Anyone Else's Cat So Cute But Not Cuddly?

Zigmont

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Every cat is different.

In general though, most prey animals would not be happy with leaving their feet not of their own will as that's usually a prelude to being eaten. Same with being chased. She doesn't know you're just looking for a kiss. In the wild, animals that show too much interest in another animal either want to eat or mate with that other animal. It's actually not that different with people. :D

How old is smo? Cats mellow with age and often get more affectionate. She may never like being picked up or chased. But she may seek you out for affection on her terms more often.

Does she free feed? If she has to seek you out for meals, that's when Krista turns up her affection to 11! "How am I supposed to feed you when you're laying on my stomach?"
Agreed. Cats are very sensitive. My mom, who is 90, and very spiritually aware, says, “Dogs are here to be our companions, but cats are here to teach us.” They need trust and to come to us.

IronHippo

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Marple has never been a cuddler, but she's very passive/tolerant--she takes the "this too shall pass" stance to most things she doesn't actually like, such as being picked up, getting her nails clipped, or getting dressed in strange outfits. We worked her up to getting more relaxed with being held by not holding her any longer than she was OK with and rewarding her with treats. But she has never been a lap cat and in fact won't really touch you unless it's a dire emergency (e.g. it's almost breakfast and she thinks we've overslept).

I feel you! But we've come to accept that Marple is Marple. Besides, she makes up for her non-cuddliness by being a very good girl--never gets into things, doesn't chew this she isn't supposed to, rarely uses claws, and the only time she's stolen human food is when we've left a roast chicken unattended. She may not be cuddly but she is special in her own way, and I'm sure Smo is, too!

Radish, on the other hand...he willingly goes into laps but is almost the opposite of Marple in every other way. But still, special in his own way. Even though he chewed a hole through a shoebox I was going to donate.

rosegold

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Neither of my girls are super cuddly either, but they’re both very gentle and tolerant, so I can pick them up and kiss them all over their faces and tummies and they’d never scratch or bite, or even wiggle very much. They also are both absolute angels when it comes to brushing, tooth brushing, nail trims... I think I’m pretty lucky in that respect! I can even hold Clove like a baby and she just flops upside down and tries to grab things that we walk past. But she prefers to be on the ground running around and getting attention on her own terms. If they start swishing tails or meowing then I put them down. I try to just respect their individual “personal bubble” and I find that they become more affectionate once they know I’m not going to restrain them. :) Chilli woke me up this morning by meowing in my face, cuddling and purring for 1.5 minutes, and then running away.

pearl99

Pearl, my labrador who loved cats. RIP.
Top Cat
Purraise
My previous cat Milkshake was not a cuddler and didn't like to be picked up, she had to sit beside me when she wanted to only, and not on my lap but beside me. But she loved to be brushed and would come running when I opened the brush drawer. She wouldn't have liked to be gone after to be kissed LOL.
Does Smo like chin and cheek scratches? Maybe ignore her some and see if she comes to you. Tough I know when you just want to squeeze them liddle furrkids.

Luna92

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I used to wish my kitten would be more cuddly (she'd sleep in my bed behind my head and accept chest strokes but never head strokes). I looked up online and someone recommended ignoring them for a day, as in still taking care of them but not giving them strokes and such. It definitely worked now she comes to me on her terms which is apparently all the time, she sits on my laptop, loves head strokes, jumps on my lap...(when I'm on the toilet) and if I ever leave her when I come back she'll climb in to my arms and let me carry her until she falls asleep.

I may have created a monster, though I'm sure it has more to do with her getting older, and she was raised with young children so she probably trust that I won't pull her ears. I secretly love it she'll even give me nose kisses when I kiss her, I could do without the toilet part though.

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I used to wish my kitten would be more cuddly (she'd sleep in my bed behind my head and accept chest strokes but never head strokes). I looked up online and someone recommended ignoring them for a day, as in still taking care of them but not giving them strokes and such. It definitely worked now she comes to me on her terms which is apparently all the time, she sits on my laptop, loves head strokes, jumps on my lap...(when I'm on the toilet) and if I ever leave her when I come back she'll climb in to my arms and let me carry her until she falls asleep.

I may have created a monster, though I'm sure it has more to do with her getting older, and she was raised with young children so she probably trust that I won't pull her ears. I secretly love it she'll even give me nose kisses when I kiss her, I could do without the toilet part though.
My cats have always loved having their ears (very gently) pulled.

Luna92

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
*No extra charge for that* as my mom would say. I guess some cats don't care for it but in my experience, a LOT of cats love it!
Haha no extra charge, I like that and will be stealing it, though in this case I think I paid in full.

Hellenww

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Our Sqeeker is the cutest thing but has very set limits on when and where cuddles are permitted. Early in the morning, on the back of my chair, or while eating. He asks for pets more often since starting the rescue remedy.

ZZ Get off my Lawn.JPG

Luckily he has a brother who gives him lots of cuddles.

zzz Huggz.JPG

zzz Mousey Love.JPG

My cats have always loved having their ears (very gently) pulled.
We had a girl who decided at 9yr that she wanted her ears sucked on.

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Our Sqeeker is the cutest thing but has very set limits on when and where cuddles are permitted. Early in the morning, on the back of my chair, or while eating. He asks for pets more often since starting the rescue remedy.

View attachment 288696

Luckily he has a brother who gives him lots of cuddles.

View attachment 288697

View attachment 288698

We had a girl who decided at 9yr that she wanted her ears sucked on.
Those are some of the cutest cats and pix I've EVER seen, Hellenww Hellenww ! *And should I ask?* :lolup:

Hellenww

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
He's adorable and very photogenic but even looking at him makes him scream and run away.

Snicky would stick the tip of her eat on my lip and purr like crazy if I nibbled it a little. The was the queen so she got what she wanted.

danteshuman

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Tarasgirl06 Cami is a super passive sweetheart. Almost anyone can pick her up and hold belly up like a baby and she won’t protest unless you squeeze..... but she doesn’t enjoy it. She can be pet but seems to tire of it after a few minutes. On the other hand she comes running if she hears her name, loves water and will happily sleep 6-12 inches from you.
Here is my favorite pick of her if you can ignore my twerp/her brother Jackie photobombing her.
4801ED1F-CF28-49F6-9609-22EE88A5455B.jpeg

I also included a pic of her sleeping on me when she was a kitten and a picture of the poor dear being manhandled by my rambunctious niece. The ragdoll runs strong in her! Luckily my mom gets her snuggles from her other brother Nick and the grumpy ‘grandpa’ champion bed snuggler; so she is generally free to love us from afar!

Attachments

darg

Gizmo
Alpha Cat
Purraise
My cat's a nut case. He's pretty much had me guessing for 12 years. Still don't have him figured out. Doesn't mind being picked up as long as it's not for too long. Likes being pet when he want's to be pet. You cannot tell by whether he's purring or not. Sometimes he purrs and doesn't want you to touch him, other times he won't purr but is enjoying the heck out of it. The way he moves his tail is never a "tell". He'll give you the impatient tail twitch/swoosh even when he's enjoying the attention and other times he'll give you happy tail when he doesn't want to be bothered. There is almost no way to tell what he wants until you go to pet him. Doesn't curl up close in bed but will sometimes curl up at my feet in the recliner, mostly in the colder months. Loves my wifes recliner (again, in the colder months) which sits next to mine so he will sometimes climb on my stomach and lay there for a few minutes, staring at my wife. But that's strictly manipulative, "get out of my chair" behavior, not "I enjoy laying on your tummy" behavior.

He has always had nystagmus and the vet and I both believe that he is not exactly right in the head but it's been that way since he was a kitten. She attributes it as likely to over-breeding but who knows. Bottom line though is that he really is a bit of a nut case. We still love him like crazy. He's just a quirky little dude.