All Thing Books And Reading Thread 2019

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mia6

Mother of one and numerous ferals
Top Cat
Purraise
I finished The Second Wife by Sheryl Browne and going to start The Perfect Child by Lucinda Berry, my fave genre at the moment, psychological thrillers.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I finished "Cross My Path," and then gulped down "No Escape Claws" by Sophie Ryan, almost in one gulp! I rather adore Elvis, the cat, and had been waiting for this one to come out. NOW, I'm reading "The Cracked Spine," the first of the Scottish Bookstore Mystery" series by Paige Shelton. I'm only a few pages in, but I'll let you know how it goes!

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
For Pendergast fans, sign up for the Preston/Douglas newsletter at [email protected]

They're working on a short story/novella that will be given away to all newsletter subscribers.

BTW, they're also starting a new series, based on Nora Kelly and Corrie Swanson; fans would know who the women are. The first book will take place with Nora at the scene of the Donner Party encampment in the Sierras in California and Corrie investigating grave robbing in New Mexico.

I'm thinking this series will be every bit as good as Pendergast.

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
then gulped down "No Escape Claws" by Sophie Ryan, almost in one gulp! I rather adore Elvis, the cat, and had been waiting for this one to come out.
Yep, I read that in one sitting. Sofie Ryan is also Sofie Kelly, who writes the "Magical Cats" series.

I'm just finishing up the "Hazel Hart Cozy Mystery Series " by Louise Lynn, which is just okay.

Tobermory

“What greater gift than the love of a cat.”
Staff Member
Purraise

Mia6

Top Cat
Purraise
I'm reading Spare Room on my tablet by Dreda Say Mitchel. I'd never heard of her but she's won some awards. It's suspenseful and one of those psychological thrillers I love.

Mamanyt1953

Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I JUST finished "The Cracked Spine," a Scottish Bookstore Mystery by Paige Shelton. First one in the series. Not my usual cozy fare, I tend towards cats, cooking, and the paranormal, but I really liked it. There wasn't a lot of scintillating conversation, but the characters were fun, likable and believable, the prose was easy to read, and the plot was solid. I didn't know whodunit until the very end! I'll be starting the second book, "Bagpipes and Old Bones" when I'm finished here at TCS.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I'll be starting the second book, "Bagpipes and Old Bones" when I'm finished here at TCS.
My library doesn't have book 1, but it does have this one in e-reader format, so be sure to post what you think of it. And if it's a standalone, or if you need to read book 1 first.

I'm still reading the The House on Mermaid Point by Wendy Wax.

Mamanyt1953

Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Am currently reading A Streetcat Named Bob which I've been meaning to read for a while. A great and heartwarming story.
I loved that. There are several more in that vein, as well. I have a list if you want it.

And if it's a standalone, or if you need to read book 1 first.
I'm only a few pages in, but I'll let you know!

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
I'm about halfway through Dance of Death. I'm reading other books, too.

On my iPad from the library:
Twelve Angry Librarians - Miranda James (Turns out I had read it before, but it's cute, so I read it again)
Miranda's Big Mistake - Jill Mansell
Josh and Hazel's Guide to Not Dating - Christina Lauren
Maid for Murder - Barbara Colley
Some Kind of Hero - Suzanne Brockmann (I like her Troublershooter series. I had also read this before)

On the Nook app on my iPad:
The Gatekeeper - Heather Graham (a novella)
A Perfect Blood - Kim Harrison (#10 in the Hollows series)
Ghosts and Their Family - Gary Weston

Rick's mom has my Nook. I downloaded the Nook app to my Ipad, so if I see something I like, I can download it to the app and read it that way. And it shows up on the Nook, too, so if Evelyn wants to read it, she can. She kind of likes Heather Graham. Kind of.

Mamanyt1953

Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
My library doesn't have book 1, but it does have this one in e-reader format, so be sure to post what you think of it. And if it's a standalone, or if you need to read book 1 first.
OK, a bit over half way through. Yes, you can read it as a stand-alone, but do read the first one when you have an opportunity. None of the actual plot depends on anything in the first book, and there's a little bit of backstory in the second, but you'll do fine. Of course, it is always idea when you can meet the characters from day one, but you'll enjoy this if you're a fan of cozy mysteries!

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
OK, a bit over half way through. Yes, you can read it as a stand-alone, but do read the first one when you have an opportunity.
Not sure if my library will ever get book 1 in e-book version, but good to know book 2 can be read as a stand-alone. I'll add it to my wish list. :read:

Mia6

Top Cat
Purraise
Almost done with Spare Room...just downloaded an e-book from the library, Tear Me Apart, by J.T. Ellison. Never heard of her but it sounds good.

CatCrazy777

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I'm reading Sapiens: A brief history of humankind by Yuval Noah Harari - absolutely love it, it its the most interesting read, and would recommend it to absolutely everyone! I was worried it might be too heavy but the authors style of writing prevents this.

Mia6

Top Cat
Purraise
I'm reading Sapiens: A brief history of humankind by Yuval Noah Harari - absolutely love it, it its the most interesting read, and would recommend it to absolutely everyone! I was worried it might be too heavy but the authors style of writing prevents this.
I've heard of that. I may read it now thanks to your recommendation. :thanks:

Status
Not open for further replies.