All Things Books And Reading Thread - 2018

Status
Not open for further replies.

Margret

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
David Tennant is also The Doctor in Seasons 201, 301 and 401 of Dr. Who.
Yes, which is why I should have recognized him in "Harry Potter."

Now streaming on Prime for free. Seasons 101 to 1001.
I neither have nor want Amazon Prime.

Tennant is my favorite of the "new" doctors :loveeyes:
Mine is Jodie Whittaker.

Seriously, I've seen them all, from William Hartnell through Peter Capaldi and John Hurt, and I've loved all of them, but for a very long time my favorite was Jon Pertwee. But when I saw that gorgeous announcement about Jodie Whittaker (which she totally nailed) I fell in love all over again. It's been obvious for a very long time that time lords could change gender when regenerating (I believe Ramona did it, in fact, though her regeneration method was totally non-standard), and the last few seasons have been building up to it, what with both Missy and, um, was it Lord President Rassilon? in "Hell Bent" (episode 12 of season 9, 2015 - Hell Bent (Doctor Who) - Wikipedia).

I'm very much looking forward to October, when the new season (presumably) begins.

Margret

Katie M

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes, which is why I should have recognized him in "Harry Potter."

Mine is Jodie Whittaker.

Seriously, I've seen them all, from William Hartnell through Peter Capaldi and John Hurt, and I've loved all of them, but for a very long time my favorite was Jon Pertwee. But when I saw that gorgeous announcement about Jodie Whittaker (which she totally nailed) I fell in love all over again. It's been obvious for a very long time that time lords could change gender when regenerating (I believe Ramona did it, in fact, though her regeneration method was totally non-standard), and the last few seasons have been building up to it, what with both Missy and, um, was it Lord President Rassilon? in "Hell Bent" (episode 12 of season 9, 2015 - Hell Bent (Doctor Who) - Wikipedia).

I'm very much looking forward to October, when the new season (presumably) begins.

Margret
My absolute favorite is Matt Smith, with Patrick Troughton a close second.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
now to finish Mary Alice Monroe The summers end. Theres one more book in that series. I got the ARC of her latest beach house series. So got to get reading before it archives.
I've been trying to read those books for ages. I put the e-books on hold at the library, then the wrong one becomes available first, and I start the cycle all over again!

Just put book 1 on hold again. I'm #11 on one copy, so it'll be a while! :rolleyes:

foxxycat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Honeybee on my lap, music playing in background
rubysmama rubysmama the 1st book of lowcountry series is really good. The 2nd one is good but 1st book lays the groundwork.

The beach house series is another one she did..i have swimming lessons from my shop so I took that book home last week. The beachhouse was 99 cents on amazon for ebook so did that instead. I remember when she first came out in late 1990s woth the book "the book club". I read Skyward way back when. That was a good read.

Margret

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well, I've gotten as far as Chapter 10 of The Two Towers, "The Voice of Saruman." The remaining members of the fellowship (minus Frodo and Sam, of course) have been reunited; the ents have destroyed Isengard; Saruman and Wormtongue are holed up in Orthanc; and the fellowship and a few others are about to confront them.

One of the really annoying things about my broken wrist is that my occupational therapy homework takes so much time, and I can't read while I'm doing it - I generally need to be either looking at a clock or counting seconds - so my reading time is greatly impinged upon. However, I did turn my therapist on to Sir Terry the other day - corrupting the young and innocent, that's me. :paperbag:

Margret

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I'm still working my way through Shirley Damsgaard's cozy series, "Ophelia and Abby." I'm enjoying the Appalachian mountain magic part of it, the old "yarb woman" and "root doctor" lore, with is actually fairly accurate. And the mystery portion of our program isn't half bad, either!

Sir Patrick Stewart, on the other hand, I never have that problem with, although I think it's his marvelous voice that gives him away.
Very probably. Another two whose voices I never mistake are James Earl Jones and Sam Elliott.

I keep saying that I don't, but...SIGH...I could ditch my cable keeping only my internet, get Amazon Prime, piggyback Sling onto it and add CBS, and STILL be paying some $60 less a month than I do right now. It really is a possibility!

Margret

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I keep saying that I don't, but...SIGH...I could ditch my cable keeping only my internet, get Amazon Prime, piggyback Sling onto it and add CBS, and STILL be paying some $60 less a month than I do right now. It really is a possibility!
I'm fortunate that we got a really great deal on DirecTV, as well as our Wifi, by bundling it all in with our phone service and deducting a customer loyalty adjustment - we've had the same phone number for 30 years. This means I can afford to stand on principal and boycott Amazon (for reasons which I decline to go into in this thread - it's even more off-topic than Doctor Who and "Galaxy Quest"). However, I bought a used Roku stick from a friend a while back, and one of these days I'm going to hook it up so we can start getting Netflix.

I've currently added "The Hall Family Chronicles" by Jane Langton to my list of books to check for at the used book store; I think I read the second one of these many years ago: The Swing in the Summerhouse, and I'd like to not only re-read it but also read the rest of the series; I do love a good children's book.

Margret

Margret

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I stopped by the used book store on my way home from the pharmacy this evening, and found a Discworld book I'd never encountered before, probably because it came out in 2011, when my brain tumor was approaching its maximum size: Snuff. I also found two of the Jane Langton books I'm looking for, an Asimov I've never read (or at least, don't remember reading), and another book in Katherine Kurtz's Deryni universe, all for less than $17, and Snuff is in hardback.
:bunnydance:

Margret

Mamanyt1953

Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I'm still working on the Damsgaard series. I have the one I'm currently reading, "The Witch is Dead," and two more after that. After I finish, I'll either start the "Fear Familiar" series, or begin rereading (with new books I haven't read) one of my "guilty pleasures" series by Karen Marie Moning, the Fae books. Kinda (ok, VERY) racy, but a lot of fun.

Been looking around for alternatives to my cable, and it seems that Hulu might do it. Must explore more.

Margret

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm currently splitting my reading between LOTR and Snuff. I checked a bibliography of Sir Terry and it appears that I missed one other book during my lost decade (2002-2012 - the years when a benign brain tumor was growing in my right frontal lobe): Unseen Academicals. I have now added it to my BookBub wish list, as well as The Shepherd's Crown, the final Tiffany Aching book. I will also, of course, keep my eyes open for them at the used bookstore; you never know...

Margret

catspaw66

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Well, I've gotten as far as Chapter 10 of The Two Towers, "The Voice of Saruman." The remaining members of the fellowship (minus Frodo and Sam, of course) have been reunited; the ents have destroyed Isengard; Saruman and Wormtongue are holed up in Orthanc; and the fellowship and a few others are about to confront them.

One of the really annoying things about my broken wrist is that my occupational therapy homework takes so much time, and I can't read while I'm doing it - I generally need to be either looking at a clock or counting seconds - so my reading time is greatly impinged upon. However, I did turn my therapist on to Sir Terry the other day - corrupting the young and innocent, that's me. :paperbag:

Margret
Good for you!

catspaw66

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I'm currently splitting my reading between LOTR and Snuff. I checked a bibliography of Sir Terry and it appears that I missed one other book during my lost decade (2002-2012 - the years when a benign brain tumor was growing in my right frontal lobe): Unseen Academicals. I have now added it to my BookBub wish list, as well as The Shepherd's Crown, the final Tiffany Aching book. I will also, of course, keep my eyes open for them at the used bookstore; you never know...

Margret
Unseen Academicals is excellent, of course and Snuff is one of the last books published.

Mamanyt1953

Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Reading the final book of the "Ophelia and Abby" cozy series. Man, I'm going to miss this one. I hope she finds love in this book...well...I hope she and that nitwit realize that they've already found it...they've been bouncing off of each other for SEVEN BOOKS NOW!

foxxycat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Honeybee on my lap, music playing in background
reading ARC of Mary Alice Monroe Beach House Reunion. There's a few characters in it that were in the 4 books I was reading before-Carson makes an appearance and so far the book is really good. I can't wait to reread the beachhouse. I think I read it many years ago but alas gonna read it again. Seems beach books are my favorite-nantucket, maine, low country, florida-anywhere beach and water are there you will find me as well

Status
Not open for further replies.