All Thing Books And Reading Thread 2019

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tobermory

“What greater gift than the love of a cat.”
Staff Member
Purraise
I’ve checked out The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society because I watched the movie last night on Netflix and found the story so touching. I knew but had forgotten that the Nazis occupied Guernsey during WW2. Elizabeth George set one of her books there as well.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I had to Google "Guernsey" as I'd never heard of it before. Since I've been reading a lot of WW2 books lately, I've put the e-book on hold at my library. I'm # 57 on 8 copies, so it'll be a bit of a wait.

Tobermory

Staff Member
Purraise
I had to Google "Guernsey" as I'd never heard of it before. Since I've been reading a lot of WW2 books lately, I've put the e-book on hold at my library. I'm # 57 on 8 copies, so it'll be a bit of a wait.
It must be popular because my library had 30+ e-books with only four available. Well, three now! :) I usually much prefer a book to its movie adaptation, and I read the book first. We’ll see if it holds true for this one since I’m doing it backwards. (I highly recommend the movie, though.)

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I generally like to read the book first too. And usually the book is better than the movie. Let us know what you think of the book, once you finish it.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I’ve checked out The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society because I watched the movie last night on Netflix and found the story so touching.
HA! I just put it on my Watch list! Thanks!

I generally like to read the book first too. And usually the book is better than the movie.
I used to read, then watch, but since the movies always kinda dissappointed me, I've started watching them first, and reading after. That way, I'm just thrilled by the book, but still liked the movie for what it was.

I'm working on another Georgette Heyer, for my reading group at Goodreads. This time, "Bath Tangle." Now, I'm no stranger to ANY of her books, but it is fun reading them again after a several-year hiatus!

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Any books about Cats you Cat parents would recommend?
Two non-fiction ones I've read:

Homer's Odyssey: A Fearless Feline Tale, or How I Learned about Love and Life with a Blind Wonder Cat by Gwen Cooper (about a blind cat)

Making Rounds with Oscar: The Extraordinary Gift of an Ordinary Cat by David Dosa (about a cat that seemed to know when residents at a nursing home were about to die)

I haven't read these, but there's a fictional series of warrior cats that is pretty popular. They're written for teens/young adults, but from what I've read there is a lot of violence between the cats, so for that reason I've been hesitant to read them.

Books | Warrior Cats

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
I finished Still Life with Crows last night and will start Brimstone today.

Library ebooks on my iPad:
Frozen Stiff - Annalise Ryan (the Mattie Winston series)
Suffer the Children - Lisa Black
Liar, Liar - Lisa Jackson
The High Tide Club - Mary Kay Andrews

Mia6

Mother of one and numerous ferals
Top Cat
Purraise

A Street Cat Named Bob - This looks interesting (Not affiliate link)

The Secret Language Of Cats - Anyone read this book?

Cat Language Bible - This looks interesting too!

Anyone read any of the above?

Any other recommendations?
I haven't read any of those but would like to. I had a book written by a pet psychologist that was really good but was destroyed in a fire and I can't remember the name. She did write about how cats can grieve so badly for one that has gone to the bridge that they can become ill. It was written in the 90s.

foxxycat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Honeybee on my lap, music playing in background
Ive been on an english kick lately. Reading stories of WW@ in London/outskirts.

Just finished Wing and a Prayer by Helen Carey not realizing it's book #3. waiting for Lavender Road in the mail. She is a really good writer! Lots going on! A true
Saga.
I just finished Without A Mother's Love from Catherine King.

Read Dee Williams Pride and Joy and Katie's Kitchen. Really good! I love buying books on Ebay! Found a seller that costs only 3.58 a book with free shipping..these english printed books are rare for me to find..I got quite the collection in the past few weeks...I guess making up for lost time when I wasn't buying much of anything.

Just started Dee Williams Maggie's Market-I think I may have read it 10 years ago but so far doesn't look familiar.

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
I'm still working on Brimstone.

The last of my Pendergast bounty arrived at my office this morning. The remaining 8 books were delivered from Thriftbooks, in four packages. They came from all over; some were shipped from Oregon, some from Vegas, some from Maryland, etc. Now I have all of them and I can continue to just read from one to the next.

Tobermory

Staff Member
Purraise
I generally like to read the book first too. And usually the book is better than the movie. Let us know what you think of the book, once you finish it.
I just finished reading The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society. I am in love. I want to go live with Juliet and Dawsey and Amelia and Isola and Eben and the others with Sidney coming periodically to visit. It’s an epistolary novel—the story is told entirely through the letters the characters write to one another.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I just finished reading The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society. I am in love. I want to go live with Juliet and Dawsey and Amelia and Isola and Eben and the others with Sidney coming periodically to visit.
I'm looking forward to reading it. I'm # 54 on 8 copies now, so 3 closer already.

It’s an epistolary novel—the story is told entirely through the letters the characters write to one another.
If you're interested in reading another epistolary novel, there's Last Christmas in Paris: A Novel of World War I by Hazel Gaynor

Even though it's got Christmas in the title, it's not a Christmas novel. It takes place during WW1 and is also told only through letters.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
"Paw Prints in the Moonlight" is excellent.

I've finished "Bath Tangle" for my reading group, as well as "The Spanish Bride," just because, both by Georgette Heyer, the undisputed queen of the Regency Romance.

I'm now on "Cross My Path," by Clea Simon. #3 of the "Blackie and Care" series, and a very noir sort of book. Not my usual thing, but this series has really dragged me in, kicking and screaming all the way. Set in some distopian Some Time and Some Place, it is the story of a very young teen, on her own, and the cat she rescues from certain death...who is something more. Together, they set up as detectives, although Care does not realize that Blackie is more than just a companion. As I said, not my usual type thing, but this series really has me. There are just the three so far, so if anyone might like it, you won't have much to catch up on.

rosegold

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I'm currently reading Space Opera by Catherynne M. Valente. It's hilarious and a lot of fun so far. Reminiscent of The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy, but a bit more chaotic and flamboyant. I discovered Valente after reading her excellent short story "Planet Lion" in an online literary magazine.

Status
Not open for further replies.