All Things Books And Reading Thread - 2018

Status
Not open for further replies.

DreamerRose

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
:flail:

I'm feeling like immersing myself in something well-written but not too taxing so I went with The Punishment She Deserves by Elizabeth George.

I'm listening to it, and the narrator is rather good. It's a little bit unputdownable (or in my case, untakeoffable, as I'm using headphones :biggrin:)
I will finish the last few pages of this tonight. It's a little too long for my taste - too much description. The whole business with tap dance could have been deleted with no loss to the plot. And she overdid the British slang (George is an American). Sometimes a bloke is just a man. Sometimes it seems like she is bragging about what she's learned. No one talks in slang ALL the time. Some of the vernacular may not be known to some of the readers or has different meanings in different locations, for instance, chuff (don't know what that means in British English), pissed (two different meanings), or flog (same).

That said, the book has a wonderfully drawn plot, with more than a few surprises, but not especially red herrings. They are natural twists and turns in an investigation. It kept me turning pages to 4 a.m., but I still haven't found who deserved to be punished.

mani

Moderator and fervent feline fan
Staff Member
Purraise
I will finish the last few pages of this tonight. It's a little too long for my taste - too much description. The whole business with tap dance could have been deleted with no loss to the plot. And she overdid the British slang (George is an American). Sometimes a bloke is just a man. Sometimes it seems like she is bragging about what she's learned. No one talks in slang ALL the time. Some of the vernacular may not be known to some of the readers or has different meanings in different locations, for instance, chuff (don't know what that means in British English), pissed (two different meanings), or flog (same).

That said, the book has a wonderfully drawn plot, with more than a few surprises, but not especially red herrings. They are natural twists and turns in an investigation. It kept me turning pages to 4 a.m., but I still haven't found who deserved to be punished.
That's interesting, as the slang was really just the venacular to me, and seemed in keeping with the characters. But then here a bloke is usually more often a bloke than a man, 'pissed' and 'flog' seemed in keeping and we're quite often 'chuffed'. :biggrin:

I haven't quite finished, so as yet am unsure about punishment... :think:

foxxycat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Honeybee on my lap, music playing in background
I've started reading The Sisterhood series by Fern Michaels. Excellent books. Series List | Fern Michaels®

There's also The Men of the Sisterhood series, dealing with the husbands of the Sisterhood characters and I want to read those, too.
I love all her sisterhood books!!! Good choice!!
There is a lot of tributes going on about Barbara Bush now and she had an annual thing at her husbands library that she invited authors to. They had one of her favorite authors on MSNBC last night named Harlan Coben. I borrowed one of his audiobooks from the library last night named One False Move. I had never read any of his books, most of his books weren't available because all of the copies were checked out. I don't know if that is because he is popular and I never heard of him or it is because people are doing the same thing I did.
I can't keep his books on the shelves. Harlan Coben looks like he writes really good fiction-when this overtime slows down-he's on my to read list.

I am currently reading this novel:

Flat Broke with Two Goats: A Memoir of Appalachia by Jennifer McGaha

I really like this novel-it's interesting how she describes her surroundings.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
:flail:

I'm feeling like immersing myself in something well-written but not too taxing so I went with The Punishment She Deserves by Elizabeth George.
I'm not really into crime/mystery books, and I see this is book # 20 of a series! Is each book standalone-ish? Or should you have read the others first?

I am currently reading this novel:

Flat Broke with Two Goats: A Memoir of Appalachia by Jennifer McGaha

I really like this novel-it's interesting how she describes her surroundings.
I finished Flat Broke with Two Goats: A Memoir of Appalachia by Jennifer McGaha a while back.

I never did quite figure out how much was true, and what was embellished. I checked out her website, though, and there's some cool pictures, including one of the waterfall.
Photos

I also finished The Perfect Nanny by Leïla Slimani. It was a quick read, and kept my interest, but not sure if I liked it on not. :headscratch:

I'm currently reading Truly Madly Guilty by Liane Moriarty.

foxxycat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I signed up to NetGallery to give reviews of ARC books.

I just started this one.
Somebody's Daughter | Rochelle B. Weinstein | 9781503949256 | NetGalley

I really like this book-I like the character development and of course I prefer nitty gritty topics so this I feel right at home with. My hope is with this book that we teach our youth to have compassion for one another and don't get trapped into thinking it will never happen to my son/daughter etc. Just a well written book..on Chapter 10 now. I will be reading her other books!

mani

Moderator and fervent feline fan
Staff Member
Purraise
Thanks. I must add them to my lengthy list of "books to read someday". ;)
There is a bit of carry-through, but more about the relationships, both inside and outside work, of the main characters. I tend to like to start from the beginning, but, as DreamerRose says, you can easily read just one. It's the purist in me. :angel3:

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
There is a bit of carry-through, but more about the relationships, both inside and outside work, of the main characters. I tend to like to start from the beginning, but, as DreamerRose says, you can easily read just one. It's the purist in me. :angel3:
I like to start at the beginning of a series too. Guess that means 20 more books added to my "to read" list. :lol:

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I have one of those. It is currently 901 strong. That's about 3 1/2 years of reading for me.
Only 3 1/2 years. You can add way more books to your list!

Just checked, and I have 619 e-books on my "wish list" on my library account. We can put up to 5000, so everyone keep referring books! :biggrin:

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I actually just finished A Circle of Stone by Judith Duerk. This wonderful book is about rediscovering and reclaiming our deepest feminine natures, but does not denigrate the masculine, either! That's very refreshing to me.

DreamerRose

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't like to start from the beginning of a series of 20 books, especially if it started 30-40 years ago because technology has changed so much during that period of time. It's sort of a mind warp to suddenly be without cell phones, answering machines, and the like. The only exception to this is Sue Grafton, who firmly kept her novels stuck in 1989. A lot happened to Kinsey in 1989.:lol:

Moz

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Has anyone here read I'll Be Gone in the Dark by Michelle McNamara about the Golden State Killer (or EAR/ONS)? I've been interested in the case for quite a while now, and I'd really like to read it, especially since the GSK was just arrested yesterday. Many of the reviews on Goodreads are positive, but I thought I'd ask here, too.

foxxycat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Has anyone here read I'll Be Gone in the Dark by Michelle McNamara about the Golden State Killer (or EAR/ONS)? I've been interested in the case for quite a while now, and I'd really like to read it, especially since the GSK was just arrested yesterday. Many of the reviews on Goodreads are positive, but I thought I'd ask here, too.
I haven't but that does sound interesting! Maybe you can find it cheap on Amazon? Ebay too sometimes.

misty8723

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I very seldom pay full price for an e-book; when I do it usually means that it's an old favorite, that I used to own it in paper, and that I've lost my paper copy and want something that's harder to lose. Margret
The only e-book(s) I've ever paid full price for were George R.R. Martin's A Song of Ice and Fire series. I have a real problem paying as much for an e-Book as a paper copy- but even then I rarely pay full price for them. I've found that I really love the Kindle Unlimited service. I have read some really good books I never would have even considered if I'd had to pay for them. Yes, I know, I paid for the service, but I got it when it was on sale and I believe I've gotten my money's worth with it.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I hadn't really heard about the case, or at least not in decades, till I read about the recent arrest. It would probably be an interesting read, albeit probably upsetting too.

Margret

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yeah, I tend to avoid true crime; I get enough of it from the news. It would be interesting to know how they caught the guy, though, and what they did before that didn't work...

I wonder whether the new DNA approach was one that they could have tried before, or whether it was contingent on the recent improvements in DNA forensic science. I also wonder whether they might have caught him sooner if he hadn't been a cop, either because he was able to interfere with the investigation or because they didn't consider cops to be potential suspects.

Margret

Status
Not open for further replies.