All Thing Books And Reading Thread 2019

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mia6

Mother of one and numerous ferals
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm so enjoying The Lying Game by Ruth Ware. Next up in hard copy will be Summer of 69. I want to read Final Girls first but there are holds on Summer of 69 and I only have another week to have it. On my tablet, I'm loving Divided House Book 1 of the Dark Yorkshire Series. Nathaniel Caslin is the DI of the series. He has probs with alchohol and is separated from his wife and has 2 kids. He doesn't always follow the rules but he is a good cop.

How are you guys coming along with what you're reading?

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
I bought Dead Bones (Preston/Child). It should be here on Thursday. I had a Amazon Kindle gift card for $25 that they let me use for the hardcover copy. It worked.

Rhall Rhall Yes, I've read and like Harlan Coban. Not many of them, but I've read a few. I should try more.

I've started reading Linda Castillo's Kate Burkholder series. Excellent. She's a former member of the Amish community who left due to a sexual attack when she was very young. She comes back as the community chief of police. It's really interesting.

I recently discovered Louise Penny's Chief Inspector Gamache series. Excellent reads.

Mia6

Top Cat
Purraise
I've started reading Linda Castillo's Kate Burkholder series. Excellent. She's a former member of the Amish community who left due to a sexual attack when she was very young. She comes back as the community chief of police. It's really interesting.

I recently discovered Louise Penny's Chief Inspector Gamache series. Excellent reads.
Those both sound really good!

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
I finished Eryn Scott's Stoneybrook Mysteries series, which wasn't bad at all, apart from some of her grammar. Then I read her Pepper Brooks collection, which wasn't all that interesting.

I keep downloading free cozy mysteries, then thinking I really should read them even if I don't like them. :lol: There have been some good ones, but I've read several that were a complete waste of time.

Next up is Jonathan Kellerman's The Murderer's Daughter (not part of the Alex Delaware series), which I've had on my Kindle for months.

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
I finished The Murderer's Daughter, which was enjoyable even if it wasn't part of the Alex Delaware series. Then I read A City Owned (Murder by Increments #1) by O.J.Modjeska, about the Hillside Stranglers of the late 70s. The second Increments book, Killing Cousins, is up next. They're similar to The Hillside Stranglers by Darcy O'Brien, which I read years ago, but focused less on the investigation and more on family background.

Mia6

Top Cat
Purraise
I've been trying to read The Last Time I Lied by Riley Sager but I keep getting distracted because of the Vincie girl situation. I am still reading Divided House on my tablet.

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
Mia6 Mia6 :redheartpump:

Has anybody ever read anything by Andy McDermott? I just got an email from Thriftbooks and, based on my enjoyment of Preston/Child, they are recommending that I try (well, actually buy) books written by McDermott. It's the Nina Wilde and Eddie Chase series and the first book is called The Hunt for Atlantis.

I have to admit that I'm intrigued and downloaded the book from the library. Haven't had a chance to really check it out yet.

Good books, just OK books? Opinions?

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hugs, Mia6 Mia6 , just...hugs.

Winchester Winchester , let me know if you like that series. I might try it. I KNOW I love Thriftbooks!

I just finished "The Litter of the Law," the 22nd of the Mrs. Murphy books. I really like it. It dealt with "paper genocide" in Virginia, when bureaucrats would change the "Indian" designation on birth certificates to "colored" (the actual terms in use at that time...1800's) to deny tribal membership. Then, of course, no one could prove NA birth. It essentially wiped out tribes in Virginia, which then did not have to give assistance. And it took until the 21st century to correct it! This was one of those "light reading" books that actually sparked a whole flurry of research for me. I love it when a book does that, especially unexpectedly!

Unfortunately, Ms. Brown continues fat-shaming. I could do without that. It's a rather insidious form of bullying, and unfortunately one that is almost socially acceptable. That said, I otherwise enjoy the books, and I love Mrs. Murphy, Pewter and Tee Tucker!

Status
Not open for further replies.