Anyone Else's Cat So Cute But Not Cuddly?

smosmosmo

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Smo is the cutest thing I've ever seen in my life, but doesn't like being fussed over too much. She hates being picked up, will not let me hug her, and has never let me hold her in my arms. I have to chase her around to kiss her, so I'm always trotting behind her trying to sneak in a kiss.

On the flipside she makes it clear that I'm her person and in the colder months sleeps on my legs or curled up by my stomach every night. When she's sleepy she's a giant lovebug and kneads/purrs up a storm. Now that it's summer I have to admire her from afar. She is insanely cute and I want to cuddle her for hours but she's just not having it.

I love this little weirdo so much. Is anyone else in a similar predicament?

Attachments

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Every cat is different.

In general though, most prey animals would not be happy with leaving their feet not of their own will as that's usually a prelude to being eaten. Same with being chased. She doesn't know you're just looking for a kiss. In the wild, animals that show too much interest in another animal either want to eat or mate with that other animal. It's actually not that different with people. :D

How old is smo? Cats mellow with age and often get more affectionate. She may never like being picked up or chased. But she may seek you out for affection on her terms more often.

Does she free feed? If she has to seek you out for meals, that's when Krista turns up her affection to 11! "How am I supposed to feed you when you're laying on my stomach?"

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

smosmosmo

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
What happens is she'll be minding her own business, then I'll come kiss her. She'll tolerate me for 3 seconds, walk 3 feet away, then I'll follow her and kiss her again. Rinse, repeat. I'm sure she finds me very, very annoying and I'm lucky she tolerates me.

Smo is turning 6 in October, and I've known for her about a year and a half - I have noticed that she's mellowed out (for her) in maybe the past 6 months, right after I officially adopted her. She never really slept with me before that, and she wasn't particularly affectionate, but somewhere down the line she decided I was her person. She's stuck with me into old age though and I have hope that she will eventually turn into a cuddler - my boyfriend's grandma has a skittish black cat who took 15 years to start sleeping in her lap. I guess I have 10 years to go, lol.

I've free fed her and tried timed meals, but what Smo does when I time them is actually get mad at me that I'm withholding her food. She'll disdainfully watch me scoop these pitiful tablespoons of food in her bowl like, "IS THAT ALL, SLAVE???" I swear she's like a grouchy human most of the time.

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I can’t really relate.

Krista is a love bug. Cabernet (aka Cabbie), before her, was even more a love bug. She was a throw pillow. She was absolutely content in my lap or on my chest.

Not only does Krista like attention and her fair share of scritches, she’ll seek me out if it’s been too long.
145C3414-11B0-46D1-8EE0-519F80910117.jpeg

CatLover49

All Cats Are Special
Top Cat
Purraise
Every cat is different.

In general though, most prey animals would not be happy with leaving their feet not of their own will as that's usually a prelude to being eaten. Same with being chased. She doesn't know you're just looking for a kiss. In the wild, animals that show too much interest in another animal either want to eat or mate with that other animal. It's actually not that different with people. :D

How old is smo? Cats mellow with age and often get more affectionate. She may never like being picked up or chased. But she may seek you out for affection on her terms more often.

Does she free feed? If she has to seek you out for meals, that's when Krista turns up her affection to 11! "How am I supposed to feed you when you're laying on my stomach?"
Yea..My cat is almost 11 yrs in July..he is still cuddling..but not as much as few years back ..when he was little younger..

CatLover49

All Cats Are Special
Top Cat
Purraise
Smo is the cutest thing I've ever seen in my life, but doesn't like being fussed over too much. She hates being picked up, will not let me hug her, and has never let me hold her in my arms. I have to chase her around to kiss her, so I'm always trotting behind her trying to sneak in a kiss.

On the flipside she makes it clear that I'm her person and in the colder months sleeps on my legs or curled up by my stomach every night. When she's sleepy she's a giant lovebug and kneads/purrs up a storm. Now that it's summer I have to admire her from afar. She is insanely cute and I want to cuddle her for hours but she's just not having it.

Wow...is he yawning in that pic or mad..

CatLover49

All Cats Are Special
Top Cat
Purraise

My cat ..wgen he was younger...hes almost 11 yrs July..was very cuddling...but in last couple years or so..not as much..except on his terms..which is ok..as long as we cuddle...:):hyper::yess::thumbsup::cloud9::petcat::dancingblackcat::purr::dizzycat::whitecat:

Talien

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
20190112_085743.jpg

Patch is around 2 years old and loves to play and loves attention. She'll let you pet her pretty much any time and occasionally comes to visit me infront of my computer, but if you try to pick her up or hold her she freaks out and will scratch the hell out of you trying to get away if you don't put her down.

She will sleep curled up with Alana, but will not sleep near me.
20190304_144924.jpg

CatLover49

All Cats Are Special
Top Cat
Purraise
View attachment 288399
Patch is around 2 years old and loves to play and loves attention. She'll let you pet her pretty much any time and occasionally comes to visit me infront of my computer, but if you try to pick her up or hold her she freaks out and will scratch the hell out of you trying to get away if you don't put her down.

She will sleep curled up with Alana, but will not sleep near me.
View attachment 288400
Beautiful n adorable

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It's just her personality. Some cats, especially females, are a little more standoffish. If you want a cuddler get a neutered male, they are usually a little more lovey. Just get what you can, whenever you can, chasing her around most likely does not make her happy, and accept her for who she is. My Chrissy was like that, would even bite you when she became annoyed, and she was the cat I gave my heart to.......

Maria Bayote

Mama of 4 Cats, 4 Dogs , 2 Budgies & 2 Humans
Top Cat
Purraise
My Bourbon is the same. Not really a cuddlebug. At times she allows me to carry her, kiss her, then off she runs! Nevertheless, she is the only one who sleeps with me every night, situated above my head. Sometimes I wake up with a kiss from her, but when I open my eyes she swats me in the face, runs or appears as if she did not do anything. Such a proud, regal and grumpy queen! Yet, among my cats, she is the one who is positioned in the deepest part of my heart.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

smosmosmo

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
di and bob di and bob I wouldn't trade her for anything. I just feel like Tormund with Brienne, for those who watch Game of Thrones. I love her so much but most of the time she's rolling her cat eyes at me. She was weaned too early and never properly socialized so she likes to bite and slap people, but she never extends her claws with me and mostly nips. She's a sassy one.

@bourbon There's something so lovable about the bratty ones, especially when they show they love you back. A cuddler would be nice, but there's nothing more distracting and hilarious to me than getting slapped by my cat when I'm in a bad mood. And what a treat to feel loved by a curmudgeon...you really know they chose you.

basscat basscat That kitty is definitely sweeter than Smo.

mightyboosh

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oliver is very cuddlesome. Betty is quite cuddlesome but Chubchub is not. He likes to be stroked a little but only on his terms. He seems to be in a permanent state of annoyance and during any stroking he can turn and bite sometimes. It's as if he wants to be cuddled but at the same time not.
He's cute though.

IMG_0620.JPG

Lari

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Lelia is not a super cuddler. She allows pets and neck scritches, but won't climb in your lap for hugs and cuddles. The most affection I get is head butts when she wants to play and I'm not moving fast enough. But unlike my fiancé's cuddlier cat, she will allow belly rubs. And is super gentle. She just runs away when it's too much rather than biting or scratching.

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I wouldn't call Baby Su, who was born feral, "cuddly". She is very loving, but on her own time, in her own way. She gets overstimulated very easily, which she always shows by fluffing up the base of her tail. It's an early-warning system to be ignored at the risk of bites *which I actually like. I know, I'm weird.* But she sleeps with me at night, is very purry, and loves to be on my lap. Just not a lot of handling, thanks.
IMG_1330.JPG
*Baby Su: "I know what I like, and I know when, where, and how I like it. Let ME come to you and we'll be just fine.* :hearthrob::kneading::hearthrob::loveeyes:

Elphaba09

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We have eight cuddle bugs and one who just started sitting on my husband's lap. Freya is a tiny, 4-year-old fractious tamed former feral. We found her when she was roughly 3 months old. She adores my daughter, but it was only in the last few months that she started seeking affection from my husband. She will let me pet her sometimes, although she is very standoffish. She also started playing with two of the other cats. Last year, when we found our baby Silas, Freya started to interact more with us, Silas, and one of the other cats, Astrid, a bit more. Even though Silas is more than twice the size of Freya now, they like to play chase and playfully tackle each other.

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We have eight cuddle bugs and one who just started sitting on my husband's lap. Freya is a tiny, 4-year-old fractious tamed former feral. We found her when she was roughly 3 months old. She adores my daughter, but it was only in the last few months that she started seeking affection from my husband. She will let me pet her sometimes, although she is very standoffish. She also started playing with two of the other cats. Last year, when we found our baby Silas, Freya started to interact more with us, Silas, and one of the other cats, Astrid, a bit more. Even though Silas is more than twice the size of Freya now, they like to play chase and playfully tackle each other.

Another adorable tuxedo feral girl! Glad Freya has come out of her shell and is being a little bit social. She's very sweet (of course! She's FELINE!)