun to see people interact with them and realize that they are super curious, playful, and friendly.

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
As with human relationships, you get back what you put in. Cats are intelligent, sensitive, intuitive beings who are very affectionate, loyal, loving and friendly given half a chance. When they love you, you know you've earned it. I've lived with cats literally since conception, and there have been/are many cats in my life. Their love and loyalty are incomparable.
IMG_2027.JPG

lisalu

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
As with human relationships, you get back what you put in. Cats are intelligent, sensitive, intuitive beings who are very affectionate, loyal, loving and friendly given half a chance. When they love you, you know you've earned it. I've lived with cats literally since conception, and there have been/are many cats in my life. Their love and loyalty are incomparable. View attachment 407137
Awwwww! Your kitty resembles mine! My husband even commented that he didn't usually like cats that much, but he really likes the stray we adopted. He thought the tuxedo pattern was really striking, and says she's the prettiest kitty he ever saw.

lisalu

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My boyfriend and I got a cat in November, and while I grew up with cats, he had never been around them, so he also thought they just ignored you and slept all day. He's been surprised by how much our cat likes attention and likes to play. He always greets us with a meow when we get back home, or when we wake up. I think cats are often misunderstood, so it's a lot of fun to see people interact with them and realize that they are super curious, playful, and friendly.
My sister is a dog person (she has a funny, sassy ****-a-poo) and when I told her I had gotten a cat, she was puzzled. "What does a cat do?" she wanted to know. "What good are they?" I assured her that my cat is every BIT as funny and sassy as her dog and just as affectionate, too.

PS...Unbelievably, the breed of my sister's dog has been ****'d out. Dog that is a Cocker Spaniel + Poodle. Really....we can't say that here?

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My sister is a dog person (she has a funny, sassy ****-a-poo) and when I told her I had gotten a cat, she was puzzled. "What does a cat do?" she wanted to know. "What good are they?" I assured her that my cat is every BIT as funny and sassy as her dog and just as affectionate, too.

PS...Unbelievably, the breed of my sister's dog has been ****'d out. Dog that is a Cocker Spaniel + Poodle. Really....we can't say that here?
I've been forced to care for two dogs in my life. NEVER again. I do not like dogs at all. CATS all the way for me.

Caspers Human

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've been forced to care for two dogs in my life. NEVER again. I do not like dogs at all. CATS all the way for me.
Dogs, cats, horses, goats, birds... I like all animals.

I find it odd that people think there should be "dog people" or "cat people."

When I was a kid, my father wouldn't let us have a cat because he claimed that the dogs would "eat" the cat.
I always thought that idea was BS. Later on, after he died, I proved it. If dogs and cats are brought up together or, if not, they are properly introduced, there won't be a problem. I, personally, have had cats and dogs that got along famously with each other.

In fact, my first cat, "K.C." was buddies with my neighbor's German Shepherd, named "Koenig." (Pronnounced: "Kay-nig") They got along well. Whenever the neighbor took Koenig out for a walk, KC would greet him at the apartment door. It was almost a daily routine. In fact, Koenig and KC would look out for each other.

If another dog came around, Koenig would physically stand between KC and the other dog. If there was another cat, KC would do the same. It seemed like KC was saying, "Hey! This is MY dog! You can't come near!"

As far as I am concerned, the idea of "Cat vs. Dog" doesn't hold water.

danteshuman

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I was surprised to learn that you can teach your cat tricks (clicker training.) I like to tease my dad that my cat knows more tricks than his dog. I think lots of times when people have a difficult cat it is because they haven’t put in the care & effort.

I was also shocked to learn from my last hyper cat that outside time is like Ritalin for hyper cats. I’m on hyper cat #2 & provided he gets his daily 2 hours outside time; he is an angel! He does get a bit naughty when he gets rained in for days(& that is when I pull out the interactive toys.)

Jackie is also a total snuggle bug because I let him just use me as a bed until he asks for pets. Like I keep telling my niece “be the furniture.” 🤣

Attachments