Status
Not open for further replies.
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

Mia6

Mother of one and numerous ferals
Top Cat
Purraise
I found World War Z on my Bookshelf, God no!!! I started it about 5 years ago
and it was too scary then but now??? No ******* way!

Tobermory

“What greater gift than the love of a cat.”
Staff Member
Purraise
I just finished two books by Sujata Massey, the first two "Perveen Mistry" Mysteries
I’m so glad you mentioned this author! I just finished the first one and am on hold for the second. Excellent story and fascinating—although frustrating—to read about the challenges women faced in the 1920s. (And still face, of course.)

Before that I finished The Glass Castle by Jeannette Walls. It’s similar to the Tara Westover memoir Educated in that both women overcame incredible odds and escaped horrible home lives to become successful. Somehow, though, I found The Glass Castle more depressing.

Now I need something cheerful!

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise

Mia6

Top Cat
Purraise
I've just finished another book about contagious diseases that was rightfully recommended to me:
Pandemic: Tracking Contagions, from Cholera to Ebola and Beyond
by Sonia Shah. It was very interesting, but it's time to switch to a different subject. This book is up next on my list:
The Darkest Places: Unsolved Mysteries, True Crimes, and Harrowing Disasters in the Wild
edited by Outdoor Magazine.

My reading of that collection of stories might be interspersed with a few cozy mysteries.
The second book sounds really good. I'm adding it to my last.

Tobermory

Staff Member
Purraise
MY OVERDRIVE APP HAS STOPPED WORKING. And I can’t get the Libby app to work either. My books, my books!!! :argh::argh::argh: I will lose my mind if I can’t read. I’ve got the Kindle app and downloaded something there, but what’s going on??? Shriekkkkkkkkkkkk.

Mia6

Top Cat
Purraise
Whew. Okay, it’s fixed. Took them a few hours. So I’m all calm and chill when I’m told I shouldn’t leave the house because there’s a deadly virus sweeping the country, but take away my books and I freak out. :lol:
Maybe Overdrive was Overloaded, hee, hee? So many people reading......

Tobermory

Staff Member
Purraise
Maybe Overdrive was Overloaded, hee, hee? So many people reading......
That occurred to me! Then I thought that maybe the site had been hacked by some rotten person trying to drive all of the shut-in book readers crazy. Must have been a pretty serious issue; it was down for hours
have you checked to see if your library is affiliated with HOOPLA? It's another option, and no wait times for borrowing.
Yes, thank you! I discovered that at least one of the three libraries where I have a library card is affiliated with Hoopla, and that was going to be my next step. I may try it out anyway!

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Yes, thank you! I discovered that at least one of the three libraries where I have a library card is affiliated with Hoopla, and that was going to be my next step. I may try it out anyway!
The selection isn't as numerous as the library, but the no wait time is nice. :)

gilmargl

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hallo Everybody,

I've just read all 20 pages of this Forum, and have to say that most of you read completely different books from those I've been reading in the past 2 years. Maybe I'm a bit out of date.
Anyway, I don't support Kindle or Amazon! We are fortunate to still have a bookshop in town, so, both for e-books and hard copies, I try to order from there. I have 2 tolino readers, though I now prefer to buy paperbacks rather than digital copies so that I can donate my finished books to the local library, who sell them in order to buy new stock, or to the university, where foreign students are trying to learn both English and German.

At present I am reading "Girl, Woman, Other" by Bernadine Evaristo, who won the Booker Prize for this book last year. It is a story about 12 very different, interesting characters, whose lives cross. I am about a third of the way through the 450 pages, but it is going to be a quick read.

The other book I am attempting to finish is "The Rules of Contagion: Why things spread and why they stop" by Adam Kucharski. It is interesting as it demonstrates the similarity between the spread of infectious diseases, innovations, lack of confidence in banks, fear of bursting financial "bubbles" and even violence (in the home or use of guns) is "contagious" and spreads like an infection. The statistics and mathematical models are quite simple, but the lack of capital letters for the names of people, companies and places, makes my e-book version not too easy to read quickly. I am halfway through.

A book I read recently and found unforgettable was "The End of Loneliness" by Benedict Wells. The lives of Jules and his siblings change dramatically when they lose their parents and are sent to boarding school. It's only 230 pages long, rather sad but ..... well worth reading.

I will look out for books you are reading though I'm definitely not going to read any more Lee Child, Judy Picoult, John Grisham, Lucinda Riley, Lisa Teadeo and .......... life is too short! I read the Book of the Month for April, a couple of years ago. I'll comment on that in the correct Forum. Enjoy your books!

Status
Not open for further replies.