Andy And The Feral Cat Shelter

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
She isn't spayed then, right? It's probably hormones. They get really moody and ornery.

• Purraise
Reactions: Q2U

kittypa

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Andy was a 5-week old feral kitten when he climbed under my hood and into my motor. Tucked away in a crevice between my bumper and engine fan he survived a 90-mile ride before we realized he was a passenger and had the local Honda dealer extract him, unharmed.

Andy after extraction at the Honda dealer...

View attachment 238934

We adopted Andy, and here he is 10-months later...

View attachment 238935

Andy, the International Viral Celebrity & Fearless Wonder Cat...

To be continued...
You have done great things for these cats. Much respect.

We have an engine compartment kitty as well. Also, as in your case, she was our first clue that we had feral cats breeding.

Little Figgy here went for a short ride to the local Jiffy Lube where she flew out and managed to hide under a used oil tank all day. We took a small trap and that afternoon the employees handed us the trap filled with kitten. She was covered with oil. She went to the vet for a check up and a bath and has been with us ever since.
Figgy7c.jpg

beautifig2.jpg

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Q2U

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
She isn't spayed then, right?...
No, not yet. As I mentioned previously, we believe she produced another litter 2 weeks ago and if we’re correct we’re afraid the newest kittens will die if we TNR her now.

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
No, not yet. As I mentioned previously, we believe she produced another litter 2 weeks ago and if we’re correct we’re afraid the newest kittens will die if we TNR her now.
Yes, it's best to wait until the kittens are at least 6 weeks old and can maintain their own body temperature and potty without mum's help. You my have to spay/abort if there are a lot of tom cats around, but as you've already had the resident tom fixed hopefully this won't be an issue.

Could you set up another feeding station so the older kittens don't have to compete with mum for food?

I have several generations of cats living together and they all get on a lot better since everyone has been fixed.

Mum and the kittens should go back to being friends once their hormones settle down.

Q2U

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
We TNR'ed Dwight last Thursday, 8/2/18 and released him the following day (Friday, 8/3/18). We will TNR the next Colony member this coming Thursday, 8/9/18, but we're getting some mixed messages regarding how long we should hold these cats after their operation.

What do you guys suggest?

How long should we hold a male after he has been neutered?

How long should we hold a female after she has been spayed?

Thank you for your help.
smiley20.gif

shadowsrescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I have done quite a few males and always release the next day. I drop off for neuter in the morning, pick up by 5pm, keep in my basement overnight and release in the morning.

With females, they usually need a minimum of 48 hours. I would ask the place where you are taking them for suggestions.

Q2U

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I have done quite a few males and always release the next day. I drop off for neuter in the morning, pick up by 5pm, keep in my basement overnight and release in the morning.

With females, they usually need a minimum of 48 hours. I would ask the place where you are taking them for suggestions.
Thanks shadowsrescue shadowsrescue . As you say, I’ve heard 24 hours for males, and 48 hours for females. I’ve also heard 96 hours (4-days) for females.

The place I’m taking them provided “discharge instructions “ which stated “7 to 10 days.”

shadowsrescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Wow! I wonder if that is for house cats. I would never consider keeping a feral cat for 7-10 days unless there were complications.

Did the male you just TNR'd return after being released?

Q2U

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Wow!...I would never consider keeping a feral cat for 7-10 days unless there were complications...
I know; go figure...the actual title of the handout is "Discharge Instructions for Feral Cats." Yikes!...kept caged that long the feral might well die of a stress-induced heart attack.
Smiley-yikes.gif
Just joking. These are the same people who failed to provide any intake instructions at all, including a warning of no food after 12:00 AM (the Midnight before surgery).

shadowsrescue said:
...Did the male you just TNR'd return after being released?
Yes, Dwight reappeared on our cameras approximately 36 hours after release and the good news was he was shepherding the three kittens he fathered with Midnight (it seems that Dwight started shepherding those kittens approximately 2-weeks before Midnight disappeared -- we believe -- to have her newest litter).

Another interesting observation from our video is that "Fluff" (a male) also seems to caring for the kittens; watching over them and shepherding them in Dwight's absence.

Fluff.jpg

Dwight.jpg

shadowsrescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Just gorgeous kitties! I love Dwight's new ear tip!
Btw, what type of cameras are you using? I have used Foscam/Amcrest wireless ip for a few years, but am always looking around. I also use Blue Iris for multi camera viewing.

Q2U

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
...Btw, what type of cameras are you using?...
I use Dahua POE cameras with Starlight sensors running over Cat5e cable. I also use Blue Iris CMS/VMS.

shadowsrescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I use Dahua POE cameras with Starlight sensors running over Cat5e cable. I also use Blue Iris CMS/VMS.
Thank you. I wish I could run POE, but not possible right now. Your video is so clear. I will file this away into my wish list!

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
Wow, Fluff is gorgeous! (Do you ship to Japan? ;))

Male cats are often very good babysitters when there are kittens around. It doesn't seem to matter whether they are that males kittens or not. They take very good care of all colony kittens.

The longest I've ever kept a cat indoors after being TNR'd is 24 hours. I usually trap in the evening, keep the cat in a covered trap over night, vet first thing in the morning, pick the cat up again around 5 PM and then release them really early the next morning. While it's still dark out and there is no one about.

Q2U

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Wow, Fluff is gorgeous! (Do you ship to Japan? ;)) Male cats are often very good babysitters when there are kittens around. It doesn't seem to matter whether they are that males kittens or not. They take very good care of all colony kittens...
Fluff is a good soul...of all the colony members Fluff is the friendliest and most mellow. Here he is playing with one of Midnight's kittens...

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
That's a nice trap! I like the way the cover fits over so neatly and the way you can add a extra section with a litter box or whatever.

Don't worry Tyger, everything will be fine.

Q2U

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
...Don't worry Tyger, everything will be fine.
A complication has arisen.

Mr. Tyger ("He") turns out to be Ms. Tyger ("she") and when I picked her up this morning from the spay clinic they also told me "I guess you weren't aware that she is nursing. You better get her back out there quick."

doh.gif
"Well...NO WE WEREN'T AWARE or else we would not have brought her in...how do you know that" I replied. To which the clinic staff member said "...because of her nipples and she is full of milk."

Hmmm. We've been watching this cat closely for 6-months; there was no indication -- whatsoever -- that she was ever pregnant, so we don't quite understand what is going on here.

I did a search of several acres around our property listening for crying kittens...nothing.

Could Ms. Tyger be nursing Midnight's kittens? Or could Ms. Tyger be lactating simply because Midnight had a new litter 4-weeks ago?

Any and all comments would be most helpful.

Thank you.

Q2U

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
P.S. Mrs. Q2U is very concerned that if we release Ms. Tyger now then any kittens which are nursing may tear open her spay wound...what do you think?

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh dear. I hope you can find the kittens, if there are any.