All Things Books And Reading Thread - 2018

Status
Not open for further replies.

Margret

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Rest You Merry, by Charlotte MacLeod, is on sale today for $1.99 at Amazon (www.amazon.com/dp/B07B6BNR13?tag=ebbdaily-20), Apple (Rest You Merry by Charlotte MacLeod on iBooks), and Google (https://play.google.com/store/books/details?id=Uv7IsjBkNQsC). This is the first of the Professor Peter Shandy mysteries, a delightful series of cozies set in Balaclava College, a quirky small agricultural college, and in many ways it's hilarious (though, as one reviewer pointed out, it's set in a bygone era). The first chapter of the book, where curmudgeonly Professor Shandy is trying to get out of mandatory Christmas decoration duty, is, for me, a must-read every Christmas season.

Margret

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I've started reading The Sisterhood series by Fern Michaels. Excellent books. Series List | Fern Michaels®

There's also The Men of the Sisterhood series, dealing with the husbands of the Sisterhood characters and I want to read those, too.
The Sisterhood series in on my "to read someday" list. There's 28 books, though. If I start now, I might finish by October! :D

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I'm reading "Not a Creature was Purring," the fifth and most recent of Krista Davis' "Paws and Claws" series. OH GOD, I love the cover! It is the sweetest thing! Just LOOK at those little faces!

I should finish it by tonight, so I'll be back to the Vish Puri books after that!

Kimbers36

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
AH! I'm so happy I found this thread!

I just started "The Algebraist" by Iain M. Banks and so far I'm really enjoying it!

I'm always looking for good reads, so I'm going to jump back to the start and read over what other's have read/currently reading
:)

Margret

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I just started "The Algebraist" by Iain M. Banks and so far I'm really enjoying it!
Does it have any actual algebra in it?

I've just been looking for this online and it appears that, while there are audio versions of it available, all other versions are paper.

Margret

Kimbers36

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Does it have any actual algebra in it?

I've just been looking for this online and it appears that, while there are audio versions of it available, all other versions are paper.

Margret
Oh no, it's not a scientific book. It's definitely sci-fi adventure.

Although if you are looking for a good read, there is a book called "The Hole in the Universe" by K. C. Cole.
It's the theory of 'nothing' and how it works in the universe and our everyday lives. There's a ton of information in there that's way above my understanding and is purely physics and philosophy, but a really interesting read. I've had it for years and drift back to it from time to time.

The Hole in the Universe by K.C. Cole

Margret

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Although if you are looking for a good read, there is a book called "The Hole in the Universe" by K. C. Cole.
It's the theory of 'nothing' and how it works in the universe and our everyday lives. There's a ton of information in there that's way above my understanding and is purely physics and philosophy, but a really interesting read. I've had it for years and drift back to it from time to time.
Thanks; I've bookmarked it on BookBub, along with a couple other of his.

Margret

Mamanyt1953

Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I finished up "Not a Creature was Purring" and have "The Case of the Man Who Died Laughing" sitting next to my chair in the living room! As soon as I finish here on TCS, I shall drift back into the exotic world of New Delhi!

Margret

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I had forgotten how funny Tolkien can be, in the midst of deadly serious situations.

Merry and Pippin have been kidnapped by Orcs who are taking them to Saruman. Aragorn, Legolas, and Gimli have been chasing the Orcs for days, but have had to stop and rest at night, with the result that the Orcs have gotten far ahead. The three of them are physically and emotionally exhausted and have nearly despaired of rescuing the hobbits, when they see something moving across the grassland at a great distance from them. Aragorn lies down to listen to the ground:
'Riders!' cried Aragorn, springing to his feet. 'Many riders on swift steeds are coming towards us!'
'Yes,' said Legolas, 'there are one hundred and five. Yellow is their hair, and bright are their spears. Their leader is very tall.'
Aragorn smiled. 'Keen are the eyes of the Elves,' he said.
'Nay! The riders are little more than five leagues distant,' said Legolas.
Margret

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
I spent the afternoon reading Comey's A Higher Loyalty.

It was quite interesting, particularly his comparisons of the Bush, Obama, and current administrations. Definitely an enjoyable read.

mani

Moderator and fervent feline fan
Staff Member
Purraise

Jes' sayin'...
:flail:

I'm feeling like immersing myself in something well-written but not too taxing so I went with The Punishment She Deserves by Elizabeth George.

I'm listening to it, and the narrator is rather good. It's a little bit unputdownable (or in my case, untakeoffable, as I'm using headphones :biggrin:)

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
There is a lot of tributes going on about Barbara Bush now and she had an annual thing at her husbands library that she invited authors to. They had one of her favorite authors on MSNBC last night named Harlan Coben. I borrowed one of his audiobooks from the library last night named One False Move. I had never read any of his books, most of his books weren't available because all of the copies were checked out. I don't know if that is because he is popular and I never heard of him or it is because people are doing the same thing I did.

Mamanyt1953

Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise

Oh, this is a keeper!

The Ivey family, Michael, Savannah, their young children and the redoubtable, irrepressible Ragsdale (AKA Rags) head to Colorado to visit Michael's twin brother. The family rents an AirBNB and settles in for a lovely stay. As Michael and his twin catch up and the wives and young cousins become fast friends, Rags is up to his old tricks. THIS time, however, he is bringing home more than underwear and household goods. He is finding jewelry, antique and expensive jewelry! Rags is, along with Savannah (whose curiosity may equal Rags'), on the verge of cracking a VERY cold case! The jewels are part of a robbery from some 70 years ago, and SOMEONE thinks Our Boy and his human hold the key to the rest of the booty! There are lovely twists and turns in the plot as danger mounts and Rags comes to the rescue...more than once!

Ms. Fry does an excellent job with developing character. I especially enjoy the fact that she does not over-describe the fascinating folks who populate her books. I have a very clear image in my mind of how Savannah, for instance, looks, but it may be very different from yours! And Rags, although extremely intelligent, remains a cat. He does not talk (although he certainly communicates!), he has no magical or supernatural qualities, but he is, as are all cats, a unique, distinct personality. Her plot lines are engaging, and the mysteries are...well...mysterious.

I have come late to this series, and am attacking it almost in reverse order, but I have placed the entire thing HIGH on my "Must Have" list. This will be a series that I keep and re-read over the years.

tara g

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
:flail:

I'm feeling like immersing myself in something well-written but not too taxing so I went with The Punishment She Deserves by Elizabeth George.

I'm listening to it, and the narrator is rather good. It's a little bit unputdownable (or in my case, untakeoffable, as I'm using headphones :biggrin:)
This one is on my list to read.

Currently reading "The Gin Closet" by Leslie Jamison ... one of my ebook purchases when I had to use my B&N credit that had been sitting in my email & almost forgotten about.

aliceneko

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Currently reading My Name is Leon by Kit de Waal. It's not the sort of book I'd typically read but I'm enjoying it so far.

Mamanyt1953

Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Mission ImPAWssible, Patricia Fry

Savannah Ivey and her klepto kitty, Rags, are hip-deep in mystery and intrigue again as the mystery of the missing jewels ("Secrets, Trickery, and Meows") plays out back home in California! Rags, ever nosey, manages to find a body this time. With the help of Savannah and Detective Craig Sledge, Rags manages to solve a mystery almost 3/4 of a century old, as well as making life far, far better for more than one person encountered along the way!

Usually, I'm not overly fond of books that are not really stand-alones, even if part of a series. In this case, I am making a definite exception. This is an excellent mystery, and one book would not have done it justice. Well, not in the "cozy mystery" formatting. It would just have been too long. Again, the characters are likeable (or despicable, where appropriate, and sometimes a tiny bit of both), dialogue is spritely, interesting and never stiff, and Rags has just won my heart!

A day or two ago, the question was asked on one of my Cozy Mystery sites, "If you were stranded on an island, which two cozy authors' works would you want to have? Patricia Fry was one. 'Nuff said!

Margret

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Free today on Kindle: 9 Lives to Live (Magical Cool Cats series Book 10), by Mary Matthews.
When you're a cool cat detective, you only live nine times but if you live them right, nine is enough to solve the mysteries of the universe. Cool Cat Sleuths, Tatania and Zeus, find clues as intoxicating as catnip, and help their humans, fun loving 1920s detectives, Grace and Jack, unravel a mystery of switched identities that reveals another one of Tatania's nine lives without missing a nap.
www.amazon.com/dp/B00I87FV56?tag=fbsyemail-20

Margret

Status
Not open for further replies.