Anxiety about neutering Beau…

Shawna87

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hello everyone, my sweet kitty Beau is getting neutered tomorrow and I have been having such bad anxiety about it. He’s almost 6 months old and the sweetest kitty I have had. He’s helped my other cat Lucy so much and brought so much happiness to her life and mine.

I was doing research on caring for a neutered cat and read somewhere that someone’s cat passed away during the neuter. This story has caused me such bad anxiety about neutering him. I love him so much and want what’s best for him but am so worried about something happening to him during his neuter.

I am a naturally an anxious person and am being treated for anxiety so maybe my anxiety is just getting the best of me.

Is this something I need to be concerned about? Does anyone have any good experiences or advice about neutering?

Here’s my sweet boy cuddling with Lucy

Attachments

tabbytom

Happiness is being owned by a cat
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
I am a naturally an anxious person and am being treated for anxiety so maybe my anxiety is just getting the best of me.

Is this something I need to be concerned about? Does anyone have any good experiences or advice about neutering?
We understand your anxiety but it is pretty safe when a cat goes for neutering surgery. The unlikely cases are very few in between.

Here are some articles for you to read and also a reply I responded to a member what to look for after his cat was neutered.

spaying-and-neutering-what-to-ask-before-the-surgery

spaying-and-neutering-what-to-look-for-after-surgery

Ray reply to another member :- is-it-infected.441264

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Shawna87

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
If it helps alleviate some of your anxiety, tabbytom tabbytom gave you helpful information. TCS is an advocate of spaying/neutering so please be assured you are doing what's best for Beau. I would recommend writing down all your questions for the vet beforehand. Also neutering a male is a simpler surgery than spaying a female so that should make you feel more comfortable too. All the best of luck, please keep us posted after Beau comes home to let us know how he's doing. :alright:

Salamino Mom

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Just in case you are super worried like me, maybe you can leave your cat in the vet clinic for a day or two after surgery as we did,
although it is not really necessary because it is a simple surgery for male cat. My main concern was to restrict his movement in case the wound had not yet healed. We did it when Salamino just turned 5 months. He was a bit tired after the surgery but recovered very well. Here is him at that time

Attachments

Shawna87

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thank you everyone for your help and comforting words. Beau did very well and has been healing very good. It’s been impossible to keep him settled since he’s a kitten but his incisions are looking very good! Thank you everyone again! This community has been so good for me and my kitties!

Attachments

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
Thank you everyone for your help and comforting words. Beau did very well and has been healing very good. This community has been so good for me and my kitties!
You're entirely welcome and I'm glad to hear Beau did so well with his neutering procedure. :thumbsup: The pic of him dozing off to sleep in the sun is angelic. I agree, TCS is a truly wonderful site for people who love their kitties.:hearthrob::redheartpump::hearthrob:

Shawna87

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hello everyone, I just noticed today that blood has started coming out from Beaus incisions. I haven’t been using a cone for him and he licks them occasionally but not much that I’ve noticed. Is there normal? Do I need to take him back to the vet? I’m super worried about it. Thank you in advance!

tabbytom

Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
I just noticed today that blood has started coming out from Beaus incisions.
Can you see if the incision is opened? I mean as in really open. A little blood seems normal as the surgery site is filled with blood after surgery and will subside in a week or two.

You can call the vet and check with them too and hear what they say if you want to be sure about it.

Shawna87

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Can you see if the incision is opened? I mean as in really open. A little blood seems normal as the surgery site is filled with blood after surgery and will subside in a week or two.

You can call the vet and check with them too and hear what they say if you want to be sure about it.
The incision doesn’t look to be open to me. When I dabbed his incision with a tissue it was just a few dots of blood. However I’ve been noticing it he sits in one spot for awhile there will be like a drop of blood where he sat. I’ve only noticed this twice but it really concerned me. I didn’t realize a little blood was normal. Thank you so much for informing me of that. This is the first male kitten that wasn’t neutered when adopted that I’ve had since a child and my other one was a female so everything with neutering is very new to me still. Thank you for the information!

tabbytom

Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
The incision doesn’t look to be open to me. When I dabbed his incision with a tissue it was just a few dots of blood. However I’ve been noticing it he sits in one spot for awhile there will be like a drop of blood where he sat. I’ve only noticed this twice but it really concerned me. I didn’t realize a little blood was normal.
If the incision is not opened and exposing the inside, little concern here for the few drops of blood unless the surgery site is bleeding non stop.
The incision will close up and self heal so don’t worry too much unless the unexpected happens.

Shawna87

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
If the incision is not opened and exposing the inside, little concern here for the few drops of blood unless the surgery site is bleeding non stop.
The incision will close up and self heal so don’t worry too much unless the unexpected happens.
Here is a photo of the incisions. You can see some blood near the cuts but I don’t see it really open.

Attachments

tabbytom

Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
You can see some blood near the cuts but I don’t see it really open.
If it's not really opened, I think it's ok. What I'm afraid is that the surgery site splits open, then it is a problem. Keep the neutered site clean and dry and let the blood clot on that area. Just watch for any yellow pus and stench as this is a sign of infection.

If the blood just a drop or two and not like dripping non stop, I wouldn't be concern but to make sure that the site is ok, send the photo to the vet and ask them what they think about it.

Shawna87

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
If it's not really opened, I think it's ok. What I'm afraid is that the surgery site splits open, then it is a problem. Keep the neutered site clean and dry and let the blood clot on that area. Just watch for any yellow pus and stench as this is a sign of infection.

If the blood just a drop or two and not like dripping non stop, I wouldn't be concern but to make sure that the site is ok, send the photo to the vet and ask them what they think about it.
I was told by the vet to not touch or clean the site. How do you recommend cleaning it? He’s been licking it occasionally but not too much. I’ve tried the cone on him but he’s not a fan of it.

thank you so much for your help! It’s been so appreciated! 🥰

tabbytom

Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
How do you recommend cleaning it?
Use a warm lightly damp lint free towel and gently dab the area will do especially after he pee or poo as litter dust has bacteria on them. No hard scrubbing. As long as the site is clean and dry, the healing will be faster.

It's ok for him to lick a little as he is bothered by the sensation of being neutered. No cone is also ok. My boy kicked off the cone the very minute he reached home.