All Thing Books And Reading Thread 2019

Status
Not open for further replies.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
rubysmama rubysmama Many of the books Mamanyt1953 Mamanyt1953 mentioned aren't available here either. Not as ebooks. I envy her selections. :)
It's frustrating, I know. And, yes, I could buy books, but it's so much easier to download them from the library. I've even found, sometimes, the book I want is available as an audiobook, but not ebook. :sigh:

Speaking of cat books, Mamanyt1953 Mamanyt1953 , my library has this one:
Alfie the Holiday Cat (Alfie #4) by Rachel Wells

Have you read any of that series?

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
rubysmama rubysmama Many of the books Mamanyt1953 Mamanyt1953 mentioned aren't available here either. Not as ebooks. I envy her selections. :)
Ah, but I am addicted to old-fashioned, printed books. I love everything about them!

Speaking of cat books, Mamanyt1953 Mamanyt1953 , my library has this one:
Alfie the Holiday Cat (Alfie #4) by Rachel Wells

Have you read any of that series?
Not yet, but they are now on my "too read" list at Goodreads, AND on my wishlist at Thriftbooks, so I will be!

Still reading "The Mystery of the Ninth Life," and loving the gentle simplicity of it. The story is fun, the cats are wonderful, and I just plain like it!

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Not yet, but they are now on my "too read" list at Goodreads, AND on my wishlist at Thriftbooks, so I will be!
Just what you needed, right? More books for your wishlist. :lol:

The holiday one has 30 people waiting on the one copy, so maybe if I put it on hold now, I'll get to read it by December. :rolleyes:

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
I'm still working on The Cabinet of Curiosities - Preston/Child

From the library:
Lucky Stiff - Annelise Ryan
Collector of Secrets - Richard Goodfellow
Elevate - Stephen King

BTW, my Pendergast collection is now up to Dance of Death. I've got a ways to go. I've been going through eBay and the hardcovers are a little less than $4, plus free shipping. I don't think that's bad.

Mia6

Mother of one and numerous ferals
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm reading The Haunting of Cabin Green. It's about a guy, Ben, who decides to spend some time at the cabin he co-owns with 3 friends to help him get over the death of his fiancee three months before. His friends think he went to a resort at Virginia Beach. It is sooo scary!!:fear::eek::help:

Winchester

Veteran
Purraise
I'm reading The Haunting of Cabin Green. It's about a guy, Ben, who decides to spend some time at the cabin he co-owns with 3 friends to help him get over the death of his fiancee three months before. His friends think he went to a resort at Virginia Beach. It is sooo scary!!:fear::eek::help:
Well, dang. I just went to our library (ebook) to see if they had it. They do not. Sounds like it'd be a good one!

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Well, dang. I just went to our library (ebook) to see if they had it. They do not. Sounds like it'd be a good one!
My library doesn't have the e-book either. Probably just as well, as I'm a scaredy cat, and don't normally read scary books. :fear:

Mamanyt1953

Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Am currently reading We have always lived in the castle by Shirely Jackson.
That's actually on my "To Read" list!

I just finished "The Toll-Gate" by Georgette Heyer, since I'm a member of the Heyer group on Goodreads, and that was our January read. I'm a fan of GOOD Regency romances, and Heyer is the undisputed Queen of the genre. SO much fun to revisit this book!

Yes, I've read ALL of them, more than once. I'm now reading "The Grand Sophy," which is a delightful Regency romp, for the...well...I've read it at least twice a year for the last 45 years, so I'm probably into triple digits now, and I'm still not tired of it. I need to finish it up, though, and get started on February's book, "Bath Tangle." That should keep me busy and off the streets for another 3-4 days.

Mia6

Top Cat
Purraise
I'm going to start The Second Wife by Sheryl Browne.

I also started a book about Anne Perry, a crime writer who with her childhood friend, Pauline Parker, killed Pauline's mother in Christchurch, New Zealand in the 1950s. She changed her name from Juliet Hume but when Peter Jackson made a film about the case in the 90s, she was outed. The film is entitled Heavenly Creatures.

Winchester

Veteran
Purraise
Finished The Cabinet of Curiosities last night and started Still Life With Crows.

Has anybody ever heard of thriftbooks.com? Or am I just late to the party? I had bought two Pendergast books from thriftbooks on eBay. Went to the site and finished my Pendergast shopping last night. The remaining books in the series will be shipped soon. I paid less than $4 for most of them, one or two might have been $5 and City of Endless Night was $6+change, which still isn't bad for a book just published last year. Not bad for hardcovers in "Like New" condition. Shipping is free.

I'll be busy for a while. Still getting books from the library to give myself a break, but most of my reading is from the series.

Mia6

Top Cat
Purraise
Finished The Cabinet of Curiosities last night and started Still Life With Crows.

Has anybody ever heard of thriftbooks.com? Or am I just late to the party? I had bought two Pendergast books from thriftbooks on eBay. Went to the site and finished my Pendergast shopping last night. The remaining books in the series will be shipped soon. I paid less than $4 for most of them, one or two might have been $5 and City of Endless Night was $6+change, which still isn't bad for a book just published last year. Not bad for hardcovers in "Like New" condition. Shipping is free.

I'll be busy for a while. Still getting books from the library to give myself a break, but most of my reading is from the series.
I've bought a few from them at really cheap prices. Older books but they were in good condition. Sounds like you got some good deals.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I finished it and it scared me a lot! I haven't read a horror book in quite a while and I've forgotten how good they can be.
You know, "scared", "horror", and "good" don't seem like the belong in the same sentence. :lol:

I also started a book about Anne Perry, a crime writer who with her childhood friend, Pauline Parker, killed Pauline's mother in Christchurch, New Zealand in the 1950s.
I heard about that. I'm not a fan of her books, and glad I'm not, because learning something like that would have turned me off for sure.

Mamanyt1953

Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Has anybody ever heard of thriftbooks.com?
They're my BESTEST BUDDIES! I've ordered over 450 books from them now, and probably closer to 550. I've had to contact customer service TWO times, and each time my issue was resolved promptly, efficiently, and in the friendliest manner possible! Yep, free shipping on orders over $10, and you get points towards free books with each purchase that are automatically applied. With my budget, they allow me to read all I want to and STILL keep the lights on and eat at least twice a day!

I finished "The Grand Sophy" by Georgette Heyer last night, and started on her "Bath Tangle," which is the February book on my Heyer Goodreads group. Now, I've read "The Grand Sophy" probably over 100 times in the last 50-ish years, but I never get tired of it. I never get tired of any of her Regency romances, although I never got caught up in her mystery books.

Mia6

Top Cat
Purraise
You know, "scared", "horror", and "good" don't seem like the belong in the same sentence. :lol:

I heard about that. I'm not a fan of her books, and glad I'm not, because learning something like that would have turned me off for sure.
I haven't read any of her books either but after I saw the film I wanted to know more about her and Pauline Parker. Pauline went on to run a riding school in England.

Status
Not open for further replies.