All Thing Books And Reading Thread 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mia6

Mother of one and numerous ferals
Top Cat
Purraise
So guys, what was your favorite book or book series of the year? Mine was the DI Helen Grace series by M.J. Arlidge?

Koveshnikov

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

Mia6

Top Cat
Purraise
Another fave were the 2 books I read of The Yorkshire Dark Mystery Series-DI Nathaniel Caslin..
by J.M. Algleish

Divided House
Black Light

and I haven't read the last one Dogs in the Street

I just found out there are 6 books!!

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
Since I had started to reread the Pendergast series, I'd have to say that those books are top for me in 2019. The new Pendergast is coming out the beginning of February and I have it on pre-order.

Mia6

Top Cat
Purraise
I downloaded The Siberian Dilemma by Martin Cruz Smith from the library. I had it and about 10 others from the library in hard copy and I have no idea how I thought I could read them all. I can keep it for 21 days and request it again. He wrote quite a few books about a Russian detective and this is the latest.

Journalist Tatiana Petrovna is on the move. Arkady Renko, iconic Moscow investigator and Tatiana’s part-time lover, hasn’t seen her since she left on assignment over a month ago. When she doesn’t arrive on her scheduled train, he’s positive something is wrong. No one else thinks Renko should be worried—Tatiana is known to disappear during deep assignments—but he knows her enemies all too well and the criminal lengths they’ll go to keep her quiet.

Renko embarks on a dangerous journey to find Tatiana and bring her back. From the banks of Lake Baikal to rundown Chita, Renko slowly learns that Tatiana has been profiling the rise of political dissident Mikhail Kuznetsov, a golden boy of modern oil wealth and the first to pose a true threat to Putin’s rule in over a decade. Though Kuznetsov seems like the perfect candidate to take on the corruption in Russian politics, his reputation becomes clouded when Boris Benz, his business partner and best friend, turns up dead. In a land of shamans and brutally cold nights, oligarchs wealthy on northern oil, and sea monsters that are said to prowl the deepest lake in the world, Renko needs all his wits about him to get Tatiana out alive.

The Washington Post has said “Martin Cruz Smith is that rare phenomenon: a popular and well-regarded crime novelist who is also a writer of real distinction.” In the latest continuation of his unforgettable series, he brings us to the inside world of shadowy political figures and big wig oil oligarchs providing us with an authentic view of contemporary Russia, infused with his trademark wit. (less)

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Favorite book or series of the year...Probably the Leaphorn and Chee series that I'm a bit over half-way through now. I'm finding the Navajo culture and spirituality fascinating, and they're just GOOD mysteries! No cats...but you can't have everything!

K Koveshnikov , the Joe Grey series is one of my all-time favorites! Ms. Murphy does such a wonderful job of having her cats talk, but retain their essential "catness," which can be a hard balance for an author. I first entered her world via "The Catswold Portal," which I read way back in 1993 or 1994, whenever it first came out in paperback, and was enthralled with it. It was many years later that I found the Joe Grey series, and after a few books realized that THIS was tied to my old favorite! Of course, I immediately tracked down a copy of "The Catswold Portal" so that I would have it with the series! And the Lee Fontana books are there, as well.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
So guys, what was your favorite book or book series of the year?
M mia : just getting around to answering this. Checked my library account history, and I read 31 books last year. More than I thought, as that's 1 a week, plus 5. So I'm impressed.

So looking over the list, from what I remember, and the ratings I gave each book, here's my favourites:

Books:
A Gentleman in Moscow by Amor Towles
The Mountain Between Us by Charles Martin
Catching the Wind by Melanie Dobson
Summer of '69 by Elin Hilderbrand
An Unwanted Guest by Shari Lapena
The Wife Between Us by Greer Hendricks & Sarah Pekkanen
Girls with Sharp Sticks by Suzanne Young

Series: Ten Beach Road Series by Wendy Wax

verna davies

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I finished a Peter James book friday called Sweet Heart. It was really good. He's a new author to me so hoping all his books are as good as he's written 30 ish, that will keep me quiet for a while. I'm now on The House on Cold Hill.

Mamanyt1953

Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
STILL reading Leaphorn and Chee. I'm working on "Hunting Badger" now, and still enjoying them as much as ever. I may take a break here after this one and read "Louisiana Longshot." I'm getting antsy for that one!

Koveshnikov

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
The New York Times bestselling author of No Cats Allowed and Arsenic and Old Books is back with more Southern charm and beguiling mystery as Charlie and Diesel must find a killer in a room full of librarians...

Lighthearted librarian Charlie Harris is known around his hometown of Athena, Mississippi, for walking his cat, a rescued Maine Coon named Diesel. But he may soon be taken for a walk himself in handcuffs...

Charlie is stressed out. The Southern Academic Libraries Association is holding this year's annual meeting at Athena College. Since Charlie is the interim library director, he must deliver the welcome speech to all the visiting librarians. And as if that weren't bad enough, the keynote address will be delivered by Charlie's old nemesis from library school.

It's been thirty years since Charlie has seen Gavin Fong, and he's still an insufferable know-it-all capable of getting under everyone's skin. In his keynote, Gavin puts forth a most unpopular opinion: that degreed librarians will be obsolete in the academic libraries of the future. So, when Gavin is found dead, no one seems too upset...

But Charlie, who was seen having a heated argument with Gavin after the speech, has jumped to the top of the suspect list. Now Charlie and Diesel must check out every clue to refine their search for the real killer among them before the next book Charlie reads comes from a prison library...

Attachments

Mamanyt1953

Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
SO....I finished "Hunting Badger," and was very pleased with it. We're getting a little more personal life for Leaphorn AND Chee, but it isn't over-done at all.

I'm now reading "Louisiana Longshot" by Jana deLeon by way of a short break from the above series. I've just started it, but in the first 25 pages, I had laughed out loud TWICE, and by page 75, had spit my iced tea. The book didn't get wet, but only because I laughed so hard I dropped it. I'm gonna LOVE the Miss Fortune series!

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I just finished two quick reads by Debbie Tung, "Quiet Girl in a Noisy World : An Introvert’s Story" and "Book Love". Books

Both are written comic-book style. I could really identify with the first book since I'm an introvert myself. A two page spread in the book perfectly sums up my childhood.

Mia6

Top Cat
Purraise
I just finished two quick reads by Debbie Tung, "Quiet Girl in a Noisy World : An Introvert’s Story" and "Book Love". Books

Both are written comic-book style. I could really identify with the first book since I'm an introvert myself. A two page spread in the book perfectly sums up my childhood.
Do you have siblings?

Mia6

Top Cat
Purraise
I'm The going to read a scary book in between reading The Mountain Between Us. Mush just read it and said
it was way scary and there is a sequel, I downloaded the EBook to my tablet, they didn't have the sequel
but Hoopla did, but I downloaded it my laptop instead of my tablet. So I'll have to adjust that.

The title is The House on Cold Hill of and the sequel is The Secret of Cold Hill by Peter James.
I'm going across the pond for these so Mush is putting in a supply of beans and brown bread, bacon,
brown sauce, gammon, and cheese , and chips;🥓 🧀 🍟 🥪🍞

Mamanyt1953

Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Back to Leaphorn and Chee. This time, "The Sinister Pig." Just started it last night (VERY LATE) and already caught up in it!

Status
Not open for further replies.