Andy And The Feral Cat Shelter

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
First of all, it is common for female cats that are related or good friends to co-rear a litter of kittens. However, they usually both have kittens at the same time.

There is something called a psuedopregnancy, where cats produce milk without kittens.

Is it possible that Tyger had kittens longer than six months ago and is now helping to nurse the new litter?

As you don't know for sure and as there may be kittens that are relying solely on Tyger for milk, I think it would be best if you released her ASAP. There is very little chance of the kittens ripping open her stitches. I've spayed feral mothers when the kittens were around 8 weeks old. They went back to caring for the litter and the spay healed up without any problems.

Just keep an eye on her. If she seems unwell or you notice any bleeding you may need to trap her again.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Q2U

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Thank you for the advice; much appreciated.

Here is the recovery “tent” environment we set up for her. Fresh food and water and clean-up all spills or messes regularly. The fan at the end of the tent pulls air through the tent (it does not blow air on her) and the “tent” is under a canopy so direct sunlight never hits her tent. The fan is set on low so the breeze which is pulled through the tent is quite gentle. The atmosphere inside the tent is cool and comfortable, and many degrees lower than the ambient temperature...it seems very comfortable when I extend my arm inside the tent...

B99FDFDE-3E51-419F-9719-19FD5741D919.jpeg

5D20F9FE-2DE6-431C-9AC2-D5DA0CEEC7B7.jpeg

Q2U

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
...it is common for female cats that are related or good friends to co-rear a litter of kitten...
I keep reading that cats “are not social animals,” that cats “are loners,” but that’s not what I’m seeing day in and day out. I see members of our colony who are “friends,” members who look after each other’s children, who appear to enjoy each others company and who express affection for each other.

I understand the concept of anthropomorphism, but damn!...these colony members are complex social beings who depend on each other...and who have come to depend on me. I think I’m being assimilated into the colony.

F3A3D622-E5F6-4833-94A2-9B541A338AA8.png

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My cat Demi is definitely social. He loves other cats. He would like 10 brothers and sisters.

Q2U

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
We released Ms. Tyger 24 hours after she was spayed, and she’s doing fine. Her forehead wound is healing nicely and her appetite is huge (it always was). Number three to be TNR’d is Mr. “Bee”, and he will get released later today after being neutered yesterday…

89BAF6D1-ED1D-428E-8A44-588F2E1C6DC0.jpeg

Q2U

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
That picture does not do Bee justice...he’s a handsome boy...

73F7BDCF-FA44-4FC5-B37B-84DAB37F2794.jpeg

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
That's good, I'm glad to hear Ms Tyger is doing well. Bee is stunning! Now you're sure it's a boy this time?

:crazy:

Q2U

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
...Bee is stunning! Now you're sure it's a boy this time?
Bee was neutered yesterday and the clinic confirmed he is a male. Much like Fluff, Bee is mellow and not not skittish nor afraid; My guess is that he’s a stray. He’s a VERY nice cat. I asked the clinic to check him for a chip but they advised me that they couldn’t locate one on him. :-(

Q2U

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Here's the TNR Command Post; I'm telling ya, this system makes trapping these guys easy as pie...

Command Post Crop.jpg

Q2U

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Two for the price of one this evening!
smiley20.gif

Here's video of two of Midnight's kittens (Litter #2: white footed "Uno" & Andy look-alike "Dos") getting trapped early this evening. They will be neutered/spayed tomorrow. Remember -- when you watch Youtube video -- always adjust your Youtube "Quality" setting to high definition (720p or 1080p)...

Q2U

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
It took me several minutes to get out there to cover the trap this time. The trap cover always seems to calm them down considerably; sorry about that guys! I'll try to be quicker next time!
smiley6.gif

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
Good work!

Is your vet able to deal with 2 cats in the same trap? What happens when you get them to the clinic, can you separate the cats with a divider so they can be sedated?

Having see all your other cool gadgets I guess you have something you can slide into the trap to keep the cats still while they're given their injections. How does the vet work out how much sedative to give each cat? Just guess work on their body weights?

• Purraise
Reactions: Q2U

Q2U

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Is your vet able to deal with 2 cats in the same trap? What happens when you get them to the clinic, can you separate the cats with a divider so they can be sedated?...How does the vet work out how much sedative to give each cat? Just guess work on their body weights?
Great questions, and frankly I don't have the answers.
smiley5.gif

This is a new clinic we are using which takes vouchers given to us by a local rescue organization (we were given 5 vouchers...we pay $30.00 per cat...the other clinic was $50.00 per cat). This new clinic has really outstanding Yelp and Google reviews so I'm not too worried about them; they said they'd take 2 feral cats in 1 trap, but we needed to give them two (2) different traps or carriers for the trip home. I have no idea how they sedate them, or how they get the cat's weight. But you give me an idea: I can weigh the trap empty and weigh it again after I trap a feral...subtract one from the other and I'll have a very good approximation of the cat's weight.

Thank you.

Q2U

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
The Baby Machine ("Midnight") Gets Trapped

We believe that Midnight has produced two (2) -- and possibly three (3) -- litters in the past 12 months...and we believe that she may presently be pregnant again...

But that's all over now...

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
Weighing your trap is a very good idea. The traps I borrowed from a local rescue all had laminated tags with "Unladen weight XXX Kilo" printed on them. Must be very useful for vets to be able to work out the cats weight.

Glad you finally caught Midnight. I used to know a feral with the nickname Kitten Factory.....

She might be pregnant again, but it doesn't look as if she is far enough along to complicate the spay.

:goodluck:

white shadow

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
So, what are your plans around ensuring the safe post-surgery aftercate of Midnight?

In your other thread in the Health forum, you voiced a concern about complications with her spay because of her pregnancy.....and you stated that the Veterinarian you use employs a technique (midline) that's not optimal for feral cats (flank). You did not speak to the issue of pain control that's needed for 3-4 days.

This cat should not be released just after her spay.

Perhaps Norachan Norachan could offer you suggestions.....

Last edited:

Q2U

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Two of Midnight’s kittens (boy: “Uno” and girl: “Dosey”) were neutered/spayed last Tuesday. We plan on releasing both tomorrow, Friday. They have been recuperating comfortably in their deluxe recovery cage...

546FA5B7-1721-4DBA-8293-FC78ACA47714.jpeg

AA9FD9CA-B323-4EA3-B7AC-C5E44920BEF9.jpeg

Q2U

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
...So, what are your plans around ensuring the safe post-surgery aftercate of Midnight?...This cat should not be released just after her spay...
I dropped Ms. Midnight off at the the clinic this morning. I advised the vet that she may be pregnant, and asked that whatever the vet believes she needs should be done for her...and that we care for Midnight greatly, even though she is very feral and not at all friendly. We plan on moving kittens Uno and Dosie out of the large cage and into a smaller cage this afternoon. Midnight will be put in the large cage so she will have a spacious and clean recovery environment. Midnight will not be released for at least three or four days (minimum) after her procedure, barring any unforeseen circumstances.

Q2U

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I’m picking Midnight up at the clinic right now. The vet told me that she was not pregnant, but she was in heat. The vet also told me that she had a “green discharge coming out of her nose” and that he gave her a shot of Covenia to treat this condition. But no abortion; that’s good...real good. I am kind of glad she got the Covenia. I did not want to give it to her soley as a preventative, but since she’s got some kind of sinus or respiratory infection, it is in her and it should protect her in the event she has complications from her spay procedure. So ‘ol Midnight has retired, and she’ll be in her rest and rehabilitation holding cage for the next three or four days. I hope everything works out well for her.