Artie and his Issues

Status
Not open for further replies.

dustydiamond1

Minion to Gypsy since October 2016
Top Cat
Purraise
I completely understand the bond you all talk about. I'm also very lucky for I have been blessed with several soul mate animals. It's completely devastating to lose them, but sometimes they get little comforting visits in dreams, sometimes they help send you another little soulmate animal just when you both need each other most, and you always learn important life lessons and are a better and more compassionate person for having your heart, soul and life touched by a special animal.
I don't believe there's any one and only soul mate animal for anyone, because animals are wise and generous and don't want others to suffer. When they can't be with us anymore, they're at the Rainbow Bridge or Heaven and want us to find comfort and love and continue to love and be loved by animals, not to replace but to learn more and have more joy and laughter and unconditional love.
:hearthrob::clap::grouphug: :rbheart: :salam::clap2: :redheartpump:

inkysmom

Inky's legacy - Belly rubs CAN tame feral cats!
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I wasn't trying to say I think anything bad is going to happen to Artie. I still have my beautiful soul mate horse that I've had for 21 years, she's ancient now and every minute I have with her is a miracle and blessing. My two remaining cats are little soulmates and both are very attached to me and literally cling to me and follow me everywhere and are always there for me. My current dog and I are working on it.
My past soulmate animals I will always miss and still feel in my heart, and dream of, and always will be irreplaceable. They sent me other animals to love and heal, and heal me, and learn from, so I wouldn't be alone and grieve them forever.
Just like they needed to be with my mom in heaven to keep her company and drive her crazy lol for a while.
Life is a circle, but there are so many needy abandoned and suffering animals in this world, and so many heartless cruel selfish people who don't care or see each being's value, that it falls to the angels among us to open our hearts as much as we can.
Each animal I've ever had, and I've had a lot, has taught me something valuable and unique. And each cat and dog was an unwanted stray on the street or in the shelter that was just waiting for a loving home and the chance to learn to trust again. Then came all the amazing unconditional love, even with medications, nail cutting, vet visits, weak moments, my busy changing schedules, being tired and ignoring them at times, having to deal with and get along with other pets, my sometimes losing my temper and yelling at them all to just behave, etc.

But worth every second, and tons of love, comfort and laughter for many years.
It's why I keep doing it and am always broke with vet bills. I could never have a true happy life without animals in it. Even knowing how devastating it is when a special soul mate gets a bad diagnosis, or does die. I've been through nursing chronically severely or terminally ill pets so many times and for so many years I can't even count. Not to mention going through my mom's three year battle with endstage cancer before she died. Just off the top of my head I can remember ten or eleven animals I've lost who all needed tough decisions and special daily care their last days, weeks, months, years, etc. It's draining but I would do it all again and keep taking in more. And get through the agonizing goodbyes at the end.
There's usually at least a couple more pets that need me and may be grieving too. And there's always hope with new beginnings, and the knowledge that you're giving your loved ones the absolute best life you possibly can. It's an amazing eternal bond to feel you and your pet can really truly communicate.
I feel like my horse and I can read each other's mind and body language so clearly it's like she talks to me out loud. My last dog and I had that bond too, we didn't even need words. My beloved Inky could just look at a freshly filled water bowl or food bowl those last days in the hospital and I knew they weren't right and he was telling me what food he wanted me to specifically handfeed him and that the water wasn't cold enough. We had that connection long before those days more and more the tamer he got. I had that with my first horse and first cats who died many years ago too. I realize that I sound insane but it's a powerful connection to have and some of those animals would only eat from me. My horse's vets say I saved her and she would have died last August except for my determination, hours of daily care and devotion helping her get her will to live back as she'd given up. My current cat Ruby won't let any human near him but me, he hides and shakes in fear.

You've been loving Artie for years and caring for him and he's got that same bond with you. This whole year has already been a miracle. Trust that, listen to the vet but listen to Artie, not with fear but with an open heart. Yes you have to make him take meds, I force Ruby and my horse and dog to take meds all the time, and did before for previous animals too. But listen to how he's feeling, watch that he's playing and cuddling with you and not isolating too much. Yes cats are independent and like alone time and he's going to hide from the noise. Keep doing what you're doing.

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I wasn't trying to say I think anything bad is going to happen to Artie. I still have my beautiful soul mate horse that I've had for 21 years, she's ancient now and every minute I have with her is a miracle and blessing. My two remaining cats are little soulmates and both are very attached to me and literally cling to me and follow me everywhere and are always there for me. My current dog and I are working on it.
My past soulmate animals I will always miss and still feel in my heart, and dream of, and always will be irreplaceable. They sent me other animals to love and heal, and heal me, and learn from, so I wouldn't be alone and grieve them forever.
Just like they needed to be with my mom in heaven to keep her company and drive her crazy lol for a while.
Life is a circle, but there are so many needy abandoned and suffering animals in this world, and so many heartless cruel selfish people who don't care or see each being's value, that it falls to the angels among us to open our hearts as much as we can.
Each animal I've ever had, and I've had a lot, has taught me something valuable and unique. And each cat and dog was an unwanted stray on the street or in the shelter that was just waiting for a loving home and the chance to learn to trust again. Then came all the amazing unconditional love, even with medications, nail cutting, vet visits, weak moments, my busy changing schedules, being tired and ignoring them at times, having to deal with and get along with other pets, my sometimes losing my temper and yelling at them all to just behave, etc.

But worth every second, and tons of love, comfort and laughter for many years.
It's why I keep doing it and am always broke with vet bills. I could never have a true happy life without animals in it. Even knowing how devastating it is when a special soul mate gets a bad diagnosis, or does die. I've been through nursing chronically severely or terminally ill pets so many times and for so many years I can't even count. Not to mention going through my mom's three year battle with endstage cancer before she died. Just off the top of my head I can remember ten or eleven animals I've lost who all needed tough decisions and special daily care their last days, weeks, months, years, etc. It's draining but I would do it all again and keep taking in more. And get through the agonizing goodbyes at the end.
There's usually at least a couple more pets that need me and may be grieving too. And there's always hope with new beginnings, and the knowledge that you're giving your loved ones the absolute best life you possibly can. It's an amazing eternal bond to feel you and your pet can really truly communicate.
I feel like my horse and I can read each other's mind and body language so clearly it's like she talks to me out loud. My last dog and I had that bond too, we didn't even need words. My beloved Inky could just look at a freshly filled water bowl or food bowl those last days in the hospital and I knew they weren't right and he was telling me what food he wanted me to specifically handfeed him and that the water wasn't cold enough. We had that connection long before those days more and more the tamer he got. I had that with my first horse and first cats who died many years ago too. I realize that I sound insane but it's a powerful connection to have and some of those animals would only eat from me. My horse's vets say I saved her and she would have died last August except for my determination, hours of daily care and devotion helping her get her will to live back as she'd given up. My current cat Ruby won't let any human near him but me, he hides and shakes in fear.

You've been loving Artie for years and caring for him and he's got that same bond with you. This whole year has already been a miracle. Trust that, listen to the vet but listen to Artie, not with fear but with an open heart. Yes you have to make him take meds, I force Ruby and my horse and dog to take meds all the time, and did before for previous animals too. But listen to how he's feeling, watch that he's playing and cuddling with you and not isolating too much. Yes cats are independent and like alone time and he's going to hide from the noise. Keep doing what you're doing.
inkysmom inkysmom I so agree, especially on the issue of "not replacing" and continuing to open one's heart and home to those in need! Several times I KNOW that one of my beloveds who has just passed guides me to another sweet cat who is in need of the loving, permanent home I provided for THEM and can provide for another. It has always been a great blessing for hurting hearts as well as for the newly adopted beloved, who finds a forever home with our family. Cats have such unconditionally loyal and loving hearts and they certainly want all of their kind to be able to share that love with humans and other cats.

People don't (normally) feel that when one of their (human) family passes, they can never love again. And loving again is never "replacing".

As for Artie and Cindy, I'm wishing them a very good SUNday!:vibes::heartshape::redcat:

artiemom

Artie, my Angel; a part of my heart
Top Cat
Purraise
Artie Update...
Artie is ok...
He has had a fairly good week-end.. eating, pooping, sleeping, squishing me at night.

I did weigh him this morning, finding that he lost a couple ounces.. that is a lot for him..

I got him orem treats... NVet said he can have them..
I got some Purina fur ball treats--chicken, of course :argh: which he loves. I also picked up a bag of Meow Mix, of course, chicken, beef and fish... He is gobbling them down.
I only give him 3 fur ball treats and about 6 other treats.. I do not want ruin his appetite.

I am/was very surprised to hear that NVet okayed the treats!! Kind of makes me wondering.. I am kind of thinking, we are just at a stage that Artie can eat anything he wants.. kind of at hospice care.. and we are just dealing with putting out the fires..

Not focusing on that thought.. but it does make sense. :petcat:

I have not been sleeping well at all, for the past week. This morning, I had to get up early for Mass. I ended up lying down on top of my bed, covered with Artie's throw, so I could nap a bit.. while it was quiet in here.

Sure enough, Artie found me!!! He was curled up on his quilt, but somehow he found me.
He curled, right up against me, the entire time... sweet boy :lovecat2:

When I came out, he came out, and went back to his quilt/tent.. He is really showing me a lot of cuddling.. not so much playing, but the cuddling is really extreme..

At night, I am trying something new.. I never, ever, refer to myself as "MaMa".. but, for some reason I tried it this week..

I was on the recliner, covered in the throw, Artie had just gone to nibble a bit of food, came over, was sitting up on the coach, eyeing me and eyeing his quilt. He kept looking back and forth.. I said, " Come on, Come here; Come to Mama"... Darn Cat, came over!!!

How does he know that word?? I never use it.. In the past I have said, "Come over, come over here, come to Cindy"... and he would ignore me..

What the heck is up with him.. and he is not doing his "thing" on my lap.. he will knead just a bit, then stretch out... stay for a while, then leave..

Sometimes, I am successful in calling him back.. weird..

Very clingy..

He surprised me with poops this morning!! I was making my coffee, he came over, too early for his food--just had his med.. an hour later, I looked in his box.. perfect poop!!!
Weird cat..:catrub:

That's about it...

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Artie Update...
Artie is ok...
He has had a fairly good week-end.. eating, pooping, sleeping, squishing me at night.

I did weigh him this morning, finding that he lost a couple ounces.. that is a lot for him..

I got some Purina fur ball treats--chicken, of course :argh: which he loves. I also picked up a bag of Meow Mix, of course, chicken, beef and fish... He is gobbling them down.
I only give him 3 fur ball treats and about 6 other treats.. I do not want ruin his appetite.

I am/was very surprised to hear that NVet okayed the treats!! Kind of makes me wondering.. I am kind of thinking, we are just at a stage that Artie can eat anything he wants.. kind of at hospice care.. and we are just dealing with putting out the fires..

I have not been sleeping well at all, for the past week. This morning, I had to get up early for Mass. I ended up lying down on top of my bed, covered with Artie's throw, so I could nap a bit.. while it was quiet in here.

Sure enough, Artie found me!!! He was curled up on his quilt, but somehow he found me.

When I came out, he came out, and went back to his quilt/tent.. He is really showing me a lot of cuddling.. not so much playing, but the cuddling is really extreme..

At night, I am trying something new.. I never, ever, refer to myself as "MaMa".. but, for some reason I tried it this week..

I was on the recliner, covered in the throw, Artie had just gone to nibble a bit of food, came over, was sitting up on the coach, eyeing me and eyeing his quilt. He kept looking back and forth.. I said, " Come on, Come here; Come to Mama"... Darn Cat, came over!!!

How does he know that word?? I never use it.. In the past I have said, "Come over, come over here, come to Cindy"... and he would ignore me..

What the heck is up with him.. and he is not doing his "thing" on my lap.. he will knead just a bit, then stretch out... stay for a while, then leave..

Very clingy..

He surprised me with poops this morning!! I was making my coffee, he came over, too early for his food--just had his med.. an hour later, I looked in his box.. perfect poop!!!

That's about it...
Hey, as they say, "If it ain't broke, don't fix it!" Right? :yess::redcat:

dustydiamond1

Top Cat
Purraise
Artie Update...
Artie is ok...

Very clingy..

That's about it...
:winkcat: :hugs: :heartshape::cheerleader::vibes::vibes::vibes::lovecat2: :poop::catlove:

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
Weird cat..:catrub:That's about it...
That's what we've been waiting to hear - perfect poop! Only a cat aficionado would understand. :wink:

LisaT.

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi ArtiesMom! I've been reading your thread and just caught up with the present now. Your dedication to Arty and the amazing bond you two have is just awesome. Sending prayers for you to keep up your strength and for Artie to continue to eat and poop! I have so much respect for you. Consider me as another member of Artie's Army!! :)

Kitten70

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
You have to love a special 'pet' in order to understand all of this..
These are BEAUTIFUL words, I do understand. I am one of those people who quietly read some of these posts and I have been following Artie, he is such a handsome cat. Those words touched my heart, I just wanted to highlight them.
Sending good thoughts for you and Artie.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise

I think that they know it somewhere in their furry little souls. And since cats naturally only meow as mamas or babies to their mamas, it seems as if they acknowledge that sort of a relationship with us. THAT said, if you asked Artie, for instance, who was the parent and who was the kitten, his answer would be, "That depends on what's going on. During the day, when I want feeding and cuddling and brushing and playing with, or I need my medicine, she's the Mama. But in the Deep Darks of the night, when someone must guard against danger, I'm the Daddy. It works for us." And so it is for them all.

That's what we've been waiting to hear - perfect poop! Only a cat aficionado would understand. :wink:
That's so true! Celebrating poop is SUCH a cat-person thing!

artiemom

Top Cat
Purraise
Artie Update...
NO poop today.. ok.. the day is not over, and if he skips a day.. I am not worried. I understand and have an arsenal of meds for him..:yess:

I discombobulated Artie today. :( I washed his quilt/tent!!:bawling2: He had to succumb to lying on his throw. He was not happy; however, he did sleep on it..:sorry:

As soon as the quilt was dried and folded; He walked right over to it, trying to get inside.. for a tent... sweet boy..:lovecat:

He is now inside his tent.. nice, cozy, warm, with a full belly.

Artie ate good today.. about 3/4 of a small can, and over 1/2 of the small breakable halves of Nutro..
and I gave him a few treats.. 3 fur ball ones, and 6 Meow Mix.. he loves them. The Furball treats smell like bacon.. they are the Purina One Chicken ones.. yuck.. more for his Chicken allergy.. but he refuses the good ones with the psyllium..
Defiantly a junk food junkie...:runningcat: :lovecat2:

All in all, Artie had a good day.. He was right by my side, watching, protecting me, as I was shredding a bunch of stuff, late this afternoon. :lovecat: very engaged with me..

Now he is in his nice clean tent.. sleeping.. full belly, until later tonight.

I think I am going to bother him... at night, I NEED him on my lap~~ to love and keep me warm.. I just love him.. I think he understands.. but not during the night, when I am trying to sleep.. well, for a tiny bit.. to let me know he is ON GUARD.. but later, when I get restless, I wish he would leave... but I love him to death and back...:lovecat3::lovecat3::lovecat3::catrub::catrub::catrub::catrub:

It was such a nice day in here.. no noise, it was warm outside~~ opened windows a bit.. nice.. accomplished a ton.. not in cleaning but laundry of stuff I do not usually do, phone calls for appointments.. reading up on things.. All in all; a very good day...
I am grateful.. began anxious.. but calmed down as the day went on, and I understood more..

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Artie Update...
NO poop today.. ok.. the day is not over, and if he skips a day.. I am not worried. I understand and have an arsenal of meds for him..:yess:

I discombobulated Artie today. :( I washed his quilt/tent!!:bawling2: He had to succumb to lying on his throw. He was not happy; however, he did sleep on it..:sorry:

As soon as the quilt was dried and folded; He walked right over to it, trying to get inside.. for a tent... sweet boy..:lovecat:

Artie ate good today.. about 3/4 of a small can, and over 1/2 of the small breakable halves of Nutro..
and I gave him a few treats.. 3 fur ball ones, and 6 Meow Mix.. he loves them. The Furball treats smell like bacon.. they are the Purina One Chicken ones.. yuck.. more for his Chicken allergy.. but he refuses the good ones with the psyllium..

All in all, Artie had a good day.. He was right by my side, watching, protecting me, as I was shredding a bunch of stuff, late this afternoon. :lovecat: very engaged with me..

I think I am going to bother him... at night, I NEED him on my lap~~ to love and keep me warm.. I just love him.. I think he understands.. but not during the night, when I am trying to sleep.. well, for a tiny bit.. to let me know he is ON GUARD.. but later, when I get restless, I wish he would leave... but I love him to death and back...:lovecat3::lovecat3::lovecat3::catrub::catrub::catrub::catrub:

It was such a nice day in here.. no noise, it was warm outside~~ opened windows a bit.. nice.. accomplished a ton.. not in cleaning but laundry of stuff I do not usually do, phone calls for appointments.. reading up on things.. All in all; a very good day...
I am grateful.. began anxious.. but calmed down as the day went on, and I understood more..
Have you tried any of the freeze-dried "pure" treats? Or the bonito flakes? I can't remember if you said you did or not. My cats didn't show any interest in the shrimp, but they love the bonito flakes. I've also tried meat ones of some sort a long time ago, but they didn't care about them. I feed Drs. Foster & Smith treats, in tuna and salmon. They look somewhat like the Greenies but are smaller and have quality ingredients. Everyone loves them here.
We used to have a tent, but it wore out. Now we have a double tunnel, and Elvis has enjoyed it in the summer time but I guess he's more into curling up on the master bed now, where there's one of those warm acrylic fleece throws. And he can watch for Suha there, too :sigh:

dustydiamond1

Top Cat
Purraise
Artie Update...

:grouphug: :hearthrob::lovecat2::redheartpump::grouphug2: :catrub:

artiemom

Top Cat
Purraise
Have you tried any of the freeze-dried "pure" treats? Or the bonito flakes? I can't remember if you said you did or not. My cats didn't show any interest in the shrimp, but they love the bonito flakes. I've also tried meat ones of some sort a long time ago, but they didn't care about them. I feed Drs. Foster & Smith treats, in tuna and salmon. They look somewhat like the Greenies but are smaller and have quality ingredients. Everyone loves them here.
We used to have a tent, but it wore out. Now we have a double tunnel, and Elvis has enjoyed it in the summer time but I guess he's more into curling up on the master bed now, where there's one of those warm acrylic fleece throws. And he can watch for Suha there, too :sigh:
I tried the Bonito Flakes, CatManDo brand a while ago, and again, family recently... It was a NO Go.... Artie would not even sniff them.. just walked away... When I say, Junk food JunkieCat... I mean it!!!

Tuna, is meuh-- it used to be good.. salmon is so-so ~~ depending on the brand..

Junk food for Artie!!

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I tried the Bonito Flakes, CatManDo brand a while ago, and again, family recently... It was a NO Go.... Artie would not even sniff them.. just walked away... When I say, Junk food JunkieCat... I mean it!!!

Tuna, is meuh-- it used to be good.. salmon is so-so ~~ depending on the brand..

Junk food for Artie!!
Whatever works. And what Artie wants, ARTIE should GET. ;):redcat::winkcat:

artiemom

Top Cat
Purraise
I am going to give a quick update-- famous last words!---Ha :p

Artie is ok.. Poops yesterday and this morning. He did not eat much dry food last night.
I had left a couple dishes of leftover wet food for him, so the dry food was not as enticing to him. Hope that does not mess up his poops... oh well..

Artie had a case of the zoomies at 4AM!!! :hyper:

I got up at 5am, because I have a mid morning appointment. Want to devote as much time as I can to Artie's morning routine.. and mine, also..

Artie has been so clingy, at night. It is very strange.. and it has been going on for a while..
He is so sweet.. he follows me into bed, every night. My bed, is his bed.. he has to be touching me, no matter what position I am in. If I am too restless, he will just stay in the lower corner of my bed, but still be there with me. In fact, I think he is back to my bed, now..

Artie really seems to understand the word, MaMa.. never have used that before the past couple weeks.. but he seems to understand that means to come over and lie on my lap, in the recliner.

As soon as I move a bit, he is off my lap.. only to follow me to bed.. sweet boy..

He is not wanting to play much at all. I do brush him, but he is not into playing..
not interested. He still talks to me.. we do have our conversations.

He looks so skinny.. skinnier than ever.. sigh.. He is down to 10.1 lbs.. from the usual
10.3 lbs.

The lump on his neck is enlarging. I check it daily. Artie is tired of me doing so.
I have found a couple of tiny scratches on it.. sigh.. it is about 2 cm in diameter.. right along the collar line.

About time to give him his steroid, get brushed.. and me to get my butt in gear..

Just very exhausted.. throat is a bit scratchy.. hopefully it is from the weather.. It has been spring, on Sunday.. Yesterday, was back to cold. Today and tomorrow will be spring again.. and then cold and perhaps some snow during the week-end.. crazy weather.
Saw a fly on my window screen, Sunday...

Gotta go...:hyper::hyper::hyper::hyper::hyper: get hyper!!!

Antonio65

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
He looks so skinny.. skinnier than ever.. sigh.. He is down to 10.1 lbs.. from the usual
10.3 lbs.
Do you think that 0.2 lbs less are that visible on his body to the point that you say he's skinnier than ever?
Wouldn't it be just your "worried mom's eyes" tha see him this way?

The lump on his neck is enlarging. I check it daily. Artie is tired of me doing so.
I think that this could be more worrisome than the 0.2 lbs... :headscratch:

Status
Not open for further replies.