Anyone Else's Cat So Cute But Not Cuddly?

Etarre

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Juniper has 'lap o'clock'-- every day after morning breakfast/playtime, she will put herself to sleep someplace out of the way (behind the curtains, under the bed) for a few hours. Then, right at 4:30, she will emerge and seek out a lap. If one is available, she'll snooze there for another half hour or so, and then it's neighborhood watch time, when she surveils everyone out the window with great seriousness. She enjoys lap sitting in the evenings, too, but that's weather-dependent, and will only happen if there's nothing else more interesting going on (bug patrol, window hijinks, etc.).

Gwen sought out human attention much more consistently throughout the day, but didn't lap sit every day. When she did, though, she'd purr like a motor boat, and flop over on her side. She even enjoyed belly squidges. And she liked it when I'd find her randomly throughout the day and give her a big hug.

Neither has any use for being picked up, and both resist nail clipping like it's the end of the world.

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
@darg Well, he sounds extremely interesting personality-wise, as well as being extremely handsome, of course!
Etarre Etarre That's so unusual of Juniper! Both she and Gwen sound very sweet. It's so true that each cat is a unique individual. *As for claw clipping, that applies here, too. Our beloved Birman princess Tashi used to practically claw me to shreds when I clipped her claws. The process took a long time, with her fighting me every moment. The only reason I persisted is that she needed it for her own good. Her claws were like scimitars, and razor-sharp!*

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I sure do have a cat just like Smo! Ms. Hekitty is...well. She's affectionate, but only on her own terms. She loves to lie on the daybed next to the computer desk, demanding to be stroked and petted, but GOD HELP ME if I want to pick her up or hold her! You'd think I had come after her with blood in my eyes and a knife in my hands! Sometimes at night, she'll jump in my lap while I watch TV, but if I do more than stroke her head, she's gone again. Bedtime is our snuggle time. She nestles in next to me, purring and kneading...for about 15 minutes, then moves to the other side of the bed to sleep! I used to wonder if she loved me at all until I really stopped and noticed that no matter where I am in the house, she's somewhere in the same room. Her love for me is subtle, but very real.

walli

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Joey is not a cuddler, He gets aggressive when I try to brush him
only a few strokes! He likes his ears scratched and under the chin only.
sometimes in the morning I can get a quick hug in there. But he always has to have a place to launch!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

smosmosmo

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
@IronHippo Yes, I feel like Smo has a huge attitude problem but practically she's a pretty great cat. Sleeps most of the time, good litterbox manners, doesn't complain for food, sleeps through the night, doesn't climb counters, doesn't meow incessantly. She's also amazing after the vet (during is another story) and is very good about tolerating strangers and loud noises. She can't help that she's so sassy.

@rosegold You're so lucky they let themselves be handled easily! I could barely get Laxatone on Smo's paws the last time she got constipated. During her last vet visit I heard the worst caterwauling from Smo's exam room and it turned out they were trimming her claws. I shudder to think of doing that at home...just scratch my stuff, Smo. Whatever.

pearl99 pearl99 Smo loves being fussed over in the morning when she's half-asleep - she'll purr getting her tummy kissed and use my leg as a pillow as she kneads me. It's just when she's fully conscious that she goes into brat mode. It's funny though, she never slaps me with her claws out and makes a big show out of going in for a bite so I have time to get away. I know all the kissing annoys her because she doesn't want to smell like people, but she always sits still until she's done being kissed and THEN slaps me. It's definitely love.

@Hellenww You can always tell the bratty ones by their expressions! I love his crazy eyes in the first pic and his little glare in the last one - Smo makes similar faces all the time:

Mamanyt1953 Mamanyt1953 Ms. Hekitty sounds so much like Smo! These gals just know what they want - you gotta love how assertive and headstrong they are.

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
@IronHippo Yes, I feel like Smo has a huge attitude problem but practically she's a pretty great cat. Sleeps most of the time, good litterbox manners, doesn't complain for food, sleeps through the night, doesn't climb counters, doesn't meow incessantly. She's also amazing after the vet (during is another story) and is very good about tolerating strangers and loud noises. She can't help that she's so sassy.

@rosegold You're so lucky they let themselves be handled easily! I could barely get Laxatone on Smo's paws the last time she got constipated. During her last vet visit I heard the worst caterwauling from Smo's exam room and it turned out they were trimming her claws. I shudder to think of doing that at home...just scratch my stuff, Smo. Whatever.

pearl99 pearl99 Smo loves being fussed over in the morning when she's half-asleep - she'll purr getting her tummy kissed and use my leg as a pillow as she kneads me. It's just when she's fully conscious that she goes into brat mode. It's funny though, she never slaps me with her claws out and makes a big show out of going in for a bite so I have time to get away. I know all the kissing annoys her because she doesn't want to smell like people, but she always sits still until she's done being kissed and THEN slaps me. It's definitely love.

@Hellenww You can always tell the bratty ones by their expressions! I love his crazy eyes in the first pic and his little glare in the last one - Smo makes similar faces all the time:

Mamanyt1953 Mamanyt1953 Ms. Hekitty sounds so much like Smo! These gals just know what they want - you gotta love how assertive and headstrong they are.
:yeah:

CatsFurever

elsa♡ rio♡ puma♡ kai♡
Adult Cat
Purraise
this is Elsa.

she only comes to me when she wants to. if i, or anyone, tries to pick her up or stroke her, she gets aggressive. She's like this since we adopted her.
I don't know why she's like this, she has always had behaviour problems. She bites and scratches a lot. Nothing can stop her.
About two years ago, i was stroking her head and she attacked me. i screamed, telling her to let me go but she had her teeth right in my veins, on my wrist. it bled for about three hours.. i was fine, though, i still have scars.
she growls and hisses ALL the time! it's really rare to see her wanting to be petted. i swear whenever she sits beside me i feel like she's gonna attack me anytime...
she's 2 years and few months old now, and i still can't figure out why she's like this

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
this is Elsa.

she only comes to me when she wants to. if i, or anyone, tries to pick her up or stroke her, she gets aggressive. She's like this since we adopted her.
I don't know why she's like this, she has always had behaviour problems. She bites and scratches a lot. Nothing can stop her.
About two years ago, i was stroking her head and she attacked me. i screamed, telling her to let me go but she had her teeth right in my veins, on my wrist. it bled for about three hours.. i was fine, though, i still have scars.
she growls and hisses ALL the time! it's really rare to see her wanting to be petted. i swear whenever she sits beside me i feel like she's gonna attack me anytime...
she's 2 years and few months old now, and i still can't figure out why she's like this
Elsa was probably born feral and may (or may not) have experience of human abuse. My feral girl (Baby Su, my avatar right now) was born feral and she may bite and/or scratch. I let her come to me. She is very affectionate and loving with me. She's only bonded to me, hides from other people, and tolerates Tarifa, but is scared of Elvis.

Talien

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
this is Elsa.

It's possible it could be a mental or neurological issue. Animals can experience mental problems just like humans, but it's a lot harder to diagnose since they can't tell you what they're feeling.

Steph42q

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I sure do have a cat just like Smo! Ms. Hekitty is...well. She's affectionate, but only on her own terms. She loves to lie on the daybed next to the computer desk, demanding to be stroked and petted, but GOD HELP ME if I want to pick her up or hold her! You'd think I had come after her with blood in my eyes and a knife in my hands! Sometimes at night, she'll jump in my lap while I watch TV, but if I do more than stroke her head, she's gone again. Bedtime is our snuggle time. She nestles in next to me, purring and kneading...for about 15 minutes, then moves to the other side of the bed to sleep! I used to wonder if she loved me at all until I really stopped and noticed that no matter where I am in the house, she's somewhere in the same room. Her love for me is subtle, but very real.
My Kiernan is similar. She's not a lap cat, but is definitely my little shadow. Closing a door behind her is not allowed! And her affection is very much on her own terms. She'll often move away if I sit next to her, but if I'm sitting down, she'll come and shove her head into my hand, chirruping and demanding to be petted. :hearthrob: She's very different from the kind of cat I thought I wanted, yet somehow we ended up suiting each other perfectly.

CatsFurever

elsa♡ rio♡ puma♡ kai♡
Adult Cat
Purraise
Elsa was probably born feral and may (or may not) have experience of human abuse. My feral girl (Baby Su, my avatar right now) was born feral and she may bite and/or scratch. I let her come to me. She is very affectionate and loving with me. She's only bonded to me, hides from other people, and tolerates Tarifa, but is scared of Elvis.
i found Elsa on street near my house, asked everyone around the neighbourhood if she was someone else's but everyone said they've never seen her. Maybe someone abandoned her? i don't know. i just stroked her head and picked her up and she started purring so loudly

this picture was taken on her first day with us:

CatsFurever

elsa♡ rio♡ puma♡ kai♡
Adult Cat
Purraise
It's possible it could be a mental or neurological issue. Animals can experience mental problems just like humans, but it's a lot harder to diagnose since they can't tell you what they're feeling.
she has been to the vet, but the vet didn't mentioned anything like that. Everything's fine, she's just not nice..

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
i found Elsa on street near my house, asked everyone around the neighbourhood if she was someone else's but everyone said they've never seen her. Maybe someone abandoned her? i don't know. i just stroked her head and picked her up and she started purring so loudly

this picture was taken on her first day with us:
Ah. So she wasn't born feral -- if she was, she wouldn't have let you stroke her and pick her up so quickly. She may have had bad experiences associated with humans. So glad and grateful she found you!

CatsFurever

elsa♡ rio♡ puma♡ kai♡
Adult Cat
Purraise
Ah. So she wasn't born feral -- if she was, she wouldn't have let you stroke her and pick her up so quickly. She may have had bad experiences associated with humans. So glad and grateful she found you!
maybe you're right. there's a woman who lives near my house, her kids throw pebbles at every cat they see! and she says that "it's no big deal, they're little kids". They're not THAT little they're 11-14 year olds.
My indoor-outdoor cat, Oreo, also was injured because of them. If they don't throw pebbles, they chase the cats until the cat gets hit by a car or something. Seriously. My cat, Twix, almost got ran over but the man, who was driving the car, stopped. Twix sadly passed away, though. Guess what? She actually got ran over. A lady in the neighbourhood, who knew Twix was my cat, was going somewhere, she came back and informed me that there's a "dead Tortoiseshell kitty" on the road...
The annoying thing is, those kids' mum laughs at them and praises them when they do such things.
What i want to say is, maybe those kids tried to harm Elsa before i adopted her.. even though she's so mean, i can never imagine my life without her!

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
maybe you're right. there's a woman who lives near my house, her kids throw pebbles at every cat they see! and she says that "it's no big deal, they're little kids". They're not THAT little they're 11-14 year olds.
My indoor-outdoor cat, Oreo, also was injured because of them. If they don't throw pebbles, they chase the cats until the cat gets hit by a car or something. Seriously. My cat, Twix, almost got ran over but the man, who was driving the car, stopped. Twix sadly passed away, though. Guess what? She actually got ran over. A lady in the neighbourhood, who knew Twix was my cat, was going somewhere, she came back and informed me that there's a "dead Tortoiseshell kitty" on the road...
The annoying thing is, those kids' mum laughs at them and praises them when they do such things.
What i want to say is, maybe those kids tried to harm Elsa before i adopted her.. even though she's so mean, i can never imagine my life without her!
Those people are sociopaths. It is a felony to harm ANY cat in the US. They need to be reported, prosecuted, and punished. I advocate for capital punishment for anyone wilfully harming any cat, as was law in ancient Egypt and should be law everywhere.

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Cruelty to animals often escalates to violence against people as the child gets older if they aren’t taught proper respect for life and living beings. It’s a warning sign and it should be reported to the authorities. If you can get a phone video or mount a security camera, bringing charges and prosecution is probably the only way you will get through to this mother and her sociopaths.

Talien

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Report them to the Police. If they don't send someone just keep reporting them every time you see it happening, they eventually will send someone if they keep getting reports about it. If you manage to record them doing it then go to the station and make a report in person with your video evidence.