Artie and his Issues

Status
Not open for further replies.

inkysmom

Inky's legacy - Belly rubs CAN tame feral cats!
Alpha Cat
Purraise
with NVet... inkysmom inkysmom , there is absolutely NO injectable substitute for lactulose... so, to put it bluntly: CASE CLOSED!!

Ok, so much for trying to be helpful. Even amazing vets can be more amazing when owners advocate that some treatment is really impossible to give or is traumatic and a daily struggle for owner and cat. It should be all about quality of life and finding what works for you and Artie. He shouldn't be so stressed that he's having to fight like a bear and having thick gross liquid poured down his throat in huge amounts until he's stress drooling and vomiting. Nor should you have to go through it.
Vets can be amazing but they think clinically, in the hospital they have lots of help to restrain pets and many pets are better behaved in a new place.
But hey what do I know??? I've only had five elderly cats and my amazing dog die after long struggles with cancer in two years, had two other cats live to ages 19 and 20, other cats die of cancer, have a dog now with IBD who I sometimes have to force-feed and medicate daily (all 81 pounds of him), a cat with allergies to everything who I give allergy injections to and scratches himself raw and another cat with blockage surgery recently. Not to mention literally bringing my ancient horse back from the brink of death a few months ago, try force-feeding and medicating that.
I hope Artie does better. I was trying to help but this thread sometimes feels like you want sympathy and to vent, and don't want productive advice or anything that's not your idea. Other people's experience could help you and Artie if you let it.
I guess I'm being blunt too. I've got more sick animals than you but I find advice helpful. And I'm never rude to people who try to help.("case closed", seriously???)

Lactulose comes in enemas, it's gross but maybe less traumatic for Artie.

Everyone has sick animals and stress in life.
Good luck

artiemom

Artie, my Angel; a part of my heart
Top Cat
Purraise
I wanted to give everyone an update on Artie:

Artie has been going through a very bad period for the past week.. this weekend was very hard for him.

He has been constipated, with just a few hard 'squiggles'.. not eating, meat loafing...

I have been in contact with the NVet about this. In fact, I spoke directly with him on Saturday.

If I am repeating myself, I apologize.

I gave Artie some cheese, the past couple of nights. He ate 1.5 slices of cheese. He loves cheese. I felt that at least he got something into him,... and possibly that could jumpstart his appetite.

We had scheduled an urgent appointment for an enema, this morning with NVet's associate -- NVet is not in today. He will be in tomorrow, and during the evening shift.

We also increased his lactulose dose to 6 cc per day, beginning Saturday.
and cypro to twice a day at 1/2 tablet.

Well, last night, out of the blue, Artie began eating a bit of wet food.
Last evening, he ended up pooping, a 4 inch log. I was ecstatic.

He was cuddling all night long, frantically trying to wake me up around 1:30 AM for more poops.. I was so soundly asleep, and could not get up.. but he was telling me he needed to poop!!

I woke up to a 3 x 3 inch, thin clump in his box. He had diarrhea or a cow pattie.. and he ate just less than 1/3 can of food.

After discussing things with NVet's Sec, who will also discuss with NVet; I decided to cancel today's enema appointment, and see how he does, today.. I can always get him a urgent, add on appointment, tomorrow-- if needed.

If the dam is burst, then I am not going to torture him with an vet visit.

Right now, he is refusing his food, but, at least he pooped!!

It seems his intestinal transit time is 3 days. or 2.5 days.. It take that long for a change in lactulose or miralax dosage, to see a change... Have to keep remembering that...

The NVet did tell me, that the Lactulose is the "key" to Artie..

Right now, he is snoring in his tent...

thanks for listening to me, and putting up with me....

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Artie has been going through a very bad period for the past week.. this weekend was very hard for him.

He has been constipated, with just a few hard 'squiggles'.. not eating, meat loafing...

I have been in contact with the NVet about this. In fact, I spoke directly with him on Saturday.

I gave Artie some cheese, the past couple of nights. He ate 1.5 slices of cheese. He loves cheese. I felt that at least he got something into him,... and possibly that could jumpstart his appetite.

We had scheduled an urgent appointment for an enema, this morning with NVet's associate -- NVet is not in today. He will be in tomorrow, and during the evening shift.

He was cuddling all night long, frantically trying to wake me up around 1:30 AM for more poops.. I was so soundly asleep, and could not get up.. but he was telling me he needed to poop!!

I woke up to a 3 x 3 inch, thin clump in his box. He had diarrhea or a cow pattie.. and he ate just less than 1/3 can of food.

After discussing things with NVet's Sec, who will also discuss with NVet; I decided to cancel today's enema appointment, and see how he does, today.. I can always get him a urgent, add on appointment, tomorrow-- if needed.

It seems his intestinal transit time is 3 days. or 2.5 days.. It take that long for a change in lactulose or miralax dosage, to see a change... Have to keep remembering that...

Relieved to read of the progress Artie has made, and hoping he does not have to endure a vet visit. So sorry about that nasty lactulose-- you'd think, with the "pet industry" being a multibillion dollar goldmine, that the dunderheads would formulate it in some way that would be palatable! Artie is far from alone in hating it, so people, get with the program!!! It's like that horrible pink cherry-flavored antibiotic they give cats -- WHO thought THAT one up? That a pediatric medicine couldn't be reformulated to be palatable by CATS?!! :sigh:
In the meantime, aren't those catsnores ADORABLE? :cloud9:
Wishing you both a GOOD day. :yess::redcat:

Antonio65

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It's like that horrible pink cherry-flavored antibiotic they give cats -- WHO thought THAT one up? That a pediatric medicine couldn't be reformulated to be palatable by CATS?!! :sigh:
In the meantime, aren't those catsnores ADORABLE? :cloud9:
Wishing you both a GOOD day. :yess::redcat:
I also found some meds or supplement lemon-flavored or mint-flavored. How can a normal brain conceive such a monstruosity if the meds are to be given to a cat?
Today I got a sample bottle for some pills I should have to give Pallina. The label says "for cats", they would be big for a Dane dog! :hmmm: I have to break them in four and still risk to choke her...

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I also found some meds or supplement lemon-flavored or mint-flavored. How can a normal brain conceive such a monstruosity if the meds are to be given to a cat?
Today I got a sample bottle for some pills I should have to give Pallina. The label says "for cats", they would be big for a Dane dog! :hmmm: I have to break them in four and still risk to choke her...
Antonio65 Antonio65 , can you get a mano y metate ("mortar & pestle")? I use mine to grind Elvis' cranberry tablet every morning. It's also great for spices.

Antonio65

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Antonio65 Antonio65 , can you get a mano y metate ("mortar & pestle")? I use mine to grind Elvis' cranberry tablet every morning. It's also great for spices.
It would be pointless to grind them, because I couldn't add the crushed tablets or pills to her wet food. She doesn't like any surprise in her dish and I can't afford to risk she gets suspicious of her food.
Even giving her the crushed pill straight into her mouth would be close to an impossible mission :biggrin:

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Sorry to hear Artie is going through another rough patch. It's probably because he's been giving you such a hard time with the lactulose.

I'm glad you have the NVet to consult with. And NVet's secretary, as well. Not to mention, us here in Artie's Army who always have an ear ready to listen. :catrub:

Sending vibes Artie starts a stretch of good days soon. :vibes::vibes::vibes:

artiemom

Artie, my Angel; a part of my heart
Top Cat
Purraise
Artie is still refusing his food. I think he wants different food, or holding out for cheese.

He pooped a small amount of soft squiggles.. not much, but better than nothing.. lighter in color and soft. I had to really encourage him, he dug extremely vigorously, and went from one litter box to the other...

I know... these meds are so hard for our babies to take... What are the manufacturers thinking??? I know a lot of them are "off label" dosing but, seriously.. even for humans, they are nasty....

I am going to see how the night goes and discuss things with NVet and Sec, early tomorrow morning.

Thanks for the support, love you all...

dustydiamond1

Minion to Gypsy since October 2016
Top Cat
Purraise

:grouphug::grouphug2::cheerleader::heartshape::redheartpump::hearthrob::vibes::vibes::poop::poop::poop::clover::fallsmiley:

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It would be pointless to grind them, because I couldn't add the crushed tablets or pills to her wet food. She doesn't like any surprise in her dish and I can't afford to risk she gets suspicious of her food.
Even giving her the crushed pill straight into her mouth would be close to an impossible mission :biggrin:
Ah. Do they have those pill pockets where you are? They're treats that are hollowed out and you put the pill in the middle.

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well, man, I was hoping for a better update on Artie. At least he has his cheese he likes, maybe give him a little more of that. I know its not the best but maybe he'd eat his wet food if the cheese was warmed and melted over it?
*Kind of like "I CAN has cheezburger!" which if you're not familiar with it is a website devoted to amazingly funny pix that we caption, and GIFS as well...

Status
Not open for further replies.