All Thing Books And Reading Thread 2019

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
For post -apocalyptic fiction, I recommend "Alas, Babylon". It has been a favorite of mine for 40 years.
One of my all-time favorite books! I've probably owned at least 6 copies since I first read it in 1969. I also loved "Emergence," by David Palmer, as well as "Nature's End," by Whitley Strieber and James Kunetka.

Mia6

Mother of one and numerous ferals
Top Cat
Purraise
I've got a craving for some dystopia/post-apocalyptic fiction, hold the love triangles right now but miiight be able to tolerate non-plot-tumor romance, if anyone has something to suggest.
Have you read The Hunger Games? I read all 3 books and didn't realize it was YA till I had put the book down, picked it back up and saw it on the inside cover. Yes,
there is romance but it's not the main focus.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Still plowing through the Mrs. Murphy books, with LOTS of interruptions. Normal I can read 4-6 books a week. I'm doing 2-3 right now.

Mia6

Mother of one and numerous ferals
Top Cat
Purraise
That's what I'm trying to decide - I've downloaded about 15 books over the past few days and am not sure whether I want something light or "heavy".
Have you read Sophie's Choice by William Styron? It's one of my fave book but heavy.

rubysmama rubysmama How are you finding Unwanted Guest? The author has written several books.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
rubysmama rubysmama How are you finding Unwanted Guest? The author has written several books.
I finished it yesterday! Must be close to a record for me - only 4 days!!! It was a quick read, and kept me turning the pages, or err, swiping the screen. ;)

I'll spoiler a couple thoughts, in case anyone else plans to read it.
Even though I was trying to figure it out, I didn't guess Lauren at all. I was also surprised at the twist that Beverly killed her cheating husband. I really found the book a "fun ride", however, I do have to say I did find it a bit disturbing that so many people died.

Are her other books similar to this one?

So I wasn't sure what I wanted to read next. Wasn't in the mood for another "who dunnit", and though I looked at a few "summer reads" nothing really caught my eye. Then Love Saves the Day by Gwen Cooper popped up as an option, so I'm going to read it. Sounds cute, as it's "primarily told through the eyes of the most observant member of any human family: the cat." :catman:

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
With Lauren, I guess someone had to be the killer, but Beverly was unexpected. Especially since her husband was thinking of killing her!

Yes, they are mysteries.
I'll have to read them next time I'm in the mood for a mystery.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Mia6 Mia6 :
I agree Henry was a jerk, but I still didn't like that Bev turned into a murderer, which made her just as bad as him.

DreamerRose

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Does anyone here watch movies? I just binge-watched The Last Kingdom and understand it's a series of 11 books. It helped that the main character looks just like my oldest son. The Silent Patient was good, rather different from the usual thriller. I took out Season 1 of Outlander due to everyone's raves about it. I just discovered the library is a better source of movies than Netflix.

Status
Not open for further replies.