Anyone Else Have Nobody

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

daisyd

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thank you ! Going to be skint however it’s going to be mine and Gracie’s ...

daisyd

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh god I’m prepared now for her lying in her litter box for days , crying and not eating !! It took 5 weeks last time for her to settle !

arouetta

Slave of Bastet's acolytes
Top Cat
Purraise
Crazy as it sounds, subsequent moves are easier for cats than the first move. Even my scaredy cat has gotten to walking through the house (belly low) within an hour or two, and then finding a familiar piece of furniture to lie on pretty quickly.

dustydiamond1

Minion to Gypsy since October 2016
Top Cat
Purraise
So update: Gracie completely settled in our halfway home little does she realise I have found us a forever home ! Yes I’ve taken a direction never thought I would and have a mortgage and we are moving into a little one bed apartment in a few weeks . I’m nervous as hell however I’ve (we - Gracie and I ) have come a long way x
:clap::salam::clap2::woohoo::jive:

dustydiamond1

Minion to Gypsy since October 2016
Top Cat
Purraise
If you have never seen or read this book you should get it. It is available on Amazon and I guess there is now a third edition of it. I have the first one.
The Verbally Abusive Relationship: How to Recognize It and How to Respond

A lot of what you are describing is what is called verbal abuse. The author of this book goes through the many techniques that abusers use. A lot of times they learned it when they were little and now use it as a means of controlling people. Once you learn what they are doing and see the patterns you can defend yourself against it. The author breaks them down into categories. Things like "reality warping" which is essentially someone saying you don't know what your talking about, what you see and hear is not what happens. And then there is "power over". Anyway, it is a very enlightening book. It brings out that most verbal abuse victims don't even realize what is going on. The abuse starts out subtle and then escalates and you don't even realize what has happened.
I know all of this from personal experience. My former wife became more and more verbally abusive as the years went by to both me and our 3 children. And when that didn't work so good anymore she became physically abusive. I went over this book with the kids, talking about a lot of the points and it helped then to cope with abuse. Almost all the time an abuser tries to make the victim responsible for the abuse. They deserve it because they are bad in some way. This is how abusers take power and control over someone. The victim deserves it. A simple example of that is someone saying "you better not do that or your going to make me mad". To a normal person that is an expression that lets you know your annoying someone, please stop. To an abuser its them placing blame on you for them getting mad at you. They hurt you because you made them do it. You give them permission to hurt you because they can't control the anger that you spark in them. Your the bad person, they are the good person and they just gave you what you deserved. The victim is always left to believe that they deserve the abuse. This book helps you to understand that you don't deserve to be treated like a lesser person and that the abuser is the one with the problem and not you.
For me? Well my wife kidnapped the kids and left. She actually had the nerve to go to a shelter and tell them that she was fleeing an abusive husband. In talking to the kids the workers got very confused because they told the kids that they were safe there and they didn't need to be afraid of their dad. The kids tried to tell them that she was the one they were afraid of. It took several years of really bad stuff (my dad said I should write a book about it because it was better than anything that was on TV) but she was found out and I was given custody of the kids after she was convicted of child abuse. So I know this topic inside and out. I recommend that you get a copy and read through it. It might help. There is an electronic version on Amazon
And I have now said way more about me than I ever intended but maybe in some way it might help you.
:grouphug: :hearthrob::redheartpump: :grouphug2:

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Oh god I’m prepared now for her lying in her litter box for days , crying and not eating !! It took 5 weeks last time for her to settle !
Maybe. But also maybe not. This time Gracie will pick up all your happy (stress) feelings, and maybe will not get so stressed herself. :hearthrob:

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
That's good news!

When I first moved to this part of Japan with Mu, a feral kitten I'd rescued a year earlier, we stayed in a relative's home. The relative was only there for an hour or so every morning, but the house was full of her and her grown children's things. Mu was very nervous and spent most of the 4 weeks we were there hiding in various wardrobes and cupboards. I started to worry she'd gone back to her feral state.

We eventually found a place of our own, got all of our stuff out of storage and moved in and the change in Mu was almost immediate. She was like "Oh, we're home now!" walking around and cheek rubbing everything.

They know where their homes are. If you feel like this new place is for you and Gracie, she'll feel that way too.

daisyd

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
This is great news! Glad to hear things are going well for you and Gracie! I take it you got rid of butt head! :lol:
Funny enough he texted last night asking for money !!!

vyger

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
If I may be allowed to make a suggestion about that. In my experience the best thing to do is not answer at all. There is the tendency to want to gloat, it's natural to do that after someone "gets what they deserve". But even something as simple as a "no, go away", opens the door for them to work on you and start pushing buttons. The next thing you know you will start feeling bad about something they say and that is exactly what they want to accomplish. Besides, ignoring them is one of the most infuriating things you can do to them. They believe they have the right to talk with you, they deserve it, they are entitled to communicate with you and you are required to respond to them. Once again its a abuse tactic called power over. It implies you don't have the right to not talk to them. Saying nothing and not responding in any way tells them they have no power over you. It drives them crazy. Some may try and tell you that you are being passive/aggressive but the truth is your taking back your life and saying you have the right to not talk to someone. And you do, period. Just because they are alive and exist doesn't mean you have an obligation to deal with them.

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You are making your way back from a hard place. Don’t backtrack! Answering is just giving them a way to get back under your skin. Nothing good can come of it either way. I have come very near to walking in your shoes many ways. I am alone. I am much older than you now but I was once in situations that reflect what I have been reading here. It may be hard to resist having a connection with another human in the way you must have felt connected to him. I was married once. When it ended I was alone with a quadriplegic baby. ( other babies had been lost) Her Dad had turned to booze and anger. To keep our daughter safe I slipped out after he passed out one night. I had only my child, a diaper bag and a cat. I was responsible for everything from then on. I started a life for my daughter and cat. Over the years the struggle to provide was hard and lonely. I had almost no opportunities to meet people. The couple of times I did it became serious but failed. Each time the man tried to start something up again. Sometimes with just a call, sometimes a plea for help and sometimes by “ dropping by to check on us.” It was always the same ending. They wanted something from me that was not good. I can’t say I have given up on finding someone to share my life with even now. I can say that I know not to let history repeat itself. I am even more alone now. My daughter and my reason for living died at 29. Her Dad killed himself five months before she died. I continue on. I have built a life and a home. I built a business from nothing. I have had gains and losses. I discovered one VERY important thing. No matter what else is going on in my life , I am responsible for producing my own happiness. That’s not to say I don’t have my down times but I make a point to stop and look around. You have a new start. You have a life and your wonderful cat friend. Look outside at the amazing beauty all around you. The sky, stars, sunrise or set. How wonderful is a deep breath during the coming of a fresh rain? Life is grand! Don’t turn back. Go forward to something fresh and new. The world is always a new adventure for each of us. Old friends may go but new ones will come. New ones are here right now supporting you and praising your new world. Excitement in life awaits you. Grab it and take that wonderful ride forward. I am still around to tell you that more good things are coming. If you ever feel alone again, just let me know. I will keep you from being alone. People really do care about you. Good people! They are right here. I am very glad you posted that original message. It showed you have great courage. You are strong but you are not ever alone. Not as long as you tell someone.:hellocomputer:

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Jcatbird Jcatbird xxxx thank you x you’ve given me strength just knowing it is possible to carry on regardless
You are most welcome. Xxxxx. It is possible and can lead to amazing things even though we neither see or feel them at the time. After all it lead me to you and you are amazing! Just keep posting. I want to know how things are going for you. Up and up I hope! PM me if you ever wish to. I will answer. I am an old cat with lots of tricks. Perhaps I can make you smile. Lol Xxxxx:heartshape::winkcat:

micknsnicks2mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
So update: Gracie completely settled in our halfway home little does she realise I have found us a forever home ! Yes I’ve taken a direction never thought I would and have a mortgage and we are moving into a little one bed apartment in a few weeks . I’m nervous as hell however I’ve (we - Gracie and I ) have come a long way x
this is really wonderful news!! well done!!! :yess: