Bought a cat tree, Angel not interested.

kordron

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I laughed when you said you showed your cat how to use the scratching post. I did same thing with Lily's cat house down on my knees scraping my nails along the posts and saying "See, here like this. This is where you do it" and of course no reaction.

What we do for our cats is always a good laugh.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

angels mommy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

I laughed when you said you showed your cat how to use the scratching post. I did same thing with Lily's cat house down on my knees scraping my nails along the posts and saying "See, here like this. This is where you do it" and of course no reaction.

YUP! Silly mommy's!  What we do for them indeed! 

If it's any consolation, my $98 cat tree was a house fixture for 6 weeks before Jed tried to use it. And then 3 more weeks of being a fixture when I had to move it away from the window to make space for a desk.
I may have made a mistake that didn't help tonight. I was holding Angel, & decided to put him up on the top shelf of the tree. He jumped off & onto the window sill, & the tree wobbled some. 

He's such a big boy, maybe he is to big & heavy for it. It probably scared the crap out of him & he may never warm up to it now! 

fhicat

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

I may have made a mistake that didn't help tonight. I was holding Angel, & decided to put him up on the top shelf of the tree. He jumped off & onto the window sill, & the tree wobbled some. 

He's such a big boy, maybe he is to big & heavy for it. It probably scared the crap out of him & he may never warm up to it now! 
Hm, I wouldn't be so quick to despair yet. Jed's 15 lbs, and he's a large cat. He likes to jump from the floor to the second top (why he wouldn't just use the "stair" like every normal cat is beyond me). Everytime he does up there, the thing wobbles like crazy. It doesn't bother him - and we're talking about a skittish cat who is terrified of boxes and runs away if I accidentally tap the carrier's door.

Now if the tree had fallen instead on Angel...................................

guaposmom

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
@ Sea Turtle Swims, I tried to feed him on the tree, but he wasn't having it.  I even put some treats up there yesterday, & they are still there.

@Guaposmom,  We are on the 2nd floor, so to far up for anything to get to him, & yes, I always have the screen pulled down if the window is up. (Don't want any birds/bugs in here, although Angel would  

love it! LOL!)
                              He loves to smell the fresh air.  When not, I have the storm window down. I just started doing that last year, so I could put the window w/ all the pains (panes?) in it up out of the way, so
                              Angel had room to hop up there.  Plus, it's a nicer view to look out a single pane of glass, & easier to clean than all those separate panes!  It just looks better, & gives him room to sit                                   on the sill.     Oh, & he doesn't lean on the screen, never has, He just perches up there & looks around outside.                                                                                                                 

I think it is just going to take some more time. Even though I have a sensitive nose, I don't smell it anymore, but he may.   It's supposed to be nice out Friday & Saturday, so  the window will be open & it can air out more.                       
Oh good I'm a bit of a worry wort about the window thing it drives my husband nuts.haha I'm sure he'll come around the smell will play a big part in it too like you said even though you can't smell anything he probably still does.Cats have an amazing sense of smell. Good luck keep us posted.

angels mommy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks Cory!  LOL!  Angel weighs 15 lbs too!  Guess what, Good news!  While he still hasn't gotten up on it yet, last night when I was in the kitchen, I caught him scratching on the lower post!!  
 Yeeeey!

Of course I was all, "good boy, that's right, good boy!" 
 SO, not bad sense Thursday was only one week sense I bought it.   "There's hope!"  

@Guaposmom, Thanks!  

guaposmom

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thats great!He'll be using the cat tree before you know it. Baby steps[emoji]128008[/emoji]

fhicat

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

Thanks Cory!  LOL!  Angel weighs 15 lbs too!  Guess what, Good news!  While he still hasn't gotten up on it yet, last night when I was in the kitchen, I caught him scratching on the lower post!!  
 Yeeeey!
More progress than Jed ever had! He only uses the one post I bought for him. I really should buy him another one, though he's not much of a scratcher. Everytime he scratches, I imagine this going on in his mind:

"I should scratch."

*scratches in a disinterested way*

"Meh, whatever. Why am I doing this again?"

*walks off*

kordron

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Lily sleeps in the house I got her, she has yet to use the scratching posts. Instead my chair gets the abuse.

fhicat

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I always envy all your people with actual houses and really nice decorations. :(

angels mommy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

I always envy all your people with actual houses and really nice decorations. :(
Well, I only can afford to rent, & am in an old house that is an upstairs (me) & a downstairs apartment.  I do a lot of my own stuff like painting, etc.. to improve this place. I have been here for 15 years!

Lets just say it's very affordable, so unless I am able to buy one day, I will stay right here!  

I have accumulated a lot of my things over the years & sometimes for free! The entertainment center I have was given to me by a friend when she got a new one. My tall bookcase I have in the corner was  old & unfinished & used in a back room at the co-op I used to work at. When they got new shelving, It was up for the taking, so I did!  I bought some stain for it, & my dad just gave it a good sanding, & put on the stain for me.

When a friend moved away, I got an extra dresser for $30.00 from her.  I've just accumulated things over the years. 

Are you in an apartment, or dorm?  

fhicat

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Apartment. I *could* decorate it if I'm half as creative, but there always doesn't seem to have enough space. It's much better now that I found a red couch on clearance, and paired it with red rug. Previously my house had only 3 colors: Brown, beige and black.

The carpet is brown.

My table is brown.

The walls are beige.

The computers and accessories are all black.

The blinds are beige.

My bookshelf is beige.

My recliner is brown.

My bed is brown. My mattress is beige.

My nightstand is black.

The cat tree is beige.

Even my cat is brown.

Last edited:

angels mommy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Apartment. I *could* decorate it if I'm half as creative, but there always doesn't seem to have enough space. It's much better now that I found a red couch on clearance, and paired it with red rug. Previously my house had only 3 colors: Brown, beige and black.

The carpet is brown.

My table is brown.

The walls are beige.

The blinds are beige.

My bookshelf is beige.

My recliner is brown.

My nightstand is black.

The cat tree is beige.

Even my cat is brown.
LOL!  well, at least they are all neutrals so any color you added would work.   

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
Kelly, that's wonderful! Hang in there.....I'm sure he'll come around. And you don't know what the boy is doing when you're at work. He could be hopping on and off to his heart's content! He definitely likes the scratching post. Give him some time.

The carpet is brown.

My table is brown.

The walls are beige.

The blinds are beige.

My bookshelf is beige.

My recliner is brown.

My nightstand is black.

The cat tree is beige.

Even my cat is brown.
Cory, look at it this way......any kitty puke Jed gives you will match right in with your colors!
 (Sorry, couldn't resist.)

sneakymom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I agree, pretty kitty.  Samwise is an orange tabby too.  He's all orange though, no white on him at all

Cheryl

AbbysMom

At Abby's beck and call
Staff Member
Purraise

The carpet is brown.
My table is brown.
The walls are beige.
The blinds are beige.
My bookshelf is beige.
My recliner is brown.
My nightstand is black.
The cat tree is beige.

Even my cat is brown.
:flail: :flail: :flail: Seriously though, when I was in college I lived with my parents so at least you have your own place. :nod:

Look at Angel!!!! :clap: That's great! :clap:

cat nap

stand with ukraine
Top Cat
Purraise
Yay, what a guy.  How many days was that?  Where is the photos of him and that outside bird friend of his?

Go Angel!  Winchester's right, he probably uses it when you're not there...lol.

angels mommy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Aww, Thanks you guys!!  "That's my boy!"  

@catnap, The picture of the bird is on the "Is it just me?" Thread, where we're all talking about how tired we are. 

stewball

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I take their front paws and show them t scratching that.
Whisky ignored yhr tree until blighty started to use it. Now hry does.