Artie and his Issues

Status
Not open for further replies.

angels mommy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Take the day & rest. You can catch us up later. Yes, allergies suck!  I take the generic zyrtec everyday. It's about the only one I can take, being on b.p. meds. 

It's good that Artie finally ate something. Hopefully he will be resting also today after fluids, so you can get some rest. 

artiemom

Artie, my Angel; a part of my heart
Top Cat
Purraise
Amazingly, I am wide awake! I gave Artie all his meds, and sub-q's, washed the dishes, brushed Artie, stripped my bed, turned mattress, washing bed sheets now, picked up a bit around here.. and about to jump in the shower.. Have a load of white clothes on now. 

Have also been checking up on April, the giraffe..still hanging on....

It is 46 degrees, sunny! windows are open but they will be closed down a bit in a hour or so.. 

Have to redo bed, shower, and go out for an hour or so. 

Artie is really liking the ZiwiPeak lamb food. Amazing. Well, at least I have a substitute for him.. He needs to poop... if he does not go during the day, he will get a higher dose of lactulose.. He has not been taking all the miralax nor the probiotic, because he has not been eating all of his food, just the liquid... I expect his bowels to be a bit messed up...

angels mommy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well that's good. It sounds like you feel better anyway . Maybe you'll be ready for a nap later. 

Maybe Artie will poop, since he did finally eat a little more, & it's fluids day!  

I need to get off of the computer, & get some things done myself.  I swear, I just try to check/ get through some emails, & before you know it....2 hrs later!! 

That's why occasionally, I will skip a day, & not even get on it!  I try not to though, because then it just piles up. 

It's great we have email, but sometimes I miss the days before we did!  

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Sounds like you two have been having a good day so far (if early start to it!) and hope that continues.

Sometimes a cat will avoid the solid food if his/her teeth/mouth hurts.  How is his oral health?  My cats, though, do this sometimes, too, and I guess it's because they love the gravy.  They come back later for the solid parts.  It's great that Artie is liking his new food.  The more options you have, the better, right?

So you'll have nice clean laundry and hopefully you two can cuddle and relax -- it's CATurday!

artiemom

Top Cat
Purraise
Quick Sunday Morning Update:

Last night, again, before I went to bed, Artie Pooped... it was about 5 x 1 inches and a bit dry.

I gave him a bit more lactulose, in order for it to become a bit softer. It is at this point, that if I do nothing, he will get semi-constipated..

This morning, Artie rewarded me with a huge pile of poops!! It was a huge pile.. nice texture and 1/2 in diameter. And as soon as I woke up.. He was waiting for me!! I would describe it as a cinnamon bun, but someone is requesting me not to relate it to food... so it is just a POP  
... (pile of poop)

He loved the ZiwiPeak Lamb!! But he is eating mostly the liquid.. strange. 

This morning I gave him his regular H&G pure lamb. I have to check his dish. He did eat some. I switched back over to his smaller plates, for during the day, when I am home. I can always refill them. 

Artie did not cuddle during the night. He also go tired of my lap last night; slept a lot during the day. 

I must say that since I switched him from Natures Variety food, his fur has gotten so silky and shiny. It is really like spun silk. I cannot get enough of it!! I am not doing anything else to cause this change. 

​It is expected to be a very, very warm day around  here... In the 60's .. Windows, door open!!

A very warm week! Tuesday may break a record--- 70's!!  Summer will be here, without Spring.. The pollen count is going to go through  the roof this week. Already warning us of it.. Time to take out my other air purifier and put it in the great room.. Artie does not  like it!

Have to get going... Church this morning.. giving out communion, perhaps helping with the  Palms...and of course, being an usher (collecting Money). 

I went to confession yesterday. The Deacon reminded me that I am one of the 12 who are having their feet washed on Holy Thursday (in remembrance  of the Last Supper).. He was kidding me when he said that he did not want to touch 'dirty, smelly feet'!!!!  

I told him I made a "Pedi" appointment especially for that morning!!!  It is also a gift to myself. I have not had a Pedi for a couple of years. This gave me a 'reason' for getting one. I could have a "mani" also, but they never last on my hands. I am rough on my hands, so it is usually a waste of money. 

Gotta get going.. busy day... Mass, breakfast, read newspaper, Cemetery, fold and put clean clothes away, another load or 2 of laundry....

Last edited:

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Sounds like you work all the time just like I do.  Luxury to me is a time curling up with cats, maybe watching a movie or reading or listening to music, maybe just loving them and enjoying their company.  A rare treat here!

Good Artie!  Maybe there's something in his new food that he either doesn't like the texture of or just isn't used to (the mussels, maybe?).  I hope he'll adapt and learn to love ALL of his food.  

Don't you love the soft fur?  Elvis' fur is quite lovely now -- he used to eat high quality dry food at his former home, and I switched him immediately to wet food 3x daily plus high quality dry available all the time.  He's put on some weight since he joined us, and since he loves being brushed and I love brushing him, his fur has taken on the sheen of fine platinum and gold, as he's a blue/cream cat.  I am biased, but I think he's gorgeous!

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
LOL...I stepped away from the computer to open my own windows, and Hekitty climbed on the keyboard and MADE A SCREENSHOT!  I have no clue how, as I don't know how to do them myself!

artiemom

Top Cat
Purraise
Artie has been sleeping all afternoon in his quilt/tent. He is refusing his food. It is the H&G food. Does not contain mussels. 

Artie was so funny. He was really talking to me without talking. When I came back from the cemetery, he was still on his cat tree. He sat up, looked right at me, with an exaggerated lip licking motion; meaning, he wanted DIFFERENT   num-mums!!!!  

I gave a big smile, laughing, and said, "Go get dummies".  Artie jumped down, preceded to go over to his food, sniffed the H&G and walked away. He is way too smart.. He is certain I will give in to him... 

Wondering if he will eat anything this evening or tonight........

I did all the chores at Church; helped hand out the Palms, watched the candle room for a few minutes, helped collect the donation, and gave out communion...

I read all the newspapers and then went to the cemetery. The clothes can wait until tomorrow. 

I sat on my butt, and watched several programs which I recorded ~ all on PBS: Call of the Midwife, Father Brown Mysteries, and Poldark....

artiemom

Top Cat
Purraise

Have you signed petition for saveourpublicmedia.org?  I think that's right.  If not, try .com.  If you want.  And please share widely!
No, I have not signed the petition. I usually stay away from signing petitions, especially on the web. I usually end up getting a lot of unsolicited junk mail.

Artie is having an: "I do not care for food" Day, today. 

I ended up opening up one of the new cans of food, and he still is not eating much... sigh..

One day at at time. He has been sleeping in his quilt/tent all day! I do not know why. The windows and door are wide open! 

I did go out on the balcony, first time in many months. Of course, he was at the screen door, waiting for me to open it for him. He came out, sniffed around, allowed me to pick him up, and went in when I opened up the door for him. He went right back to his tent. 

I did brush him a bit. He did not want much of it.. One of those days. 

He looks so skinny, but I have seen him skinnier.. and unhealthy. 

Have to see how the night turns out with his appetite. 

Last edited:

Antonio65

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi Artiemom,

I have read all your thread, that is very long, it took me about ten days

Now I am up to date with Artie's issues.

How is he today?

artiemom

Top Cat
Purraise

Hi Artiemom,

I have read all your thread, that is very long, it took me about ten days

Now I am up to date with Artie's issues.

How is he today?
OMG!!! What a massive undertaking!! never meant for it to be so long!! and take so much time to read!  thank you...

I will see those vibes 
 and add some 

for Cindy and sweet little Artie. I hope you both have a great day! 
Thank you! Yes, All of us need good vibes, wishes, and hugs...

Keeping positive vibes coming to Artie!!!
thanks..

Come ON, Artie man!  *PRAYERS* for him to get hungry and feel good.

It's protectmypublicmedia.org just in case.  And they don't promote.
Thanks also..

Artie only ate the juice! He did not want my lap last night.. He is spending a lot of time in his quilt/tent. I do not think he is in pain, but who knows?? This morning I opened up a can of ZiwiPeak lamb... he loved it! Ate about 1/4 of a 5 oz can! This is the most he has eaten in a few days. Then he proceeded to run into his tent!  

It is a gorgeous day outside, why would he waste the sunshine and fresh air by hiding in his tent.. unless he is hiding from me and his meds?? Who knows?

I will try to get a weight on him today. I think it should be a poop day; today or tomorrow. Problem is, if he is not eating his food, he is not getting his prescribed dose of miralax and the probiotic... no matter what I do. If I pill him too much at once, he vomits. 

I can get the liquid cisapride, the pepcid and a tiny few mg's of water in him. If I give him more, he will vomit...That is his limit.. stomach must be very small...

The Cerenia does not seem to improve his appetite. The cyproheptadine helps a bit, but I cannot give that to him every day...

I am running out of them, AND he did get a bit of reaction to them when he was taking it daily.. excessive vocalizing, not like the mirtzapine, but a bit excessive. 

On the good side, Artie is now fighting me when I give him his meds. His paw comes up to push my hand away. He pulls his head back and sideways, clenching his mouth. I really have to get his head in a certain position and tell him to "OPEN".. He is missing a pre-molar, which makes it a bit easier for me to slip in the syringe or pill gun. 

I have to quickly close his mouth, keeping it closed, and wait for him to swallow. 

I woke up to him cuddling me in bed. He could have gotten on the windowsills for the sun, but he cuddled with me. Sweet Litle One. 

Today is a semi-busy day.. the rest of the week will be extremely busy.. Easter Time in the Catholic Church. 

Tomorrow I am getting my hair done and then to church again. Then Thursday is  Pedicure in early morning, then to Church at 7pm for Services. I am one of the people whom the Priests are washing their feet. They asked me about a month ago. How could I refuse??  

Then Friday is Good Friday services during the afternoon.

I was asked if I would help them decorate the church for Easter. So that takes Saturday away from me. Then Sunday is Easter. I will probably help them distribute something to the kids after Mass. 

Artie will have to fend for himself. I will be too busy to take much time with him. I will leave him his food, get up really early to give him all his morning meds, and sub-q's.. but he is on his own. 

On top of this, my best friend's younger brother is in the last days of his life. sigh.. I feel bad for her. The last of her sibling.      I was there with her and her sister, when she passed: but, I am not close to her brother or his wife, so I am not visiting them; but I am spiritually there for all of them. He has been sick for a long time. He has been on 24 hour hospice for a month now, in a nursing home. so sad. 

​Because of the Easter season, any Services will have to now wait until after Easter.. that  is really tuff. 

Artie will just have to learn to survive without me for several days...

Fingers Crossed that he will still remember who I am.. and not just remember me as the "bad" person who gives him his meds...

I still wonder if Artie is having issues, swallowing and/or chewing.. He seems to lap up the water, but not the food; although this morning, he licked his plate clean. I got a shallower dish from Petco.. Artie has so many dishes/bowls. Now the oval ones are not good enough for him.. wonder if his teeth are bothering him.. 

He had 3 dentals, teeth pulled at each one. The N Vet said he had gingivitis, but nothing else. That is exactly what his Regular Vet has said. 

Well, he has an appointment on the 28, if his inappetence continues... I hate to say this, but I am wondering if the IBD is worsening or if he has SCL... That is not something I can dwell on. It is just in the back of my mind. It is for the N Vet to decide what it is and what to do.. I have complete faith and trust in him and his staff. I know Artie is in excellent hands.. 

He cannot get any better.. 

I also found out that it is almost impossible to get an appointment with the N Vet.. I have been so fortunate.. In addition to being in such demand, the N Vet also does "Rounds".. so it is either in the hospital teaching, or visiting the patients, or giving lectures.. 

I have to get going...

With all my running around, and the new format on this site, I do not know when I will be posting, but I will try to keep a daily update...hopefully you guys are still interested..it is more like a blog...

I have to Thank Anne and the Moderators for allowing me to continue this...

Last edited:

artiemom

Top Cat
Purraise
Well, I just weighed Artie---9.85 lbs... almost a record low. He is below 10 lbs.. the last time he was below 10 lbs was when he was dehydrated on Christmas Day, 9.5 then.. sigh... 

I think I may just keep feeding him the ZiwiPeak food, at least he is eating it. He will get sub-q's tomorrow. I will probably see if I can call the N Vet... sigh.. 

He was at 10.2 on Sunday... a drastic loss. Need to keep my wits about me. 

verna davies

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Of course we are and will continue to want to know how both you and Artie are.
You must be exhausted with the daily things you do. I am not sure I could do everything you do.
Perhaps Artie will miss you being around so much and decide to poop,eat and take his medicines like a good boy. Heres hoping anyway. Dont forget to look after yourself.

Status
Not open for further replies.