Adopting 2 Adult Female Cats??

TheMama

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi! I recently lost my baby of almost 19 years. I’d said so many times that I’d never get another cat, but so quickly after he was gone, I kept compulsively looking at cats up for adoption. My baby was a lap cat and friendly with absolutely everyone, so I was only interested in adopting a really affectionate cat to lavish with affection whenever home.

However, I’ve found two I really like. They’re both around 2 years old, very laid back, very affectionate, and like being held. They’re both perfect, but one has been living in a shelter, and the other in a foster home. They’re both female and spayed.

I had thought about the benefits of having two cats (mainly that they wouldn’t be alone when I work long hours). But I’m worried about the best way to introduce them. I’d likely try to get them on the same day, but there would still be at least a 4 or 5-hour gap between arrivals, possibly a day.

All the information I’ve found is either for introducing a new cat to a home with an established cat, or bringing home two cats from the same shelter or litter. I’m confused on whether I should keep them separated, even though there really isn’t an established one. What would be the best way to introduce these two?

Also, since they’re both really affectionate, I worry that one may feel jealous of the other. With my first baby, he was the only one so my attention was never split. I worry getting both cats would end up being upsetting to one or both of them. How can I minimize this possibility?

What recommendations would y’all make? It’s so hard to choose just one because they’re both perfect for me but I don’t want either to feel neglected, but I also would hate for a single cat to feel lonely when I’m at work! Help!

rosegold

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Have either of them lived with other cats before? That would be my first question. I have adopted two adult female cats within months of each other (and probably could have done it sooner) but both of them were accustomed to living with other cats and their personalities meshed well, so introductions went well. Do you know anything about their personalities?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

TheMama

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks for your response! I know one has lived with other cats and been fine, but the one from the shelter is an unknown. She’s far from skittish though. How did you introduce your cats? Did you keep the new one separate at all?

rosegold

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Thanks for your response! I know one has lived with other cats and been fine, but the one from the shelter is an unknown. She’s far from skittish though. How did you introduce your cats? Did you keep the new one separate at all?
I kept them separated for about a month, but I had a unique situation because the newcomer was semi-feral when I got her, so I was working one-on-one with her during that time. Introductions went very smoothly otherwise though... I did it the typical way, kept the newcomer in a separate room and allowed them to eat on other sides of the door, gradually increasing sight and time spent together, switching scents, etc. The resident cat was cautious at first (she’d been a solo cat for several months at that point) but eventually adjusted well. Newcomer cat LOVED other cats so she was never really a problem lol. Resident cat took on the dominant role and newcomer was happy to be her adoring slave... so it worked out fine. :)

But yeah, it can take several weeks to months to finalize introductions, even in my case where I had two very chill and accepting cats. As long as you’re prepared for a longer introduction process, if you think their personalities won’t clash, I think you can make it work.

If I were you, I definitely would try to get both of them! :) But I’m not sure exactly of the logistics of who to bring home first. Hopefully someone who’s been in that situation can chime in! My gut says to start with the one who you know is fine with other cats (in the foster home?), let her adjust to “her” house, and then a few weeks or months later, introduce the other cat. If you know one cat will probably be accepting of new cats, that seems like the best place to start. But depending on the size of your house, maybe you can get them at the same time and keep them both in their own “rooms” for a time, and switch their scents around... so they would both have confidence to explore the neutral area of the house. But again, I’m just theorizing here since I haven’t had that exact situation.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hello and welcome to TCS. Condolences on the recent loss of your fur baby. :alright:
We have a Crossing the Bridge forum if you might like to post a tribute to him.
RIP sweet boy. :redheartpump::angel3::redheartpump:

About adopting 2 cats from different shelters, or in your case one shelter, one foster home, that's not a situation that comes up often. In fact a search only found these somewhat similar threads:

Advice for Integrating Two New Cats - What level of anxiety/aggression normal?
Adopting 2 New Cats from 2 different shelters (not really the same situation as yours)
Cats Moving In Together

There's also these TCS articles:
Your Second Cat: How To Choose The Best Friend For Kitty – Cat Articles
Introducing Cats To Cats
How To Successfully Introduce Cats: The Ultimate Guide
The Multi-cat Household
How To Safely Break Up A Cat Fight
How To Move With Your Cat To A New Home In A Safe Way

Hopefully someone who has actually adopted 2 cats at the same time, but from different shelters, will see this thread and reply.

Good luck. Do let us know what you decide to do.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You know, because they're both new to the house, I think a quick introduction might work in this instance (assuming they've both gotten their health clearances). Just set their carriers next to each other and let them get used to the smell, then let them both loose at the same time. Of course be ready to separate them if they fight, but possibly the uncertainty of being in a new place might make them bond with each other.

Anyway I'd probably give that a try. If it doesn't work you can go back to the usual slow introduction process.