All Thing Books And Reading Thread 2019

Status
Not open for further replies.

mani

Moderator and fervent feline fan
Staff Member
Purraise
I've just been up to the independent bookshop - it does a lot of talks by writers, book clubs etc. They have seven book clubs and I was stunned to see they've started a Cats in Literature (Catlit) one! And it's at a time I can go (it's an hour's drive away).
Just got the first book:
The Guest Cat - Takashi Hiraide
@Norachan have you heard of it?
It's a short book but looks delightful. :)

Mia6

Mother of one and numerous ferals
Top Cat
Purraise
I've just been up to the independent bookshop - it does a lot of talks by writers, book clubs etc. They have seven book clubs and I was stunned to see they've started a Cats in Literature (Catlit) one! And it's at a time I can go (it's an hour's drive away).
Just got the first book:
The Guest Cat - Takashi Hiraide
@Norachan have you heard of it?
It's a short book but looks delightful. :)
Catlit, ha!! Glad you can go. :read:

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I began a reread of On the Beach, a paperback, and I forgot how good it is.
I love that book! I'm putting on my "to get" list, since my copy is long, long gone!

I'm reading "Tail Gait," in the Mrs. Murphy series. Just one more to go. Well, three, but I only have one. The last two have to wait until they're on Thriftbooks for a good price.

Lola3791

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I finally finished the Legends of the Guardian-King series! :woohoo: I really liked the series but I'm ready to move on to something else. I'm going to read Priceless by Joel and Luke Smallbone. I loved the movie so I'm excited to read the book. :read:

nurseangel

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I've just started The Storyteller's Secret. So far it's excellent, but I love books about India. Next, I will probably read a factual book on Lyme disease and/or Plum Island. I think they walk hand-in-hand...

Mia6

Top Cat
Purraise
I've just started The Storyteller's Secret. So far it's excellent, but I love books about India. Next, I will probably read a factual book on Lyme disease and/or Plum Island. I think they walk hand-in-hand...
Storyteller's Secret sounds good! Welcome or welcome back to the reading thread!

Mia6

Top Cat
Purraise
I finished The Last Time I Lied by Riley Sager and all can say is WOWZA!!!
I bet no one figures this one out if they read it. I was stunned by the ending.

I just started Book 2 of the Dark Yorkshire Mysteries DI Caslin series on my tablet which I read in my bedroom. Nate Caslin is an amazing DI but flawed as well. He has a drinking problem, and uses other drugs.

In the first book his wife, who he is separated from, began seeing a new man and Nate was jealous and hurt. They have 2 children. Because of the dangerous case he was working on, he asked Karen to take the kids and go early to France where new boyfriend has a holiday home.

I think I'll read Final Girls by Riley Sager next, which is in hard copy.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Mia6 Mia6 I actually just finished a book, Girls with Sharp Sticks by Suzzane Young.

It is a YA novel, and it did have a minor love interest thread, but it wasn't a triangle at least, and the boy wasn't part of the main cast of protagonists for most of the book. I wouldn't actually call it a romance for most of the book, just curiosity/crush. The main focus was girls supporting girls. It was set in a girl's boarding school with some...let's call them very misogynist staff, and a curriculum that includes things like interior decorating, art appreciation, and maintaining an appealing garden, and keeps things like math and science to rare classes that barely cover enough to let them figure out how to measure the right amount of plant food for that appealing garden. The story focuses on the girls pulling together and slowly realizing that the way they are being treated isn't okay.

I would advise NOT reading user-submitted reviews or checking the tags/categories your library has applied, as most spoil the ending twist, which was otherwise set up pretty well. The Booklist and School Library Journal reviews are decently major spoiler free, and warn appropriately of some of the darker themes.
I thought I saw the recommendation for this book in another forum, but it was here, afterall.

I read it in 3 or 4 days! Which is fast for me. So I guess that means I liked it!

I was ok with the darker themes, though I could see it being a problem for some people. The twists, however, I didn't see coming at all.

Looking forward to the sequel. Thanks for recommending it.

I finished The Last Time I Lied by Riley Sager and all can say is WOWZA!!!
I bet no one figures this one out if they read it. I was stunned by the ending.
Just reserved it at the library!!
I just reserved it too.

Oh, about to start a book by a Canadian author.

Beholden by Lesley Crewe
upload_2019-9-2_19-26-50.png

Here's the blurb from Goodreads:
The story begins with Nell, the "spinster on the hill" near St. Peter's, Cape Breton. Scarred by her own childhood, she swears she could never love a child and that she will never marry, denying herself a life with the man she loves. She's proven wrong when a baby is born just down the road from her. Her love of little Jane, despite herself, propels us forward through generations trying to untangle their own traumas and secrets. Eventually, we meet Bridie, joyful, kind, capable Bridie, and see her struggling through the echoing pain of those who came before her. Her choices, her bravery, her "nest of wonderful women," and her ultimate refusal to settle for anything less than love, eventually redeem her and everyone around her, even the spinster on the hill.

Last edited:

Mia6

Top Cat
Purraise
rubysmama rubysmama Beholder sounds very good. Have you read anything else by her?

Mamanyt1953 Mamanyt1953 Are you going to evacuate?

Couldn't read yesterday but the next one will be Turn of the Key by Ruth Ware.
Started Blacklight, Book 2 of The Yorkshire Dark Mysteries-DI Nathaniel Caslin, on my tablet.

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
I had mentioned The Hunt for Atlantis by Andy McDermott, a recommendation from Thriftbooks. Finished it....it was good. Not as tight as the Pendergast series and a bit verbose in spots. But not bad overall. My library doesn't have all the books in ebook format, so I have to skip the second and go onto the third in the series, "The Secret of Excalibur". I also just finished Heather Graham's "The Summoning".

Lola3791

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I finished Priceless. It was a great book, but very heavy to read. Sometimes I'd stop reading to deeply refect on a certain part of the book, which is not something I normally do.
Now I'm reading the Anne of Green Gables series.

Status
Not open for further replies.