Artie and his Issues

Status
Not open for further replies.

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thank You. Yes the 1/4 of cypro, twice a day is really increasing his appetite. No need at this time to give him the entire prescribed amount of 1/2 twice a day. That was prescribed by the Evil Hospital..

Thanks for taking the time and effort to find this thread. I really appreciate it.

The Pedicure was awesome. Wow.. so relaxing. I have not had one for years.

I do not normally leave music playing, when I leave the house. I only do it, if I know I will be gone for a long time; if Artie seems kind of nervous; if there is noise in the apartment building; or if I go out at night.. For short trips during the day, I do not bother.

This is an "oldie" picture from about 4 years ago. I was checking out how to post a picture..
There seems to have been some delay in the photo posting, but I hope everyone can see handsome Artie now!

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Ah HA! The picture came back! I'm so happy about this pic. He looks so much better and SO much more content!:clap:

artiemom

Artie, my Angel; a part of my heart
Top Cat
Purraise
That picture was taken 5 years ago. He is laying on a Kohl's plastic bag.
That was when he was healthy.

Today, was a busy day, again.
Artie did not eat much. He was refusing his new food this morning. He did not eat anything until after 2pm. I did come home to a plate which was licked clean! That was 1/2 of a can. I was very happy.

Now, he is refusing the rest of the can of food, with the probiotic in it!! Man, this cat...He is pacing around, going over to the food dish and walking away!! It was cold, from the refrigerator when I put it out. I did nuke it in the microwave, but he is still refusing it!! DAmn cat...

I will give him some of the H&G later tonight.

I did weigh him this morning.. Artie did not gain any weight.. still at 9.87 lbs... that is not enough, however he feels a bit heavier.

I changed the batteries in my scale. I will re-weigh him again tomorrow morning. Despite the Cerenia and the Cypro, he has not gained any weight.. his appetite is just a bit improved.. now he is eating just over one 5 oz can a day.. but no weight gain... sigh..

I will give it some more time. I may increase the Cypro to the original 1/2 tablet twice a day..

:livid: :argh: :frustrated: :headshake: :nono: :sigh: :angrywoman: :bat:

did I miss any?? conveying my frustrations....

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That picture was taken 5 years ago. He is laying on a Kohl's plastic bag.
That was when he was healthy.

Today, was a busy day, again.
Artie did not eat much. He was refusing his new food this morning. He did not eat anything until after 2pm. I did come home to a plate which was licked clean! That was 1/2 of a can. I was very happy.

Now, he is refusing the rest of the can of food, with the probiotic in it!! Man, this cat...He is pacing around, going over to the food dish and walking away!! It was cold, from the refrigerator when I put it out. I did nuke it in the microwave, but he is still refusing it!! DAmn cat...

I will give him some of the H&G later tonight.

I did weigh him this morning.. Artie did not gain any weight.. still at 9.87 lbs... that is not enough, however he feels a bit heavier.

I changed the batteries in my scale. I will re-weigh him again tomorrow morning. Despite the Cerenia and the Cypro, he has not gained any weight.. his appetite is just a bit improved.. now he is eating just over one 5 oz can a day.. but no weight gain... sigh..

I will give it some more time. I may increase the Cypro to the original 1/2 tablet twice a day..

:livid: :argh: :frustrated: :headshake: :nono: :sigh: :angrywoman: :bat:

did I miss any?? conveying my frustrations....
Well, he IS feline and male, you know :crackup:We can't expect consistency or logic all the time from them, can we? ;) But it sounds as though he is doing well, and I hope he eats more this evening if he hasn't already. :hellocomputer::cutecat:

maddies momma

TCS member, Crazy Cat Lady!
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Iv stopped recieving notifications for this thread even tho I'm "watching" it. I'm commenting in case that will help.

Mamanyt1953

Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Iv stopped recieving notifications for this thread even tho I'm "watching" it. I'm commenting in case that will help.
It will. I went through my "watch" list and made a short comment on each one. Although there is no daily digest anymore (or at least "yet"), I am getting notifications on each thread.

DANG...I missed the date on that photograph. All the excitement of actually seeing the photographs come back again, I guess.

artiemom

Top Cat
Purraise
Artie update.. I do not know what is up with him. Artie is not eating with the gusto, and the amount that he should. He is still taking the cypro and the cerenia. I increased the dose of cypro to 1/2 tablet. It has not improved his appetite.

He has been a tad more vocal. Artie has decided that he does not like one of the new foods!! :angrywoman: The Red Barn is now a no-no to him :livid:

He ignored his food yesterday morning! :bat: It was ZiwiPeak
I did ignore him for a lot yesterday. I was watching April, the Giraffe give birth; I had a few calls to make (friend's brother passed yesterday morning); and then I had to run to the church to help decorate it for Easter. I was gone a long time.

I came home, Artie was waiting for me--He decided to eat.. around 12:30pm..

I had to dump my clothes in the wash. We were putting out Lilies.. I did not want to get any of the pollen on him.. had to jump in the shower before I could pay him any attention. He was following me all over!

I was late giving him his sub-q's, but he was wonderful taking them.
All I did was warm up the bag, pick him up, put him on the quilt, and stick him. Artie did not flinch or move an inch until it was all done! He was such a good boy with this.

He was fussy with his food last night also.
I gave him the left overs of the H&G lamb ~~ he refused it.
So, I opened up a new can of H&G lamb with duck liver.. He still was not happy.

I felt achey all over, and very sleepy ~~explain later.. so I went to bed early with the intention of reading in bed for a while. Artie ended up running over to me, staying with me all night, Being extremely vocal all night long!!

Artie was actually howling, crying, walking all over me, cuddling with me~~ Really bad. I had to get up at 1:30 AM to see what was going on. He had eaten all of the newly opened can of food which I left out. I had fallen asleep really early, so I still had some left in the can. I put out the rest of it.. which he gobbled up...strange cat...

He was still cuddling with me when my alarm went off. I think he missed me, and was yelling at me..

Or, could it be, because I had left the air purifier on, in the great room?? and he was afraid of it, or not liking the breeze??? I do sleep with one running in my bedroom, any have not had any issues from him with it being on....

Yesterday, at church, we were decorating the Altar. It is elevated on marble. There are 4, cream colored, decreasingly smaller marble levels, comprising steps, leading up to the altar. I am always a bit fearful of them, for some strange reason..

Yes, I lost my footing.. forgetting about the elevations (stairs)...and fell on them.. I hit my bad shoulder (right) just a tad, turned and fell on my left side, hitting the stairs with my body. My left shoulder, wrist, hip and lower leg hit each level. I was really hurting.. I the bruises on these spots.

When I came home, I took a shower, and grabbed some ice packs for the knees, put the wrist brace on the left wrist. I had to ignore Artie.. but he was staying with me.

Last night I took a couple Aleve pain meds. For some reason, they got me so sleepy. That is why I went to bed, to read; and fell asleep so early; ignoring Artie..
He was so vocal last night. I actually had to call him, a couple of times to come over to my bed.

Thinking of a nap today.. or very early to bed.

It is so warm here.. 82 degrees--too warm.

maddies momma

TCS member, Crazy Cat Lady!
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I'm sorry you guys are having a rough time! :( it sounds like just an off weekend. Hopefully things improve soon!

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Artie update.. I do not know what is up with him. Artie is not eating with the gusto, and the amount that he should. He is still taking the cypro and the cerenia. I increased the dose of cypro to 1/2 tablet. It has not improved his appetite.

He has been a tad more vocal. Artie has decided that he does not like one of the new foods!! :angrywoman: The Red Barn is now a no-no to him :livid:

He ignored his food yesterday morning! :bat: It was ZiwiPeak
I did ignore him for a lot yesterday. I was watching April, the Giraffe give birth; I had a few calls to make (friend's brother passed yesterday morning); and then I had to run to the church to help decorate it for Easter. I was gone a long time.

I came home, Artie was waiting for me--He decided to eat.. around 12:30pm..

I had to dump my clothes in the wash. We were putting out Lilies.. I did not want to get any of the pollen on him.. had to jump in the shower before I could pay him any attention. He was following me all over!

I was late giving him his sub-q's, but he was wonderful taking them.
All I did was warm up the bag, pick him up, put him on the quilt, and stick him. Artie did not flinch or move an inch until it was all done! He was such a good boy with this.

He was fussy with his food last night also.
I gave him the left overs of the H&G lamb ~~ he refused it.
So, I opened up a new can of H&G lamb with duck liver.. He still was not happy.

I felt achey all over, and very sleepy ~~explain later.. so I went to bed early with the intention of reading in bed for a while. Artie ended up running over to me, staying with me all night, Being extremely vocal all night long!!

Artie was actually howling, crying, walking all over me, cuddling with me~~ Really bad. I had to get up at 1:30 AM to see what was going on. He had eaten all of the newly opened can of food which I left out. I had fallen asleep really early, so I still had some left in the can. I put out the rest of it.. which he gobbled up...strange cat...

He was still cuddling with me when my alarm went off. I think he missed me, and was yelling at me..

Or, could it be, because I had left the air purifier on, in the great room?? and he was afraid of it, or not liking the breeze??? I do sleep with one running in my bedroom, any have not had any issues from him with it being on....

Yesterday, at church, we were decorating the Altar. It is elevated on marble. There are 4, cream colored, decreasingly smaller marble levels, comprising steps, leading up to the altar. I am always a bit fearful of them, for some strange reason..

Yes, I lost my footing.. forgetting about the elevations (stairs)...and fell on them.. I hit my bad shoulder (right) just a tad, turned and fell on my left side, hitting the stairs with my body. My left shoulder, wrist, hip and lower leg hit each level. I was really hurting.. I the bruises on these spots.

When I came home, I took a shower, and grabbed some ice packs for the knees, put the wrist brace on the left wrist. I had to ignore Artie.. but he was staying with me.

Last night I took a couple Aleve pain meds. For some reason, they got me so sleepy. That is why I went to bed, to read; and fell asleep so early; ignoring Artie..
He was so vocal last night. I actually had to call him, a couple of times to come over to my bed.

Hope you feel better soon! Marble is very slippery. I'd be careful of it, too.
I think you're right -- Artie has been missing you and missing your more regular schedule of being home with him more. I think that's why his patterns of eating have been messed up lately. That's what is indicated by what you report, anyway, IMHO. Hopefully after today you will be able to devote more time to him and he will be more confident. :kneading:

Mamanyt1953

Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
OK...Artie did eat something, so that's good.

HOW ARE YOU????? I'm worried about you with that fall, and of course it was on your bad side! :vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes:
to you, this time! and a big, but very gentle, :hugs:

Margret

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
---BIG SNIP---

Yes, the noise and/or breeze of the air filter could well be it. I'm guessing that the layout in your bedroom is different so that whatever frequencies bother Artie are suppressed, or so that it's easier for him to avoid the breeze.

After one of the house guests from hell abused me, I was so badly bruised that it was impossible to sleep. The next day, on the recommendation of my brother, we went to the drug store and bought a can of Solarcaine. All it took was one application. The next time I could feel the bruises at all was when they had begun to turn green and could barely be felt.

It doesn't have to be Solarcaine; that was just the easiest one to find. Any spray-on sunburn remedy should do the job, and the others are all cheaper than Solarcaine. Depending on the location of the bruises you may want to get a friend to spray it, and afterwards you (or your friend) should wash your hands thoroughly with soap -- you don't want to get that stuff in Artie's fur or in food you're preparing; it tastes horrible.

Margret

artiemom

Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks for your concern. I am ok. The worst was on my Good Side, the left one. The lower leg is still swollen and sore where I hit it, but no bruise as of yet. My inner wrist has a big bruise, but it is not tender.
The shoulder, has a tiny sore spot. Just below the hip is a bit swollen and sore when it is touched.. but I am ok..

Artie did the same thing again early this morning. It was 4:30AM and he was howling something fierce! walking all over me, tapping me, wanting me up for something.
I finally got up, he ran into the kitchen! You would think he did not have any food for days! I looked and he still had some food left in his dish!
So I opened another can of the same food and added it.

Artie was not happy with my choice!!

I went back to bed. Artie followed me and started howling again! I called him to bed. He jumped up, proceeding to walk all over me again!! I spoke to him very quietly, while sending him kisses.. He ended up curled up on my pillow, on top of my head! Not for long though, he jumped down....

I finally got up after 7am, discovering he ate a tiny bit of the food I left down.

There are a few things I can think of:
1) The cypro is giving him a reaction
2) He is tired of all the food I am giving him... all 4 varieties of lamb
3) He is missing me from the past week
4) He is in pain of some sort
5) he is getting a bit constipated again... poops have been getting harder.. sigh

I do not feel he is gaining weight with the cerenia and cyproheptadine.
I will weigh him soon, after I brush him...back to our daily routine.

He is not pooping as much. Last poop was Saturday, and it was only a couple of one inch pieces.. sigh...

Mamanyt1953

Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I'm thinking that you can rule out #4, simply because the first time he got you up, he ran to the kitchen. At the risk of sounding snarky, and it isn't meant to be, it is said lovingly and laughingly, but you don't get facial expressions on here, or vocal tones, let's add:

#6) I've been sick, and my person has spoiled me, and I think I ought to get what I want when I want it, even if it is just her attention.

Now, bear in mind, this is coming from the woman who drags out of bed at all hours because a certain tortie diva insists it is time to get up without the excuse of, "I've been sick." Hekitty is spoiled rotten with no excuses whatsoever except I can't seem to say "NO!" to that sweet, mottled little face and those big green eyes!

artiemom

Top Cat
Purraise
I went outside to sit on the balcony for a bit. Of course, Artie was chomping at the bit to go out. In and out several times. Could not even enjoy the book I was reading.
He is snubbing the 2 types of food out there..sigh

I finally came in because I was tired of letting him in and out.. and I was tired of hearing him meow for both...

When I came in, no sooner did I sit down, then I heard the ungodly howl..... this time in the afternoon! I did not know what to think...

Artie took me to his food area.. both bowls left untouched. I found some Pork by H & G.. and gave it to him... he gobbled it up...

I am really at a loss as to what to do..

Do I keep giving him different foods when he tires of them? Do I starve him by keeping the same food out.. all I know is the loud howling and walking all over me at 2 AM is really too much.

Do I continue with the appetite med and the Cerenia? He seems to have stopped liking his lips since I started giving it to him.
I still think he has a gastric upset...

He is also a bit constipated. Artie has not gotten the full doses of miralax because of his fussiness with food.....
And I missed 1 dose of cisapride on Saturday because I was not feeling well, and perhaps a dose of Friday cuz I was busy. I cannot think if I gave it to him or not.. I have to check the log..

I gave him a bit more lactulose this morning.. 2 mg instead of 1.5 mg.

artiemom

Top Cat
Purraise
Artie was really having a bad day yesterday.
He was really off his food. I had to scrounge around, finding some Pork H&G food. He gobbled that right up... half a 5 oz can.

Artie was in and out of the litter box, 5 times trying to poop. He is constipated again....sigh...

I also looked at the new prescription of Cerenia, I got from the N Vet.
It is a different dose from what I have been giving him.
It is a 16mg tablet; with directions for 1/2 tablet daily.
I am currently giving him 1/2 of a 24 mg tablet. I do not know if that was a mistake or not.

I have to call the N Vet about these two issues...sigh...

I increased his dose of lactulose to 1.75 (from 1.5) on Sunday. Yesterday, after seeing him straining, I increased it to 2cc twice a day.

Artie was back to cuddling with me all night long. He does this when he is not feeling well. He did yowl very loud a couple of times. I just called him over to me, he came and we cuddled.

I woke up to finding an empty dish (1/2 can of lamb) and about 1/4 can of the pork eaten.

Artie did try to poop during the night. I found a dry, thick, hard 2 x 2 inch poop just outside the litter box, with another 1 x 2 piece a bit further from the box, ( I stepped on it and it did not even squish all the way down) and another 1 x 2 inch piece in the other bedroom.

Artie ate his Ziwipeak lamb, 1/2 of a 3 oz can, for breakfast. He does not want to be brushed. He is hiding.

Artie has even taken to hiding in his carrier. I caught him in there, twice this morning.

I am planning on going to Mass today. I have to pick up a Mass Card for my best friend, whose brother passed on Friday. The services are this Thursday.
I will call the N Vet when I get home. I am hoping he will say to try the lactulose for one more day, since something did come out, and see what happens tomorrow.

If not, then I can either run Artie into Boston, or see if his R Vet can give him another enema... sigh...

We were doing so good... until he started fussing with his food, losing weight, .. not getting the correct amount of miralax, refusing all his food.. me having to try a different brand with him, all the hours I spent away from him last week, me forgetting one dose of cisapride.. kicking myself for that.. and now constipation...sigh...

I know he is FOP ~~~ full of poop. how to get it out, without an enema is what I do not know how to do...sigh..
this is where I need the N Vets advice. I may just skip Mass and call the New Vet and wait for his phone call....sigh....

I do want to get out.. I need to get out... sigh..
but what do I do?? I can be home by 1pm...

mazie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Take a deep breath, go to Mass, when you get back, call the N vet and then the R vet and schedule an enema. That's what I would do if I were you. It will be alright, you are strong, just soldier on!!

Status
Not open for further replies.