All Thing Books And Reading Thread 2019

Status
Not open for further replies.

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
Mamanyt1953 Mamanyt1953 I'm about halfway through Hunt for Atlantis and it's not bad. There are a lot of exclamation points throughout and I can do without them. Not everything deserves an exclamation point, IMO. But the plot seems to be OK. I like Preston/Child much better. I'll let you know what I think after I'm finished. There's a whole series of (maybe) 20 or so books about Wilde and Chase. It's weird that I never heard of him.

While I like the Mrs. Murphy/Sneaky Pie Brown series, she does get on these tangents and that sometimes ruins the book for me. She really gets going politically at times. For a couple of books, she was on the breast cancer soapbox (and I don't mean to be rude or non-caring, honest). After a while, it just gets annoying. I never noticed that she did any fat-shaming, unless you're talking about them making fun of Pewter for being overweight. Sometimes, unfortunately, I don't really notice something until it smacks me in the head.

I love Thriftbooks, too. I was able to buy the entire Pendergast series for an excellent price. I'm thinking about starting to buy the Dirk Pitt series by Clive Cussler, although I need to wait until my own books are unpacked because I know I have quite a few of them already. I think I'd like to start reading them from the first book on, like I did with Pendergast.

verna davies

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I am rereading some books I read years ago. Pattersons Ist to die and just finished Chasing the Dead by Tim Weaver. Enjoyed them both. Now I have started Someone We Know by Shari Lapena.

Mia6

Mother of one and numerous ferals
Top Cat
Purraise
I am rereading some books I read years ago. Pattersons Ist to die and just finished Chasing the Dead by Tim Weaver. Enjoyed them both. Now I have started Someone We Know by Shari Lapena.
I love Shari Lapena books. I'm trying to read The Last Time I Lied by Riley Sager on the deck but I keep thinking of the Vincie girl. I put a book on reserve called The Arrangement by Robyn Harding; I am the next person in line for it and it sounds good.

The Arrangement by Robyn Harding

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I never noticed that she did any fat-shaming, unless you're talking about them making fun of Pewter for being overweight.
It is subtle, for the most part, except for poor Pewter, but she drops sentences about attended High School reunions to "see who porked on 100 pounds" and such in almost every book. SOMEONE is TEN WHOLE POUNDS overweight, or she's glad there isn't an ounce of fat on her husband, or someone meets somebody and immediately goes on a diet to look perfect...Subtle, but there.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise

catspaw66

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I just finished the first (free) book of the Flint K-9 Search and Rescue Mystery Series. Not bad. Not really my style, though. I believe there are 5 books currently. Got the first one from BookBub for free.

I also finished Weapons of Choice, the "Final Countdown" clone. Eh.

DreamerRose

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I just gave up on Sacred Duty by Tom Cotton. A friend recommended it; it's about Arlington National Cemetery and the Old Guard that serves in the funerals and as guard duty for the Tomb of the Unknown. If you aren't familiar with the cemetery or the Army unit, you might like it. But, I grew up a mile or two away and both my parents are buried there, so it was a familiar story to me. Local newspapers regularly carried stories about the soldiers and the cemetery.

The Old Guard is stationed at Fort Meyer, next to the cemetery. We were able to hear them playing Taps on a clear summer evening. A fond memory.

Mia6

Mother of one and numerous ferals
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm reading The Last Time I Lied when I'm on the deck but I can't read it for long because it's a hardbound book and it hurts my hands and arms but it's very good.
I began a reread of On the Beach, a paperback, and I forgot how good it is.
When I'm reading in my bedroom I can only read on my tablet and I'm still reading Divided House-Dark Yorkshire Mysteries, number 1 in the DI Caslin series.

I'm very much enjoying Divided House but the author uses a lot of words that I've never heard. I read a lot of books by British authors, maybe it's the Yorkshire way of speaking?
He usually has the characters say "Aye", instead of yes.

Last edited:

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Got the first one from BookBub for free.
When I first got my e-reader, I downloaded some books from BookBub. But I got discouraged when I got the 1st book in a trilogy for free, but the others I would have had to buy. It wasn't that good a book, and though I did wonder what happened next, I dropped the series, and BookBub, and stick to borrowing e-books from the library now. I also make sure all the books in a series are available before I read the first one.

Who else loves the Great British Bake Off?
I do. But I've only seen one or maybe 2 seasons of it. :(

Canada has our own version now, though.
https://www.cbc.ca/life/greatcanadianbakingshow

I took a break from suspense novels and non-fiction and read this instead: What Would Mary Berry Do? by Claire Sandy Another favorite genre of mine :read:

It's a cute fun read :-)
Sound cute.

I'm currently reading Girls with Sharp Sticks by Suzanne Young which I saw recommended by someone on another forum.

upload_2019-8-30_9-11-47.png

Here's the description from Amazon:
Westworld meets The Handmaid's Tale in this start to a thrilling, subversive near future series from New York Times bestselling author Suzanne Young about a girls-only private high school that is far more than it appears to be.
Some of the prettiest flowers have the sharpest thorns.

Last edited:

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
I just read some very forgettable free cozy mysteries (so bad I deleted them from my Kindle), then Airs Above the Ground by Mary Stewart. I started her The Moonspinners late last night and was surprised at how much of the plot I remember. I read all of her books decades and decades ago (the Merlin books several times) and am pretty sure I have My Brother Michael somewhere around here.

catspaw66

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
When I first got my e-reader, I downloaded some books from BookBub. But I got discouraged when I got the 1st book in a trilogy for free, but the others I would have had to buy. It wasn't that good a book, and though I did wonder what happened next, I dropped the series, and BookBub, and stick to borrowing e-books from the library now.
My library still doesn't have any e-books. Any free ones I can get (in the genres I read) are welcomed. I have found a few series where the first one is free and the set is sold cheaply. Most of the time though, the free first one is OK, but not worth following.

Last edited by a moderator:

DreamerRose

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't much care for the British baking show. They give the contestants weird items to bake that no one's heard of. When they asked for an American pie, they gave the contestants a fluted pie pan, like a tart pan. Who ever made a Key Lime pie in a fluted pan? It looked like Paul Hollywood didn't know how to bake an American pie. Other than the Key Lime pie, the other pies weren't really American pies. Not an apple or pecan in the bunch.

Status
Not open for further replies.