Adventures With The Felv Fosters

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

SheriB

FELV and Foster advocate
Alpha Cat
Purraise
jcat jcat Thank You, and Welcome! The cats’ space is always evolving and there are so many things I want to do to make it better for them!

Norachan Norachan Goose is back to himself this morning (yay!). I have had many cats for many years but it still scares me when they are “not right”.

Norachan and jcat I’m thinking maybe the behavior I observed that first day was a fluke, DuckDuck has not been all that different for the last few days so I’m grateful for your encouragement. My second order of Zylkene should arrive today and then we will have a thirty day supply for all of the trouble makers in the group. I think if they can all calm down just a little bit it will help the group dynamic. These cats have been through a lot of traumatic changes in the last year and they deserve a break! Me too! I did some research and there is a version for humans called De-stress so I sent for some. I’m prone to anxiety and I don’t want to be adding to their tension with my own. I haven’t talked about the four cats who have come to us and died this year but it is so difficult every time, even though they were obviously very sick when they got here. So I’m going to include me in the group.

Last edited:

SheriB

FELV and Foster advocate
Alpha Cat
Purraise
This is not one of the FeLV crew but of a long term foster I took in with four others when their owner went into the hospital. Ostensibly they are up for adoption but being very close to seniors and very skittish from having lived in isolation and neglect for seven months before I rescued them, they have very little chance of getting adopted. So I’m slowly trying to introduce them to my cats. I took Fluffy out to explore the yard today, where he met Tiffin who thought he was very interesting. He looks quite cross in the picture but they actually got along fine.
E189ABEA-DB62-4657-A94B-4A64205D24EA.jpeg

SheriB

FELV and Foster advocate
Alpha Cat
Purraise
777F27C9-2F6B-47B4-AE80-50F8A0D9D72E.jpeg
I got to spend time in my little greenhouse these last few days and got around to planting pots of grass for the kitties. Hopefully these pots are big enough that they won’t turn them over but not big enough to pee in.:whiskers:

SheriB

FELV and Foster advocate
Alpha Cat
Purraise
42FDE775-4E8A-4D2F-BA0E-617F9E51D571.jpeg
Sweet Cupcake is up and about today after a Depo-Medrol shot. Her nose had become so stuffy she couldn’t smell her food. I had to take her to the shelter to get someone to help hold her because she’s such a strong little fighter I cannot give her shots without help. So now that she can smell again she gets to have some of her favorite snack, a piece of caramel popcorn!

SheriB

FELV and Foster advocate
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Not only do you have a big heart, you put legs on it!
I'm so wowed at your energy!
Walli thank you! I’m grateful to say that the cats are my job so I can spend a lot of energy on them. Of course, it’s a job without a paycheck, but so rewarding!

SheriB

FELV and Foster advocate
Alpha Cat
Purraise
ED0E3BCF-62E8-4415-AE3E-51BB95F96914.jpeg
Well I was trying to come up with a post about the Zylkene and I fell asleep, so I guess it’s having an effect on me at least. Day 4 for me, day 10 for most of the cats. It seems to be making some difference with them but it’s kind of hard to say. I’m thinking maybe DuckDuck will need a stronger dose since she’s so big. She has become obsessive about the laser toy and will crouch motionless waiting for it. I have restricted it to evenings in the garage, and she will wait there the whole time I’m doing the evening chores and playing with the other cats.

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
Beautiful pictures again Sheri.

:loveeyes:

Is Fluffy the long haired tux? He looks like my boys, Hiro and Button, both big fluffy tux boys that shouldn't be messed with.

I hope those flower pots aren't too tempting for the cats. I have some planters up on metal stands that are living just inside the front door at the moment. The other day Chicken decided to hop into one and pee.

:doh:

I thought they would be too high and too wobbly for them to climb into, but Chicken is special like that.

SheriB

FELV and Foster advocate
Alpha Cat
Purraise
96A014D7-55A2-44BD-9114-05DF5551CEAF.jpeg
331B6452-8B97-4170-89FB-E566689CFAE8.jpeg
Beautiful pictures again Sheri.

:loveeyes:

Is Fluffy the long haired tux? He looks like my boys, Hiro and Button, both big fluffy tux boys that shouldn't be messed with.

I hope those flower pots aren't too tempting for the cats. I have some planters up on metal stands that are living just inside the front door at the moment. The other day Chicken decided to hop into one and pee.

:doh:

I thought they would be too high and too wobbly for them to climb into, but Chicken is special like that.
Haha, yes, some cats are special like that, and nothing is safe!

Yes, Fluffy is the big long haired Tux, much like your beautiful boys. He even has the “bobtail” gene so his tail is about 6 inches long with a kink at the end. He’s so beautiful and such a pleasure to watch. As to being messed with, he’s the most easy going of his clowder, he seldom even realizes when someone is messing with him.
Surprising news today, the shelter got an inquiry about Fluffy and Sugar from their picture on the Facebook page. I had pretty much decided that would never happen because of their age. Especially wonderful since she wants to keep them together. A very nice woman, she is coming to meet them tomorrow. I have to remember to breathe, it will be fantastic for them to have a home, but I am going to miss them so much!

After thinking about the peeing in the flowerpot problem I have decided on this solution, three glass bulbs which have stems that go down into the soil. They are meant for a watering tool but are useless for that since they don’t work, but they might work by making sure there’s no room for the cat to stand in the pot. The grass will grow up around them and they should deter any but the most “special” cats!

Last edited:

SheriB

FELV and Foster advocate
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Today was mostly taken up with meeting the young (in their thirties but young to me, haha) couple who want to adopt Fluffy and Sugar. I was terribly nervous but they were very nice and understanding when the cats were shy of them. They are going to take them on Monday which is awesome and sad, I will miss them, so that was pretty much all I could handle today.
The FeLV babies are all doing well right now, I’m so grateful! Still a bit of conflict, but they seem a little less obsessive about it.

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
That's wonderful news!

It's always sad to see them go, but you must feel very relieved knowing they will be going to live with such a nice couple.

(I've been stalking my foster kittens on the Cat Cafe home page for the past few weeks, trying to find out if they have new homes yet)

Will you get updates on Fluffy and Sugar? Will you be taking in any more cats from the shelter now?

SheriB

FELV and Foster advocate
Alpha Cat
Purraise
That's wonderful news!

It's always sad to see them go, but you must feel very relieved knowing they will be going to live with such a nice couple.

(I've been stalking my foster kittens on the Cat Cafe home page for the past few weeks, trying to find out if they have new homes yet)

Will you get updates on Fluffy and Sugar? Will you be taking in any more cats from the shelter now?
The adopters and I have each other’s phone number so it’s possible they will send me updates. I’m trying to establish a rapport with them by sending them photos of Fluffy and Sugar now before they pick them up.

After this there are still three more from that group, Fox and Oscar, and Pumpkin. So they will still have that room and outdoor enclosure. They are so cute and are on the website for adoption so anything is possible! Fox is the most skittish of all of them, he slinks around giving me suspicious looks if he thinks ANYTHING is going on. It’s a bit of a problem because he’s going to be tough to adopt out but he can’t join my group either because I’ve tried and he attacks my cats. So he may be in that room furrever and I won’t be able to use it for other shelter cats. Oscar is highly adoptable but he and Fox have such a strong bond, Fox would be so lonely without him, but it’s hardly fair to make Oscar live without freedom just to keep Fox company. I really don’t know what to do about them.

4C5C51DC-7F4F-4439-9319-396C3C76FA3F.jpeg

Oscar with Pumpkin in the box.

Best buddies Fox and Oscar.

Are the kittens strays or ferals that you took in? How awesome to have them in a cat cafe! We don’t have one here but I keep working on a cat loving restauranteur that I know.:)

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
Are the kittens strays or ferals that you took in? How awesome to have them in a cat cafe! We don’t have one here but I keep working on a cat loving restauranteur that I know.:)
Feral born, but they lost their Mum when they were around 4 weeks old. A friend found them all crying in some bushes and brought them to me, which we really lucky. I don't think they would have survived a night on their own.

Because we found them so young and handled them a lot they were very tame when they went to be re-homed. They got on well with all of our other cats too, so it's nice to know they've gone to a cat cafe. Plenty of other cats to hang out with.

Fox and Oscar do look very sweet together.

:itslove:

SheriB

FELV and Foster advocate
Alpha Cat
Purraise
3B0F0C11-EF4B-4814-8D9A-9936B3B4F432.jpeg
19C833A7-9504-4352-8A0D-56733DDD2AC6.jpeg
Fluffy and Sugar got picked up yesterday afternoon. I was a nervous wreck all day! Thank goodness my daughter called and gave me a chance to talk out all of that pent up emotion! The adopters sent photos of them leaving their carriers.

Docs Mom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
SheriD I just found this thread, I am so happy for your positives !!! You have created a truly wonderful home for them.
I had my Felv room occupied until last May, when I lost my last, Biscuit. I started learning about it in 2007, when a gorgeous little kitten, Tristan tested positive.... unfortunately, he was IFA negative for his first 24 mos. so he spent his time with just me as a companion. When the IFA went positive I found him a friend...and there began my long journey with Felv.

The room was small, 2 was my max. I spent the next 10 yrs. loving and losing them. Wouldn't change anything.... but I am giving myself a rest now because it just takes so much emotional strength. But they were all such special kitties.
My avatar is Serendipity, who I adopted to be Tristan's roommate. Unfortunately, her travel logistics took awhile. He got sick about a week before she arrived. He passed a week later from lymphoma in his chest. Serendipity was with me for just a few months after that.. she was a real sweetheart.

the story is much longer with five more kitties... to be told some other time.

Thank you for giving these special kitties the life they deserve...

Lisa