Artie and his Issues

Status
Not open for further replies.

artiemom

Artie, my Angel; a part of my heart
Top Cat
Purraise
inkysmom inkysmom , Lactulose does not come in an injectable form... not compounded, not regular pharmacy... just the thick, sweet, liquid....

Now Artie has 'squiggles'... he digs, as if he giving a good poop, but then only a squiggle comes out.... as if he is partially obstructed... sigh.....

inkysmom

Inky's legacy - Belly rubs CAN tame feral cats!
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Maybe the awesome vet, is it Nvet could help think of a medication that does the same thing for him but does come in injectable form to help both you guys out? It sounds like such a daily battle and miserable for both of you.
I've been there with Inky and other cats, usually ones with cancer, that just needed so many meds I couldn't get them all into the poor kitties. With Inky the injections just saved my sanity and most importantly he just sat so still and didn't care at all so it didn't traumatize him. But if he saw me with any syringe or pill he fought like a panther, drooled everywhere and then would vomit everywhere anyway. But since he was diabetic him vomited and not eating even for a few hours was very dangerous for his blood sugar. And the only way to check blood sugar in a cat at home is to stick their ears which I couldn't touch because of his tumors and surgery scars. So he had to eat. Or no insulin. High blood sugar is safer than lower.
So I can definitely empathize.

inkysmom

Inky's legacy - Belly rubs CAN tame feral cats!
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Just for a joke I use to lure Pallina with a bit of chocolate, I would never give it to her, but I just want to see her reaction, and she just turns her head away at the smell of the chocolate.
Good girl ;)
I posted this before but my cat who now has bad allergies to everything LOVES chocolate and has broken into people's bags and broken wrappers and eaten some years ago. And steaks crumbs if I eat any around him. I've called the vet hospital I trust and they said small quantities of chocolate is not nearly as dangerous for cats as for dogs. It can make them hyper, nervous and agitated and high doses can cause neurological issues, but it's not fatal usually unless they're allergic to something in it. If there's milk in it and they're lactose intolerant they may have stomach issues. But I've let him have very small bites for years, otherwise he breaks in and steaks huge portions.
Now that he's allergic to many things and is supposed to be on a restricted diet, I try to not eat any chocolate when I'm home so he's not tempted. So he rarely gets any anymore. He's a very hyper cat in general. Turned 7 in September and races around non-stop like a kitten still. Maybe I did some damage who knows but he's very stubborn and breaks into everything like a little bandit.

Antonio65

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've called the vet hospital I trust and they said small quantities of chocolate is not nearly as dangerous for cats as for dogs.
[...]
If there's milk in it and they're lactose intolerant they may have stomach issues.
Yes, I knew that for cats chocolate is less dangerous than for dogs.
I only eat dark chocolate, with very little if no milk at all :)

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Just for a joke I use to lure Pallina with a bit of chocolate, I would never give it to her, but I just want to see her reaction, and she just turns her head away at the smell of the chocolate.
Good girl ;)
Very good girl!!! Stay away from that chocolate, cats!
and wishing Artie and Cindy a very nice CATurday filled with eating and its subsequent result. ;):redcat:

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Stay away from that chocolate, cats!
I have been very lucky with Hekitty. The only people food she has any interest in is the water drained from a tuna can (but NOT the tuna) and raspberry sherbet. I do not understand. There is something fundamentally wrong with the pussycat.

wishing Artie and Cindy a very nice CATurday filled with eating and its subsequent result. ;):redcat:
:yeah:

artiemom

Top Cat
Purraise
I am very fortunate with Artie.. there are a few things: cheese, fish; that he begs for...and is " in my face" with.. but on the whole, he does not care for People food....

Today was a bad day for Artie...long story... just pooping a one time, tiny squiggle of poop... not eating either... sigh..

spoke with NVet... inkysmom inkysmom , there is absolutely NO injectable substitute for lactulose... so, to put it bluntly: CASE CLOSED!!

I called NVet because I was concerned about giving Artie a dose of Cerenia and Cypro, today.. he was eating really good yesterday, and did not exhibit any nausea symptoms...
I was confused...

Artie's poop behavior, this morning, led me to believe that he is partially obstructed...

It took all day....as time went by, I made up my mind, while waiting to give Artie the Cerenia and the Cypro...

As soon as I gave him the 'end' of what I thought was his lactulose dose for today, and a dose of cypro; The NVet returned my call.

Told NVet that the time was going by, so I made my own decision on the C & C... he said he would have done the same thing....
Asked about the Lactulose... He said to keep giving it to him. I mentioned that he has had
4.5 cc today.. NVet said to increase that to 6 CC today!! OMG>>>>
NVet said that the worst that will happen is that he will have diarrhea.....

Puppy Pads and cover sheet: HERE I come!!

I will give him another dose of lactulose soon...sigh...

Artie has been hiding in his tent all day... never venturing out... I was cleaning up a storm, and he never visited.. not even to the litter box....oh no, thinking kidneys, now...
NO... he has enough going on... God would not do that to Artie and me...

Just exhausted, sore from cleaning: back, knee, hip... I felt as if I did a ton of cleaning...but I have more to do on Monday...

Sunday, I am having a fairly rest day... Early Mass at Church, then home until 3pm, then off for a Christmas concert, A La, Boston Pops repertoire, done by the North Shore Philharmonic Society.. It is an annual 'thing' at my Church. The church is packed..it is also televised on the local cable station. The admission is just a bag of groceries for the local Food Bank.

I have attended for the last 3 years, I really enjoy it... Artie will just have to be alone for a while.....
I think I may see a couple of "new" friends there.. perhaps we can go out for a snack/supper after the concert... looking forward to that...

I am hoping Artie will be a bit improved by the time I have to leave for the concert. sigh..

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
Today was a bad day for Artie...long story... just pooping a one time, tiny squiggle of poop... not eating either... sigh..
I'm so sorry, I wish there was something comforting I could say or do to help Artie and you. :hugs:

I hope you enjoy the Christmas Concert at church and your able to go out for a bite to eat with the new friends. Please check in to let us know if Artie poops or eats while you're gone.

Antonio65

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Artie's poop behavior, this morning, led me to believe that he is partially obstructed...
[...]
Asked about the Lactulose... He said to keep giving it to him. I mentioned that he has had
4.5 cc today.. NVet said to increase that to 6 CC today!! OMG>>>>
NVet said that the worst that will happen is that he will have diarrhea.....
Has the vet ever mentioned the use of liquid paraffin?

artiemom

Top Cat
Purraise
Artie is not having a good day... not at all.. It started a bit better, but has gone downhill.

When I got up, he proceeded to poop 4.5 inches x 1/2 inch of poop.. I was happy to see that... but, he is refusing all his food... both the wet and the dry... it is after 2pm and nothing has been eaten..

I gave him a Cypro at 10AM.. that should have helped... but no...

I am going to give him another dose of lactulose along with the Cerenia, very soon, before I leave for the Christmas Concert....

sigh...

artiemom

Top Cat
Purraise
I have never heard of liquid paraffin for constipation. I do not thing the doctors/vets around here have ever used it... certainly, it has not been even suggested by anyone we have seen.
It’s so so hard to have to sick kitty. You worry over every single little thing. I’m an overbearing mother to Hariette still and she hasn’t been sick in months. I wonder sometimes if they just want privacy. Maybe a day alone will do him some good!

Antonio65

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have never heard of liquid paraffin for constipation. I do not thing the doctors/vets around here have ever used it... certainly, it has not been even suggested by anyone we have seen.
I had used liquid paraffin with my Lola, when she was blocked. I used to give her 2 ml to make the passage of poop easier. It was prescribed by my vet.
Once the passage is lubricated it is easier for Kitty to let the poop out for several days after.
However talk with your vet.

dustydiamond1

Minion to Gypsy since October 2016
Top Cat
Purraise
inkysmom inkysmom , Lactulose does not come in an injectable form... not compounded, not regular pharmacy... just the thick, sweet, liquid....

Now Artie has 'squiggles'... he digs, as if he giving a good poop, but then only a squiggle comes out.... as if he is partially obstructed... sigh.....
:alright::grouphug::grouphug2::vibes::vibes::vibes::lovecat2::poop::poop::poop::winkcat: :hearthrob::redheartpump::itslove:

dustydiamond1

Minion to Gypsy since October 2016
Top Cat
Purraise
Maybe the awesome vet, is it Nvet could help think of a medication that does the same thing for him but does come in injectable form to help both you guys out? It sounds like such a daily battle and miserable for both of you.
I've been there with Inky and other cats, usually ones with cancer, that just needed so many meds I couldn't get them all into the poor kitties. With Inky the injections just saved my sanity and most importantly he just sat so still and didn't care at all so it didn't traumatize him. But if he saw me with any syringe or pill he fought like a panther, drooled everywhere and then would vomit everywhere anyway. But since he was diabetic him vomited and not eating even for a few hours was very dangerous for his blood sugar. And the only way to check blood sugar in a cat at home is to stick their ears which I couldn't touch because of his tumors and surgery scars. So he had to eat. Or no insulin. High blood sugar is safer than lower.
So I can definitely empathize.
:grouphug::grouphug2::hearthrob::redheartpump:

Status
Not open for further replies.