Calling all knitters and other woolly things.

iPappy

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
We just never know what our cats can do, they are resourceful little critters. It occurred to me yesterday I've been putting my WIPS in a basket with a lid but, now that I think about it, I can easily see Austin pushing the cover off. So they will not be going in there anymore. It's like you have to stay one step ahead of them. He has managed to pull the top off one of the water fountains with his teeth. Water everywhere. I am guessing I need a different style fountain. One of my nicknames for Austin is PITA (Pain in the A--) .
Mine are at the point they ALL look at me if I say "you little terd!" :lol: Goofy was my biggest worry with the yarn, he would eat almost anything he could sample and I could have seen him getting into very bad trouble with it. With his passing, I think I started letting my guard down and Lila reminded me that I really shouldn't do that.

I love the sweater and the model! I am in the process of looking for another cat and I guess my last cat spoiled ME! She was so laid back, so clean and tidy and never got into trouble! She would investigate, but never disturb things. Perhaps old age had a lot to do with it, I dunno. If she played with strands they had to be blue and I had to start the game. My plants were never disturbed either!
The only thing that got her going were felt mice and their tails.
Lucky you getting to have plants! They do spoil us, Goofy was just such a happy, friendly, kind little cat and I worry I won't get that again. 😥

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

mani

Moderator and fervent feline fan
Staff Member
Purraise
Oh wow.. art mimicing life! They are both definitely 'stares'.
Great pattern.. a bit beyond my ability. :(

catloverfromwayback

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh wow.. art mimicing life! They are both definitely 'stares'.
Great pattern.. a bit beyond my ability. :(
Have you had a look at the designer's page I linked? She has photos of the models/inspirations for the pattern. 😄

Don't underestimate yourself - if you can knit in the round, you can tackle this. It's only a matter of using two yarns and keeping them loose.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

mani

Moderator and fervent feline fan
Staff Member
Purraise
Have you had a look at the designer's page I linked? She has photos of the models/inspirations for the pattern. 😄

Don't underestimate yourself - if you can knit in the round, you can tackle this. It's only a matter of using two yarns and keeping them loose.
I've never knitted in the round. I used to do the most fiddly stitches, but only on scarves.. when I have to start shaping I go weak at the knees. Not sure why. I probably need to get over it!

GranolaLouise

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hey I like that!!!
I've never knitted in the round. I used to do the most fiddly stitches, but only on scarves.. when I have to start shaping I go weak at the knees. Not sure why. I probably need to get over it!
I love circular knitting. It is those armhole and neckline decreases in flat knitting that get me. Decrease one in, two in 3 in from the edge? The NEVER look right and I really am bad in the patience department as far as seaming the pieces together. Circular is so much easier, but if you can do flat and also neat deacreases(especially decreasing while cabling), then consider yourself blessed,gal

catloverfromwayback

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Knitting in the round isn’t too hard, though I prefer knitting flat - my tension is better and I don’t mind seaming. I made this in the round because colourwork. The pattern can be used to make a cowl - no shaping!

catloverfromwayback

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hey I like that!!!

I love circular knitting. It is those armhole and neckline decreases in flat knitting that get me. Decrease one in, two in 3 in from the edge? The NEVER look right and I really am bad in the patience department as far as seaming the pieces together. Circular is so much easier, but if you can do flat and also neat deacreases(especially decreasing while cabling), then consider yourself blessed,gal
I hate armhole shaping for set-in sleeves too, but I don’t like wearing set-in sleeves much, so just do drop-shoulder patterns - no shaping!

Kwik

Animals are Blessings
Top Cat
Purraise
LOL! I’ve heard jumper also means a type of dress in rhe US, is that right?
Maths will depend on what sort of patterns you do, or if you’re doing things like substituting different weight yarn and need to figure out sizing. My knitting doesn’t. The most I do is count stitches. I am next best thing to innumerate, so calculations are something I avoid. Daisydins is intarsia - knitting blocks of colour. It’s easy, but you can have several balls of wool to keep out of the way. It only uses one at a time, easier ime than stranded knitting.

Have you seen @mani’s “Calling all knitters and other woolly things” thread? Maybe we should take this conversation there!

catloverfromwayback catloverfromwayback ,yea good idea to continue here instead of derailing the Smiley Thread👍

I don't knit bit am interested in learning-might be a good past time after my knee replacement-so what would I need to buy for starters? Or is crocheting easier ? Are you saying you have to count? How is that relaxing?What video should I watch?

Your sweater (Daisy paw) is gorgeous,I love it!

Oh and yes- a jumper ( here) is a dress......I gave him the benefit of the doubt though and figured he meant a jump suit( which is also a girlie thing)..... it was pretty funny ,we had alot of miscommunication in the beginning (an Aussie & a New York Italian,we had no idea what the other was saying half the time)rofl

catloverfromwayback

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
LOL! I’ve heard jumper also means a type of dress in rhe US, is that right?
Maths will depend on what sort of patterns you do, or if you’re doing things like substituting different weight yarn and need to figure out sizing. My knitting doesn’t. The most I do is count stitches. I am next best thing to innumerate, so calculations are something I avoid. Daisydins is intarsia - knitting blocks of colour. It’s easy, but you can have several balls of wool to keep out of the way. It only uses one at a time, easier ime than stranded knitting.

Have you seen @mani’s “Calling all knitters and other woolly things” thread? Maybe we should take this conversation there!

catloverfromwayback catloverfromwayback ,yea good idea to continue here instead of derailing the Smiley Thread👍

I don't knit bit am interested in learning-might be a good past time after my knee replacement-so what would I need to buy for starters? Or is crocheting easier ? Are you saying you have to count? How is that relaxing?What video should I watch?

Your sweater (Daisy paw) is gorgeous,I love it!

Oh and yes- a jumper ( here) is a dress......I gave him the benefit of the doubt though and figured he meant a jump suit( which is also a girlie thing)..... it was pretty funny ,we had alot of miscommunication in the beginning (an Aussie & a New York Italian,we had no idea what the other was saying half the time)rofl
Different people will have different ideas of which is easier to learn, but for me knitting is far easier. There are only two stitches to learn - knit and purl. Crochet seems to have many, and many names for them. It's also more expensive than knitting, because it uses more yarn.

Counting is just counting how many stitches you have on the needle, and if you're knitting something with a lot, you can just put stitch markers (say a safety pin, or a bit of scrap yarn) on the needle every ten or so to help keep track.

Like this scarf I started today - there are twelve stitches at each end and I put those little green markers in. The middle section is 36 stitches (not easy to see atm because the cable twist is on the previous row).

Oh and Daisy seems to approve of the yarn, which is obviously the most important thing.

IMG_2205.jpeg
IMG_2203.jpeg

Kwik

Animals are Blessings
Top Cat
Purraise
Different people will have different ideas of which is easier to learn, but for me knitting is far easier. There are only two stitches to learn - knit and purl. Crochet seems to have many, and many names for them. It's also more expensive than knitting, because it uses more yarn.

Counting is just counting how many stitches you have on the needle, and if you're knitting something with a lot, you can just put stitch markers (say a safety pin, or a bit of scrap yarn) on the needle every ten or so to help keep track.

Like this scarf I started today - there are twelve stitches at each end and I put those little green markers in. The middle section is 36 stitches (not easy to see atm because the cable twist is on the previous row).

Oh and Daisy seems to approve of the yarn, which is obviously the most important thing.

View attachment 473569View attachment 473570
Oh I see the little tie wraps,how smart! I feel like I'd be watching TV and keep losing count- but I think I see what your saying because then the next row you just follow what you already counted- is that sort of the idea?

Do you think a book or video can get me started or do you really need someone to show you- Wednesday I have a Dr appt and can stop at Michael's craft store,they've got oodles of yarn n stuff- what's the best sizes for someone to learn with?

catloverfromwayback

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You can start with whatever you fancy! I reckon they'll be able to advise you at Michael's, they must have lots of customers starting out. I'd say to have a play with different size needles to see what feels comfortable to hold - nobody's going to try teaching you on really thick or really thin ones. The yarn will want to be something suitable for the size needles.

How many stitches you have on any given row depends on the project. The one I showed is a scarf that stays the same number (60 stitches) all the way up, and when you're just learning you may do nice easy things like dishcloths to get started and used to making stitches. More complicated things like making jumpers or cardigans involve increasing and decreasing stitches to shape the sleeves and neck and so on, so the stitch count can vary a lot on different rows. (Btw there are things called row counters you can buy for very little - stick one on the end of your needle and just wind the number up when you finish each row, makes it easier to keep track).

This is a Knitter's Pride set - unfortunately when I try to visit the Michaels site I get an "access denied from this server" message so I don't know if the link will work.