Calling all knitters and other woolly things.

GranolaLouise

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I agree that knitting is a lot easier than crochet. But when one has to pull out stitches because of a mistake, crochet is easier to do that.
I get lost in seeing the loops in crochet because of bad eyesight and end up short. I love to do mindless all 1 stitch crochet blankets and throws for my cat chairs in color changing yarn, though, and it makes it look fancy LOL.
IMG_0573.JPG
Also on You Tube take a look at Sewrella's beginner crochet tutorials. She takes the viewer by the hand and shows step by step how to do a project. https://www.youtube.com/@Sewrella/featured
For English style Knitting, Marly Bird has a tutorial series where she teaches her Mom how to knit.

Kwik

Animals are Blessings
Top Cat
Purraise
You can start with whatever you fancy! I reckon they'll be able to advise you at Michael's, they must have lots of customers starting out. I'd say to have a play with different size needles to see what feels comfortable to hold - nobody's going to try teaching you on really thick or really thin ones. The yarn will want to be something suitable for the size needles.

How many stitches you have on any given row depends on the project. The one I showed is a scarf that stays the same number (60 stitches) all the way up, and when you're just learning you may do nice easy things like dishcloths to get started and used to making stitches. More complicated things like making jumpers or cardigans involve increasing and decreasing stitches to shape the sleeves and neck and so on, so the stitch count can vary a lot on different rows. (Btw there are things called row counters you can buy for very little - stick one on the end of your needle and just wind the number up when you finish each row, makes it easier to keep track).

This is a Knitter's Pride set - unfortunately when I try to visit the Michaels site I get an "access denied from this server" message so I don't know if the link will work.

[/URL]
It worked fine and I looked on Walmart ,they had it and I bought it!thank you ,sound like something I'd like better than counting -lol

So tomorrow I'd go to Michael's and find who can help me get some things to start and check out to see if they have " Knitting for dummies" or 101 books..... be nice to have something productive to do while recuperating ❤

Kwik

Animals are Blessings
Top Cat
Purraise
I agree that knitting is a lot easier than crochet. But when one has to pull out stitches because of a mistake, crochet is easier to do that.
I get lost in seeing the loops in crochet because of bad eyesight and end up short. I love to do mindless all 1 stitch crochet blankets and throws for my cat chairs in color changing yarn, though, and it makes it look fancy LOL.
View attachment 473574
Also on You Tube take a look at Sewrella's beginner crochet tutorials. She takes the viewer by the hand and shows step by step how to do a project. https://www.youtube.com/@Sewrella/featured
For English style Knitting, Marly Bird has a tutorial series where she teaches her Mom how to knit.
Oh wow- thank you ,what a nice surprise

I have some crochet needles that were my Mom's- so I'd like to try both really though I seem to like the look of knitting better- but that photo of the pastels you used is gorgeous,that's a mindless crotchet stitch? Wholey Moley its beautiful! Maybe the stuff I've seen people do are just not done well,the holes on the stitches look so big and sloppy- yours look neat and tight

My Mom made really beautiful knitted sweaters - she made me the most wonderful angora sweaters,mittens,cowl blouse sweaters .... she was quite good at it

GranolaLouise

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh wow- thank you ,what a nice surprise

I have some crochet needles that were my Mom's- so I'd like to try both really though I seem to like the look of knitting better- but that photo of the pastels you used is gorgeous,that's a mindless crotchet stitch? Wholey Moley its beautiful! Maybe the stuff I've seen people do are just not done well,the holes on the stitches look so big and sloppy- yours look neat and tight

My Mom made really beautiful knitted sweaters - she made me the most wonderful angora sweaters,mittens,cowl blouse sweaters .... she was quite good at it
I remember my Mom knitting for me as a child. She was working on a sweater with Mom duck and ducklings, but by the time she finished it I was too fat! LOL I cried because I wanted to wear it just the same. Someone else's little girl ended up with it..I don;t know who, but to this day I envy her.

iPappy

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Kwik Kwik I started with a US size 7 (4.5mm), wooden straight needles. I believe catloverfromwayback catloverfromwayback suggested this size for me. I found them super easy to work with, before I got a pair of circulars. They're easy on the hands and the wooden needles give you a better "feel" for the yarn IMO and tend to hold onto it easier and keep it from sliding off. (Which happened to me once and I realized how loud I can really yell, LOL.) The youtube channel "Sheep and Stitch" really helped me get the hang of things like the stitches, casting on, and casting off. The videos move slowly and show each step several times, normally and in slow motion which I found very helpful. :)

Kwik

Animals are Blessings
Top Cat
Purraise
Kwik Kwik I started with a US size 7 (4.5mm), wooden straight needles. I believe catloverfromwayback catloverfromwayback suggested this size for me. I found them super easy to work with, before I got a pair of circulars. They're easy on the hands and the wooden needles give you a better "feel" for the yarn IMO and tend to hold onto it easier and keep it from sliding off. (Which happened to me once and I realized how loud I can really yell, LOL.) The youtube channel "Sheep and Stitch" really helped me get the hang of things like the stitches, casting on, and casting off. The videos move slowly and show each step several times, normally and in slow motion which I found very helpful. :)
Thank you for this suggestion.... any suggestions what kind of yarn I want? For like little pot holder or something catloverfromwayback catloverfromwayback said I'd start off with,there's so many to choose from-I remember my Mother saying she didn't like working with something because it was a pain in the neck and others that were nice to work with- I have no idea why..... I wish I would've learned from her or at least still had something she made for me

catloverfromwayback

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Kwik Kwik I wonder if your Mum mentioned not working with cotton? It can be really harsh on the hands, because it doesn't have any give or stretch.

For first practice and just learning, it probably won't matter - no need to buy expensive yarn! I'd say get something smooth, because you'll be able to see what you're doing and see your stitches better, and when you want or need to pull it out (which everyone, professionals and teachers included, will always have to do) it's a lot easier to do than with hairy or fluffy yarn.

Kwik

Animals are Blessings
Top Cat
Purraise
Kwik Kwik I wonder if your Mum mentioned not working with cotton? It can be really harsh on the hands, because it doesn't have any give or stretch.

For first practice and just learning, it probably won't matter - no need to buy expensive yarn! I'd say get something smooth, because you'll be able to see what you're doing and see your stitches better, and when you want or need to pull it out (which everyone, professionals and teachers included, will always have to do) it's a lot easier to do than with hairy or fluffy yarn.
K - no fluffy,hairy and not cotton..... Thank you ,I really appreciate all these little tips and suggestions - my knitter's pride is supposed to be here tomorrow.....how much money do I need to bring to Michaels later ? Roughly

Kwik

Animals are Blessings
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh my goodness- I think I have to find a yarn shop because no one works at Michael's! I was literally yelling " hello,does anyone work here" ! The yarn is all the way at the far end of the store in a tiny corner( slim pickens).....

Well,good thing iPappy iPappy told me what needles to buy and catloverfromwayback catloverfromwayback told me what yarn not to buy,lol

I got bamboo #7 needles and an inexpensive acrylic yarn only I they had nothing with #7 on it so it says #8,I went back to the needles and looked for #8 but that row was empty- I figure " close enough"

Now to watch some tutorials posted by GranolaLouise GranolaLouise

Thanks girls-Ill be back❤

GranolaLouise

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I heard Joann's fabric was going out of business! Around here(Boston) that used to be considered greater than Michaels because they sold fabric as well as a great assortment of yarn! Anyone heard?

catloverfromwayback

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Michaels sounds like some Spotlight and Lincraft stores I've visited, getting staff to help is an art in itself! At least you have something to practice with now. Good luck!

iPappy

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I heard Joann's fabric was going out of business! Around here(Boston) that used to be considered greater than Michaels because they sold fabric as well as a great assortment of yarn! Anyone heard?
I checked our locals, and I didn't see anything about ours going out of business. I hope it's not, our Jo Ann store is really nice.

Kwik

Animals are Blessings
Top Cat
Purraise
I heard Joann's fabric was so going out of business! Around here(Boston) that used to be considered greater than Michaels because they sold fabric as well as a great assortment of yarn! Anyone heard?
In Pompano ,very near my house ,there is a Joanns.....so now I know where to try next

Michael's looked like a ghost town- there was one customer that I asked which yarn goes with what needles ( or does it matter)- she showed me where to look on the yarn for the suggested # but knew nothing about knitting because she crotcheys...... if she was not there I'd not have known that- lol

The cashier said " do you want me to page someone"? It took every bit of me to get to the back of the giant store to get to aisle 19 with the walker,the knee braces and I was not going back- they don't have motor carts either.....

It was a wonderful art supply center before Michaels,being an artist I walked back to the front past the art supplies( not impressed) The front of the store was packed with craft supplies for Easter things ,pillows,,doormats and tons of artificial flowers( looked like a bomb went off in there,a mess)

GranolaLouise

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
In Pompano ,very near my house ,there is a Joanns.....so now I know where to try next

Michael's looked like a ghost town- there was one customer that I asked which yarn goes with what needles ( or does it matter)- she showed me where to look on the yarn for the suggested # but knew nothing about knitting because she crotcheys...... if she was not there I'd not have known that- lol

The cashier said " do you want me to page someone"? It took every bit of me to get to the back of the giant store to get to aisle 19 with the walker,the knee braces and I was not going back- they don't have motor carts either.....

It was a wonderful art supply center before Michaels,being an artist I walked back to the front past the art supplies( not impressed) The front of the store was packed with craft supplies for Easter things ,pillows,,doormats and tons of artificial flowers( looked like a bomb went off in there,a mess)
Even better,I would suggest looking up a local yarn shop where they can offer 1 on 1 help in choosing the right tools,fiber and offer individualized live instruction. A store like ' sheep thrills ' would attract me if I were close to it's location down there.

Last edited:

Kwik

Animals are Blessings
Top Cat
Purraise
Even better,I would suggest looking up a local yarn shop where they can offer 1 on 1 help in choosing the right tools,fiber and offer individualized live instruction. A store like ' sheep thrills ' would attract me if I were close to it's location down there.
Oh wow,didn't know anywhere would offer that- I'll make a few calls ,I saw a few local shops.... And one is called " Sheep thrills" lol ( I believe it's very close) thank you for that ,will do

Kwik

Animals are Blessings
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh boy,it's no where near here (& they advertise Pompano-sheesh) ..... I can go the other direction though too,Deerfield or Boca- I'm in the middle

I'm just looking on the JoAnns website,lots of videos and in the yellow pages it says " classes " -I'll let my fingers do the walking and call around,it would be nice to attend an actual class before I go in the hospital.... my neighbor knits,msybe she'll show me how to get started and Id not have to go galavanting around town

I just watched a Longtail beginners stitch (to cast on I guess -she talks too much) and learning it but makes no sense to me really - do I just keep doing this until there's no more room on the stick?

Attachments

Last edited:

GranolaLouise

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh boy,it's no where near here (& they advertise Pompano-sheesh) ..... I can go the other direction though too,Deerfield or Boca- I'm in the middle

I'm just looking on the JoAnns website,lots of videos and in the yellow pages it says " classes " -I'll let my fingers do the walking and call around,it would be nice to attend an actual class before I go in the hospital.... my neighbor knits,msybe she'll show me how to get started and Id not have to go galavanting around town

I just watched a Longtail beginners stitch (to cast on I guess -she talks too much) and learning it but makes no sense to me really - do I just keep doing this until there's no more room on the stick?
Your Long Tail (LT) cast on (CO) is so nice and neat. Make sure it is not too tight. You CO what your pattern directs and then snip off the tail that is not attached to the ball, leaving about 6 inches hanging.
OK..if you want little talking and slow motion, here is one of my favorite gals..Stacy Perry! You can't miss with these.
v e r y p i n k . c o m - knitting patterns and video tutorials - this is one of the many ways..there are several

ok..I don;t want to hijack the thread, but I will add one more thing.. On You Tube you can slow down videos. I am a visual learner and need to do that often.
Look for the wheel at the bottom of the video. click and choose your playback speed.

Kwik

Animals are Blessings
Top Cat
Purraise
Thank you so much - that oughta keep me busy awhile....
Wondering how mani mani beautiful sweater ( jumper) turned out that inspired her to start this thread( I'm only on like page 5 so far) gee y'all are very good at it

Sorry if I contributed to a highjacking,I got excited and appreciate everyone's help❤

GranolaLouise

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thank you so much - that oughta keep me busy awhile....
Wondering how mani mani beautiful sweater ( jumper) turned out that inspired her to start this thread( I'm only on like page 5 so far) gee y'all are very good at it

Sorry if I contributed to a highjacking,I got excited and appreciate everyone's help❤
No, not you at all.

Kwik

Animals are Blessings
Top Cat
Purraise
No, not you at all.
May I ask an important question?Early on someone mentioned yarn fibers ingested by cats - Ive already had to stick the yarn in the draw because Max thinks it's for him

I bought an acrylic and already I can tell it's cheap and I don't like it because it splits and a little strand gets frayed ,the needle grabs it ,it gets stuck and I must unsnag it.Having said all that I must consider my kitties licking the yarn and its fibers
- hmmm

My question is what is the safest yarn to use for cats- Id like to graduate to making things for the cats specifically - and what is a yarn that doesn't lose fibers and doesn't split and fray, may as well start out right,right?