Bought a cat tree, Angel not interested.

angels mommy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
So I finally bought Angel a cat tree I had been looking at at Walmart for 50.00.  I just bought it a few days ago, but so far he is not interested.

I put it by a window he sits in, rubbed cat nip on it, even put some Feliway on my hands & rubbed some on it, put some of his mice on it,..........Nothing!

I know sometimes it takes cats time to get interested in things, but I hope he does. I even "showed" him how to scratch on it, LOL, so he 

would understand it's for him. I also wonder if the sisal, or rope post are too rough (little pieces sticking out maybe feel sharp??) on his paws,

now that he has been indoors for 3 years this August.

Opinions?

Here it is,

happybird

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
He probably needs some time to get used to it. The new carpeting and glue may smell funny to him. I have noticed my cats ignore all new toys and beds for a while. The dogs do it with new bones, too. It is almost like in order for the new object to be accepted, it needs to hang out in the house until it starts to smell like the house. :)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

angels mommy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
True. It did have a very strong smell when I took it out of the box.  Fortunately it was really nice here yesterday, so I was able to open the windows. Hopefully that helped a lot. There was quite a breeze coming in that front window. I had to tie the drape back, it kept sailing high! 

I'm going to mark on the calender when I bought it & see just how long it takes him. I did put him up there w/ some treats, but he jumped back down. 

"We'll see!" (I did just buy it Thursday).

Thanks!

betsygee

Just what part of meow don't you understand.
Staff Member
Purraise
I got my new cat tree a month ago and they're just now starting to use it regularly.  I had also sprayed catnip on it and put a favorite blankie on it but I think the new carpet, wood, etc. just smelled strange to them and it's taking time to wear off.  But now I've got a couple of cats using it and once their scent is on it, I'm sure the others will follow.

cat nap

stand with ukraine
Top Cat
Purraise
He probably needs some time to get used to it. The new carpeting and glue may smell funny to him. I have noticed my cats ignore all new toys and beds for a while. The dogs do it with new bones, too. It is almost like in order for the new object to be accepted, it needs to hang out in the house until it starts to smell like the house.
 @happybird   I didn't even think of how the toys, fabrics, cardboard, wood, would smell to the animals. They usually like their blankets and beds clean, laundry- like.

Now it makes sense, why my cats also ignored new stuff, and then just when I thought I'd move the items to another room, I would find one of them using it. But after some time, they moved onto a new cat bed.  Like musical chairs.

peaches08

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
How about putting something you've worn on it?  A nightshirt, etc.?

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
That's a nice tree. This is just my opinion, but it appears that the tree is not directly in front of the window, more like off to the side. And the curtains are right there, too. I wonder if you'd place it right in front of the window, so that Angel has to go to the tree to get into the window if that might now help him get used to the tree? The reason I'm saying this is because when Muffin lived with Mom, we got her a small cat tree, nothing fancy. And she didn't use it. It wasn't until Mom put the tree right in front of her favorite window that she realized she could perch on the tree and look out the window that way, that she started to use it. And once she did, then it was like, "Hmmm, what took me so long? This is nice!"

Give him a bit of time and I think he'll start to use it. It's a nice tree.

(And please, please don't take this the wrong way, but I think I'd put those blinds cords up where you know he can't reach them. That would scare me half to death! Sorry!
)

cat nap

stand with ukraine
Top Cat
Purraise
Give him a bit of time and I think he'll start to use it. It's a nice tree.

(And please, please don't take this the wrong way, but I think I'd put those blinds cords up where you know he can't reach them. That would scare me half to death! Sorry!
)
@Winchester   Then maybe my suggestion of putting up more hanging cat toys might be dangerous as well?

Is it because the "loops" from blind's cords can get tangled around kid's and cat's necks?

Or is it that they chew on them?

I better make sure my cords are not hanging down, either.  thank you.

Winchester

Veteran
Purraise

@Winchester   Then maybe my suggestion of putting up more hanging cat toys might be dangerous as well?

Is it because the "loops" from blind's cords can get tangled around kid's and cat's necks?

It's because of the loops getting around the cat's neck. I have read stories about things like that happening. I'm not saying it would happen. But honestly, you just never know what those cats are going to do. You're welcome....and thanks for not taking it the wrong way.

Last edited:

cat nap

stand with ukraine
Top Cat
Purraise

It's because of the loops getting around the cat's neck. I have read stories about things like that happening. I'm not saying it would happen. But honestly, you just never know what those cats are going to do. You're welcome....and thanks for not taking it the wrong way.
Oh, sorry, @Winchester....this was cat nap asking,  and @Angels mommy   has not posted yet (it is her thread).

I do not think she will take it any "wrong way" either, because ALL us cat moms, just want to be "more safe than sorry".   I have not seen my cat touch these type of cords yet, but no harm, in hanging them out of reach.  Since mine, do climb on the backs of couches and stuff. I appreciate your answer.

I apologize @Angels mommy  if I did that hi-jack  thread again.

Winchester

Veteran
Purraise
Kelly, thank you for understanding. I didn't want to cause a problem, but when I see something, I usually have to open my mouth and I've heard so many stories of cats getting caught in the weirdest ways! I know you're a good Mom to that boy.

Hang in there; Angel will figure out that a cat tree is good thing to hang out on. It's just going to take him a while.

Years ago, I bought the cats this toy. It's just a cylinder with a spring on top and on top of the spring is a tufted feather type toy that the cat can bat around. Well, no cat ever bothered with it. Ever. Rick started calling it "Pam's Folly" because I buy stuff for the cats thinking they're going to love it and they never do. When Tabby came into the house. she had a field day with Pam's Folly. She was constantly playing with it, batting it back and forth, and chewing on the toy. The first time we saw her playing with it, I looked at Rick and said, "Vindicated! Yes!" and did the fist pump. And it only took about 8 years. 

angels mommy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
 No Problem at all Pam. I understand. I am the same way. If it helps one person or kitty it's worth it!  

seaturtleswims

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I had to tie up my blind cords as well when I got my cat tree. Oscar loves to play with them- but I don't like it when I'm not home! I made my cat tree from scrap lumber, leftover carpet squares and thick twine from the hardware store and I was pretty disappointed when he wouldn't pay it any attention. I started feeding him from the top shelf -it freed up the top of my dryer!- and he took to it like glue when he realized it was the new feeding spot. Maybe that will help him take a liking to it more quickly? He would never really jump on the layers or scratch on the twine wrapped structures until he started eating off it every day and now he hangs out on it all the time! Just a thought if you're trying to speed up the process. 

guaposmom

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hello,
When I brought my tree home for my cat Guapo I tried everything to get him to take an interest and nothing worked. Then one day I had an idea I thought might work.
Both of my cats are strictly indoor cats but my Guapo is constantly looking for ways to get outdoors. We are all very aware of this and he wears a bell so we can hear him coming but it never fails as soon as a door is opened he appears like a little ninja plotting his escape. I decided I would appeal to his overwhelming need for escape and opened the window just a crack in front of the cat tree.that was all she wrote he came running and hopped up on the tree like a boss and it is his favorite spot in the whole house.
Just a few safety tips: never fully open the window even if it is screened. It could leave your cat vulnerable to any predator if it is on ground level and also depending on what level of your home the cat tree is on I would worry that a popped screen could result in a nasty fall or escape and possible loss your ffur baby.

sneakymom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Dh bought a cat tree for our 2 cats.  Furniture was getting shredded and something had to be done. 

Holly got on it a couple of times, and then wasn't interested.  Sam though is showing lots of interest.  He'll go to the top area and sleep in it.  I've even caught him scratching the carpet on the tree.  We praise him and say "Good kitty" I don't know if that helps or not.  And when we catch him clawing the furniture we remove him from whatever he's scratching and bring him over to the tree.  Is that a good thing to do?  Is he learning that way?

Though maybe Holly will come around.  We had this cat bed we bought for another kitty, and Holly avoided it for the longest time.  Even after the cat we bought it from passed away.  But over the last few months she's realized it's a very warm and comfy place to lay and she's been in it- a lot.  Like almost every single night. 

Cheryl

AbbysMom

At Abby's beck and call
Staff Member
Purraise
Any luck yet? It took Abby a little while to warm up to her tree. :nod: She seems to use it more in the summer when the windows are open.

angels mommy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
@ Sea Turtle Swims, I tried to feed him on the tree, but he wasn't having it.  I even put some treats up there yesterday, & they are still there.

@Guaposmom,  We are on the 2nd floor, so to far up for anything to get to him, & yes, I always have the screen pulled down if the window is up. (Don't want any birds/bugs in here, although Angel would  

love it! LOL!)

He loves to smell the fresh air.  When not, I have the storm window down. I just started doing that last year, so I could put the window w/ all the pains (panes?) in it up out of the way, so

Angel had room to hop up there.  Plus, it's a nicer view to look out a single pane of glass, & easier to clean than all those separate panes!  It just looks better, & gives him room to sit                                   on the sill.     Oh, & he doesn't lean on the screen, never has, He just perches up there & looks around outside.                                                                                                                 

I think it is just going to take some more time. Even though I have a sensitive nose, I don't smell it anymore, but he may.   It's supposed to be nice out Friday & Saturday, so  the window will be open & it can air out more.                       

Last edited:

fhicat

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
If it's any consolation, my $98 cat tree was a house fixture for 6 weeks before Jed tried to use it. And then 3 more weeks of being a fixture when I had to move it away from the window to make space for a desk.

cat nap

stand with ukraine
Top Cat
Purraise

If it's any consolation, my $98 cat tree was a house fixture for 6 weeks before Jed tried to use it. And then 3 more weeks of being a fixture when I had to move it away from the window to make space for a desk.
oooohhh,   does Jed atleast use the desk as a lookout now??  or did he move on over to the new cat tree location??