All Thing Books And Reading Thread 2019

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rhall

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I have a taste for fantasy and YA fiction, and I go through phases where I adore or loathe romance in fiction. Sometimes you just want a good old fashioned story WITHOUT the drama of will-they-or-won't they, you know? You want romance, you'll find it most everywhere, and there's even a whole genre devoted to it. You're burned out on romantic sub-plots and want a nice adventure minus the romance? ...good luck with that, it might be out there, but you're going to have to really search for it.
I do too! Have you read any good ones lately?

Attachments

Lola3791

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I tend to like stories where the protagonists get drug through heck backwards, but get the happy ending they earned. Also, my reading speed is....pretty fast, so I devour published stuff too fast.

I have a taste for fantasy and YA fiction, and I go through phases where I adore or loathe romance in fiction.

Also...ah...I maaaaaaaay be a librarian? :wave3:
I love certain books in YA. Fantasy is my favorite book genre. I love books with a good adventure, relatable characters, and some romance. I also read quickly and people think I'm weird because of it.
When I was little I wanted to be a librarian until I found out it doesn't pay much.:lol:

catspaw66

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
*sneaks in* Oooooh, reading thread. I tend to like stories where the protagonists get drug through heck backwards, but get the happy ending they earned. In fiction, at least, the good guys can win and live happily ever after.

I adore world building, characterization with depth, and good pacing. I also...*looks around nervously, drops voice to a whisper*...like fan fiction. Now, most of it is horrible, but some of it....oh, some of it is amazing. I love it for how it gives different takes on familiar characters, or can dig into a missed opportunity or what if in a story. Also, my reading speed is....pretty fast, so I devour published stuff too fast.

I have a taste for fantasy and YA fiction, and I go through phases where I adore or loathe romance in fiction. Sometimes you just want a good old fashioned story WITHOUT the drama of will-they-or-won't they, you know? You want romance, you'll find it most everywhere, and there's even a whole genre devoted to it. You're burned out on romantic sub-plots and want a nice adventure minus the romance? ...good luck with that, it might be out there, but you're going to have to really search for it.

Also...ah...I maaaaaaaay be a librarian? :wave3:
Bravo! My sister works in a library. Do you still have a card catalog? Made of oak, brass drawer pulls, smells like old books when you open it? :nerd:

Mia6

Mother of one and numerous ferals
Top Cat
Purraise
I reread In a Dark, Dark, Wood and am waiting for a few from the library that are coming from other libraries. The Death of Mrs. Westaway by Ruth Ware who wrote In a Dark, Dark, Wood and The Woman in Cabin 10, should arrive first.
I just put The Rumour on reserve as my library has it! All they'll do is pull it and I'll be able to pick it up on Monday as it was not checked out. Thanks @MissClouseau , I think I'll enjoy it.

So I will be reading The Other-written by Thomas Tryon who wrote Harvest Home
The Death of Mrs. Westaway-Ruth Ware
The Rumour-Kara Lesley
Summer of 69- but I am 3 on a hold list
The Silent Patient- also a wait list but they have several
copies

LittleShadow

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Mia6 Mia6 I actually just finished a book, Girls with Sharp Sticks by Suzzane Young.

It is a YA novel, and it did have a minor love interest thread, but it wasn't a triangle at least, and the boy wasn't part of the main cast of protagonists for most of the book. I wouldn't actually call it a romance for most of the book, just curiosity/crush. The main focus was girls supporting girls. It was set in a girl's boarding school with some...let's call them very misogynist staff, and a curriculum that includes things like interior decorating, art appreciation, and maintaining an appealing garden, and keeps things like math and science to rare classes that barely cover enough to let them figure out how to measure the right amount of plant food for that appealing garden. The story focuses on the girls pulling together and slowly realizing that the way they are being treated isn't okay.

I would advise NOT reading user-submitted reviews or checking the tags/categories your library has applied, as most spoil the ending twist, which was otherwise set up pretty well. The Booklist and School Library Journal reviews are decently major spoiler free, and warn appropriately of some of the darker themes.

catspaw66 catspaw66 I have organized a card catalog before (I needed X number of hours doing a new task...and I'd been volunteering for about five years at that point. The librarian looked stumped, looked around, then 'accidentally' pulled out all the drawers and dumped them in a bin for me to put back in order and put away.), but no library I've worked at has actually USED the card catalog if they had it. One had a card catalog re-purposed into a seed library though!

Rhall Rhall I'm currently in a mood where I'm not too bothered by romance threads, so long as it isn't a triangle, and I'm drawing a blank right now on NO romance recs, because my brain ladies and gentlemen, it does that. The above mentioned Girls with Sharp Sticks was pretty low key on the romantic angle though, it was more...curiosity and 'yeah, I guess that boy I saw once for three minutes was cute, what would having a boyfriend be like?' from girl's boarding school girls. It wasn't 'I met him once for a few minutes, it must be twue wuv!' that is so popular right now. It was pretty heavy on some darker misogynist themes (and fighting them) though, so careful if that bothers you.

Last edited:

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
*sneaks in* Oooooh, reading thread.
Welcome! BOY, are you in the right place! AND a librarian. I'm kinda-sorta a librarian, but only insofar as I have about 850 books in my house, obsessively organized, with another 1600 on my "to read" list (I need a bigger house).

SO...I'm STILL working my way through the Mrs. Murphy series. The latest one is only available in hard back, so I have to wait a bit for that one, but I DID order "Sneaky Pie Brown's Cookbook for Mystery Lovers," and am anxiously awaiting its arrival! Right now, I'm reading "The Tail of the Tip-Off," which is #11.

I have three shorter series waiting in the wings, as well as the not-short-at-all "The Cat Who" series by Lillian Jackson Braun, AND the also-not-short-at-all "Leaphorn and Chee" series by Tony and Anne Hillerman. And a few odd-balls, catch-up books from other series, and some Mary Stewarts.

I've missed you guys this last week, but I changed my last name back to my maiden name (15 years after the divorce, I procrastinate), and have spent all day every day chasing around getting ALL of my records switched over!

LittleShadow

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Aha! Brain back online. Some books where romance isn't the main point.

Leviathan by Scott Westerfeld
-YA Steampunk WWI historical fiction

Terrier by Tamora Pierce
-YA Fantasy medieval setting, following a new member of the city guard in one of the less tame areas of the city

Circle of Magic series by Tamora Pierce
-Starts out juvenile and grows to young adult along with the characters in a series of quartets and individual books, focuses on four magic users with atypical magic and their education. Three girls and a boy, and they have sibling-like relationships and a wide variety of backgrounds, from noble to thief.

While Mercedes Lackey's Five Hundred Kingdoms series isn't no-romance, it's amazing for the take on tropes. There is a force in that world called The Tradition, which is a non-sentient power that most people are unaware of that tries to nudge things into traditional roles. For example, if your father a widowed merchant who just married a widow with two daughters of her own, it will try to nudge you into a Cinderella role. The thing is, The Tradition just wants things to follow well-worn paths...be it happy endings or tragedies. It's various protagonists are characters who are aware of The Tradition, and often attempt to use it to twist things to happy endings, and are perfectly aware of the tropes and cliches it will try to enforce.

I'll try to poke my mind for more, but those are a couple of my recs! I've got a craving for some dystopia/post-apocalyptic fiction, hold the love triangles right now but miiight be able to tolerate non-plot-tumor romance, if anyone has something to suggest.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Mia6 Mia6 I actually just finished a book, Girls with Sharp Sticks by Suzzane Young.
That one sounds interesting, and my library has the e-book, so I've just put it on hold.

I finally finished From a Good Home by Trudi Johnson and in the author's notes, it mentions she's working on a sequel, so even though it wasn't the most riveting book, I'd still be interested in seeing what happens next.

And now for something different, for me, I've started An Unwanted Guest by Shari Lapena

Rhall

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
If there is a card catalog available, I will go to that before using the computers. Longtime library lurker here.
That's interesting! I do all my searching of books at home and check them out there and pick them up when they are in. I rarely go in to the library looking around. How things change!

catspaw66

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Aha! Brain back online. Some books where romance isn't the main point.

Leviathan by Scott Westerfeld
-YA Steampunk WWI historical fiction

Terrier by Tamora Pierce
-YA Fantasy medieval setting, following a new member of the city guard in one of the less tame areas of the city

Circle of Magic series by Tamora Pierce
-Starts out juvenile and grows to young adult along with the characters in a series of quartets and individual books, focuses on four magic users with atypical magic and their education. Three girls and a boy, and they have sibling-like relationships and a wide variety of backgrounds, from noble to thief.

While Mercedes Lackey's Five Hundred Kingdoms series isn't no-romance, it's amazing for the take on tropes. There is a force in that world called The Tradition, which is a non-sentient power that most people are unaware of that tries to nudge things into traditional roles. For example, if your father a widowed merchant who just married a widow with two daughters of her own, it will try to nudge you into a Cinderella role. The thing is, The Tradition just wants things to follow well-worn paths...be it happy endings or tragedies. It's various protagonists are characters who are aware of The Tradition, and often attempt to use it to twist things to happy endings, and are perfectly aware of the tropes and cliches it will try to enforce.

I'll try to poke my mind for more, but those are a couple of my recs! I've got a craving for some dystopia/post-apocalyptic fiction, hold the love triangles right now but miiight be able to tolerate non-plot-tumor romance, if anyone has something to suggest.
For post -apocalyptic fiction, I recommend "Alas, Babylon". It has been a favorite of mine for 40 years.

And for Steampunk: The Steamborn Trilogy by Eric R Asher.

Last edited:

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Heh, I'll have to look into those steampunk books, that could be fun :)

If you're up for having your heart broken and put back together several times over, laughing out loud at times and all while being fascinated by a world most of us know little to nothing about, Terry Masear authored a book detailing her days as a hummingbird rehabber. She has an excellent insight into the birds and the rescuers, and doesn't hesitate to educate.

Fastest Things on Wings

Status
Not open for further replies.