Artie and his Issues

Status
Not open for further replies.

Antonio65

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ah. Do they have those pill pockets where you are? They're treats that are hollowed out and you put the pill in the middle.
Yes, we do have them, but Pallina is extremely smart, and if I am going to give her something that she never saw before, she will refuse it.
I tried them before.
Many years ago I had to give her a very nasty pill. On the first three days I gave her the pill and then had to stitch my wounds :lol:
The vet told me to crush them and put them into a very tasteful paste and spread it on one of her front paws. Cats' habit to lick their paws would have led her to clean her up and eat the pill. She just shook her paw, and the paste ended up on a wall.
So the vet told me to spread that paste on Pallina's chest, she wouldn't have been able to shake it off and would hve licked herself clean. Well, she stayed with that dried up paste on her chest for days !!! :confused:
Then I used the pill pockets, absolutely no results.
Then I used the pill gun, a special syringe to shoot pills down the cat's throat, I think she crushed it under her teeth.
The final solution was not to give her the pill :lol:

artiemom

Artie, my Angel; a part of my heart
Top Cat
Purraise
Artie update:
Artie is going in to see NVet, late this afternoon. He will start with an X-ray, and then most likely an enema. The appointment is at 3:30pm, during rush hour. I will have to leave here around 2pm, because of traffic.

I do not know what time I will be getting home.

All of Artie's Army will be updated, as soon as I am able to do so...

He did not eat anything, except for 1.5 slices of deli cheese, last night. No appetite at all today.. he has to be fasting, anyway for the enema.. they do things so different than what we did at the other place. He will have the X-ray first, then proceed with the visit with NVet the enema.. or see NVet first, then x-ray, then enema... sigh

Artie was a velcro cat last night. He does that when he is sick. Right now, he is burrowed deep, under the covers of my bed, hiding from me.

He has been pooping only tiny squiggles.. and taking 6 cc of lactulose each day. Refusing his food, both the wet and the dry...

I am at a loss as to what to do.. I am confused.
At least I know that NVet trusts my instincts with Artie. That means a lot to me..

I hate the late appointments.. last time, NVet had "the talk" with me....

not looking for sympathy... just trying to state facts... This time of year is a love/hate relationship, for me... but look at where we were a year ago.. Artie was so much sicker...
I am grateful....

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Artie, I hope your vet visit goes okay. :redheartpump::redheartpump::redheartpump: I just ordered this cat bag today because my cats are impossible to pill. I can let you guys know if it works. I had to get Extra Large even though my cats are not even close to 20 pounds, but they are super long. They must have a Maine Coon ancestor. Here's the link:

mazie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes, we do have them, but Pallina is extremely smart, and if I am going to give her something that she never saw before, she will refuse it.
I tried them before.
Many years ago I had to give her a very nasty pill. On the first three days I gave her the pill and then had to stitch my wounds :lol:
The vet told me to crush them and put them into a very tasteful paste and spread it on one of her front paws. Cats' habit to lick their paws would have led her to clean her up and eat the pill. She just shook her paw, and the paste ended up on a wall.
So the vet told me to spread that paste on Pallina's chest, she wouldn't have been able to shake it off and would hve licked herself clean. Well, she stayed with that dried up paste on her chest for days !!! :confused:
Then I used the pill pockets, absolutely no results.
Then I used the pill gun, a special syringe to shoot pills down the cat's throat, I think she crushed it under her teeth.
The final solution was not to give her the pill :lol:
There is a tasty paste that comes in a tube, called, Lickables?? I believe. It comes in tasty cat flavors that cat's like. I do not know who makes the product, but it's purpose is a snack for cats. Just reading your post, made me think of it. When I am finished posting this, I am going to look it up and find where they are available or where I can order them. Down the line, if I have to give Katy a pill, if this paste comes in cat yummy flavors, maybe by crushing the pill and placed inside this paste like a sandwich may be an agreeable way for cats to injest their pills. Worth checking out at least. :dunno:

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Artie update:
Artie is going in to see NVet, late this afternoon. He will start with an X-ray, and then most likely an enema. The appointment is at 3:30pm, during rush hour. I will have to leave here around 2pm, because of traffic.

He did not eat anything, except for 1.5 slices of deli cheese, last night. No appetite at all today.. he has to be fasting, anyway for the enema.. they do things so different than what we did at the other place. He will have the X-ray first, then proceed with the visit with NVet the enema.. or see NVet first, then x-ray, then enema... sigh

Artie was a velcro cat last night. He does that when he is sick. Right now, he is burrowed deep, under the covers of my bed, hiding from me.

He has been pooping only tiny squiggles.. and taking 6 cc of lactulose each day. Refusing his food, both the wet and the dry...

At least I know that NVet trusts my instincts with Artie. That means a lot to me..

not looking for sympathy... just trying to state facts... This time of year is a love/hate relationship, for me... but look at where we were a year ago.. Artie was so much sicker...
I am grateful....
You are doing the best thing by taking him in for a checkup and a cleanse. *PRAYERS* for him to feel much better afterwards and eat (and eliminate) very well! Sometimes I guess it takes that to get someone back on schedule if they have these things to deal with. May it all go well and may you both have a good evening and night!

dustydiamond1

Minion to Gypsy since October 2016
Top Cat
Purraise
Artie update:

I am grateful....
:grouphug2::grouphug::crossfingers::hearthrob::redheartpump::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::goodluck::clover::poop::poop::poop::lovecat2::winkcat::catrub:

artiemom

Artie, my Angel; a part of my heart
Top Cat
Purraise
Back from appointment.. extremely long night and day...
Please pardon my grammar, typing, thought process... just exhausted..had a couple of cocktails to wind down..

Artie refused all food today and did not use litter box, despite sub-q's...he ended up soaking though, with poop fluids, my bedsheets... the top sheet, bottom sheet, down to the mattress pad...whatever, I will survive.. did not notice until just before leaving for Dr Brum, aka NVet...Had to deal with that when I came home..

Artie was awesome, round trip... barely any yowling or crying.. just taking to me when I asked if he was ok..

He had an x-ray, and a ton of blood tests: CBC, kidneys, pancreas... I will get CBC, kidney results tomorrow.. Pancreas takes a couple of days.. he is such a good boy with all the VEt's techs, etc...

Results of x-ray: only a small amount of poop in distal colon. NVet cannot palpate it.. so it must be soft... going back to regular doses of meds.. not constipated...

NVet went over his x-rays twice.. taking Tech with him the second time..

Artie did lose a pound of weight... he is now 9./4 lbs... kind of ironic; this is what he weighed a year ago---before NVET....

Since being home, Artie is EATING his WET food!!!! I am ecstatic...

NVet was funny.. upon going over his daily meds, He said to me: "NO Cerrenia today?"
I replied, "NO, he is not eating, so I gave it to him before we left."
NVet's reply: "That is what should be done!"......really surprised, but I kind of think it was a test; to see if I really knew the nuances of the meds, and what they are used for....

NVEt is so greatly respected at Angell Memorial.. each time I mention his name or his secretary's name, everyone's eyes light up... they all love them..
I saw a tech, with a glorious black Great Dane... I could not help but comment how gorgeous the dog was and what type of breed. Once I mentioned, Dr Brum's name, in general conversation; the tech's eyes lit up! She said he would definitely help us....

That is a big reason I explicitly trust DR Brum, aka NVet...........

will let Artie's Army now more, when I do...

Love all of you guys...
Cindy

Last edited:

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Thanks for the update. I must admit I was hanging around the forum hoping you'd post before I shut the computer down for the night. Glad to hear Artie is eating! Now you can end your long and tiring day on a good note.
Hugs to you and Artie from me and my orange kitty, Ruby. :hugs: :redheartpump::hugs: :winkcat::catrub::redheartpump::hugs:

Status
Not open for further replies.