Adopting 2 New Cats from 2 different shelters

roseycatlady

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello! I am new here on the site. Looking forward to reading the forums which to me has always been real, informative advice from TRUE cat experts!

But, like my new thread says....I'm in the process of adopting a beautiful, loving BUT VERY TIMID cat (1 to 2 yrs old), named Katami. The staff told me she has a "friend" that she is comfortable with but she gets along with all the cats. But, after reading the bio of her "friend" I don't feel moved to take him. He is also VERY RESERVED.

Then, I found another "potential friend" that I think would really bring out Katami's more. His name is Elvis and he is 4 yrs old, handsome, laid back, calm and gets along well with other cats. And he is NOT timid.

I feel that Elvis may be a better fit to bring out Katami more out of her shell, than the "friend".

Am I wrong? Any suggestions?

tulosai

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I'd definitely take her with the cat that is already her friend. It's unlikely that ANY other cat is going to change her personality toward humans, and if you get her and another cat from another shelter, you are going to have to go through an introduction process and hope for the best. Additionally, if you take her with her friend, you'll be saving 2 cats who might b e harder to place and I am sure they will be grateful to you for it and both come out of their shells somewhat once they realize they have a safe loving home with you.

Whatever you decide, thank you for helping these cats.

skyefoxx

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I would definitely stick with adopting her friend as well.  I volunteer at a local cat shelter and I adopted three shelter cats myself.  Honestly, I think just getting Katami out of there would really help the situation.  A shelter is a really overwhelming place for her since cats love their routines, they love their surroundings to be stable, and to know what's going on around them.  I think once she gets into the groove of being in your home she will do just fine.  My first cat, Thomas, was very reserved.  We had him for nearly 20 years and while he was typically overwhelmed when we had too much company over, he was perfectly fine and comfortable with the people he saw frequently.

Also, I think by adopting an unfamiliar cat you would just be adding to her stress and just cause her to become more reserved. What I'm finding in my own home is that a less timid cat may force her to become even more timid because they tend to be more pushy and take control.  Just food for thought!

Good luck!

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would take the 'friend' too (how about all three?
)    I found that a timid cat will always be timid and does not get along with other cats that are not timid, the bolder ones will dominate and bully. I agree also that these cats might change completely once they are adopted. They will definitely be less timid once they are secure and at a 'forever home'. Please give them a try. My only advise is that I would take a more timid cat over a bold cat any day, I've got one of each right now and the bold one is SO demanding he borders on irritating. But we love him for who he is! Even with his constant talking early in the morning and his bullying!