Adventures With The Felv Fosters

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

SheriB

FELV and Foster advocate
Alpha Cat
Purraise
SheriD I just found this thread, I am so happy for your positives !!! You have created a truly wonderful home for them.
I had my Felv room occupied until last May, when I lost my last, Biscuit. I started learning about it in 2007, when a gorgeous little kitten, Tristan tested positive.... unfortunately, he was IFA negative for his first 24 mos. so he spent his time with just me as a companion. When the IFA went positive I found him a friend...and there began my long journey with Felv.

The room was small, 2 was my max. I spent the next 10 yrs. loving and losing them. Wouldn't change anything.... but I am giving myself a rest now because it just takes so much emotional strength. But they were all such special kitties.
My avatar is Serendipity, who I adopted to be Tristan's roommate. Unfortunately, her travel logistics took awhile. He got sick about a week before she arrived. He passed a week later from lymphoma in his chest. Serendipity was with me for just a few months after that.. she was a real sweetheart.

the story is much longer with five more kitties... to be told some other time.

Thank you for giving these special kitties the life they deserve...

Lisa
Aw Lisa, I am so touched by your story! It is so hard when they go, I understand why you would want to take a break. Thank you for giving so much love to these sweet babies!

SheriB

FELV and Foster advocate
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Docs Mom Docs Mom , Beautiful Cranberry reminds me so much of Sadie, my first cat when I was in college, ever so long ago. And Salem is so lovely and mysterious, makes me want to plunge my hands into their beautiful fur!

Miss Minnie Growly Pants was having a great time tonight, I call it “the rips” when they zoom around wild eyed and puff tailed, playing with things only they can see. Having a blast and still growling at everyone while she did it.:confused:
932BFBFA-927C-458A-AFE4-29BEB52A9913.jpeg

SheriB

FELV and Foster advocate
Alpha Cat
Purraise
2F4BA93C-FB5C-4CC5-A6C1-802F37FB1B63.jpeg
Fluffy and Sugar are lucky to have each other. That will make settling in to their new home so much easier.

Minnie is gorgeous! What beautiful eyes.
Thanks! I agree, she is spectacular, and quite loving and playful, as long as you’re not another cat!

Last edited:

SheriB

FELV and Foster advocate
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I thought I would put in a picture of the indoor space that I made in the area where the wood stove used to be in our basement. It is in the big room and attaches on one side to “Club Med”. It serves as a halfway room for new cats after their two weeks in isolation and before they get released into the group. Also it helps for any kitty who needs to get away from the others, sometimes when they get sick and need to feel safe. Right now it serves as a place for Minnie to go so that she can take a break from keeping track of all of her enemies. I put her in there at night or when she’s being particularly aggressive. I think she actually likes it and feels that she can relax in there, sometimes she goes in during the day on her own. And of course the others like not being growled and hissed at. In the picture Aggie is checking it out.
C326FF0D-2168-45B7-847E-6008D88073CB.jpeg

SheriB

FELV and Foster advocate
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Do they have a chandelier in there? Oh, you really are spoiling them!

:lol:
Haha, the chandelier is a cast off from a friend’s remodel, but I love it against the brick. So yeah, they have a Chandelier room.

Not so happy with things downstairs today, Goose got into the big room and attacked Minnie. It was a serious fight and I’m pretty sure he bit her, so she’s on the amoxicillin again. I don’t know what I’m going to do about him, he’s only tolerant of the teenagers and DuckDuck. He bullies DuckDuck, but she is too big for him to actually attack. I would move him to a separate space if I had one, but that would mean more work for me to clean and I would have to find more time to spend with him every day. I had hoped he would be able to re-join the group but I cannot have him attacking the others. I’m going to have to think about this some more.

SheriB

FELV and Foster advocate
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Took Goose on a field trip today, out to the greenhouse. I thought he might enjoy it, but after a brief exploration, and an even more brief moment on my lap, he just went and sat on his carrier, waiting to go in.
CF6A411E-7870-43F9-B15D-82823A3F8C5D.jpeg

SheriB

FELV and Foster advocate
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Working on the garage today, trying to turn part of it into a safe area for the kitties. Aggie and Fino were helping me. When I wanted them to go in I found them cuddled up in my grandson’s baby rocker stored on the very top shelf next to the ceiling. They like the chair so much I’m going to incorporate it in their space. Maybe I’ll pick up a few more at yard sales, they seem perfect for kitties!
847C2DD2-3B07-446D-BA4F-9CB36CC63EBB.jpeg

SheriB

FELV and Foster advocate
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Poor sweet Cupcake has taken a turn for the worse with changes in her condition and behavior. She abandoned her heating pad for a basket by the window. Her little ears are icy cold and her eyes have once again become goopy. She sleeps all the time, I have only seen her get up once in the last few days when she used the catbox and drank some water.
I am giving her fluids and wiping her eyes to keep them open, but that’s as much as I can do for her. I think she moved to the basket for security so I put two baskets in that area, one on a heating pad and one not. When I move her into the heated one she seems to enjoy it and relax a little, but any time I leave and come back she has moved to the unheated bed. Two other cats in my care who were near the end of their time seemed to prefer not having heat. It’s so sad, but she has never been truly healthy so her eight years of life may be all we can hope for. I know she enjoyed her last year, playing and getting some sunshine and fresh air. And maybe she’s not done yet, I don’t know for sure. I will make sure she is loved to the end, but my heart is hurting.

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
Oh, poor Cupcake! I home she's just feeling under the weather and isn't really on her way out. It's good that she can still make it to the litter box on her own. I had a really sick male cat with FIV once. We did everything we could for him, but when it got to the point of carrying him to the litter box and then helping him back out we realised it was time to let him go.

Whatever happens she's had a much better life than she ever would have had thanks to you.

Vibes for Cupcake and hugs for you.

:vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes:
:grouphug2::grouphug::grouphug2::grouphug::grouphug2:

Docs Mom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I'm sorry that Cupcake is feeling so bad... but 8 yrs ! That is a longer than usual life for Felv.
I hope that this is just a temporary setback :hugs: :crossfingers:

SheriB

FELV and Foster advocate
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I'm sorry that Cupcake is feeling so bad... but 8 yrs ! That is a longer than usual life for Felv.
Thanks, Norachan, could use a hug right now, feeling a little blue. I took Cupcake to the shelter today just to confer with the director, she helped me give her extra fluids and some antibiotics, but she agreed with me, it’s only a matter of time. We do have resources to take care of her if she is suffering, but we’re not yet at that stage.

SheriB

FELV and Foster advocate
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Thanks Docs Mom!
It’s a little confusing because she originally tested negative and only showed positive last year when they tested her because she was getting sicker. I’m guessing it is possible for the virus to be there but dormant until their system is too weak to hold it off. That’s just my opinion, no research behind it, I’ve just seen this happen a few times and one of my vets talked about a 12 year old cat who was negative until she started to get sick, the vet said it was very surprising since she was an indoor cat all her life. I don’t know.
Anyway, thanks for the good wishes, she is a tough little fighter.

SheriB

FELV and Foster advocate
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Cupcake, of all the kitties you've shared with us, tugs at my heart. :hugs: All the hugs, for you and for Cupcake
Shar 371, thanks! Me too. Cupcake deserves every good minute that comes her way. She is more comfortable tonight after the extra fluids. We are going to do it again tomorrow morning so maybe it will help.