Any Ideas When My Cat Will Give Birth?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

RejoiceErb

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Oh sorry I don’t want to confuse you; when I said “also do you have any tips as to how I can tell them apart?” I meant like to identify each one. Not gender. Sorry about that.. sounded confusing. But before that when I asked if it was easier to tell when they are younger or older, I meant gender. I’m sorry lol!

Safaria

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
You could use nail polish and mark the tip of their tails a different color thats what amyq did when her cat had kittens just look for her forum called pregnant ragdoll day 57 it should be on the first page or so
Also you can tell the gender at 3 weeks if you look it up it will show you how to tell

Safaria

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Is a marker safe?
I looked it up a washable marker is safe but it will wash off when momma licks it so
Id try using a colored sharpie and doing a little dot in each armpit and momma wont lick it off and ingest the sharpie
Dont use to much marker just a little dot or stripe you dont want to hurt momma or the kitten by using to much toxic ink on them you know

RejoiceErb

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Ok, I’ll try that! Thank you!

AmyQ

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi. I used a dab of nail varnish on the end of the tails for the first 2 weeks and I've just switched to the safety Velcro whelping collars, they come in a pack of different colours, washable and reusable. Your babies are beautiful and I agree you could have a couple of mink! Best of luck. Mine are 2 weeks and 2 days now and up and about causing trouble already haha. My thread is quite long but have a read if you have time. I'll be watching for your updates and more gorgeous pics!

RejoiceErb

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi thank you! Lol I know how kittens are! They always find something to play with! Can I see pictures of your kittens? I will read your thread if I can figure out how to find it lol new to TCS

RejoiceErb

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi. I used a dab of nail varnish on the end of the tails for the first 2 weeks and I've just switched to the safety Velcro whelping collars, they come in a pack of different colours, washable and reusable. Your babies are beautiful and I agree you could have a couple of mink! Best of luck. Mine are 2 weeks and 2 days now and up and about causing trouble already haha. My thread is quite long but have a read if you have time. I'll be watching for your updates and more gorgeous pics!
You said that collars are reusable, but don’t you have to cut them to fit each kitten? Just wondering, thanks!

RejoiceErb

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Update:
Kittens are now living their third day of life. All six are doing wonderful and I not sure but I think I can see a hint of gray on some of their ears. All are very plump and active! And mother couldn’t be better:) I weighed them yesterday in ounces and they all weighed just around four ounces; some a little more❤ At around what age should I expect their eyes to open? Also around when should I see their color coming in? Thank you guys so much! ❤

AmyQ

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
The collars do cut to size yeah, they come as a long strip so you can get a few of different sizes out of each colour as the kittens grow and reuse them for future litters. When your sizing them, make sure you can get 2 fingers under it, and make sure there's only a tiny overlap, the idea is that if a paw gets caught under it the pressure will easily detach the collar.
Yes my lot the colour was coming in after a few days! I didn't expect it so soon!

RejoiceErb

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
OK thanks! Since my scale only measures in ounces, do I need something more precise?

RejoiceErb

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Has any of your kittens ever gotten their paw stuck in them collar?

RejoiceErb

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
The collar sorry :/

RejoiceErb

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Would hair ties work to identify the kittens? I am still very cautious putting anything around the little ones necks.

lutece

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
OK thanks! Since my scale only measures in ounces, do I need something more precise?
Generally with very young babies I record weights to the nearest 1/4 oz. They should be gaining at least 1/4 oz per day, and preferably 1/2 oz per day. Babies with a very fast weight gain may gain 3/4 oz in a day.

golondrina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
A healthy kitten will weigh three to four ounces at birth. Kittens should begin to gain weight rapidly a few days after birth, and should double their weight by one week. A continuous weight gain of approximately 1/2 ounce a day is one indication of a healthy kitten.

Last edited:

RejoiceErb

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
OK, well at birth I will show you the weights of kittens at birth and today:
#1. 3 oz
#2. 4 oz
#3. 4 oz
#4. 4 oz
#5. 3 oz
#6. 4 oz
Now here is their weights today:
#1. 4 oz
#2. 4 oz
#3. 5 oz
#4. 5 oz
#5. 4 oz
#6. 5 oz
So it seem that they all gained an ounce besides #2. That could have just been that he hadn’t gained a full ounce yet. I’ll keep weighing them daily.

AmyQ

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I prefer grams but oz are fine as long as you know what your measuring. No mine haven't got stuck because I only have a 3mm overlap so they just pop off. Definitely would never use hairbands, they could easily get twisted and strangle or asphixiate them.

RejoiceErb

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
OK thank you!