Status
Not open for further replies.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Can you imagine the books I'll be able to read when I retire? :cloud9:
LOL, you can help me with my "to read" list!

I'm on #5 now...still plowing through the "Fever" series. 5 more to go, with 4 actually here. The last one is new, and will have to wait a bit for the budget to allow, as I'm in the throws of FINALLY getting things for the house that were sorely needed...like, the next project is bedside tables. NO MORE CARDBOARD BOXES! Half my apartment was furnished with either dumpster finds or cardboard boxes.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I just got The Woman in the Window from the library. Has anyone read it? I didn't like The Girl on the Train at all, so I'm wondering if this one is similar.
Not yet. Though I am on the waiting list for the e-book at the library. However, since I'm # 252 on 20 copies, don't think I'll be reading it for a while. Maybe not even this year!

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
@WilliG: Welcome to TCS, and to our Books and Reading thread. :wave2:

We have a New Cats on the Block forum where you can "formally" introduce yourself and tell us about any cats in your life. :catlove:

Good Omens sounds interesting, so I've added it to my e-book wishlist at the library. :read:

Mamanyt1953

Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
:hithere: @WilliG!

Finished #5 and am on to #6, "Iced." This one features Dani rather than Mac, and it is kinda slow going for me, but I'll get there! Not a bad book, just...not what I am used to in this series.

Margret

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I finished Fool's War by Sarah Zettel - good book. In the future it has been discovered that things go better on starships when there's a "Fool" on board. This is the medieval meaning of "Fool," a sort of court jester, someone who can make jokes about anything, with total impunity. Fools command rather high salaries, and ships which can afford them not only do better because of higher morale but also have higher credit ratings. And Fools all belong to the Fool's Guild.

In Fool's War, we meet Master Fool Evelyn Dobbs, who was awarded her Master's status at a very young age and is now on her first actual assignment, aboard the mail packet ship Pasadena. What Dobbs' employers don't know is that Fools have more than one job; not only are they charged with maintaining crew morale they also have to keep their eyes open for rogue AIs, Artificial Intelligences that have somehow become self-aware and are likely to lash out violently to defend themselves. And what Dobbs doesn't know is that she's about to encounter the very first deliberately engineered rogue AI, and a vast conspiracy to enslave humanity.

This book is character driven. It's also space opera; the "War" of the title is a genuine war, with very real casualties, and while the good guys will prevail it will not be without losses. And how will they prevail? Good people in difficult situations will do their best to do the right thing, and all of those right things will come together to defeat the enemy.

I did have a few problems with the book. Just for starters, Sarah Zettel's idea of a really good computer interface strikes me as horribly awkward. The other problem I had may be specific to the Nook edition of the book; it really needs a good copy editor. There are numerous places where words are missing or, alternatively, there are extra words that should have been deleted, as if the original wording was changed by the author, but the change was incomplete, something got left behind. There were also a lot of misspellings: "to" instead of "too," "loose" instead of "loss," "it's" instead of "its." This book really needs the attentions of a copy editor. However, it was always possible to understand the intent of the author, so the typos didn't actually destroy my enjoyment of the book.

Margret

Mamanyt1953

Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Fool's War actually just sparked a memory of a very, very different AI in me, from a book I read decades ago, and I went on a quick search. I found it. It is called The Silver Metal Lover, and was written by Tanith Lee. The book was written as a YA novel, and there was actually a sequel, which I have not read. Just put both of them on my "To Buy" list!

As for me, I'm still plowing through the "Fever" series, currently on Fever Born. Still enjoying almost all of it, and when you've read 8.5 novels in a series back to back and are still enjoying almost all of it, you've got a good thing going!

Margret

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Fool's War actually just sparked a memory of a very, very different AI in me, from a book I read decades ago, and I went on a quick search. I found it. It is called The Silver Metal Lover, and was written by Tanith Lee. The book was written as a YA novel, and there was actually a sequel, which I have not read. Just put both of them on my "To Buy" list!

Never heard of it before; thanks.

Tanith Lee expressed interest in writing a third novel in the series, titled The Tin Man, which would return to the story of Silver and Jane.[2][3] However, Lee died in 2015 and the status of this potential story at the time of her death remains unknown.
From The S.I.L.V.E.R. Series - Wikipedia

Just bookmarked the sequel on BookBub; regrettably it appears that The Silver Metal Lover hasn't been published in electronic format.

Margret

Mamanyt1953

Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Just for a change, I'm currently reading "A Witch's Brew" by Patricia Telesco. Although written for Pagans, it would be interesting to anyone who enjoys brewing or making flavored wines, or teas, or any number of things, especially if they are drawn to enjoying beverages that are filled with seasonal flavors. There is even a short section on the basics of beer brewing and wine making.

MonaLyssa33

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I just finished How to Stop Time by Matt Haig and I highly recommend it. Matt Haig writes such insightful things that it took me longer to read this book because I needed to process his words.

Mamanyt1953

Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Margret Margret , there's a new Sister Fidelma coming out very soon, or just out, "Blood Moon." Thought you would want to know.

Since I've read all of my new books now, and haven't ordered more (tomorrow :crossfingers:), I'm re-reading the Hannah Swensen books that I have on my shelves. Cozy mysteries, with yummie cookie and dessert recipes. I may order more of those.

Margret

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Margret Margret , there's a new Sister Fidelma coming out very soon, or just out, "Blood Moon." Thought you would want to know.
Thank you! Yes, I'm very interested. Unfortunately, I've missed quite a few of them; I have them on my BookBub watch list.

Still reading Oliver Twist. I'm enjoying it too, it's much more enthralling than I thought it would be.
Yes, Dickens was quite good.

Currently, in addition to LOTR and The Poincaré Conjecture I'm reading The Cat, The Devil, and Lee Fontana, by Shirley Rousseau Murphy and Pat J.J. Murphy (her husband). This is the first book of a duology about Misto, in between his 8th and 9th lives. Misto is the elderly cat who passed away just before Joe and Dulcie's kittens were born in Cat Shout for Joy.

Margret

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I just finished How to Stop Time by Matt Haig and I highly recommend it. Matt Haig writes such insightful things that it took me longer to read this book because I needed to process his words.
Sounds interesting. Just put the e-book on hold at my library.

Still reading Oliver Twist. I'm enjoying it too, it's much more enthralling than I thought it would be.
As I've mentioned before, I haven't read many of the classics. I've added it to my ever-growing to read list.

I'm currently reading, and almost finished The Dutch Wife by Ellen Keith

catspaw66

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
As usual, I am reading 5 at the same time.
Paul Hogan - Giants Star (book 3 of 5)
David Gerrold (writer of The Trouble With Tribbles) - A Matter For Men (book 1 of 4)
Arthur Clark - 2061 Odyssey Three
Pat Frank - Alas, Babylon
Jules Verne - Journey to the Interior of the Earth

All Science Fiction books

Status
Not open for further replies.